The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2023, 09:09 AM   #91
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Can't be that 'stealthy' if people are commenting on it...

Very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 09:10 AM   #92
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
One of the great moments in American television. Maybe the last time I watched it too.

Lol cheers

Old 21 August 2023, 09:44 AM   #93
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post
Wow ~ interesting thread with equally diverse responses. My suggestion OP would be a simple one, “read the room!” Some who comment on your watch(es) may do so as a simple compliment, they just like the look. Others might be a true WIS and appreciate interacting further with you. To “educate or correct” people might be of interest to you; however some won’t share your passion. It’s information overload for them; TMI. Let it be….read the room. Enjoy your collection.

This here is great advice. It's ok to be passionate, but not everyone is as we are here. Be thankful that someone at least noticed the nice watch - even though they really don;t have a clue. You go with the flow then
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 10:05 AM   #94
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wouldn’t know, no one ever comments on my watches
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 10:09 AM   #95
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I’m still waiting for someone to see my 5116R and say, “nice 5119”. Ha ha you fool!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 10:54 AM   #96
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Lol cheers

I congratulate you for the way you have replied to some of the more antagonistic posts on your thread.

Well done.

The way you have moved past some of the classless replies shows me who you are.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:12 AM   #97
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I congratulate you for the way you have replied to some of the more antagonistic posts on your thread.

Well done.

Thanks man! That honestly means a lot to me

Old 21 August 2023, 11:27 AM   #98
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

While I definitely dig the stealth, I don't really see an issue with correcting someone if they make specific reference to it being steel. Have fun with it perhaps "Yeah, it's a slightly heavier steel!"
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:39 AM   #99
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

Well done.

Damn right. Agreed times a million. I’ve had dozens and dozens of PM’s with him. Fantastic guy.

Quote:
Thanks man! That honestly means a lot to me

Keep being you pal and If I were to get that comment, I’d read the situation and go from there. If it were someone that I could have an enjoyable WIS conversation with I’d explain. If I felt unsafe or bothered which I have in the past I’d say oh this watch? Yeah its a fake.
Old 21 August 2023, 11:53 AM   #100
Dayton ssb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ss b
Don’t Explain. Those who know !! Know. Back in 2015, man came in told be Great Looking replica Daytona and I replied thanks. Kept eating my quarter pounder and went about my business. :)

Dayton ssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:54 AM   #101
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Damn right. Agreed times a million. I’ve had dozens and dozens of PM’s with him. Fantastic guy.

Keep being you pal and If I were to get that comment, I’d read the situation and go from there. If it were someone that I could have an enjoyable WIS conversation with I’d explain. If I felt unsafe or bothered which I have in the past I’d say oh this watch? Yeah its a fake.

My man Anthony! Thanks pal appreciate you so much Convo with the gent picked up again today. I think we’ve got a future WIS and forum member in the making! Maybe one day he finds this thread and can weigh in himself as to whether I’m an okay guy

Old 21 August 2023, 12:07 PM   #102
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
What, three pages and no pictures LOL. Not a Smurf but a WG Sub
I never clarify the metal if anyone compliments my WG Sub, I just say thanks.
I purchased it for myself to enjoy and don't really care whether anyone in the wild recognizes it for what it is. Actually, I'd rather they not to avoid the negative connotations some people attach to Rolex or spending more than USD100 on a watch.

Man that is beautiful! Enjoy it!

Old 21 August 2023, 12:14 PM   #103
samuel019

Quote:
My man Anthony! Thanks pal appreciate you so much Convo with the gent picked up again today. I think we’ve got a future WIS and forum member in the making! Maybe one day he finds this thread and can weigh in himself as to whether I’m an okay guy

Well make sure you tell him that PM is a slippery slope

Now go get that 509 to go with your awesome 619!
Old 21 August 2023, 12:16 PM   #104
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The only people who give a flying eff, about the details of the watch you are wearing, are right here! It’s why we all joined. We can share all the details of each new acquisition, with people who get us, and our passion for nice mechanical timepieces. It sounds like your own obsession, and it IS an obsession, is bordering on unhealthy. Who cares what strangers think?! We know it’s white gold, and are suitably impressed.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True, great comment! Brava!
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:26 PM   #105
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well make sure you tell him that PM is a slippery slope

Now go get that 509 to go with your awesome 619!

No way you heard it here I need something flashier so everyone can know I have GOLD!!!

Old 21 August 2023, 12:33 PM   #106
samuel019

Quote:

And if he joins I’m sure he will and you’re always good in my book

Oh I almost forgot about this story I was told by an owner of an A D that he shared with me years ago

As the story goes he had a watch in that he was having polished that he just recently sold. It had been damaged by a female that had bumped into him or passed him at a restaurant. Something about chairs IIRC but the woman was going nuts, going on and on about how expensive her watch was and on and on

Meanwhile the guy tried to keep calm and just apologized trying to diffuse the situation

The 2 watches in question? She was wearing some sort of Michael Kors watch

The guy? A Platona!

So you never know. Sometimes an explanation is good and sometimes maybe not

Old 21 August 2023, 12:35 PM   #107
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Why bother or worry about this?

Mostly any watch I wear, sooner or later, gets a “Nice watch!” comment. You can discuss your watches or watches with friends that care. That’s enough.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 03:38 PM   #108
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nobody ever noticed mine.
The 116619LB is not really a flashy watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000311 2.JPG (233.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 21 August 2023, 04:00 PM   #109
Megster
"TRF" Member

Whenever any0ne complements my Cookie Monster 126619LB, I usually unfastened the Oysterlock folding clasp and encourage him or her to try it on for size.Heck!Go ahead,snap a few shots or shoot a video and post wristshots on their IG or FB.If they ask specific questions,I'd answer, otherwise I don't bother explaining the differences btwn reg and pm
Megster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 05:20 PM   #110
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I still like the t-shirt and hat idea.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 10:53 PM   #111
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megster View Post
Whenever any0ne complements my Cookie Monster 126619LB, I usually unfastened the Oysterlock folding clasp and encourage him or her to try it on for size.Heck!Go ahead,snap a few shots or shoot a video and post wristshots on their IG or FB.If they ask specific questions,I'd answer, otherwise I don't bother explaining the differences btwn reg and pm

A long time ago I complimented a guy on his deep sea, told him I loved them but prob couldn’t pull off the size. He took it off and handed it to me to try. Thought that was pretty cool. Obviously it has to be the right situation to do something like that though! Btw then I started talking about the case redesign between the 116660 and 126660. He didn’t really know what I was talking about. Another example of me going to far on the watch convo I guess

Old 21 August 2023, 10:54 PM   #112
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
I still like the t-shirt and hat idea.

Lol it was funny I have to admit. But I think it should say “ask me about my stealthy under the radar watch”

Old 21 August 2023, 10:56 PM   #113
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
No need to correct people, it's uncool IMHO. You wanted stealth, you got stealth.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 10:58 PM   #114
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I still think the most people believe it is best not to go into details about the composition of a watch where an uninformed person just compliments the watch. Having this view is not being antagonistic. Making sure casual observers understand a watch is solid gold and not SS is not something most people want to do. OP has stated it is not about the cost/value, it is not about the gold, and it negatively impacts the stealth of the watch. It is only about horology, if I read him right. So, what is the point? Who really benefits? Is it the casual observer or the wearer? Why wow strangers? These discussions, IMO, are best done with other collectors.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:04 PM   #115
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I still think the most people believe it is best not to go into details about the composition of a watch where an uninformed person just compliments the watch. Having this view is not being antagonistic. Making sure casual observers understand a watch is solid gold and not SS is not something most people want to do. OP has stated it is not about the cost/value, it is not about the gold, and it negatively impacts the stealth of the watch. It is only about horology, if I read him right. So, what is the point? Who really benefits? Is it the casual observer or the wearer? Why wow strangers? These discussions, IMO, are best done with other collectors.

I think you raise an important distinction. Think I was motivated to go out of character because of the setting (as has been discussed) but also the guy came across as a budding (but still a bit confused) collector. Told me he had a datejust actually (which I told him was an awesome piece). So in my head I thought oh he might appreciate this. And that turned out to be true. We talked watches for the next little bit. So I think it just depends on the context/situation.

Old 21 August 2023, 11:17 PM   #116
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not the $ part tho. It’s the watch collector in me who wants my piece to be correctly discussed.

My advice, not asked for, is to learn to not care how your 'things' are discussed by people you don't know and don't care about.

If you want to have a watch discussion, have an appropriate discussion. "Thanks for noticing my watch" honestly is plenty. If they have questions and you want to entertain them, do so. If you think they might want to hear more . . . you can engage. But just don't be "the watch jerk" who feels compelled to inform random strangers about their watch, whether it's about the $ or whatever else.

But to take it upon yourself to ensure that rando's "correctly discuss" your watch is way over the top IMHO. It's "watch jerk" territory in general.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 11:19 PM   #117
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
My advice, not asked for, is to learn to not care how your 'things' are discussed by people you don't know and don't care about.

If you want to have a watch discussion, have an appropriate discussion. "Thanks for noticing my watch" honestly is plenty. If they have questions and you want to entertain them, do so. If you think they might want to hear more . . . you can engage. But just don't be "the watch jerk" who feels compelled to inform random strangers about their watch, whether it's about the $ or whatever else.

But to take it upon yourself to ensure that rando's "correctly discuss" your watch is way over the top IMHO. It's "watch jerk" territory in general.

I agree with that 100 percent. Have you read the rest of the thread/context?

Old 21 August 2023, 11:25 PM   #118
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And if he joins I’m sure he will and you’re always good in my book

Oh I almost forgot about this story I was told by an owner of an A D that he shared with me years ago

As the story goes he had a watch in that he was having polished that he just recently sold. It had been damaged by a female that had bumped into him or passed him at a restaurant. Something about chairs IIRC but the woman was going nuts, going on and on about how expensive her watch was and on and on

Meanwhile the guy tried to keep calm and just apologized trying to diffuse the situation

The 2 watches in question? She was wearing some sort of Michael Kors watch

The guy? A Platona!

So you never know. Sometimes an explanation is good and sometimes maybe not

Lol I am trying to think of the car equivalent in a fender bender. I think there are YouTube videos like that.
Old 21 August 2023, 11:34 PM   #119
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Trade it for AP 15510st or YG GMTGRNR
Old 21 August 2023, 11:42 PM   #120
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Trade it for AP 15510st or YG GMTGRNR
Oh man that GMT is gorgeous! I'd still pick my Smurf + hat + t-shirt combo , but if I ever went YG that might be the one that gets me there.