The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2013, 02:46 AM   #121
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jot_ View Post
Great thread! As an Air King fan - how was it as a seller? I've heard that it's either a great seller... or a poor one. Kinda curious what the truth is!
In my experience, not a strong seller at all - you might be lucky to sell a couple in a year, they make up a small percentage. There isn't a huge amount of demand for non-date watches, you see a similar pattern with the standard Oyster Perpetual in its various sizes. It's a slightly awkward size for the modern wrist on the whole, most men think it's a bit too small, most women think it's a bit too big. That said, it does have a loyal following, and it does have one of the more interesting back stories - it tended to be worn by RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 03:17 AM   #122
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

Was the no date sub a big seller? or they just always opted to spend a few more bucks and get the date sub?
tommyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 04:15 AM   #123
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
In my experience, not a strong seller at all - you might be lucky to sell a couple in a year, they make up a small percentage. There isn't a huge amount of demand for non-date watches, you see a similar pattern with the standard Oyster Perpetual in its various sizes. It's a slightly awkward size for the modern wrist on the whole, most men think it's a bit too small, most women think it's a bit too big. That said, it does have a loyal following, and it does have one of the more interesting back stories - it tended to be worn by RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain
Think the air king came a few years after the Battle of Britain(1940)

Rolex introduced the air line to commemorate the airmen of WWII.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 04:20 AM   #124
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris, does this situation happened before at your previous time in AD?

Me and my wife were buying a Rolex at our local AD and there was this young sales lady serving us and her service was terrific, we end up buying 2 Rolex at a time.

So the sales lady was sizing the Rolex for my wife and whereas another young sales guy was sizing mine.

However, when we left the AD and looking at the 2 invoices, we noticed that my wife invoice was under the sales lady name and mine invoice was under the sales guy name?

Isn't it the 2 invoices suppose to be under the sales lady name as she was the one who served us and closed the sales? She deserve and entitle to the commission.

I just feel unfair for the nice sales lady and the next day I called her up and she said it was authorized by the AD manager.
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 07:03 AM   #125
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

With the prices like they are I am struggling to justify the price tag on sub-c and thinking of a Black Bay instead do you rate them or should I go for broke and get the sub?

Do you know why tudor is no longer stocked in the UK and do you see it coming back?
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 09:39 AM   #126
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

Hi Chris, I have heard that technical documentation for Rolex technicians no longer is printed on paper.

An online application is now available for them, on an Ipad or a PC, and they were asked to return all their (old) Rxx catalogs to gain access to this up-to-date documentation.

Here's my question. 1st do you confirm that ?

2nd if 1st is true, can you tell what is the most recent versions (years) of R8/R20/... before Rolex stopped to make them ?

Thx in advance
From what I saw at my Rolex Watchmaker friends, all the manuals are online .pdfs only accessible to Rolex certified watchmakers with parts accounts. Part ordering, schematics, service bulletins, etc are only accessed via the Internet. He had a fairly large flat screen to read them.

-Sheldon
Old 7 April 2013, 09:52 AM   #127
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL1213 View Post

Me and my wife were buying a Rolex at our local AD and there was this young sales lady serving us and her service was terrific, we end up buying 2 Rolex at a time.

So the sales lady was sizing the Rolex for my wife and whereas another young sales guy was sizing mine.

However, when we left the AD and looking at the 2 invoices, we noticed that my wife invoice was under the sales lady name and mine invoice was under the sales guy name?

Isn't it the 2 invoices suppose to be under the sales lady name as she was the one who served us and closed the sales? She deserve and entitle to the commission.

I just feel unfair for the nice sales lady and the next day I called her up and she said it was authorized by the AD manager.
That's more store policy than anything to do with Rolex. Perhaps the manger felt that a split sale was in order for some reason. Do you know if they for sure work on commission?
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 10:09 AM   #128
lukecrossan
"TRF" Member

Is there any way to retrieve paperwork or service history to a watch purchased with no papers etc?

Thanks in advance
Luke
lukecrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 10:09 AM   #129
lukecrossan
"TRF" Member

Double post
lukecrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 12:04 PM   #130
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Crazy question Chris, but how can a non-Rolex AD have a Rolex Parts Accoint?

I ask specifically because I want an old Rolex serviced inexpensively but do nt want aftermarket parts.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 02:52 PM   #131
rejj
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris,
Were you involved in organising any VIP customer events in your AD? I'm curious how these things get arranged. Does Rolex HQ request that stores do this, or is it entirely up to each AD to decide if/when these events occur?
rejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 10:04 PM   #132
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Just to mention about hang tag's.

I have purchased many many new watches from AD's and have been told only one time that the store was going to keep the hang tags, at which time I told the store owner in that case you better keep the watch to go with the tags.

They replied, Here is your watch with your hang tags, sir. Thank You.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 12:45 AM   #133
Rolexwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ro,Om,Cart,Lon,Sei
Does Rolex AD employees have any discount on a Rolex watch? A friend who owns 6 TOUS stores (TOUS are Rolex AD in Spain) showed me a beautifull platinum Date Just she said got with a 40 %! retail discount. I think 40% is a lot, is about half of the watch price. Even 40 % of the MSRP is a lot. She said she's entittled to that discount one a year.

Anyway, do you get big discounts? What watch are you wearing now? Thank you!
Rolexwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 03:39 AM   #134
phillips29
"TRF" Member

Awesome that your taking your time out to do this :) good too see members contributing back to the forum :) all the best
phillips29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 05:52 AM   #135
jot_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I 214270
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Only a couple per year... makes me think I should have pushed for a bigger discount purchasing mine! That's unfortunate that it's an unpopular seller though... oh well, more for me and my 6.0" wrist!
jot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2013, 06:45 AM   #136
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJon View Post

I ask specifically because I want an old Rolex serviced inexpensively but do nt want aftermarket parts.
Not sure how it works everywhere but my independent does. He is Rolex certified and most of his business actually comes from AD's that use him as a less expensive/quicker turnaround alternative to RSC for service for their customers. I suppose the answer is if the watch maker has had certified training by Rolex and meets whatever other criteria are required (i.e. financial) they give him access to Rolex parts.
Old 9 April 2013, 02:09 AM   #137
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz24 View Post
Was the no date sub a big seller? or they just always opted to spend a few more bucks and get the date sub?
I'd say for every 3 Sub Dates sold, you'd sell a Sub
Old 9 April 2013, 02:12 AM   #138
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Think the air king came a few years after the Battle of Britain(1940)

Rolex introduced the air line to commemorate the airmen of WWII.
Apologies Wes, you're absolutely right - Oysters were a favourite of British WWII pilots, and the Air King came as part of a line of commemorative watches
Old 9 April 2013, 02:20 AM   #139
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL1213 View Post

It might have been an issue if we had been on commission We tried to make sure that credit went to the person who did the majority of the legwork leading up to that sale. It's always a bit unfair if someone just happens to write out the receipt when someone's spent hours working on the sale. It boils down to the policy of each individual store, some may be more cut throat than others, the prospect of a big commission might drive some to play dirty

Chris
Old 9 April 2013, 02:24 AM   #140
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
With the prices like they are I am struggling to justify the price tag on sub-c and thinking of a Black Bay instead do you rate them or should I go for broke and get the sub?

Do you know why tudor is no longer stocked in the UK and do you see it coming back?
If you want my advice, I'd skip the Black Bay and go for the Pelagos - that, in my opinion, is the watch the new Sub C should have been. It's a proper diver's watch through and through, the clasp is an incredible piece of engineering, the legibility is superb, and it's a bit of a bargain for the price it is. If you want to have something that is all in-house, then check out the new Omega Planet Ocean with their cal. 8500. That's probably the best mass-produced mechanical movement on the market right now, and the whole package is really, really nice. The Sub is not the no-brainer it once was

As for Tudor coming back into the UK, I think it will just be a matter of time - I will ask the question at Basel this year, I think with their range as impressive as it is, they would do well here. I believe they originally pulled out due to lack of interest

Chris
Old 9 April 2013, 02:25 AM   #141
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecrossan View Post
Is there any way to retrieve paperwork or service history to a watch purchased with no papers etc?

Thanks in advance
Luke
Nope, unfortunately not
Old 9 April 2013, 02:26 AM   #142
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJon View Post

The parts account goes with the watchmaker, so as long as they are fully trained and meet Rolex's criteria when it comes to workshop equipment, they will be able to get hold of parts without any problems. Just be aware that on some older models parts can be scarce
Old 9 April 2013, 02:28 AM   #143
JohnFM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 Explorer
Chris,

At the risk of further inundating you with questions, I was wondering if Rolex is open to making small, incremental changes to watches (e.g., Basel 2013!) or if they tend to leave models essentially unchanged until a complete redesign is in order.

For example, the Explorer redesign included a bigger case (39mm), new bracelet, white gold (unpainted) numerals, and several other features. Concerns have been expressed that the minute hand is slightly short. Does Rolex have a history of making small design changes, such as lengthening a minute hand, or does it tend to leave well enough alone until the model is completely redesigned.

Thanks.
John
JohnFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 02:28 AM   #144
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejj View Post
Hi Chris,
Were you involved in organising any VIP customer events in your AD? I'm curious how these things get arranged. Does Rolex HQ request that stores do this, or is it entirely up to each AD to decide if/when these events occur?
We hadn't held any in my time there - I know a few ideas were discussed, one was to try and get the display models of the Basel releases to whip up some interest. It's down to the AD to organise these events, and Rolex may be able to help out by getting some pieces on appro etc. I don't believe Rolex ever requested us to hold a specific event

Chris
Old 9 April 2013, 02:30 AM   #145
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexwatch View Post
Does Rolex AD employees have any discount on a Rolex watch? A friend who owns 6 TOUS stores (TOUS are Rolex AD in Spain) showed me a beautifull platinum Date Just she said got with a 40 %! retail discount. I think 40% is a lot, is about half of the watch price. Even 40 % of the MSRP is a lot. She said she's entittled to that discount one a year.

Anyway, do you get big discounts? What watch are you wearing now? Thank you!
I have heard this was possible, but it wasn't an option for me at the time. I don't know the discount rate, and I don't know the restrictions on it

At this very moment, I'm wearing a Speedmaster Pro, but I also have a Datejust in my collection, plus various other weird and wonderful pieces. The collection is currently 6 strong

Chris
Old 9 April 2013, 02:34 AM   #146
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
Chris,

At the risk of further inundating you with questions, I was wondering if Rolex is open to making small, incremental changes to watches (e.g., Basel 2013!) or if they tend to leave models essentially unchanged until a complete redesign is in order.

For example, the Explorer redesign included a bigger case (39mm), new bracelet, white gold (unpainted) numerals, and several other features. Concerns have been expressed that the minute hand is slightly short. Does Rolex have a history of making small design changes, such as lengthening a minute hand, or does it tend to leave well enough alone until the model is completely redesigned.

Thanks.
John
Hi John,

Rolex are always making slight changes, they just don't talk about it - there are some slightly revised clasps floating around, and you do get some folks obsessing over minor changes to the dial fonts. If you ask me, if it isn't anything significant, it isn't worth worrying about - if a serious cosmetic or mechanical change is made, then there will be a change in designation. See, for example, the previous Sub - it started out life as the 14060 when it was running the cal. 3000, when it was updated to the cal. 3130, it became the 14060M. As for the Explorer minute hand, I think it's an issue that has been blown out of proportion - in reality, the hand length is far less noticeable than when it is blown up on a large picture. I'd check it out in the flesh if you haven't already

Chris
Old 9 April 2013, 07:23 AM   #147
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Here's something a little bit different - I'm going to be going to the Basel show, and I will have the opportunity to speak to Rolex there. What questions would you like me to ask them?
Old 9 April 2013, 07:39 AM   #148
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's something a little bit different - I'm going to be going to the Basel show, and I will have the opportunity to speak to Rolex there. What questions would you like me to ask them?
Is it safe to shower with my Rolex on? We NEED a definitive answer.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2013, 07:41 AM   #149
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Is it safe to shower with my Rolex on? We NEED a definitive answer.
That might get me chucked off the stand
Old 9 April 2013, 08:20 AM   #150
spysonic
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris,

Much appreciate you doing this Q&A!

If I purchased a Rolex second hand and it still has another 1.5 years under warranty and I have all the paperwork - how does one go about sending the watch to Rolex if something happens during the remainder of the warranty period?

Also, if I need to get the watch adjusted / re-sized, can I just go to any AD and ask them to make the adjustments as long as I'm willing to pay the service fee. I.E: Does the AD care if I tell them I purchased a pre-owned watch from a friend or does it have to be an 'authorized' purchase?

Thanks in advance
spysonic is offline   Reply With Quote