The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2014, 06:01 AM   #1171
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc_watches View Post

...But when I go BEAST MODE, I reach for my DSSD:

And I love the new dial.

Just a word to the wise, but posting pictures of guns will get you banned!
Old 7 August 2014, 06:04 AM   #1172
Zpeedbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:

Personally - having seen it in the metal - I love the look. Awesome stuff.

Show of hands! How many commenting here have seen the watch outside of a glass case, handled it and put it on their wrist - AND aren't already turned off from the beginning by the DSSD's crazy proportions and overengineered specs? Hm? I know Oryx and I have seen it. Anyone else?

And I love the new dial.
I've seen it in the metal today. I'm really surprised how good the blue dial looks and I'm not a fan of the DSSD otherwise. It's too big for my skinny wrists but it really looks great. No, I went and put myself on the waiting list for a PP 5711 instead but if you can pull off a size of watch like the DSSD go ahead

Sea-Dweller, Explorer II, IWC Flieger Chronograph, AP Royal Oak
Zpeedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2014, 06:09 AM   #1173
BZA
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Thanks Ken. Here's another shot with little green sparkly lights, for everyone annoyed with the choice of green. Hahahaha!

Personally - having seen it in the metal - I love the look. Awesome stuff.

Show of hands! How many commenting here have seen the watch outside of a glass case, handled it and put it on their wrist - AND aren't already turned off from the beginning by the DSSD's crazy proportions and overengineered specs? Hm? I know Oryx and I have seen it. Anyone else?

The DSSD is what it is. This new dial won't convert haters who don't like its 17.5mm thickness, its 44mm case, its head-to-bracelet taper, its "in yo face!" text... INSERT OTHER COMPLAINTS HERE. I repeat - the new DSSD dial isn't for you, the DSSD has never been for you.

But for fans who admire what the DSSD stands for - pushing the limits, going to the extreme, going BEAST MODE - that monster on your wrist is exactly what you want, isn't it? The DSSD is elemental. It is the King of Rolex much like Godzilla is the King of Kaiju. Do you think Godzilla gives a damn about your aesthetic quibbles or cares about your approval and admiration? GoDSSDzilla laughs at you!

See, this isn't the watch for me if I wanted to go for flowing lines and a slim, aesthetic profile. For when I'm wearing a tuxedo at an evening event, I have this:

For when I yearn for a Grand Complication, the pinnacle of watchmaking aesthetics, and my grail, I reach for this:

But when I go BEAST MODE, I reach for my DSSD:

And I love the new dial.
Well said!!!!!
Previous:[/B] 1: Rolex 16610 Y 2002 2: Rolex Daytona V 2008 3: Rolex 16610LV Z 2007 4: Rolex Milgauss 116400GV V 2008 5: Panerai Luminor Marina PR PAM 93 2005 6: AP ROO Diver H 2013 7: Rolex DJ II Slate w/ Grn Romans Random 2013 8:Panerai Submersible Ti PAM 25 2013
BZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2014, 06:15 AM   #1174
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
From the unofficial pics taken of people wearing the new version.
It looks like the dial is gloss.

Is that correct?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2014, 06:16 AM   #1175
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP PC, Nautilus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpeedbird View Post
I've seen it in the metal today. I'm really surprised how good the blue dial looks and I'm not a fan of the DSSD otherwise. It's too big for my skinny wrists but it really looks great. No, I went and put myself on the waiting list for a PP 5711 instead but if you can pull off a size of watch like the DSSD go ahead

I have a 5711 as well. ;)

And my wrists are all of 6.25" - but people say my arm to wrist ratio is like the DSSD's giant head to bracelet ratio. Yuck! Hahahahah.
vc_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2014, 12:19 PM   #1176
Zpeedbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
I have a 5711 as well. ;)

And my wrists are all of 6.25" - but people say my arm to wrist ratio is like the DSSD's giant head to bracelet ratio. Yuck! Hahahahah.
Nice! I hope my wait won't be too long.

Those wrists are 6.25"?! Well you have no problem pulling off the DSSD. Looks like a good size on you

Sea-Dweller, Explorer II, IWC Flieger Chronograph, AP Royal Oak
Zpeedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2014, 02:36 PM   #1177
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Apparently it's available at Eiseman in Dallas. Might have to check it out, but it's probably sold out already.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 01:08 AM   #1178
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
But when I go BEAST MODE, I reach for my DSSD:

Wow! The Dssd looks great...and I am loving the red rubber b.

Does it becomes black at the edges when worn everyday? cause some colored straps will blacken due to everyday handling.
Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 09:34 AM   #1179
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Ryuden - no, it does not discolor. It picks up the usual grime from daily wear which can be washed away with soap and water. But it does not discolor.

My wife wears her Hulk on a white RubberB and it remains pristine.

SLRdude - I happened to be in another city in Texas today and look what I found:

Picked it up for a friend who didn't have a DSSD yet and really really wanted it. He will of course pay me back!

I will get mine soon enough from my AD - his shop isn't a Rolex boutique so he isn't first on the allocation list. But, I can be patient when I want to be. ;)
Old 8 August 2014, 10:06 AM   #1180
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Picked it up for a friend who didn't have a DSSD yet and really really wanted it. He will of course pay me back!

I will get mine soon enough from my AD - his shop isn't a Rolex boutique so he isn't first on the allocation list. But, I can be patient when I want to be. ;)
I'm digging these real life photos a lot more than the official Rolex ones. So now that you've seen it in the flesh, what are your impressions and how does this compare to when you saw the first Rolex photos of the watch? From what I can tell the dial is a lot more subtle than it at first appeared. I'm liking it.
Old 8 August 2014, 10:40 AM   #1181
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
At first, I despised the new SDDS. The more I look at it, I realize that if not for the green on the dial, I might be inclined to like it. The blue to black fade is pretty cool. I just can't stand neon green.
Old 8 August 2014, 10:50 AM   #1182
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grupet View Post
So I've been trying different DEEPSEA colors. Which one is your favorite?
Thanks for the nice presentation, which makes clear, any color would have been better than vomit-green.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 11:07 AM   #1183
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel33 View Post
Let's imagine Bamford issued the exact same dial a few months ago, I cannot imagine the comments…...
Exactly!!!!
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2014, 02:42 PM   #1184
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Again, a show of hands: how many have seen this watch in person?
Old 10 August 2014, 09:50 AM   #1185
amaninspired
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
Having managed some top lurking for a good few years.....

I'm going to have to break silence, purely because that's one of the most hideous things I've seen in a long time, it's almost on par with the leopard skin Daytona!

Come on Mike, it's not in the same league as that atrocity!
amaninspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 12:32 PM   #1186
XZACM102
"TRF" Member

Wow, what a beauty ! Just when I was getting ready to pull the trigger on BLNR.....
After AD visit today I think I know what my next watch is going to be
XZACM102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 02:39 AM   #1187
psv
"TRF" Member

Still on vacation, perhaps I get to see one when we're spending a day in Madrid on the way back, but my impression remains the same so far: I'm all for Rolex support extreme exploration, as they always have done, as well as releasing a special edition celebrating Camron's historic dive, but at the end, I simply don't like the design of this new dial.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2014, 03:17 AM   #1188
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsignsrn View Post
That's pretty sad actually. I dont like it at all. I can understand the significance of the dial colour and green, but really, why not a blue insert & / or titanium? Unless Rolex doesn't want to take any chances by impacting sales to the white gold blue dial sub... A blue insert, would have really popped I think. And titanium would have been logical for the size of the piece. Many of you guys would be able to pull it off. I mean, not to insult anyone, but this is a massive watch. So many ways they could have done this one..so many ways they failed..imho.
I like the way you think Blue insert + Red text + Titanium & this watch would've been
Old 11 August 2014, 04:21 AM   #1189
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Fan View Post
Thanks for the nice presentation, which makes clear, any color would have been better than vomit-green.
Guess I'm in minority. I like the green with this particular dial the best.
Old 11 August 2014, 05:09 AM   #1190
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
I think the majority likes the green text.
A small % does not and feels the urgent need to share it with the world.
Usually once that small % has seen the watch or has had time to 'adjust' they start appreciating the finer details.
In a few months they will write 'I hated it first but now I wouldn't want it any other way and I bought one'
Old 13 August 2014, 12:24 AM   #1191
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZACM102 View Post
Wow, what a beauty ! Just when I was getting ready to pull the trigger on BLNR.....
After AD visit today I think I know what my next watch is going to be
Great looking Rolex. Now that owner's pictures of the watch are starting to post, there continues to be the issue of folks with smaller wrists looking like the watch is wearing them.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 12:52 AM   #1192
www777
"TRF" Member

Agreed. I may pull the trigger but I'm concerned with a 7.5" wrist it may look huge. That said women now are wearing subs and daytonas with very small wrists so maybe it will be ok. What do you think the minimum wrist size is to pull off a dssd?
www777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2014, 01:19 AM   #1193
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Hard to answer a minimum wrist size, and the answer for who can pull off a DSSD is probably a moving target for a number of reasons - overall size of someone's arm, athletic build, the fact that watches are getting bigger, on and on.

For me, at 6'1" with a 7.5" wrist, 42mm feels right (at least in the Exp II thickness). But hey, that's just my own personal sense of balance; and, if I was 34 instead of 54, I might of already gotten on the DSSD waiting list.

I think at 7.5 you should be fine, and that is one awesome looking watch.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2014, 05:09 AM   #1194
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Here are pics of my good friend receiving the D-Blue that I helped him purchase last week.

Side by side with the original DSSD:

The complete line-up of Rolex's modern SeaDwellers, including that little SD4000 that was introduced earlier this year (which is what I wore that day):

A picture of my friend receiving his watch. He swears he did not coordinate his attire that day, in anticipation of the D-Blue's arrival that morning. What do you think? ;)

All in all, a fabulous watch in the metal. It adds color and depth to the dial, without rendering the original any less classic. Here's a close-up of the dial:

I was sorely tempted to get it for myself - but my good friend REALLY wanted it and I already had the original DSSD to help tide me over. Hahaha! I can wait for the next one that comes to market, sometime sooner rather than later I hope! ;)
Old 14 August 2014, 11:51 PM   #1195
www777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
Hard to answer a minimum wrist size, and the answer for who can pull off a DSSD is probably a moving target for a number of reasons - overall size of someone's arm, athletic build, the fact that watches are getting bigger, on and on.

For me, at 6'1" with a 7.5" wrist, 42mm feels right (at least in the Exp II thickness). But hey, that's just my own personal sense of balance; and, if I was 34 instead of 54, I might of already gotten on the DSSD waiting list.

I think at 7.5 you should be fine, and that is one awesome looking watch.

Good perspective. I'm going to give it a try. I'm on a list with an AD and should get the first one they receive. Have all AD received them yet or is it taking some of them some time? btw...I actaully like the green.
www777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 12:24 AM   #1196
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by www777 View Post
Agreed. I may pull the trigger but I'm concerned with a 7.5" wrist it may look huge. That said women now are wearing subs and daytonas with very small wrists so maybe it will be ok. What do you think the minimum wrist size is to pull off a dssd?
7.5 inch wrist is more than fine, mine was 7.2 when I had one, and it actually wears smaller looking down on your wrist, like a 42/3mm as the dial is smaller but it is thick and the bracelet is pretty thin and tapers down so its the overall feel and look that is an individual choice.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 12:50 AM   #1197
RolexJNJ
"TRF" Member

Great side by side shot of the 2 DSSDs and the SD!
RolexJNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 01:37 AM   #1198
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
7.5 inch wrist is more than fine, mine was 7.2 when I had one, and it actually wears smaller looking down on your wrist, like a 42/3mm as the dial is smaller but it is thick and the bracelet is pretty thin and tapers down so its the overall feel and look that is an individual choice.
For me with a 6 5/8th" wrist, it wears well. The lugs do not overhang over the edge of my wrist. Sometimes I do a double-take on the height, but yes, I would agree, whom a DSSD fits is a moving target.
sheldonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 03:19 AM   #1199
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

A lovely lady tried the DSSD D-Blue on last night:

She can pull it off methinks. Can't you? ;)
Old 15 August 2014, 04:55 AM   #1200
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
A lovely lady tried the DSSD D-Blue on last night:

She can pull it off methinks. Can't you? ;)
Actually looks a bit tight on her... don't tell her I said that tho
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote