The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 March 2006, 08:46 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
So in what way is a Patek better than a Rolex?

Hold on, guys, before you start blasting me.....THINK!!!

All that hype about the very expensive Patek...and for what? Just tell me in plain and simple English....for what?

Accuracy? Find me a Patek or any damn watch which can come up to ZERO deviaiton like the 3135 in my new Subby and I'll tell you that you've got a better watch!!

Movement? again!! Okay, okay, so a Patek movement would be better finished, better decorated with all those extra bells and whistles, , but other than that WHAT? How much of your movement do you really see? Bugger all, if you ask me!! Even those of us who have watches fitted with transparent casebacks, surely don't have the time or the inclination to rip the watch off their wrists and stare all day long misty and dewy-eyed at a well-finished movment? And if it's on your wrist, well....

Ruggedness? Ha!! Not a chance!! Clap too hard and loud after a fine show with a Patek on your hand and it just might stop. Trust me, that has actually happened with one member on TURF!!

Dependability? Quite frankly, I would stake my life on a Rolex if I had to...but would I do it with a Patek? You must be joking!

Longevity? Here perhaps, both watches would be well matched with regular service and periodical maintenance.

Resale value? Rolex has already proven itself in this department, but with Patek you'd have to come with an extremely rare model to make mega bucks. I'm not sure how it works with Pateks, but I don't think there are many out there amongst the commoners who would want to choose a Patek over a Rolex as far as a used watch goes.

Now some of you might argue that JJ is trying to compare a Merc with a Ferrari....the Merc being the Rolex and the Ferrari being the Patek. WRONG!! No comparison at all. While the Ferrari is over all a far superior automobie in terms of engineering and performance, the Rolex/Patek comparison would probably just about stop at the finishing of the movements. In terms of durability, performance, ruggedness and sheer toughness, a Rolex would outclass a Patek any day of the week.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 18 March 2006 at 08:49 AM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
...All that hype about the very expensive Patek...and for what? Just tell me in plain and simple English....for what?...
In a word - NOTHING!!!
Old 18 March 2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Well, JJ, methinks you might be trying to quantify the unquantifiable, leading into the same area as the Casio vs. Rolex debate. By your measure, someone could say, "My Casio can tell you the compass bearing and altitude - can your Rolex do that?".

Ultimately, it could simply come down to the brand's heritage. Let's not be under the illusion that a lot of Rolex's image is as much the result of Wilsdorf's clever marketing as it is of the watches' attributes per se. Patek's history goes further back and the company has a stronger sense of traditional watchmaking than does Rolex.

Going with your car analogy, let's look at Honda's NSX. Built during the era when Honda was absolutely trouncing Ferrari in racing circles (pardon the pun), the NSX was a well-engineered car, so much so that Ferrari finally got the message that you could build a fast car that could easily drive down to the supermarket. On top of that, Honda even got Ferrari's traditional designer Pininfarina to do the bodywork for the NSX. After taking care of all the quantifiables, you would think that Honda would have taken over the supermarket by now, but the NSX is still the only car they have built in that class (which leaves them ahead of other Japanese manufacturers). The reality is that while the NSX was a great car, Ferrari's heritage still gave it the edge over Honda.
Old 18 March 2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I have to agree with James here. You're making an impossible comparison, JJ. When one thinks of a fine high end time piece, Patek immediately comes to mind. When you think of a rugged well made watch with cache, you think of Rolex. Is one better than than the other. In what way? Both have their attributes; both habe their downsides. Why bother to compare them. They address different needs and desires.

In other words, it's a waste of time to compare them, IMO.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 01:13 PM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I know one difference, only a Rolex owner would try to compare the two.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 01:14 PM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I have to agree with James here. You're making an impossible comparison, JJ. When one thinks of a fine high end time piece, Patek immediately comes to mind. When you think of a rugged well made watch with cache, you think of Rolex. Is one better than than the other. In what way? Both have their attributes; both habe their downsides. Why bother to compare them. They address different needs and desires.

In other words, it's a waste of time to compare them, IMO.
Well put Ed and James. Very good points.

Old 18 March 2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Wrong, Daren. Only one Rolex owner would try to compare the two.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 01:20 PM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Wrong, Daren. Only one Rolex owner would try to compare the twol.
I am sorry, you are right.

Old 18 March 2006, 01:27 PM   #9
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Not a fair comparison. A more fair one would be to compare Patek with Audemars, Vacheron or Lange.

This is my short version on the subject: (and it applies to more than watches)

You won't find anything more reliable, rugged and trouble free than something built by a machine, on an assembly line.

But there is nothing that a robotic assembly line can do to match the aura, the magic, the tingles you get when you look, feel, touch something that was hand made to the tiniest part by a handfull of people in a manufacture half the size of a modern supermarket.

A Patek is ART.
A Rolex is a darn good rugged accurate FINE WATCH.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatox
Not a fair comparison. A more fair one would be to compare Patek with Audemars, Vacheron or Lange.
Agreed, like comparing beer to wine. Why bother?

To each his own....
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2006, 01:57 PM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:

This is my short version on the subject: (and it applies to more than watches)

You won't find anything more reliable, rugged and trouble free than something built by a machine, on an assembly line.

But there is nothing that a robotic assembly line can do to match the aura, the magic, the tingles you get when you look, feel, touch something that was hand made to the tiniest part by a handfull of people in a manufacture half the size of a modern supermarket.

A Patek is ART.

Good at pics and smart too! Does Faith know how lucky she really is?

Seriously though, great post Chip.

Old 18 March 2006, 02:00 PM   #12
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good at pics and smart too! Does Faith know how lucky she really is?

Seriously though, great post Chip.
thanks Daren!
And no... I don't think she knows.
Member # 87
Old 18 March 2006, 02:04 PM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
thanks Daren!
And no... I don't think she knows.
Well, I would call and tell her, but we both know she wouldn't believe another watch nerd.

Old 18 March 2006, 02:05 PM   #14
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I would call and tell her, but we both know she wouldn't believe another watch nerd.
Call her!
she is out for girl nite while I am bored and starving, on the couch!
Member # 87
Old 18 March 2006, 02:08 PM   #15
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Call her!
she is out for girl nite while I am bored and starving, on the couch!
LOL! I am bored and everyone is sleeping. I am about to break out the camera for a spell and then go to bed.

Old 18 March 2006, 02:13 PM   #16
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL! I am bored and everyone is sleeping. I am about to break out the camera for a spell and then go to bed.
Good idea!
I bought a camera last Friday and I retired my 5 years old Canon G2 point and shoot.
Member # 87
Old 18 March 2006, 03:07 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Thanks for all the replies, guys....keep 'em coming!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 March 2006, 07:50 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
For example, it is easy to buy Patek at up to 30% off MSRP. Try getting that on Rolex, however,they are not deeply discounted and often retain to 85-90% of MSRP on the secondary market.I am a huge Rolex fan but like many other brands.Patek for myself don't know what all the fuss is for,Rolex however are a lesser priced brand. Which allows far more people to realistically afford them. Therefore, people are more likely to know what a Rolex is, than they are to know what a PP, Lange, or AP.So with this in mind it is easy to see why Rolex command their high resales, lots of people know the brand, where as the same may not be true for the other high-enders.

Rolex is one of the best known brands in the world, it tells the time and very reliable. But with some Pateks it's like comparing an apple with a Ferrari, they both may be red, but that's where the comparison ends. PP, Lange, AP, Berget, and I suppose V/C are all fabulous works of timekeeping art. And are really not like the mass produced Swiss watches.But for holding there resale price well, its got to be Patek and Rolex on the top of the list.Is a Patek any better than most of the other high-end brands,IMO definitely no,more expensive yes,but expensive is what counts to some.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 02:25 AM   #19
----

Quote:
This point sums up the debate in my mind.

The fact that the comparison is being made means the person doing it doesn't "get it" IMHO. Sorry JJ, but the two companies are not even in the same league.
Old 19 March 2006, 03:08 AM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A Patek is ART.

Well said, Chip

A Patek is a Patek, nothing else is ! Like Chip said, a Patek is truly a piece of fine art. I don't know about you, JJ, but I bought a Rolex because I can't afford a Patek
Old 19 March 2006, 03:13 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.

Well said, Chip

A Patek is a Patek, nothing else is ! Like Chip said, a Patek is truly a piece of fine art. I don't know about you, JJ, but I bought a Rolex because I can't afford a Patek
Honestly, even if I could afford it, a Patek does nothing for me. I've seen quite a few up close and personal. Would still buy a Rolex!

Old 19 March 2006, 03:16 AM   #22
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honestly, even if I could afford it, a Patek does nothing for me. I've seen quite a few up close and personal. Would still buy a Rolex!
I've seen several, even tried a couple on. Just knowing what it is gives a warm fuzzy feeling I would love to own one some day
Old 19 March 2006, 06:45 AM   #23
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
I've seen several, even tried a couple on. Just knowing what it is gives a warm fuzzy feeling I would love to own one some day
I agree, certainly dream watches......

I am not a fan of the Nautilus, but certainly some of the dressier watches are spectacular (I've always wanted a 3919 - love the hobnail bezel) and their complications are amazing. They are certainly breaking new ground with respect to design and materials (silicon escape wheel being one example) where Rolex has......welll....made some of their watches green......

However, as with Rolex they are premium watches due to the name.
Old 19 March 2006, 07:39 AM   #24
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I agree, certainly dream watches......

I am not a fan of the Nautilus, but certainly some of the dressier watches are spectacular (I've always wanted a 3919 - love the hobnail bezel) and their complications are amazing. They are certainly breaking new ground with respect to design and materials (silicon escape wheel being one example) where Rolex has......welll....made some of their watches green......

However, as with Rolex they are premium watches due to the name.
The 3919 is incredible, I would prefer the 5022G, I especially like the hands on this model and used it may very well be affordable, some day. My dream watch would be the 3940G, but at just under $54,000 US it will have to remain a dream. I held one once, it's absolutely awe inspiring

I agree with your earlier post, "if you can find a way to compare the two, you just don't get it". I think I posted a story here, where I complimented a man once about his Patek. the idiot I was with said it was nice but told the gentleman he should "save up" and eventually get a Rolex if he liked watches so much . I used the same analogy with him, and he just didn't get it
Old 19 March 2006, 10:41 AM   #25
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
IMHO, the only way to really have a comparison (if this is applicable and acceptable) between a PP and Rolex must come from somebody that owns both watches...that would be something real...otherwise we are going to be here talking about something that we read, listened about it but NEVER experienced.
So, as I am not an owner of both watch brands, I can't give my oppinion.
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2006, 12:17 PM   #26
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
IMHO, the only way to really have a comparison (if this is applicable and acceptable) between a PP and Rolex must come from somebody that owns both watches...that would be something real...otherwise we are going to be here talking about something that we read, listened about it but NEVER experienced.
So, as I am not an owner of both watch brands, I can't give my oppinion.
I disagree totally. I have never owned a Patek, but I have pawed more than a few and it is VERY easy to know the difference. Like not being able to tell the difference between a H2 and a Bentley. I don't own either and don't know shite about cars, but I think I can see the obvious differences.

Like I said earlier, only a Rolex owner would try to compare the two, any other WIS already knows the difference.

Old 19 March 2006, 01:50 PM   #27
bhrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ jubilee
I like Pateks but I find that they are very dressy. I prefer Rolexes because they are heavy and somehow Manly. I may one day own a lesser Patak mabye one in the 10K to 20K$ range
Old 19 March 2006, 02:38 PM   #28
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
It is another one of those things JJ, if you have to ask you just don't get it. I mean this is a loaded question from you anyways isn't? You seem to be convinced that Rolex is the be all in watches. Sorry pal, it is not even close. That is the plain and simple truth. When you talk horology, you are talking about the big 3, PP, AP and VC then a host of others like Breguet, GO, JLC and others, nowhere near the top of that list is Rolex mentioned. It is on there, but certainly not at the top.

It would be at the top if they were listing companies that were great at marketing their product.

Is Rolex a great watch, for what the intended purpose is, sure it is. Is the price fair? None of these watches are, but like others have said, I can get a Casio to tell better time, but it won't look as cool or have the history behind it.

But in all fairness comparing these two watch brands is a joke IMHO. Doesn't make any sense to me at all. Especially since you are a self admitted Rolex diehard. Were we supposed to think we would sway you?

You have a hard on for one brand and one brand alone, that is your choice, but to get on here and try to convince anybody that it is the best out there is insane. Simply put, it is NOT!

You wanted input and thought.

Old 19 March 2006, 03:15 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
It is another one of those things JJ, if you have to ask you just don't get it. I mean this is a loaded question from you anyways isn't? You seem to be convinced that Rolex is the be all in watches. Sorry pal, it is not even close. That is the plain and simple truth. When you talk horology, you are talking about the big 3, PP, AP and VC then a host of others like Breguet, GO, JLC and others, nowhere near the top of that list is Rolex mentioned. It is on there, but certainly not at the top.

It would be at the top if they were listing companies that were great at marketing their product.

Is Rolex a great watch, for what the intended purpose is, sure it is. Is the price fair? None of these watches are, but like others have said, I can get a Casio to tell better time, but it won't look as cool or have the history behind it.

But in all fairness comparing these two watch brands is a joke IMHO. Doesn't make any sense to me at all. Especially since you are a self admitted Rolex diehard. Were we supposed to think we would sway you?

You have a hard on for one brand and one brand alone, that is your choice, but to get on here and try to convince anybody that it is the best out there is insane. Simply put, it is NOT!

You wanted input and thought.
Actually, I wasn't trying to convince anyone about anything. Just bringing out the highlights of a Rolex over a Patek, that's all.

Hey...look on the bright side...we are on page 3....and I never even thought we'd get past the first page with this one!!

Old 19 March 2006, 03:17 PM   #30
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Actually, I wasn't trying to convince anyone about anything. Just bringing out the highlights of a Rolex over a Patek, that's all.

Hey...look on the bright side...we are on page 3....and I never even thought we'd get past the first page with this one!!
If we are looking for highlights of Rolex over Patek, this should have been a really short thread.