The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2024, 01:24 AM   #31
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Polish or no ?

Based on how you wear it and you have other watches, I would not polish.

Keep this one as your fun beater that you will throw into any situation and just enjoy the patina over the years.

Baby the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:28 AM   #32
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Don’t polish

This is how well worn Rolexes are supposed to look

Old 26 April 2024, 01:37 AM   #33
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes for sure polish by RSC. Get a "new" watch back and start over again. At least, that's how I approach things.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:39 AM   #34
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
There have been many many examples of bad RSC work in my limited time on the forum respectfully :)

I’ve had watches polished with no issues. But it is a risk.

Agreed, it is a risk. And here’s an example, or proof as has been requested. The crown guards on the left have been overly polished down by RSC Dallas (~2018). The crown guards on the right is how the watch looked prior to servicing and polishing.

My sense is this is an anomaly, and RSC Dallas acknowledged and corrected the situation by replacing the case at no cost (helps to have before pics!). Vast majority of the time it will come out great from an RSC.

For the OP - in light of how you wear your watch, I would pass on the polishing. I don’t suffer from “anti polish syndrome”, and I’m not a member of the “pro polish police”, though I do believe the choice is personal and situational and not that big of a deal either way.

Love the 126600, congrats!
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:56 AM   #35
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
polish it and you get a new watch again
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 02:25 AM   #36
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Unless you have "memory or legacy scratches" that add to the character of the watch, always polish so it at least looks like you got something for the money. It will fell brand new again.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 02:50 AM   #37
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Unless you have "memory or legacy scratches" that add to the character of the watch, always polish so it at least looks like you got something for the money. It will fell brand new again.
I think you have hid the nail on the head in my counter argument with myself here. At least it will look like something has been done

Thanks for the replies everybody all is helpful :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 03:01 AM   #38
capecodmike
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, YM Rho
Recently received my YM slate back from RSC for a service.

It was roughly 6 years old.

I forgot all about polishing. It came back polished. Looking quite new.

I was happy with it. Looks great. I can't seem to find that any harm has been done.
capecodmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 04:22 AM   #39
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
No polishing
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 04:42 AM   #40
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
My thought is flip a coin ..
a polished coin?? because i gotta tell ya, this quarter in my pocket is covered in fine scratches. ..
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 05:04 AM   #41
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Polish the damn thing already! Then wear it like you stole it!
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 11:06 AM   #42
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m unsure whether to have it polished. Usually I just get it done it doesn’t bother me. However, this watch gets worn very hard and I enjoy “not taking care of it” so much as to my other watches.
Usually?????

The thing is 8 years old! How many times has it been serviced???
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 11:09 AM   #43
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today there is a anti polish syndrome god knows why as long as its done at normal routine RSC service NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.
Or....sorry, Padi....there is nothing wrong with liking those factory sharp edges and points, and not wanting to get it polished. Its a tool watch for crying out loud. If you are asking, I vote for no polish with the service.
Old 26 April 2024, 11:16 AM   #44
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Usually?????

The thing is 8 years old! How many times has it been serviced???
Referring to other watches…
Old 26 April 2024, 11:16 AM   #45
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
When you get the insides all cleaned and tidied, there is nothing wrong with having the outside reflect a fresh new look too.

For those who are polishphobic, then you certainly don't need to take that step and lose sleep at night.
Old 26 April 2024, 12:03 PM   #46
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Referring to other watches…
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 26 April 2024, 12:53 PM   #47
BigTex22
"TRF" Member

Team Polish. This isn’t like “sharpening the corners” of a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie card.

BigTex22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 02:52 PM   #48
karleone
"TRF" Member

I always ask my watch not to be polished during service and made it written. Why? Because my watches are either unpolished or repolished but very well done so I don’t want to take the risks Rolex messing up with polish. Whatever people who are fan of polishing says a repolished watch would never look as good as a factory unpolished Rolex. Especially on 4/5 digits Sub/SD/GMT/Explo 2 where the case have bevels/ chamfers most of watches after a repolish lose these bevels/ chamfers that were originally there when the watch left the factory. It’s very common to see as well rounded lugs, lug holes surface not sharp, rounded crown guards, lug holes too close from bevel/ chamfer if still there etc. An additional problem is lugs not being V brushed as it supposed to be on 4/5 digits or with a grain different from Rolex factory finish. People saying a Rolex will come back as new after RSC are just not enough knowledgeable. On a 4/5 digits best case your watch has been repolished by an expert like Rolliworks or LAWW or someone very qualified at RSC and it will look decent / great (but not 100% orignal factory finish). Worst case your watch has been polished not by an expert (and it happens a lot even by Rolex RSC) and your watch has no more scratches so form a non expert looks new but someone who know about polish / repolish will be able to say watch has been repolished and it won’t look as good / not as sharp as initially
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 02:55 PM   #49
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Or....sorry, Padi....there is nothing wrong with liking those factory sharp edges and points, and not wanting to get it polished. Its a tool watch for crying out loud. If you are asking, I vote for no polish with the service.
Don’t be sorry. Padi loves his watches to be polished and can’t understand some people don’t share his views
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 11:02 PM   #50
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Sent off today I opted to polish :)
Old 26 April 2024, 11:44 PM   #51
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post

Agreed, it is a risk. And here’s an example, or proof as has been requested. The crown guards on the left have been overly polished down by RSC Dallas (~2018). The crown guards on the right is how the watch looked prior to servicing and polishing.

My sense is this is an anomaly, and RSC Dallas acknowledged and corrected the situation by replacing the case at no cost (helps to have before pics!). Vast majority of the time it will come out great from an RSC.

For the OP - in light of how you wear your watch, I would pass on the polishing. I don’t suffer from “anti polish syndrome”, and I’m not a member of the “pro polish police”, though I do believe the choice is personal and situational and not that big of a deal either way.

Well Padi, here is the proof you requested...

Time to top trump all this silly talk with pictures of your workhorse SD, which has spent many years under water and counting, you can even tell us the story again about when you realised the crown was open underwater when responsible for a crew of divers...
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 04:53 AM   #52
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today there is a anti polish syndrome god knows why as long as its done at normal routine RSC service NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.
Agreed. Make it look like new. Nothing worng with letting it show some wear, but why if you are even considering restoring it?
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 05:38 AM   #53
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT View Post

This is why I would never risk polishing plus I like my scratches
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 06:30 AM   #54
bibbi
"TRF" Member

I am Polish. So for me the answer is easy - Polish!

bibbi
bibbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 07:06 AM   #55
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
The polish job on that Sub is criminal!!
4 Aussies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 08:20 AM   #56
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712,116500 & Rest
There is a good polish and bad polish, it all depends on experience and mood of the guy/girl who will do the job for your watch at RSC.

I wouldn't risk it, they won't care if they overpolish your watch. It's routine for them.
Old 27 April 2024, 07:40 PM   #57
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Attaching photos
Old 27 April 2024, 07:42 PM   #58
JSolution
"TRF" Member

This 3 years of solid solid hard 24 hours a day wear. (Minus occasionally wearing others in between)

So for anyone who’s interested to see what a rolex worn without a care in the world for three years looks like it’s really not that bad :)

Old 27 April 2024, 07:50 PM   #59
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
I always ask my watch not to be polished during service and made it written. Why? Because my watches are either unpolished or repolished but very well done so I don’t want to take the risks Rolex messing up with polish. Whatever people who are fan of polishing says a repolished watch would never look as good as a factory unpolished Rolex. Especially on 4/5 digits Sub/SD/GMT/Explo 2 where the case have bevels/ chamfers most of watches after a repolish lose these bevels/ chamfers that were originally there when the watch left the factory. It’s very common to see as well rounded lugs, lug holes surface not sharp, rounded crown guards, lug holes too close from bevel/ chamfer if still there etc. An additional problem is lugs not being V brushed as it supposed to be on 4/5 digits or with a grain different from Rolex factory finish. People saying a Rolex will come back as new after RSC are just not enough knowledgeable. On a 4/5 digits best case your watch has been repolished by an expert like Rolliworks or LAWW or someone very qualified at RSC and it will look decent / great (but not 100% orignal factory finish). Worst case your watch has been polished not by an expert (and it happens a lot even by Rolex RSC) and your watch has no more scratches so form a non expert looks new but someone who know about polish / repolish will be able to say watch has been repolished and it won’t look as good / not as sharp as initially
Picture below of my own working tool 16600 SD, I am sure this watch has seen more use and sometimes abuse than todays pampered watches will see in ten life times. Picture taken after last service it was its fourth service and polish by various RSC world wide. And having serviced many many watches over the plus 50 odd years of owning and wearing Rolex watches never ever had a bad service or bad polish from any RSC. But must admit I don't have a high powered loupe to expect every minute area of any watch I have ever owned.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 09:44 PM   #60
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Grande Padi !! .... we want you and your 16600 in our group. Alessandro is a scuba diving instructor for other simple enthusiasts including myself.