The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 September 2011, 06:41 AM   #31
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
hi 10 and welcome. i say wear it all the time and enjoy..!
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 06:43 AM   #32
Power Play
"TRF" Member

Really?

I wore my first Sub every single day (and nite) for 15 years and all it got was a beautiful patina! Then I traded it in on a new one and got all of my money back.

These watches, IMHO, are meant to be worn and enjoyed, not left in a safe or drawer. If you accumulate more than one I might suggest the use of a winder; makes the other watch(es) ready to go at a moment's notice. I find that it increases the chance that I'll swap out the watch I'm wearing for another one and keeps the rotation going with very little hassle.

Power Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 06:52 AM   #33
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Play View Post
I wore my first Sub every single day (and nite) for 15 years and all it got was a beautiful patina! Then I traded it in on a new one and got all of my money back.
and thats the way its done
Old 7 September 2011, 07:05 AM   #34
colpol
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=thsiao;2721065]I also reserve my "nicer" watches for the weekend or for after work hours... don't need to be wearing any nice watches at work for people to start gossiping.

QUOTE]

Where you draw the line ?? Your friends start gossiping ? Maybe the guys in the pub ? Guys you play golf with ? I fell into that trap back in the mid 90's for about 3/ 4 months when I bought my first - what I considered - proper watch. It was an Omega SMP. Then I just wore it solid for 10 years before I got my SD. Mostly ever day unless a need to take it off.

After a few weeks you don't even give it a 2nd thought
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 07:46 AM   #35
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I say wear it every day. Pull your rubber glove over it if it makes you feel better.

Hell - your drill and assorted picks are more dangerous, and they aren't hurting anyone.

Old 7 September 2011, 07:53 AM   #36
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
I also reserve my "nicer" watches for the weekend or for after work hours... don't need to be wearing any nice watches at work for people to start gossiping.

Regarding the winder use, as someone already stated, there are two schools of thought regarding this topic. IMHO, if you only have that one watch, then get a winder.
If you're a dentist or physician, etc. they already know you're making $200k and up. No need to hide it. You roll in to work in a rover/Benz/BMW right? They cost 5-10 times more than a new sub.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 08:25 AM   #37
R.G
Banned

So there you are... You have a lot of people replying in relation to how frequently you should/are going to where it, rather than the original question.

If you want to save your wifes gift for the weekends and special occasions, that's great.

You won't need a winder as it's a basic movement so you'll be good to simply wind it without damaging it as and when you wish to wear it.

Enjoy.

R.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 08:52 AM   #38
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
So there you are... You have a lot of people replying in relation to how frequently you should/are going to where it, rather than the original question.

If you want to save your wifes gift for the weekends and special occasions, that's great.

You won't need a winder as it's a basic movement so you'll be good to simply wind it without damaging it as and when you wish to wear it.

Enjoy.

Some of us are replying to others comments/follow up comments in the thread. I don't feel obligated to limit my comments exclusively to the original post. It's clear that he seems to have an unfounded concern about wearing it while gloved, etc. It's fair to address that. I probably change gloves 50 times a day for years w/o any problems, scratches, etc.
Without a winder, you do run the very small risk of cross threading the crown when you reseal it weekly. I would rather throw it on the winder and know it's ready 24/7. I have 4 on a winder now. No problems. Of course you might find yourself changing back after work, so you might not need to do either.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:36 AM   #39
gvargas10
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for all of your opinions. It really helped me out a lot. My goal is to keep it looking in excellent condition and want to make sure it stays that way for a long time. I did the same with a movado that I bought myself right after I finished school. Plus I don't want to come off too flashy to my co-workers
gvargas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:47 AM   #40
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Welcome to TRF

IMO a Sub isn't a flashy watch. I wore my first one pretty much 24/7 for 11 years straight. It will handle anything you throw at it. When the time comes for a service, Rolex will make it look brand new again

Go for it. Life's too short not to enjoy it
Old 7 September 2011, 12:38 PM   #41
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

I do A/C work so I can not roll up to a customers house wearing a 12k Rolex. However as soon as I get home around 4-5pm its on the wrist until I hit the sack at 11pm. So technically Im wearing it everday and I never need to put it on a watch winder or wind it manually. I say wear it when you can.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 12:41 PM   #42
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
If you're a dentist or physician, etc. they already know you're making $200k and up. No need to hide it. You roll in to work in a rover/Benz/BMW right? They cost 5-10 times more than a new sub.
A dentist making 200k. That is more reason to floss at night and brush 3 times a day.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:34 PM   #43
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
A dentist making 200k. That is more reason to floss at night and brush 3 times a day.
Whats worse is a chiropractor making that much!!
Old 7 September 2011, 10:49 PM   #44
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Some of us are replying to others comments/follow up comments in the thread. I don't feel obligated to limit my comments exclusively to the original post. It's clear that he seems to have an unfounded concern about wearing it while gloved, etc. It's fair to address that. I probably change gloves 50 times a day for years w/o any problems, scratches, etc.
Without a winder, you do run the very small risk of cross threading the crown when you reseal it weekly. I would rather throw it on the winder and know it's ready 24/7. I have 4 on a winder now. No problems. Of course you might find yourself changing back after work, so you might not need to do either.
Fair enough, although the reason I said what I did was because the OP said he couldn't find a 'straight answer' online.

Some would argue that by keeping a watch on a winder may cause excessive wear, when this particluar watch doesn't need it. Plenty of references on the forum I believe...

Personally for me the only purpose/benefit of a winder would be to have it ready to go 24 hours a day (if you can't be bothered to wind for 30 seconds).
R.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 10:54 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
And what about the millions of Rolex and other manual wind watches with screw down crowns.Now they get wound almost daily for decades without problems this thread stuff is mainly a Internet myth. And things like crown tubes,and crowns are just normal serviceable items anyway and are often replaced at normal service time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 11:06 PM   #46
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
My dentist wears his Day-Date when I am in his office .... I'm sure the Sub will do just fine .... Congrats on a really nice watch
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 11:25 PM   #47
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I bought a Datejust as a dress watch so that sits in the safe till the weekend rolls around. Now a sub should be worn everyday. I love my datejust & will never sell it but I'm sorry I didn't but a sub first. Wear it & enjoy it.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2011, 11:27 PM   #48
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Wear that great looking watch ,Life's too short not to enjoy it!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote