The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2020, 09:23 AM   #1
hpod
"TRF" Member

Dressy Vs Sports

I know that we have dress watches and then we have sports watches. Dress watches as suggested by the name are generally formal in nature whereas sports watches are generally casual in nature.

I would love to have a discussion with you guys and get your opinions on which rolex watches would you recommend as a dress watch and as a casual watch? Which watch do you think works for both genres?

My personal favorites :-
1. White dial ceramic Daytona - Casual
2. Presidential Day Date Rose Gold - Formal
3. Submariner Yellow Gold with Blue Dial for both genres.

Would love to hear back from you guys on your opinions.
hpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
There is no situation in the year 2020 any Rolex sport model would not be acceptable in. A SS Submariner looks just as good with a tuxedo as it does with a swim suit.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Dressy Vs Sports

The purists will insist that a “pure” dress watch should be on a leather strap and have no complications. For example, Patek Phillipe Calatrava or a JLC Reverso.

However, in the 21st century, a Datejust is definitely fine, and so is a black dial Submariner. Exp 1 and OPs are fine too, no doubt. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

I personally draw the line at a multi-color chronograph, but even an Omega Speedmaster Pro on a leather strap is fine with a suit nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Xenon
Banned

The President trumps all.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:47 AM   #5
____nick____
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
There is no situation in the year 2020 any Rolex sport model would not be acceptable in. A SS Submariner looks just as good with a tuxedo as it does with a swim suit.

This

____nick____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:19 AM   #6
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Rolex only;

Casual, 126660 JV DSSD
Formal, Cellini Dual time
Combo, 116518 LN Daytona on Oysterflex (pick your dial)

Non Rolex

Casual, Omega Planet Ocean Master Chronometer Chronograph
Formal, Patek Philippe Calatrava 5227 (pick your gold tone)
Combo, Omega Seamaster 300M Diver black dial Sedna gold and stainless steel

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:26 AM   #7
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Casual: DD, DJ, OP, SkyD.
Dress: Cellini.
lord91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
Nope. James Bond gets away with that, but we aren't Bond.

Some people will agree with you, and others will think a big bulky tool watch looks as silly with a tux as a baseball cap would. Do some people wear a ball cap in a tux? Sure. But it still looks ridiculous.

The western world has gotten noticeably more casual in the past 30 years, and this receding decorum has crept into almost every aspect of our lives. That's reality, and I get it. Just don't confuse a tool watch with a dress watch. They are different.

Of course, anyone is free to wear a tool watch anywhere they want. It's your watch and your choice. Most people won't care. Maybe you won't care - which is also totally fine. But ask yourself why you are wearing the tux to begin with. You are adhering to a social norm of what defines dressing up for an occasion. Why ignore the watch part if you are dressing up in a tux?

I appreciate the opportunity to mix up my watch wearing regimen. That's why I own so many. But I'd rather go watchless with Black Tie than wear a G-Shock or its mechanical equivalent in such a scenario.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:52 AM   #9
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post

Some people will agree with you, and others will think a big bulky tool watch looks as silly with a tux as a baseball cap would. Do some people wear a ball cap in a tux? Sure. But it still looks ridiculous.

The western world has gotten noticeably more casual in the past 30 years, and this receding decorum has crept into almost every aspect of our lives. That's reality, and I get it. Just don't confuse a tool watch with a dress watch. They are different.

Of course, anyone is free to wear a tool watch anywhere they want. It's your watch and your choice. Most people won't care. Maybe you won't care - which is also totally fine. But ask yourself why you are wearing the tux to begin with. You are adhering to a social norm of what defines dressing up for an occasion. Why ignore the watch part if you are dressing up in a tux?

I appreciate the opportunity to mix up my watch wearing regimen. That's why I own so many. But I'd rather go watchless with Black Tie than wear a G-Shock or its mechanical equivalent in such a scenario.

Very well said.
Having acknowledged that, I’m hoping I can use my TT 116503 Daytona as a semi formal watch ; )

bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:14 AM   #10
Xenon
Banned

Quote:

…...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment7411YF1N.jpg (67.3 KB, 348 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:15 AM   #11
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:

Brief rebuttal:

Would hardly describe a Sub as "big and bulky"? Are you thinking of the DSSD??

How on earth is wearing a watch at or under your cuff the same as wearing a baseball cap with a tux? Zero people at an event would give you crap about the watch, unless some annoying WIS was inspecting people's wrist to make sure they had a dress watch on. 100% of people would give you crap about the cap.

Now in this scenario it's a G-shock? How is that comparable to a Rolex Sub in any way?
Old 3 July 2020, 07:25 AM   #12
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

SS DaytonaC black dial works for both sporty and classy IMO. The white dial is a little too sporty to pull off both, but still beautiful.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:28 AM   #13
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

sports watches all day everyday.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:36 AM   #14
TellingTime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Very well said.
Having acknowledged that, I’m hoping I can use my TT 116503 Daytona as a semi formal watch ; )

You can!
TellingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:53 AM   #15
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
anything goes these days, I recall when it was inappropriate to pull up in front of a fancy restaurant in a pick truck, not anymore.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:55 AM   #16
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My opinion is DD is not a dress watch. If you are only looking at Rolex, the Cellini is a dress watch.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:59 AM   #17
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
For both dressy and sporty - YM 40 Rhodium in my opinion
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:24 AM   #18
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
this!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:41 AM   #19
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I agree anything goes. Cellini is Rolex’s line that fits the traditional definition of “what is a dressy watch”. But few adhere to those definitions today.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 11:32 AM   #20
WestCoastS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Agreed..Cant wait to own one
WestCoastS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 12:17 PM   #21
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I think the Datejust is the most versatile. The DD in white gold or platinum would be a close second.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 08:48 AM   #22
j0hnny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD 16600, Ze
Quote:

Tis true.

j0hnny is offline   Reply With Quote