The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2005, 08:07 AM   #1
----

I got a new car for my wife....

I thought that was a decent trade.......

Jacqui's 1989 BMW 325ix has a broken strut on one side, the fill line leading to the gas tank leaks, and the catalytic converter is in need of replacing. The air conditioning doesn't work, and the sun roof doesn't open. So, with several thousand dollars of repairs needed, we decided to say goodbye to this:

And say hello to this (dealers photo):

It's a 2001 325xi, so the newer version of BMW's all wheel drive 3 series car. This one is an auto transmission, but has the Steptronic shift so you can drive it as a standard if you want. Jacqui really wanted a standard transmission, and we did drive one yesterday, but the car wasn't in very good shape even though it has 10,000 less kms on it than this one does.

Since this is the 4th BMW we have bought from this dealer, we used some leverage and got the price down to where we wanted. The colour is quite nice - called Steel Blue - and at least something different than the grey we have had on our other 3 BMW's.

We hope to pick it up Saturday!
Old 29 December 2005, 09:53 AM   #2
dina
"TRF" Member

Great car. Best of luck with it. I like the color
dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 11:50 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Nice car Al. Best of luck with it.
Old 29 December 2005, 02:22 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
My favourite colour, Al. Congrats, Jacqui, on the new BMW....drive safe and enjoy every exhilirating moment behind that wheel!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Nice motor Al, congratulations.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 07:18 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Nice BM one of my favourite colours,but think now the body shape is like a lot of cars out there now.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 11:20 PM   #7
Atomic

That's a hard decision to make Al, but a sound one in the long run. I wish we had made a similar choice since I've dumped over $5,000 into our '94 Camry over the past four years, and it's likely not worth more than $5K now. Man I hate that car.

Anyways, Bimmers are nice cars and that one looks great! We have the tiptronic transmission on my Passat and while it ain't no manual, it's a whole helluva lot better than straight auto. No clutch replacements either.

And I'm sure the 4X4 abilities will serve you well in your area. I actually wish we had some 4 wheelin' ability now since it's been freezing rain for a couple of days.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 29 December 2005, 11:39 PM   #8
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Nice car
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 12:23 AM   #9
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
I think you got a good deal ...... The wife must have been in pretty good shape !!!!! j/k Nice looking car there ;o)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 01:23 AM   #10
----

Thanks guys! We really like this little car. It's always tough to decide when it's the right time to stop spending on the car we have, and I actually wish I had stopped a year ago. We did the brakes on the car, replaced all the headlights, and bought 2 new sets of tires in the past year. I will not get my money back on those items, but we sold the car to my mechanic at the dealership (also our good friend) who has looked after it for the past 10 years. We only got $1,000 for the car, but at least I don't have to deal with the hassle of advertising it and selling it. I do have a spare set of tires that I will sell as well, so maybe we won't doo too badly on it overall.

The new car is great to drive. The steptronic is a fun option, and will come in handy in the winter. The car is surprisingly quick considering the small 2.5 liter engine, and all the weight of the all wheel drive components on it. It's a 5-speed auto, and BMW changed the gearing on the "xi" models to give the car more get-up and go with the added weight, so I am very happy with it's performance. It's only 184 bhp but it goes pretty well with 175 lbs-ft of torque. Of course it's loaded with all kinds or airbags, traction control, power everything, great sound system, etc.......the only thing my wife wanted but didn't get was a heated steering wheel like I have on my 540, but they don't equip any 3's with those from what I can tell (she has circulation issues in her fingers in the winter - Reynaud's syndrome so the heated wheel would have helped that).

So, she is quite happy and I think it's a decent Xmas present.
Old 30 December 2005, 02:11 AM   #11
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Congrats on the new Bimmer Al. I must say that steptronic tranny is good fun. My mom has it on her Mazda 6. It's convenient when you want to get taller shifts out of your car.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2005, 03:35 PM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Nice set of wheels, Al! The colour wasn't inspired by Zoolander, was it?

Anyway, would it be possible to have a heated wheel fitted on as a modification?
Old 30 December 2005, 11:44 PM   #13
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Nice set of wheels, Al! The colour wasn't inspired by Zoolander, was it?

Anyway, would it be possible to have a heated wheel fitted on as a modification?
LOL James! We loved that movie........

Not sure if there is an aftermarket mod for a heated wheel, but I'll check into it - good idea....
Old 31 December 2005, 12:12 AM   #14
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
LOL James! We loved that movie........

Not sure if there is an aftermarket mod for a heated wheel, but I'll check into it - good idea....
You can always get a 540 heated wheel placed into the 3 series. The bolt pattern should be identical. But I would hate to see what a replacement wheel (and airbag) would cost, let alone the labour to instal it.