The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 December 2014, 07:57 PM   #121
Jeffex
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub & Daytona
N.O.Y.F.B.!

Just kidding!
Old 3 December 2014, 08:57 PM   #122
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
A good answer is - it cost a lot but if I sell it as it's a Rolex I expect to get all my money back.
Old 3 December 2014, 09:16 PM   #123
xdghjdxgyj
"TRF" Member

Got my first Rolex a couple weeks ago. Friends and family have seen it and one of the first questions they ask is "How much did it cost you?" [img]http://*********.com/ipad/images/51.gif[/img] [img]http://*********.com/ipad/images/22.gif[/img]
Old 3 December 2014, 09:21 PM   #124
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
Depends on who it is, so far only been asked by one co-worker. Told her it was a fake and I paid $25. She said, no, it's real, and probably cost you $500 and that she could never imagine spending that much on a watch.

It's all in perspective, she is a single mother with 4 kids. Had the first kid at 15, so never had a chance to save any money for the finer things, but definitely a hard working person, just spent too much time on her back when she was young.
i find that remark distasteful , that lady had a child when she was still a child herself ,,, i think its quite an achievement to go to work and raise 4 children on your own considering the cards were stacked against her from such a young age ,,,, well done to her
Old 3 December 2014, 09:26 PM   #125
DiverAsia
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014 16610 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
i find that remark distasteful , that lady had a child when she was still a child herself ,,, i think its quite an achievement to go to work and raise 4 children on your own considering the cards were stacked against her from such a young age ,,,, well done to her
+1

Oh yeah, and when someone asks me how much my watch costs, I tell them. I see no reason not to. I get asked all kinds of questions about my job, or income all the time. It's no big deal to me.
Wants to run the big machine

Last edited by DiverAsia; 3 December 2014 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: I dun forgot something
Old 3 December 2014, 10:03 PM   #126
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
More people ask me that question when I drive my Porsche. Never been asked that when I wear my watch. Nice thing about the Daytona, it flys under the radar of most people. It doesn't look like a "Rolex" (a sub). LOL
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Old 3 December 2014, 10:11 PM   #127
Roger1079
"TRF" Member

I don't get the elaborate responses or lies about it. With the advent of the internet, one can find out Rolex retail prices as simply as going to Google and typing "rolex retail price list" or any of a hundred or so other keywords relating to price and just clicking on the first couple. Being that most authorized retail channels do not discount, anyone can usually get within a couple hundred of what was spent.

Some will understand the value and most will look dumbfounded that a person actually spent enough to buy a car on a watch. Either way, it is far from a secret so I just tell people and most times the reaction is entertaining. Everyone knows that Rolex watches are expensive, but most have no clue exactly how expensive.

The only uncomfortable conversation that ever came from it was when I was asked about my white gold Daytona by a coworker. She looked like a deer in the headlights and just could not process how I spent almost as much on a watch as she earns in a year. Everything was fine until she made the remark of "Must be nice." in a very condescending tone and walked away abruptly. Several days later she approached me and apologized for being so immature. Long story short, she explained that she felt underpaid and underappreciated at work and assumed that I must make a huge salary to be able to buy such an expensive luxury item while she is barely treading water month to month. She was just turned down for a raise and the sting had not worn off yet. I know I owed her no explanation, but when I told her I have car loan like financing on it at 9.9% over 60 months and got 12% discount off of retail, the tone quickly changed and now she just thought I was crazy for spending that kind of money on a watch.
Old 3 December 2014, 10:18 PM   #128
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It's funny, in my country people really like to know how much but it is considered not done to ask directly. I don't mind telling anybody if asked. My wife is from PRC where they talk freely about this.
Old 3 December 2014, 10:21 PM   #129
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
+1. Problem would be telling without being asked.

I also give the price I paid depending on who it is. It's only ever happened once or twice with friends
Old 3 December 2014, 10:29 PM   #130
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I've only had 1 person, a co-worker, ask me... and I've been close friends with him for years so I told him the actual amount (because I'm fairly certain he earns more than me and he has an expensive motorcycle habit). His response: "It will last you a lifetime".
Old 3 December 2014, 10:36 PM   #131
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd View Post
Got my first Rolex a couple weeks ago. Friends and family have seen it and one of the first questions they ask is "How much did it cost you?"

How do you answer? I feel like saying none of your business but thought there might be an alternative that says the same thing but in a milder tone. Maybe I just lie and tell them that it was a gift given to me.
I say there are more important things that what anything costs,like the most precious thing we have today is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 December 2014, 10:43 PM   #132
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
too much ,,, that covers most ,, seldom asked though ,,

if im asked what its worth ,,, i saay , what would you like to offer ,,,
x2
Old 3 December 2014, 11:13 PM   #133
dennywags
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
My friend who thinks his invictas are $750 watches even though they sell for $149.99 asked me how much I paid for my BLNR so I told him. Then he asked what it retails for. Then he tells me he knows a guy who could have saved me "a couple grand" on it. I couldn't convince him that wasn't the case in on this particular watch.
Old 3 December 2014, 11:43 PM   #134
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I live in a small southern town and have a heavy southern accent, so most people think my Rolex is fake. That is fine with me. Close friends who know it's real have never asked.
Old 3 December 2014, 11:45 PM   #135
The Submariner
Banned

Watch: Guess?
I always say the same thing no matter which watch I'm wearing...$50,000.00...then I wink at them and pinch them on the cheek and walk off whistling Dixie........
Old 3 December 2014, 11:58 PM   #136
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
I've been asked occasionally. I usually say that it was a congratulatory gift from my wife for losing a lot of weight (which is true) & since it would be bad form to check such things, I don't know
Old 3 December 2014, 11:59 PM   #137
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I say there are more important things that what anything costs,like the most precious thing we have today is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Best answer.
Old 4 December 2014, 12:02 AM   #138
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
if its a stranger, i mace them.

if its a friend, i say the price i paid.

if its an employee, i fire them for asking.

if its a family member, i inflate the price x3 so they know i'll blow it all before i'm dead so they better be fkn nice to me.

welcome to the forum.
my new favorite response.

very funny.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 4 December 2014, 12:57 AM   #139
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Wait, that's what I do....

I've been doing it wrong the whole time!
Old 4 December 2014, 01:59 AM   #140
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
It's funny, in my country people really like to know how much but it is considered not done to ask directly. I don't mind telling anybody if asked. My wife is from PRC where they talk freely about this.
they talk about stuff freely in PRC? I've heard you can't talk religion, politics, police, corruption, etc...
Old 4 December 2014, 02:01 AM   #141
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennywags View Post
My friend who thinks his invictas are $750 watches even though they sell for $149.99 asked me how much I paid for my BLNR so I told him. Then he asked what it retails for. Then he tells me he knows a guy who could have saved me "a couple grand" on it. I couldn't convince him that wasn't the case in on this particular watch.
lol annoying
Old 4 December 2014, 02:57 AM   #142
aaamax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
Not meant to start a verbal war, but I re-read Tri-Tip's post and I see nothing but him stating facts. He even went so far as giving her a compliment about being a hard worker. So when you found his remark distasteful is it for you dislike the missionary position?
Old 4 December 2014, 03:13 AM   #143
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaamax View Post
Not meant to start a verbal war, but I re-read Tri-Tip's post and I see nothing but him stating facts. He even went so far as giving her a compliment about being a hard worker. So when you found his remark distasteful is it for you dislike the missionary position?
dont be ridiculous
Old 4 December 2014, 04:18 AM   #144
noche619
"TRF" Member

I can't imagine anyone asking (other than possibly a family member)
I guess if it was my sister I'd tell the truth
Old 4 December 2014, 04:38 AM   #145
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

"I'm not quite sure actually. Never ran the numbers after you add the 7 years of interest and payments to the down payment. " But it will be paid off in only 5 more years.
Old 4 December 2014, 05:24 AM   #146
Stevieb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamaster
I just tell them it didn't cost me anything because I found it
Old 4 December 2014, 06:24 AM   #147
Girkmonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, 16710 Red/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyan212 View Post
First, congrats on your first Rolex!

Tell them it cost you a significant amount, but there's no price tag on the memories you will put into wearing it and the sentimental value associated with your first purchase.
WTH?? It's just a watch, isn't it. When I went to London, wore my GMT. I even used it to track the local time and time back home. But none of my memories from that trip involve my watch. Not a single one. In fact, nothing I have ever done while owning a Rolex has truly been any different because of the brand name on my wrist.

I don't understand that attitude, probably never will. To me, it's just a watch...one that is hardly ever accurate at that.
Old 4 December 2014, 06:33 AM   #148
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
Old 4 December 2014, 06:54 AM   #149
jeffw123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFair View Post
I have found over the years that people only ask the "how much" question to belittle your purchase. Usually coming back with "well you could have bought 100 watches at Walmart for that!"

While at lunch a co-worker asked me how much I paid for my Rolex. I took off my watch and dropped it in a glass of ice water. After swirling it around briefly I put it down with the watch now at the bottom of the glass. I told him, yes it is a Rolex and it is worth every damn penny I paid for it. I next challenge everyone at the table to put there watch in the water but got no takers. Strange no one in the office has ask me about my Rolex since.
What a stupid response that doesn't prove anything. Any watch worth more than $20 would still work in a glass of water.

They aren't asking you about your watch because they think you're stuck up.
Old 4 December 2014, 07:03 AM   #150
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If it's a close friend that I don't mind discussing finances with, I will usually say "it retails for...(x amount), but I didn't pay anything near that (which is true, cause I know a guy-or two-here on TRF )

If it's not someone that fits in that category, I just smile and politely give them one of several expressions I use to let people know they've crossed the line of tact and/or decency.
Closed Thread