The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 December 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Changing battery for Tag (please help)

In 2003 my wife bought me the Tag Heuer SeaRacer that I wanted from Baily Banks and Biddle.

A few years later I needed a new battery so I brought it back there and they told me they would need to send it back to Tag to have the battery changed because it needs to be done in some type of air tight pressure chamber (or something like that). So I sent it away and it came back several weeks later and they charged me a decent amount for it.

A few more years went by and I needed another battery. By this time the Baily Banks and Biddle location was no longer there, so I brought it to another local AD (Lennox) that carried Tag. They did it right there on the spot and didn't even charge me (probably because at the time my wife and I were looking at Rolexes).

Now my battery just died again - my question is, does my watch need to be sent to Tag for some special treatment to change the battery or can it be done by any high end AD? I'm not sure if Baily Banks and Biddle ripped me off or if Lennox just closed my watch back up in a way they weren't supposed to.

Also, how much does a battery change for a Tag usually cost? And how often? Since 2003, I need my 3rd battery - I feel like that is more frequent than it should be.

Thanks a ton for reading and helping!!!
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2010, 11:47 PM   #2
enronforme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love 'em all
You got ripped off by bbb

YG DAY DATE! :)
Old 11 December 2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
A diver watch should always be pressure tested when the case-back is opened. Some AD's have the ability to do that in-house, others don't. Do you ever expose the watch to water? If so, you'll want to make sure it is tested when you change the battery.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Save your money.

Buy a case opener from Ebay, or the Otto Frei website.

Also purchase a container of silicone lube for gaskets.

Open the caseback, and take the battery out. Get the correct size Energizer at the local store.

Put the battery back in, and remove the rubber gasket. Put the gasket in the silicone lube container after a quick inspection. If the gasket looks good, it should be fine with a little silicone added.

Screw the caseback on, and you should be good for another 1.5 - 2 years.

That's the average life span. Some last 4 years, but that's rare.

I wouldn't worry about pressure testing if your wife doesn't do more than take a shower in it.

If you dive, that's another story.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2010, 12:34 AM   #5
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
I actually don't dive - but I wear my watch everywhere, as far as swimming, snorkling and I wouldnt rule out diving some day - so I definitely want the caseback put on correctly just in case.

thanks for the info thus far!
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote