The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 June 2012, 09:43 AM   #121
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
I think there could be many situations where not wearing one is prudent and down right smart.
x2

I have been known to role down my sleeves when walking home late from the bars. Or in situations when I may be in the company of others with significant financial difficulties, even though we all have those some times... it just makes me uncomfortable.

other than that, proud to wear it!

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
A.Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 10:38 AM   #122
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by function12 View Post
I don't wear mine when I fight my property taxes.
Love this one!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 11:31 AM   #123
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Yes-everyday. I am afraid I might buy another one and then another one and then another one....

Wearing a Rolex of any kind on a daily basis is a terrible influence on my sanity and judgement. I fear the voice in my head everytime I look down at my wrist!

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 12:35 PM   #124
Wristmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post
Yep around a month or so ago....

I was in a store with my wife and I started haggling with the salesman over a lamp that she wanted.

He looked at my watch and said to me "you are wearing a Rolex and you are hassling me for a $50 discount?"
should've told him that the rolex was bought with the money saved from lamp discounts.
Wristmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 12:49 PM   #125
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Only when I try to wear it around my neck. Now that's what I call uncomfortable.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 12:53 PM   #126
vtchachi

Watch: GMTIIC
Amen to that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydna808 View Post
Labor negotiations
vtchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 01:12 PM   #127
billyb
"TRF" Member

I just purchased my first Rolex, a sub while on vacation with the wife and kids.

I have been wanting this watch for years, but couldn't really justify it. Today was my first day back at work and as soon as a co-worker approached me in the hall, I slammed my hand in my pocket to cover my watch.

No clue why I did that.
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 01:18 PM   #128
vtchachi

Watch: GMTIIC
Only when in sketchy areas - I have a nice F1 Tag to wear, doesn't draw too much attention at all. I must say, I was at a gathering with friends when someone I had just met saw my TT Datejust II and stated he liked my watch and had almost bought the same one at Kohl's the day before!?
vtchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 01:51 PM   #129
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Yes, on a business trip a few years ago to San Francisco. I was with a group that insisted on walking from our Union Square-area hotel to our destination, which took us through the Tenderloin. I made sure that I had my watch covered with clothing, as there were some pretty scary-looking people there (including some homeless people that were obviously mentally ill, unless wearing tattered and soiled clothing while hopping around waving a fork in the air while shouting obscenities and having imaginary conversations is not a sign of insanity).

While not everyone recognizes a Rolex (and many more do than you think...many don't comment on it), robbers do. Even if the watch is insured, I see no need to attract a robber.

My in-laws travel frequently, all over the world, and my mother in law has left her gold Datejust at home, in the safe, when she goes to certain areas of the world.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 02:42 PM   #130
pipp

when i ask for big discounts on seikos. ha ha ha
pipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 03:30 PM   #131
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Never once
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2012, 11:31 PM   #132
astndnbr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-new-hope View Post
I don't really understand this comment... So your saying if you have tattoos people will be shocked you have a nice watch?
In my experience absolutely. There are sometimes when people do the whole head I toe check out when you have as much coverage as I do, and when/if they notice I have a nice watch on, they don't seem to compute that I have one and sometimes ask what I do or how do I have one.
astndnbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 12:24 AM   #133
How
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Tudor 1960
Yep. Just yesterday. I had to do a presentation to my CEO, the Finance Director and all our GM's. I took my Rolex off during my presentation, as I didn't want them to think that they are 'paying me too much' to afford a Rolex, and not therefore not give me a pay increase next round :)
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 12:41 AM   #134
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtchachi View Post
Only when in sketchy areas - I have a nice F1 Tag to wear, doesn't draw too much attention at all. I must say, I was at a gathering with friends when someone I had just met saw my TT Datejust II and stated he liked my watch and had almost bought the same one at Kohl's the day before!?
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 12:53 AM   #135
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Once I would have said 'no', having worn a TT DJ everywhere for some years (including some pretty 'iffy' parts of the Caribbean). Then, about 10 years ago, I was in nose-to-tail stationary traffic coming out of west London on my way home. It was dark and I was on the phone to my wife when I noticed a gang of lads walking in the road in between cars, clearly casing them out. Stupidly I had my left hand on the wheel and the street lights must have picked out my watch.

I knew what they were up to and lent on the central locking as they walked past. There was a bit of eye contact but I wasn't expecting them to 'brick' the window, which is exactly what they did. There then ensued a major scuffle which involved about three of them in my window, me trying to get to the passenger seat, and a tug-of-war with the mobile phone (which still had my wife on the other end of it). They eventually got the phone and vanished in seconds and it wasn't until such time as I had got out of the car that I noticed I had blood on the back of my hand. It was then that I noticed my watch had gone! I never even felt it come off in the scuffle and clearly they didn't want the phone - they wanted my wrist so they could get at the watch.

The real kicker of all this was the fact that it wasn't insured!!!!! I was young (early twenties at the time) and had bought the watch for a great price off a very wealthy friend and genuinely didn't even consider insurance.

Moral of the tale - now I definitely think about where I wear my Suc C LV and all my watches are insured!

Last edited by Number3; 20 June 2012 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: Can't spell!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 12:56 AM   #136
learpilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMTII ,SUB c,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
When I'm around diamonds...
learpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 01:00 AM   #137
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Once I would have said 'no', having worn a TT DJ everywhere for some years (including some pretty 'iffy' parts of the Caribbean). Then, about 10 years ago, I was in nose-to-tail stationary traffic coming out of west London on my way home. It was dark and I was on the phone to my wife when I noticed a gang of lads walking in the road in between cars, clearly casing them out. Stupidly I had my left hand on the wheel and the street lights must have picked out my watch.

I knew what they were up to and lent on the central locking as they walked past. There was a bit of eye contact but I wasn't expecting them to 'brick' the window, which is exactly what they did. There then ensued a major scuffle which involved about three of them in my window, me trying to get to the passenger seat, and a tug-of-war with the mobile phone (which still had my wife on the other end of it). They eventually got the phone and vanished in seconds and it wasn't until such time as I had got out of the car that I noticed I had blood on the back of my hand. It was then that I noticed my watch had gone! I never even felt it come off in the scuffle and clearly they didn't want the phone - they wanted my wrist so they could get at the watch.

The real kicker of all this was the fact that it wasn't insured!!!!! I was young (early twenties at the time) and had bought the watch for a great price off a very wealthy friend and genuinely didn't even consider insurance.

Moral of the tale - now I definitely think about where I wear my Suc C LV and all my watches are insured!
Wow, that's some story. All that matters in the end is your health, atleast no one was seriously injured. Stupid people. I'm assuming they were never caught?
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 01:47 AM   #138
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
My friend NEVER travels with his nice watches, and this is what happened the first time he did.

His GF, ( now wife) bought him the same watch this year as a wedding present!

Quote:
This Saturday Nov 20th I was attacked while walking with my girlfriend in the Recoleta neighborhood of Buenos Aires. A guy came from behind and grabbed my PAM88 and put me in a chokehold until he ripped it off. An accomplice drove by on a motorcycle and the sped away. Luckily we are both ok except my neck must have been injured as I have a hoarse voice (hopefully not permanent damage).

This watch meant a lot to me and I intended on passing it down to my son. It was my first "real" watch.

I've emailed panerai but haven't heard anything from them. I am posting this in hopes that someone who is offered to buy my watch will report it to me and/or the police.

The serial numbers are:

Ind: OP6554BB1132247
Mvt: PA00407196

I also hope this post serves as a warning to any visiting Buenos Aires. Three people were in the local police station that morning who had there watches stolen. There are people in shops, in hotels, etc casing out those wearing nice watches. They work in groups and will attack in broad daylight. Be Careful!
dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 04:06 AM   #139
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble15 View Post
Wow, that's some story. All that matters in the end is your health, atleast no one was seriously injured. Stupid people. I'm assuming they were never caught?
Unfortunately not, though one of the detectives I spoke to said he was pretty sure he knew who they were as they'd pulled the same stunt on a few people. I did ask but he wouldn't give me a name!

Real shame as I loved that watch. It had quite a unique dial which was black with vertical stripes. For a while afterwards I also found that I got quite nervous when sitting in stationary traffic - weird I know and not helpful!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 07:05 AM   #140
WatchnRoll
"TRF" Member

I'm about to take 3 clients out for dinner in my home town tonight. They never come here to my state...I usually fly to them.

I'm picking them up in my 5 series BMW and wearing my DSSD. Needless to say...I'm a bit apprehensive to be driving my car and wearing my watch but oh well...screw it!
Old 21 June 2012, 10:09 AM   #141
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkWilfred View Post
Yes-everyday. I am afraid I might buy another one and then another one and then another one....

Wearing a Rolex of any kind on a daily basis is a terrible influence on my sanity and judgement. I fear the voice in my head everytime I look down at my wrist!
Agreed
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 01:12 PM   #142
Jagatai
"TRF" Member

I wear a 1961 Tudor pointy crown guard sub, NO ONE notices except one WIS who stopped me and said I was the guy with the yellow patina d submariner. In NYC most people wear modern Rolex which I can spot by the sapphire crystal a mile away
Jagatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 04:35 PM   #143
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by astndnbr View Post
In my experience absolutely. There are sometimes when people do the whole head I toe check out when you have as much coverage as I do, and when/if they notice I have a nice watch on, they don't seem to compute that I have one and sometimes ask what I do or how do I have one.

I'm getting the picture you like to draw a lot of attention to yourself...

To the people who say they don't care what others think, "I wear what I want, blah blah blah" I think you are the ones who give out the bad stereotypes of Rolex owners as douchebags.

That shows how arrogant, inconsiderate, self absorbed, and ignorant you really are....and that's what makes ME uncomfortable to wear my Rolex.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 04:48 PM   #144
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Yawn
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2012, 12:17 PM   #145
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
I'm getting the picture you like to draw a lot of attention to yourself...

To the people who say they don't care what others think, "I wear what I want, blah blah blah" I think you are the ones who give out the bad stereotypes of Rolex owners as douchebags.

That shows how arrogant, inconsiderate, self absorbed, and ignorant you really are....and that's what makes ME uncomfortable to wear my Rolex.
6 points. Find a less provocative and more constructive way to communicate your opinion when posting on here.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2012, 03:22 PM   #146
Andelain
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing your 6......
Once in Dubai I was in an area that had me on my guard. I dropped the Rolex in my pocket, and kept my Louis Vuitton tucked in close until I was out of that area.

Andelain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2012, 05:02 AM   #147
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
Well today I felt a slightly uncomfortable. The owner of my company took everyone w/ a June or July birthday out for lunch. There was one seat open when he came in and it happened to be next to me. I had a long sleeve shirt on w/ my sleeves rolled up. I noticed a SS daytona under his sleeve, and for some reason I just felt self conscious about my GMT II C sticking out for the world to see. I'm a Engineer, so I'd say a GMT II is out of my salary range. A couple of min go by and he says " That's a really neat looking watch, is it new?"
I kinda shied my wrist down and just said yes, that I had bought my wife and I similar watches for our 5 year anniversary. He had just mentioned that they had been married for 10 years.
He asked if I had any other watches, I said that I had traded them all in to get my wife and I these two watches. I was slightly nervous for some reason about the whole conversation. No need though, he mentioned his ND sub he bought in the 80s, pulled up his sleeve to show his Daytona, and talked about trying to pick up a Paul Newman dial Daytona. Then asked me what watches are "hot" these days. I showed him a few, and we just chit chatted for a while. This is maybe the 2nd time I had the chance to speak w/ him.

I don't know why I was so nervous at first, but I felt much better after we spoke.
dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2012, 06:28 AM   #148
Kraftwerck
Banned

Watch: A lot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post
i wouldve told him it was a fake.
I have done that many/many times...
Kraftwerck is offline   Reply With Quote