The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 June 2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Imran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Closing strength of new style clasp

Hello Everyone. My wife's 31mm datejust and my 116710 both have different versions of the new style oyster clasp. On her watch the clasp opening mechanism is not spring loaded nor does it have the fliplock safety feature. Recently the clasp on her watch seems to have loosed somewhat and will open even if pulled from the side rather than lifting up the front end. Can the closing strength on this clasp be tightened somehow, perhaps as the older clasps could by bending the inner blade slightly. It does not seem that it could be bent in that manner as the pieces are quite sturdy... is there some other trick to this. Even on my GMT I would prefer if the clasp closed and opened with more authority...as of now it is almost too smooth. Regards to all. Imran.
Imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Imran
"TRF" Member

Is there anybody out there?

Sorry for the pink floyd inspired title....was hoping someone could help out with this post. Regards, Imran.
Old 23 June 2009, 04:13 AM   #3
rmcarlton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I have no info the add, but I bet someone will be along to help. Good Luck!
rmcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Imran
"TRF" Member

thanks anyhow for the post monty, needed the moral support.
Old 23 June 2009, 04:36 AM   #5
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Since the older style clasp is a simple latch mechanism, it should be something that could be "tightened" (as you put it) by any good watchmaker, especially a Rolex certified one. In fact a simple cleaning, even just a good washing in warm soapy water, could help it catch better because dirt and dust can get into the parts and affect the operation.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Imran
"TRF" Member

You are absolutely spot on...I have noticed that my SD 16600 clasp seems to click into place better when the watch has been recently washed and cleaned. Is there a way that the new style claps can be tightened, either by myself or even a proper watchmaker. regards, Imran.
Old 23 June 2009, 04:55 AM   #7
jdc
"TRF" Member

Hi Imran I have used this method hope it is of use
http://forums.timezone.com/?t=rview&th=2311&goto=2311
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Imran
"TRF" Member

Dear Martin. Already very familiar with this method for the older style clasps, and have previously read the excellent tutorial by dennis on this topic that you kindly provided the link for, however I am trying to find a similar tip for the newer style clasps. Two different types of the new style oyster clasps, 31mm datejust and GMT IIC with the fliplock. I apologise perhaps my original post was not clear enough. regards, Imran.
Old 23 June 2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The flip-lock on the newer style clasps is all together different.. Older stamped flip locks had dimples on the flip that rubbed against the sides of the main clasp and snapped into holes on the sides of the main clasp body.

The newer ones have a machined flip-lock that has two slight divots (partial holes) drilled at about the same place as the original dimples. Inside the main-body there is a spring-bar and the ends extend out through holes in the main body of the clasp... So, when closing, the fliplock now still fits over the main body, but it now depresses the springbar ends and they re-snap into place in the machined divots..

If it no longer functions, then I see a couple of possible problems.. The spring-bar is gummed up with oils and sludge and is not springing back, or the divots are filled with material and it is not engaging fully...

Take the springbar out, clean it, and clean out the divots and see if that makes a difference.. It is also possible that the ends of the springbar are worn down.......... in that case, have the spring bar
replaced......

The GMT and DSSD etc, use a spring deformation lock/unlock mechanism, so you overcome an excentric to snap it open and closed...

Edit: Now that I re-read your issue, you do not have the flip-lock on your wifes DJ, so maybe I didn't help at all......
Old 23 June 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Imran
"TRF" Member

Larry, thank you for the detailed and very informative post. The clasp on my GMT 116710 is working just fine but its almost too smooth...I wish it would click into place with more resistance. Maybe just me being over analytical....its been known to happen when I get a new watch. However the clasp on the wife's DJ is a different story. It will sometimes open even without pulling up on the front tab, and i think that it should not be doing that. even a slight pull on the side of the clasp will cause it to open up. May just need to take it to the AD, unfortunately being Pakistan the AD service dept is somewhat slow on the uptake and sometimes just plain incompetant. Wanted to kniw if there is a way for me to do it myself. Regards, Imran.
Old 13 February 2011, 02:14 AM   #11
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
I know this was a while back, but I'm having the same problem with my DJ - The calp just opens by itself.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote