The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2007, 08:10 AM   #1
seabard
"TRF" Member

6538 Sub: ultra-rare, or re-dialed? see pictures

My 6538 Submariner ser#307xxx dial reads:
ROLEX
OYSTER-PERPETUAL
200M=660FT
TURN-O-GRAPH
SUBMARINER
In all my searching, never seen this dial. There's the old Turn-O-Graph designation, and the
Submariner designation, but I've never seen a dial with BOTH.
Family heirloom with somewhat known history.
Thanks,
Chris
see pictures below in thread

Last edited by seabard; 14 June 2007 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: clarity
seabard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Welcome.....

Do you have a picture of it.

Old 12 June 2007, 09:29 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Welcome!

Boy, I don't know. As Larry said, is it possible to post a pic.? I couldn't find that kind of dial configuration in my references.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 04:11 PM   #4
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Umm..............pictures please.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well not seen any reference to that type dial in any of my books.But
reference books are not always correct.Now the first Sub 6204 was basically very similar to the TOG 6202.Now the original sub was rated to 600ft but was in production only for around 18 months.Then the new ref 6538 its replacement but rated now 660ft,can you please post picture.Welcome to TRF Chris

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2007, 05:51 AM   #6
seabard
"TRF" Member

Old 14 June 2007, 06:03 AM   #7
seabard
"TRF" Member

Here are some pictures. Bezel not original, Bracelet is Rolex.
This was my Pops watch, bought by him in Jacksonville FL. I am honored to wear it today.
Thanks, Chris
Old 14 June 2007, 10:25 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Boy Chris, I've never seen that combination. Perhaps one of the others vintage guys have.

Reguardless, it's history makes it priceless! Wear it well!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2007, 10:50 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks interesting.

Unusual dial, but polish up that crystal, pop in a new dot as the insert seems to be in reasonable condition, and buff up the SS with a scotch brite pad..

If you have the cojones, take it to a watch repair, have them open it up and tell you if it has a Rolex movement and the calibre.
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2007, 11:06 AM   #10
STB
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, JLC, Rolex
One thing for sure, the hands aren't the original ones.

The lumes are different.
Old 14 June 2007, 01:12 PM   #11
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Hello Chris

I'm no expert on the Turn-O-Graph.

But I just had a look through my reference books, and I can't find that dial combination anywhere.

The hyphen between Oyster Perpetual shouldn't be there. Dial should not have Submariner as well as THAT depth rating on it. The "G" in graph doesn't look right. Dial looks relumed also. Hands and bezel insert have also been changed.

Best to take off the bracelet and see the numbers stamped on the case between the lugs.

Turn-O-Graph model number is 6202.

The watch may very well be genuine, however it seems that the dial has been re-done (which is not uncommon), bezel insert as well as the hands have also been changed.

All in all it's a family piece that should be treasured. If it can be restored to its original specs (which will be costlyand very difficult to find parts), it will also be very valuable.

Enjoy your nice watch.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2007, 03:45 PM   #12
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Hello Chris

But I just had a look through my reference books, and I can't find that dial combination anywhere.

The hyphen between Oyster Perpetual shouldn't be there. Dial should not have Submariner as well as THAT depth rating on it. The "G" in graph doesn't look right. Dial looks relumed also. Hands and bezel insert have also been changed.

Best to take off the bracelet and see the numbers stamped on the case between the lugs.

The watch may very well be genuine, however it seems that the dial has been re-done (which is not uncommon), bezel insert as well as the hands have also been changed.

All in all it's a family piece that should be treasured. If it can be restored to its original specs (which will be costlyand very difficult to find parts), it will also be very valuable.

Enjoy your nice watch.

John.
I tend to agree with you John. Im no vintage expert but you raise some good points.
But above all else if it has sentimental value then
Old 14 June 2007, 06:01 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Boy Chris, I've never seen that combination. Perhaps one of the others vintage guys have.

Reguardless, it's history makes it priceless! Wear it well!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
Hello Chris

Enjoy your nice watch.

John.
Got agree with you guys had a look though all my books, no reference to that type of dial.But ref books are not always right agree hands and bezel not right the dial has definitely had some work on it.Possible one of the first sub used 6202 dial with the added depth and submariner.And like John said if original to case very valuable indeed,think Rolex should check this one out.But its still a family heirloom even if its a redial treasure it,and leave it as it is.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote