The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 17 November 2022, 01:15 PM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Investing In SpaceX

Elon is looking to raise some currency, with SpaceX being valued at $150B. Seems low to me given the long-term potential, but anyway, since I think Elon visits here (?)....

I'd love to see SpaceX offer physical 'stock certificates' for SpaceX that are sooo cool that they look out of this world. Worthy of framing and keeping. The higher the denomination (investment), the more wicked cool the certificate looks.

Would you invest in SpaceX?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 17 November 2022, 01:41 PM   #2
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
As in any other stock depends on its price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 17 November 2022, 01:52 PM   #3
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
If it was a LONG term buy and hold, maybe
If it was a short term buy and sell within 5 years, I'd keep my money as far away from any company Elon Musk is involved with
Old 17 November 2022, 03:11 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
That's the smarts behind the epic looking stock certificates. Who would want to sell them if they look sooooo cool. So a combo Space Memento and investment.

Wonder if for a $10k certificate he'd sign it too
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 17 November 2022, 03:54 PM   #5
Liams
Banned

Quote:
If it was a short term buy and sell within 5 years, I'd keep my money as far away from any company Elon Musk is involved with

You said the words right out of my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 November 2022, 04:09 PM   #6
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Elon has been successful so far in every venture, he's not the richest person on the planet because he got lucky. Personally I think he's a genius, and he has obvious immeasurable talent. I think betting against him is a really bad idea.
Old 17 November 2022, 04:19 PM   #7
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
Elon has been successful so far in every venture, he's not the richest person on the planet because he got lucky. Personally I think he's a genius, and he has obvious immeasurable talent. I think betting against him is a really bad idea.
Hes a master of marketing, I'll give him that but he has serious problems actually delivering on any promise he actually makes.
He just says stuff. Gullible people eat it up, it pumps his stock and people call him a genius
Fast forward a couple of years and when people start asking about the world changing thing he previously mentioned he pulls a bait and switch and announces another world changing idea and the cycle repeats

SpaceX is the only venture that has even remotely delivered on and its promises and its also the one he has the least to do with on a day to day basis
Old 17 November 2022, 04:22 PM   #8
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Not a chance the guy is crazy, smart crazy.
Old 17 November 2022, 04:42 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ok some fair arguments. So what if a 'set of 10' stock 'certificates' with each one measuring about the same size as, say, a bank note and be sold at $1000 for the set of 10? Now I'm not saying these are better than central bank notes, yet they could be used like a currency in exchange for goods and services since there is inherent value.

Now we just need a catchy name.

Old 17 November 2022, 04:44 PM   #10
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ok some fair arguments. So what if a 'set of 10' stock 'certificates' with each one measuring about the same size as, say, a bank note and be sold at $1000 for the set of 10? Now I'm not saying these are better than central bank notes, yet they could be used like a currency in exchange for goods and services since there is inherent value.
You mean like a physical NFT?
Old 17 November 2022, 05:55 PM   #11
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
This! That being sad, I’d take a piece of SpaceX action! No physical stock certs though.
Old 17 November 2022, 07:15 PM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Like currency, only it is (instead) a valued stock certificate of sorts and so worth whatever SpaceX stock price is (at a minimum, who knows what could happen on the collectability value of the physical certificates shaped like bank notes).

But hey, it's not a 'currency'... or a flamethrower

---
---

Hmm... interesting song playing here right now.

Old 17 November 2022, 07:53 PM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

I see stock certificates frequently, but from closely held, older, or non-US entities. Logistically, though, nobody is going to change the bylaws of SpaceX and make all of its stock certificated. Maybe they could issue a new class of shares (e.g. Class Z Non-Preferred Wink Wink) and state all other classes of shares shall be uncertificated

Someone here can fill me in — if SpaceX ever lists on NYSE or NASDAQ, would they not need to scrap the certificates at that point?
Old 17 November 2022, 07:58 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Not in a million years.

Too many great companies that have actual earnings, that generate profits which flow back to shareholders in the form of dividends.
Old 17 November 2022, 09:31 PM   #15
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't touch anything Musk's involved with. His Twitter antics are very revealing.

There's a BBC series about him which is worth a watch. One of his fangirls here claims that he's "smarter than Einstein". She kept a straight face, but I had to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7jad4gLG8
Old 17 November 2022, 09:46 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Someone here can fill me in — if SpaceX ever lists on NYSE or NASDAQ, would they not need to scrap the certificates at that point?
Ditto, as am not a pro about the mechanics and am sure a thinking man could create alternatives. Of course if you own a company, you probably dislike dealing with stonk traitors shorting it.

So...

If done well, the spread of this new physical Bank Note sized item to many, many people also makes me wonder how it could ever be 'shorted'.

My idea is more a creative-thought excersize, as again, am not a pro about this. Yet if done well, there may indeed be quite a few benefits. SpaceX could receive FUNding while also avoiding the manipulated and highly volatile stonk market :)

Old 17 November 2022, 09:54 PM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I realize he’s a genius.

But I also think he’s a bad guy.

I’d not invest in anything he does.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 17 November 2022, 10:43 PM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 17 November 2022, 11:35 PM   #19
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's the smarts behind the epic looking stock certificates. Who would want to sell them if they look sooooo cool. So a combo Space Memento and investment.

Wonder if for a $10k certificate he'd sign it too
His signature is worth $3-5k alone, so I doubt it. I sold Boring Brick #2 for $1,000. And I'm pretty sure I sold myself short. I bought it off the lead engineer for bore hole one for $250 though, he said Elon was a real prick.PITA to work with and a slave driver. If the guy can make a brick worth $1,000+, let's see what kinda rockets he can make though.

The only problem I have with Elon building rockets, is he started his project off in Russia trying to buy(and I believe did) purchase 2 decommissioned ICBMs without the warheads(which allegedly they were willing to sell them to him)
I'm guessing he was introduced through an illegal arms dealer to start these negotiations, as there really doesn't seem to be a legal way for most civilians to purchase soviet bloc "supplies".
part of me also knows that if he really is manic depressive he could turn into a supervillian real quick. I don't know if he's the person we should be putting in charge of this much technological power.

For lack of better words. I don't feel he has an allegiance to anyone but himself, and realistically he's pretty open about China being the next superpower and I could totally see him supplying them, Russia, and potentially anyone who has the funds to attain them with rockets to use as they please.

I'd possibly drop some money on a SpaceX IPO if the numbers were right.
A certificate would be cool.
If anyone can make space travel, exploration and discovery profitable, it's him. Just not sure it's something I'd want to invest in given how nervous I already am about the worlds richest man being a bipolar maniac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221117_083740_(650_x_1250_pixel).jpg (162.1 KB, 187 views)
Old 18 November 2022, 12:01 AM   #20
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I realize he’s a genius.

But I also think he’s a bad guy.

I’d not invest in anything he does.
Well said and I agree. I made that same decision when he was accused by the SEC for stock manipulation. For me, there are too many other investment opportunities out there that don’t involve the risk of Elon’s volatile actions.
Old 18 November 2022, 12:03 AM   #21
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think Elon visits here (?)....
This in interesting…do you have any evidence?

Would love to know whether he’s one of the posters getting excited about price falls, or one of the price-fall-deniers
Old 18 November 2022, 12:19 AM   #22
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just NFT the physical certificate with the percentage stake in the company. Or create NFTs with variable equity and sell them off individually.

The physical certificate would be a piece of art at that point.

If an IPO ever happened, you'd be a NFT stakeholder and your NFT stake would then be transferred to common stock.

At any point prior to the IPO you could always sell your NFTs to other speculators/potentially to the company itself prior to an IPO. At the time of the IPO, all original NFTs would have to be sent to a burn wallet to keep the system honest.

The added bonus would be that the company could pay stakeholders at the time of the IPO with some of the public IPO $$$ to not cash in their NFTs to keep more of the liquidity on their balance sheet so they could then take equity out from banks on the stock that they're holding but they don't own, and prop their value up even more; while having the bulk of their shares knowingly prestaked so they can manipulate their price up easier.

Propping up public interest, before dumping the highly inflated onto the market at that point, watch it dip fast, then buy them all back from retail investors for pennies on the dollar.

The only problem would be guaranteeing a proper evaluation at transfer. I could easily see Elon Manipulating an IPO to devalue shares. Seemed like alot of people close to Elon loaded up on shares shortly after he was "trying" to weasel out of buying Twitter. Amongst plenty of other pump fakes that have cost me significant amounts of money.

It's the wild west out here.
Old 18 November 2022, 12:47 AM   #23
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Ditto, as am not a pro about the mechanics and am sure a thinking man could create alternatives. Of course if you own a company, you probably dislike dealing with stonk traitors shorting it.

So...

If done well, the spread of this new physical Bank Note sized item to many, many people also makes me wonder how it could ever be 'shorted'.

My idea is more a creative-thought excersize, as again, am not a pro about this. Yet if done well, there may indeed be quite a few benefits. SpaceX could receive FUNding while also avoiding the manipulated and highly volatile stonk market :)
I see what you’re proposing. They could do a limited run of numbered “Ownership Certificates” that are not legally stock certificates or bearer instruments. They could even throw in something extra (a scale model spacecraft or engine?)

For a general solicitation of investors, though, they’d have to register the shares through the SEC. He can’t sell private company stock to John Q. Public via his Twitter feed.
Old 18 November 2022, 12:52 AM   #24
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I see what you’re proposing. They could do a limited run of numbered “Ownership Certificates” that are not legally stock certificates or bearer instruments. They could even throw in something extra (a scale model spacecraft or engine?)

For a general solicitation of investors, though, they’d have to register the shares through the SEC. He can’t sell private company stock to John Q. Public via his Twitter feed.

Just set up a shell corp in the Caymans, Bahamas, etc with Elon as the Sole proprietor, everyone would be investing in some sketch out of country NFT business owned by Elon who would then invest what is technically his money into SpaceX.
Old 18 November 2022, 02:56 AM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I would be willing to bet my life Elon musk does not frequent TRF.
Old 18 November 2022, 03:00 AM   #26
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I wouldn't touch anything Musk's involved with. His Twitter antics are very revealing.

There's a BBC series about him which is worth a watch. One of his fangirls here claims that he's "smarter than Einstein". She kept a straight face, but I had to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7jad4gLG8
Why is wanting his employees to be hard working an antic? Furthermore if you don’t wanna work hard and be loyal he’s giving 3 months severance. See ya
Old 18 November 2022, 08:32 AM   #27
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Genuine question

Can someone give me an example of anything Elon has personally done that would classify him as a "Genius" in the traditional sense (like Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Nicolaus Copernicus etc)?
Not something he has said
Not something he has bought into
Not something he has funded
Something he has actually done
Old 18 November 2022, 08:48 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Old 18 November 2022, 08:50 AM   #29
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
Why is wanting his employees to be hard working an antic? Furthermore if you don’t wanna work hard and be loyal he’s giving 3 months severance. See ya
He's looking more and more like an idiot. The paid Blue Tick nonsense, disseminating/retweeting misinformation, and generally behaving like David Brent from The Office.

He's a "Beg", in common parlance.
Old 18 November 2022, 08:53 AM   #30
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Genuine question

Can someone give me an example of anything Elon has personally done that would classify him as a "Genius" in the traditional sense (like Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Nicolaus Copernicus etc)?
Not something he has said
Not something he has bought into
Not something he has funded
Something he has actually done
He's an astute entrepreneur, but he hasn't invented anything at all. I can't imagine Musk being able to grapple with quantum mechanics or relativity, for instance.

I think a lot of people mistake eccentricity for genius.
Closed Thread