The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 June 2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Time Gain Mystery

Possible stumper for our experts;

Recently had my K series Sub Date serviced (overhaul, regulation). Since the service has been running with remarkable accuracy for well over a week with zero seconds lost or gained except for the following scenario which has now occurred twice...

While wearing (daily) and/or on the nightstand, dial up, stays dead on time but twice since the service while playing golf I took the watch off and stored it in a pocket of my golf bag and after the round (approx. 4 hours) it had gained almost 20 seconds. The first time I hacked the second hand and let it “catch up” to the correct time. The second time just to see what would happen I did not adjust for the time gain and since playing yesterday afternoon it has maintained, exactly, the 20 seconds gained. I have played/practiced about 5 times since getting the watch back from service last week but this has only happened twice.

What could be going on while it’s off my wrist and in my golf bag, that doesn’t happen while sitting on the night stand, to cause this kind of “situational” time gain?

Might it be sitting in a “funny” position while in the bag?
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 02:13 AM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

Is it only dial up your watch keeps perfect time? Experiment with your watch, minus the golf bag in dial down, crown down, crown 6, and see if you get a similarly large variation in such a short time.

The big question is, do you put your watch in the bag before you tee off? Or do you get to the second hole and realise you still have it on? Because if that's the case I can guarantee you it's the shock from you hitting the ball.

Now I'm sure many people will say they play golf, or tennis whilst wearing a watch and it doesn't affect them. They are the exception and not the rule. The watch, particularly the balance staff and hairspring are not designed with large shocks in mind. That is, beyond the expected daily knock or two.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 02:17 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
First how did you know it gained 20 seconds what time source did you check it with.As you state your watch was consistant,thats very important with mechanical watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Is it only dial up your watch keeps perfect time? Experiment with your watch, minus the golf bag in dial down, crown down, crown 6, and see if you get a similarly large variation in such a short time.

The big question is, do you put your watch in the bag before you tee off? Or do you get to the second hole and realise you still have it on? Because if that's the case I can guarantee you it's the shock from you hitting the ball.

Now I'm sure many people will say they play golf, or tennis whilst wearing a watch and it doesn't affect them. They are the exception and not the rule. The watch, particularly the balance staff and hairspring are not designed with large shocks in mind. That is, beyond the expected daily knock or two.
Thanks for the feedback!

Once I arrive at the course watch and car keys go into the valuables pocket of the bag (watch in a protective felt bag) and even while practicing have never made one swing with a watch on. Will definitely try and "duplicate" the result by storing the watch in some different positions at night. I could certainly take it back to the watchmaker who did the service but because it has been running, other than when in my bag, with such accuracy don't really want it opened up if it's not "needed".
Old 27 June 2009, 02:32 AM   #5
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Once I arrive at the course watch and car keys go into the valuables pocket of the bag (watch in a protective felt bag) and even while practicing have never made one swing with a watch on. Will definitely try and "duplicate" the result by storing the watch in some different positions at night. I could certainly take it back to the watchmaker who did the service but because it has been running, other than when in my bag, with such accuracy don't really want it opened up if it's not "needed".
maybe the sub was annoyed mickelson didnt win the open...lol..lol
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First how did you know it gained 20 seconds what time source did you check it with.As you state your watch was consistant,thats very important with mechanical watches.
I synch it with timeanddate.com once a week on Monday mornings. Prior to the service it had a time gain of +8 per day so I used to hack it every other week and let it lose the couple minutes it would gain but it never changed from being in my golf bag. Since the service (approx. 10 days) it has been dead on while wearing and/or on my nightstand except for the two "incidents" while in the golf bag.
Old 27 June 2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Skutt50
"TRF" Member

Watch: Old English Fusee
Another long shot is that the vibrations from your golf bag being dragged around the course may affect the accuracy. E.g. I read about drummers having experienced watches behaving strange during a concert.......
Skutt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 02:43 AM   #8
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Not likely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
maybe the sub was annoyed mickelson didnt win the open...lol..lol
Me and the watch were cheering for Sean O'Hair!
Old 27 June 2009, 04:52 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Are you putting it in the bag along with your cell phone..

Cellphones generate a magnetic field and can affect the amplitude of the hairspring..
Old 27 June 2009, 05:07 AM   #10
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
mine gains a few seconds a day, so i'm never late
btw, i have never wound the watch since i started wearing it
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Eureka!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Are you putting it in the bag along with your cell phone..

Cellphones generate a magnetic field and can affect the amplitude of the hairspring..
Use of cell phones for calls is not allowed on our course so I often leave the phone in my locker or car but when I do bring it with me (to check emails) yes I put the watch, phone and car keys in the same pocket!!

I have plans to play 3 times over the coming weekend so will leave the phone out and see what happens.

Thanks so much, you truly are an expert!!!
Old 27 June 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
allanofcalifornia
"TRF" Member

So, are you carrying your golf bag or do you have it in back of a cart?

Allan
allanofcalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2009, 12:13 PM   #13
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanofcalifornia View Post
So, are you carrying your golf bag or do you have it in back of a cart?

Allan
Good point. The electric motor of a golf cart could generate a magnetic field.

The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2009, 08:29 AM   #14
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Kid View Post
Good point. The electric motor of a golf cart could generate a magnetic field.

I usually walk but occasionally take a cart especially if playing more than once in the same day. The carts at my course are gas not electric.

Played 27 holes today, watch in the little storage pocket as usual, phone left in my locker. Synched it to timeanddate.com at approx. 6AM before leaving the house and just checked it...after almost 8 hours in the bag and 4 on my wrist "dead on balls" accurate!

I think Tools was right on w/that call but will check again after playing tomorrow.
Old 28 June 2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Sounds like a positional error with your balance staff. or possibly an endshake problem. Other possibilities could be that if there is any metal in your golf bag say like your clubs there could be a magnetism problem. Just some thoughts to ponder Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2009, 01:19 AM   #16
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Sounds like a positional error with your balance staff. or possibly an endshake problem. Other possibilities could be that if there is any metal in your golf bag say like your clubs there could be a magnetism problem. Just some thoughts to ponder Rik
Played twice on Sunday - morning round w/the boys, afternoon w/the wife - and with no phone in the bag still right on time so it would seem that was the "problem". I am scheduled to bring it back to the watchmaker for a one month follow up on the regulation in a couple of weeks so will mention all of this to him, thanks.

More important question...can you get me on at Seminole?!?
Old 1 July 2009, 01:46 AM   #17
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me and the watch were cheering for Sean O'Hair!
sean o'hair??? why rooting for him??? that crowd was loud???? i never heard a crowd that loud at a golf tourney.... i thought i was at the garden.... the "lets go phil" chants were very loud...
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2009, 01:56 AM   #18
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
sean o'hair??? why rooting for him??? that crowd was loud???? i never heard a crowd that loud at a golf tourney.... i thought i was at the garden.... the "lets go phil" chants were very loud...
I know him, O'Hair, from home (Philly) he plays out of a club that I used to play at. He's due to win a big one, "Lefty" not so much. Mickelson is good to very good, IMO, when he's got a large lead but always seems to find a way to dump a couple shots when he's being squeezed in a major. I predict he will never win another.
Old 1 July 2009, 04:48 AM   #19
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Just wear the watch...I never take my watch off for golf.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2009, 05:14 AM   #20
niner niner seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV
? - what about keeping 2 rolexes side by side at night, would that affect the accuracy of one or both? thanks.
niner niner seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2009, 01:40 AM   #21
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Right church, wrong pew!

Quote:
I usually walk but occasionally take a cart especially if playing more than once in the same day. The carts at my course are gas not electric.

Played 27 holes today, watch in the little storage pocket as usual, phone left in my locker. Synched it to timeanddate.com at approx. 6AM before leaving the house and just checked it...after almost 8 hours in the bag and 4 on my wrist "dead on balls" accurate!

I think Tools was right on w/that call but will check again after playing tomorrow.
After "figuring out", with help from TRF, that the problem may have been the cell phone removed it and played a couple of rounds with no time gain but, after playing on Friday of last week with no phone in the bag, +7. WTF???

As I was getting ready to play on Saturday morning it hit me...there are magnets in the head cover for my putter and sometimes during play I store that IN THE SAME SIDE POCKET where the watch was stored. Moved the putter cover to a different pocket on the other side of the bag and played a round on Saturday, plus twice on Sunday, with zero time gain!!

I still think that Tools was right on with the magnet theory but the source seems to have been the combo of cell phone and putter cover as, with both removed from proximity of the watch pocket, zero time gained!

Again, thanks to all for your replies, hopefully this puts the matter to rest!
Old 7 July 2009, 02:02 AM   #22
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good to hear that you may have figured out yor puzzle..........
Old 20 July 2009, 06:13 AM   #23
LeBron Style
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niner niner seven View Post
? - what about keeping 2 rolexes side by side at night, would that affect the accuracy of one or both? thanks.
You a big 2 Rolex guy?
LeBron Style is offline   Reply With Quote