The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2008, 04:32 AM   #1
estokada
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmt master IIc
Help Please Newbie needs input to decide.

Hello All,

I am new to the world of Rolex Watches and have decided to buy one next month. I cannot decide between the Daytona ss White dial and the Gmt master II ss. If anyone can give me an insight into which is the better watch for a first purchase it would be greatly appreciated. The difference in price is not too much of a factor for me as my wonderful wife has given me the budget for either watch. Another thing I am not concerned about is the resale of the watch as I do not like giving up my current treasures for new ones. Any advice at all would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
estokada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 04:36 AM   #2
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Quote:
Originally Posted by estokada View Post
Hello All,

I am new to the world of Rolex Watches and have decided to buy one next month. I cannot decide between the Daytona ss White dial and the Gmt master II ss. If anyone can give me an insight into which is the better watch for a first purchase it would be greatly appreciated. The difference in price is not too much of a factor for me as my wonderful wife has given me the budget for either watch. Another thing I am not concerned about is the resale of the watch as I do not like giving up my current treasures for new ones. Any advice at all would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My advice, go to your stockist who has both, (prob non AD at a guess due to Daytona wait list) - slap both on your wrist (one at a time of course !) - and buy the one that smiles back at you the most... These is no better or worse - both are AWESOME !

Good luck mate

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 04:42 AM   #3
flguy5
"TRF" Member

I recently bought the new SS GMT-II with the ceramic bezel and I love it. The only bad thing is it took 9 months and 5 countries to find one! Major thing that steered me to the new GMT aside from its new improvemets was its time-zone features. I am in the military and do quite a bit of traveling so the GMT Master II was a natural fit.
flguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello All,

Are you more likely to time things, or more likely to know the time in different time zones?
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 04:46 AM   #5
Dr S

Watch: 1665/16610lv/16600
If you don't care about resale - do you need the chronograph function? Do you prefer a date - if you don't use Chrono and prefer a date - that's your answer - I much prefer the GMTIIC anyway.
Dr S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 04:51 AM   #6
srl7741

I was faced with the same choice a few months ago. With the new improvements in the IIc and the fact I travel and need the time zone function is was an easy one. I love the IIc and I'm so glad I chose that over the Daytona. I will say tho, i'm still going to end up with a Daytona someday b/c i also like that watch.
srl7741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
For decades I have been a GMT guy...

I love them... The clear dial, the useful bezel and the versatility to travel and do light swimming, snorkel, dive duties...

That is.....until they came out with the GMTIIc.. I just can't wrap my head around it..The block case, the razzle-dazzle bracelet, the over-sized bezel numbers...... While still the same versatile watch.. it just doesn't get it for me..

The Daytona is classic. Rare, beautiful, possibly the ultimate dress watch..........yet, it can double on safari or a simple picnic..

Out of the two, I'll take this one:
larrylight.jpg
Old 13 October 2008, 05:57 AM   #8
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
In terms of usefulness I'd say the GMT-IIC. You'll have to assess aesthetics on your own.

Of course, the likelihood of finding someone to sell you a Daytona at MSRP, unless you have been a heavy buyer of other brands from the AD, is remote. So if you want it right away you can buy a GMT-IIC from an authorized dealer tomorrow and maybe even get a small discount. The SS Daytona purchase will require you to wait (maybe forever) at an AD or go used or grey market. Sadly, GM will mean having to pay a few thousand over MSRP for the privilege. Suspect that helps you decide.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 06:04 AM   #9
Ivy League
Banned

Watch: 116710LN
Either way you can't go wrong. The Daytona may be a little more difficult to locate, but worth the hunt if you find one. I have the GMT IIc and it is a spectacular watch. Like the previous post have indicated, try them both on to determine which one grabs you and won't let go. Also consider if you require the chrono function or the date function and 24 hour hand. Good luck and post some pics when you score.
Ivy League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 06:20 AM   #10
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
For decades I have been a GMT guy...

I love them... The clear dial, the useful bezel and the versatility to travel and do light swimming, snorkel, dive duties...

That is.....until they came out with the GMTIIc.. I just can't wrap my head around it..The block case, the razzle-dazzle bracelet, the over-sized bezel numbers...... While still the same versatile watch.. it just doesn't get it for me..

Attachment 41442

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking. Ever since Rolex messed up the beloved GMT II I have been having serious issues knowing that I will never be able to go to my AD and by another. Why does Rolex do the things they do ? Why cant they offer the new GMT IIC and still produce the classic GMT II? Why do they discontinued the perfect SD and replace it with the SDDS? I think they would really increase sales if they kept classic models in the AD's and introduced newer models at the same time, simultaneously producing both of them for ever.
Old 13 October 2008, 06:24 AM   #11
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Thank you for saying what I have been thinking. Ever since Rolex messed up the beloved GMT II I have been having serious issues knowing that I will never be able to go to my AD and by another. Why does Rolex do the things they do ? Why cant they offer the new GMT IIC and still produce the classic GMT II? Why do they discontinued the perfect SD and replace it with the SDDS? I think they would really increase sales if they kept classic models in the AD's and introduced newer models at the same time, simultaneously producing both of them for ever.
Too many options is problematic. Sorry that you don't like them, but it's not practical in terms of inventory or manufacturing to add yet never subtract from the product line. I like the '66 Corvettes but why would I expect Chevy to still make it. You should be able to buy whatever you want in the used market for many years.
Old 13 October 2008, 06:28 AM   #12
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

if you are looking for beauty go for the daytona, its the most beautiful watch IMHO
if you are looking for practicality go for the GMT!

In conclusion, I love both so much
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 06:33 AM   #13
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Too many options is problematic. Sorry that you don't like them, but it's not practical in terms of inventory or manufacturing to add yet never subtract from the product line. I like the '66 Corvettes but why would I expect Chevy to still make it. You should be able to buy whatever you want in the used market for many years.
It's not that I don't like them, they look very nice but I just miss the classic and I thought it was perfect in every way. I don't need the maxi case or maxi dial and I sure don't want polished center links on any of my watches. I have a hard enough time keeping scratches of the cases polished sides never mind the bracelet, it's just a scratch magnet IMHO. The new GMT II's are very sharp looking but I think that they lost some of the comfort and overall appeal that they already had with the classic design.
Old 13 October 2008, 06:34 AM   #14
BigHat
Banned

Are you up on the prices? Just to keep it apples to apples. GM is Swiss Luxury here.

GMT-IIC : $7,000 MSRP, $6,735 in the GM

SS Daytona: $9,925 MSRP, $11, 995 in the GM (special sale, normally $13,895)

Short of a miracle, you won't get an AD to sell you one anytime soon, so a $5K price delta exists.

If you want to read for a month, just do a search of "SS Daytona" and you'll get a feel for the market.
Old 13 October 2008, 06:37 AM   #15
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
It's not that I don't like them, they look very nice but I just miss the classic and I thought it was perfect in every way. I don't need the maxi case or maxi dial and I sure don't want polished center links on any of my watches. I have a hard enough time keeping scratches of the cases polished sides never mind the bracelet, it's just a scratch magnet IMHO. The new GMT II's are very sharp looking but I think that they lost some of the comfort and overall appeal that they already had with the classic design.
Trevor,
Understand and don't dispute your assessment. I was just commenting on the practicality of never discontinuing models when new ones are released. I think you'd agree, Rolex hasn't had a hard time selling all the GMT-IICs they are making.
Old 13 October 2008, 06:40 AM   #16
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Trevor,
Understand and don't dispute your assessment. I was just commenting on the practicality of never discontinuing models when new ones are released. I think you'd agree, Rolex hasn't had a hard time selling all the GMT-IICs they are making.
I understand Matt that they would never do such a thing, but I can dream cant I I think I am old school, change is BAD, change is BAD.
Old 13 October 2008, 06:45 AM   #17
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
I drive for fun so I like the Daytona, yet the GMTiiC is more like my cup of tea. If I need a Chrono I slap on my Speedy and off we go. Good luck on the big decision
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 06:51 AM   #18
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think that whatever watch you choose will be stunning, the only way to decide is to try them both and then buy the one that you like best, nice problem to have, enjoy.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 06:57 AM   #19
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

My thoughts and I am fourtunate to have both. GMT IIc is what I wear the most. I really like it. Mike and Tools on this forum have definitely helped in me really wanting a classic GMT - Karmatp's comments are right on.... Nevertheless, I have a GMT IIc and recently the White Daytona - I have yet to wear the Daytona - but, I LOVE it. I just think it's beautiful.

If you can get the White Daytona - even from Great TRF folks trying to sell one or Tempoking - do that. These days, you can get a LNIB (Like New) Maybe even Brand new for not much more over MSRP and the way things are going - you may be able to get it close to MSRP with a little work.

So, here's my take - if you can get the Daytona - do it. There is no risk there at all - you will love it forever. If you cant... The GMT II is awesome and there is IMO - No risk there. The GMT IIc as noted is just much easier to find and man - the prices have really come down especially for "pre-loved" I kick myself for paying MSRP on that one eventhough, I love it and it is my daily watch (paid MSRP but, worth every penny).

So, Daytona then GMT IIc if you are fortunate to have more than one watch eventually then get the GMT IIc. Both watches are different enough and would be a great compliment.

Welcome to TRF - You will always find people here willing to help how they can.
Old 13 October 2008, 11:43 AM   #20
mike
"TRF" Member

No wrong answer here. Of the two this would be my first choice,

But can't go wrong here.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 12:32 PM   #21
estokada
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all the advice. And have an additional question. Why is the Daytona selling at a premium at AD's? Do they not have to Rolex price lists?
Old 13 October 2008, 12:49 PM   #22
Mrdi
Banned

A sidekick or
A beautiful woman
tough choice.
choose wisely
and with your heart.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2008, 12:56 PM   #23
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
Daytona. DAYTONA....DAYTOOOOOOONNNNAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 08:27 AM   #24
estokada
"TRF" Member

hello everyone Thankyou for all your advice. I picked up my Gmt master II today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (26.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 14 October 2008, 08:35 AM   #25
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new GMT II, most of the members around here have raved about it. Good luck.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2008, 08:38 AM   #26
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
I appreciate all the advice. And have an additional question. Why is the Daytona selling at a premium at AD's? Do they not have to Rolex price lists?
Most Daytonas will NOT sell at above retail at an AD, though I think we've established that they can and do at times. That's not the problem.

The issue is that they usually sell the very few SS models they get each year to those that buy lots of watches from them.

Here's the scenario. They get one in and put it in the safe and call their best customers to see if anyone wants it. You walk in off the street, never seen before and ask if they have one for sale. They either say no or put you a mythical waiting list.

There are variations to the above but I'd say this is the most common situation. The other situation is that they sell them into the GM for a grand over retail and the GM tacks another grand or two on the price and sells it.

Edit: Congrats. That was the way to go anyway.