The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 May 2011, 06:04 AM   #1
Mac-Apple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
Invicta Watches Really?

I was up late last night ,and decided to turn the tv on ,and was flipping through the channels to end up on CNBC , where I see a couple guys peddling Invicta watches. I had never really paid any attention to the brand til last night. This brand is a total knockoff of every classic watch brand/design.. I only watched for about 30 mins ,and I saw about 10 diff designs ,and they all were ripoffs of Rolex ,Sub,Dj,Daytona,Gmt , Breitling , Superocean,Bentley Gt,Navitimer, I even saw a couple that looked like some Tag's

My question is how can this company still be in business? I would of thought they would of been sued by now with all there blatant borrowed watch designs. The wings on the Invicta are awfully close to Breitling. The reviews of Invicta are less than stellar online ,and there service is apparently terrible. The watches looked pretty good from Tv , but I am shocked to see how much they look like every other iconic brand.
Old 6 May 2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Most are no good. They do put Swiss movements in few of their watches, and charge tripple at least for them. The Swiss versions are the only worth buying, better quality.

On one hand I agree, BUT everyone who manufactures a chair doesn't owe money to the guy who invented the chair design. Plus there no absoulty no comparison in quality. they are not fooling anyone who knows.

They are not claiming to be Rolex. Their symbol is not a crown, or a shield, etc. They do not sell at the price a Tag sells at, a Rolex sells at, etc.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 03:52 PM   #3
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
Most are no good. They do put Swiss movements in few of their watches, and charge tripple at least for them. The Swiss versions are the only worth buying, better quality.

On one hand I agree, BUT everyone who manufactures a chair doesn't owe money to the guy who invented the chair design. Plus there no absoulty no comparison in quality. they are not fooling anyone who knows.

They are not claiming to be Rolex. Their symbol is not a crown, or a shield, etc. They do not sell at the price a Tag sells at, a Rolex sells at, etc.
agree totally...
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 06:17 AM   #4
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
design patents expired long time ago ... not everyone can afford the real thing ... Invicta sales are booming
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Tmaca

Right, except for one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbzoso View Post
design patents expired long time ago ... not everyone can afford the real thing ... Invicta sales are booming
Everything you say is absolutely true, except for the expiration thing. Whether it's patent or a copyright or something else that one gets for a design (my bet would be copyright, but I could easily be wrong), although they do expire, they can be, and often are, renewed. I know of one case recently where someone had a Mickey Mouse watch on eBay, and the title was something like "Mickey Mouse Tank Watch by..". After the "by" was whoever had made it, there are several makers of legit Disney watches, even the ones made in the '50s. He was just using "tank", as many people do with rectangular watches, to describe the watch's shape. Within a day of posting it, he got an email from Cartier demanding that he cease and desist from using the word "tank" as it was Cartier property. And while I'm not sure when Cartier first made a tank watch, I do know it was many decades ago. Evidently, their trademark is still in force.

I'd think that some of the makers, if not all, still have enforceable rights regarding at least their most popular designs. I suspect that nobody goes after them because they don't think it is hurting their own sales enough to spend the money to do it.

Invicta Watch Group is in itself something of a ripoff, trading on the Invicta name. Invicta was founded in the 1830s by Raphael Picard in Switzerland, with the stated purpose of bringing quality Swiss watches to the public at reasonable prices. Then along came the "quartz invasion" and real Swiss made Invicta watches pretty much went down the drain, just like a whole lot of other good watches. In the US, for instance, they killed off Bulova's tuning fork Accutrons. In the early 1990s some US investment firm bought Invicta from the Picard family.

They do use some decent movements, ETA, Sellita, RONDA, ISASWISS and also Citizen/Miyota, but a lot of their stuff uses only some Swiss parts and the movements are assembled in other places. Not everything they label as "hand assembled in Switzerland" really is, and short of taking one apart to see who really made the entire movement, I don't yet know of any way to tell which ones really are Swiss and which ones just have some Swiss made parts in them.

They're based in Florida, so they're eminently sueable (is that really a word?), unlike a watch company in someplace like China, but nobody seems to have pursued it yet. Realistically, nobody who could even afford a Rolex, Breitling, etc. would buy an Invicta, so there isn't really any competition there. Maybe the makers even look at it as a long term sales developer. Someone just starting out, in his 20s or so, might buy an Invicta "Rolex", then, when he's made something of himself later on, go ahead and finally buy the real thing that it was copied from.

If there was some sure way to tell which ones have actual Swiss movements in them, they'd probably be very buyable, especially since they're available all over the place for prices a lot lower than you'll see on TV, if you just wanted a good looking watch for not much money.
Tmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Mac-Apple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
I know most people cant afford the real thing , but didn't realize how much these Invicta's looked like every other iconic design.
Old 6 May 2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

If my intent of buying a watch was that it "resembles" the real thing, I guess I would wear an Invicta 1000x's over before buying and wearing the f-word.

Old 6 May 2011, 06:37 AM   #8
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
I think many people are okay with it - as long as there are no Rolex and/or "insert other name here" on their watches... myself included
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
They've been doing that for many years.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 08:09 AM   #10
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
I have the Invicta 8926C because I don't have the money for a Submariner. I love my Invicta, it's fantastic! Well because I'm 15. I will purchase a real Submariner one day!
Old 11 May 2011, 08:50 AM   #11
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
I have the Invicta 8926C because I don't have the money for a Submariner. I love my Invicta, it's fantastic! Well because I'm 15. I will purchase a real Submariner one day!
You being 15, its an especially nice watch to have. I don't have anything against Invicta or their designs and would never call an Invicta a knockoff. Their watches may have similar designs to more expensive one's but they aren't claiming to be a Rolex or Breitling. Besides, not everyone is in a position to buy expensive watches.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 01:42 AM   #12
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
Invicta seem like a decent honest company, I don't think they are breaking any copyright laws so I ain't got a problem with them.

And I've got massive respect for Adam, he's a great active member of the forum. Doing all his research before possible purchases when he's older, total WIS, and he's only 15.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 01:49 AM   #13
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
I have the two-tone Blue Submariner-like Invicta. It works fine, you can definately feel the UNQUALITY oozing from it.

I bought it to determine if I'd like wearing a TT watch before actually buying a real TT Rolex - I didn't like the TT feel, so I paid $90 for a grand experiment...thanks Invicta.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 04:13 AM   #14
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Invicta seem like a decent honest company, I don't think they are breaking any copyright laws so I ain't got a problem with them.

And I've got massive respect for Adam, he's a great active member of the forum. Doing all his research before possible purchases when he's older, total WIS, and he's only 15.
Thanks mate! It means a lot!
Old 6 May 2011, 08:35 AM   #15
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
I'm gonna buy a Daytona! I mean...an Invicta "Speedway"...

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 10:11 AM   #16
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Defiantly buy the Speedway! Which model would you buy?
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 11:32 AM   #17
ibrando
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 177
I second Adam with the 8926C. I picked one up and love it. I *know* it's not a sub, but for me it's a perfect "pre" sub until I can afford one.

Plus, the wife may not even notice when i do get a sub.

Cheers,
B.
Marathon MSAR 2009 Issue [464] (2009) / Marathon Navigator (2011)
Seiko SKX007J (2008)
ibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 11:43 AM   #18
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrando View Post
I second Adam with the 8926C. I picked one up and love it. I *know* it's not a sub, but for me it's a perfect "pre" sub until I can afford one.

Plus, the wife may not even notice when i do get a sub.

Cheers,
B.
You're giving us ideas, here.
Old 6 May 2011, 11:35 AM   #19
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
You must have been watching ShopNBC. They have Invicta on all the time. Personally, I think they're cheap pieces of crap and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one. They're just ripoffs of luxury watches, but just different enough not to be sued for copyright infringement...I think they should be banned on here too!
StarSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 11:44 AM   #20
ibrando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSovereign View Post
Personally, I think they're cheap pieces of crap and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one.
Different strokes for different folks.

My "cheap piece of crap" automatic currently runs +3sec/day. Good enough for me.

Cheers,
B.
Seiko SKX007J (2008)
Old 6 May 2011, 11:46 AM   #21
StarSovereign
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrando View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

My "cheap piece of crap" automatic currently runs +3sec/day. Good enough for me.

Cheers,
B.
But it's nothing but a glorified knockoff! I can't believe you feel ok owning one if you also own and wear a Rolex...
StarSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 12:00 PM   #22
ibrando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But it's nothing but a glorified knockoff! I can't believe you feel ok owning one if you also own and wear a Rolex...
I prefer to think of it as a homage instead of a knockoff. It gives me a great sense of what to expect when I do get a sub in terms of size, knocks, dings, etc.

Like I said, I know it's not a sub, and it certainly doesn't come close to the quality and build of my Precision, but I like it and that's what counts to me.

My Rolex is vintage, it's an entirely different experience of a watch. A 1952 manual wind masterpiece with exquisite history. Someday I hope to have a sub with similar attributes.

I'm sure there are things that you like that others may think are glorified items also.

Be well...

Cheers,
B.
Seiko SKX007J (2008)
Old 6 May 2011, 12:34 PM   #23
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Quote:
What difference does it make if some Invicta models are based on Rolex designs? OK, heavily based. OK, clones even. There are watch brands all over the world that do this; some even more closely than Invicta (at least Invicta conspicuously engraves its name on the side of the pro diver case and has a unique second hand design). Rolex designs are classic. There are even Seiko "copies" of Rolex designs out there that would fool many. Invictas are an excellent value for what they cost. If the movement craps out, you buy another Invicta for the cost of a single link on an oyster bracelet. I'd have no problem owning an Invicta as a beater watch even though I own several Rolexes. Meanwhile, you can feel secure with the superior quality of your Rolex that you pay dearly for, and let those with Invictas enjoy their watches!
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2011, 12:35 PM   #24
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkay View Post
What difference does it make if some Invicta models are based on Rolex designs? OK, [I]heavily[I] based. OK, clones even. There are watch brands all over the world that do this; some even more closely than Invicta (at least Invicta conspicuously engraves its name on the side of the pro diver case and has a unique second hand design). Rolex designs are classic. There are even Seiko "copies" out there that would fool many. Invictas are an excellent value for what they cost. If the movement craps out, you buy another Invicta for the cost of a single link on an oyster bracelet. I'd have no problem owning an Invicta as a beater watch even though I own several Rolexes. Meanwhile, you can feel secure with the superior quality of your Rolex and let those with Invictas enjoy their watches!
Well put

Old 6 May 2011, 12:59 PM   #25
ibrando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What difference does it make if some Invicta models are based on Rolex designs? OK, heavily based. OK, clones even. There are watch brands all over the world that do this; some even more closely than Invicta (at least Invicta conspicuously engraves its name on the side of the pro diver case and has a unique second hand design). Rolex designs are classic. There are even Seiko "copies" of Rolex designs out there that would fool many. Invictas are an excellent value for what they cost. If the movement craps out, you buy another Invicta for the cost of a single link on an oyster bracelet. I'd have no problem owning an Invicta as a beater watch even though I own several Rolexes. Meanwhile, you can feel secure with the superior quality of your Rolex that you pay dearly for, and let those with Invictas enjoy their watches!
Here here, well put indeed.

Cheers,
B.
Seiko SKX007J (2008)
Old 21 May 2011, 04:24 AM   #26
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
absolutely agree

Quote:
On the quality question, for lower cost, auto's like Invicta makes (not the quartz) that have ETA movements, the typical quality issues tend to be inconsistency. There will be more lemons in each lot. If you get a good one, you may have a pretty good watch that holds the time well. However, each pile of watches will have many more lemons, and if you get one, you've got a piece of junk.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2011, 10:37 PM   #27
gregory estero

Watch: SS Black Sub
Has anyone seen an Orient Diver? They copy the Rolex Sub
even closer than Invicta, Seiko owns a large portion of
Orient.
gregory estero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 01:06 AM   #28
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

The Rolex sub is classic and old enough to be copied without me caring too much.

This however is more unacceptable IMO.

Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 04:15 AM   #29
Rolex2

I once bought one of those lupah watches from overstock, but sent it back when it didn't work properly.
The invictas are advertised as swiss, and look overpriced. But they seem to be popular in the mainstream market.

I prefer the bulova and elgin antique watches you can find on ebay. Deco styling and gold filled cases. Small watches by todays standards. Mechanical, not water resistant. Nice collector pieces if you can find one in good shape. Well made watches and pretty good value. They have held up well.
Rolex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2011, 04:17 AM   #30
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
My Daytonas .... haha
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote