The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 June 2020, 04:00 AM   #1
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Vintage Water Resistance

I’ve recently had older oyster perpetuals and precisions on my mind. I’m wondering about how waterproof they would be. I know most say not to swim in vintage watches because the seals are most likely gone, but can they be replaced? I know I would have to look into the service history (if available) for the particular watch. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aggierolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 04:41 AM   #2
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
They can be serviced and are generally fine if serviced. My 83 16750 gets submerged all the time, but it is serviced fairly regularly.

I think a lot of the fears come from the risk involved on original vintage pieces. A lot of the components once damaged cannot be replaced with the same original parts, and if you can find them, there will be a huge cost involved.

As long as the seals are fresh, and the case itself doesn’t have corrosion preventing a solid seal between the rubber and metal, and the crystal is good, it’s as waterproof as when it left the factory. Age alone doesn’t reduce the water resistance as long as the watch is looked after.
Old 16 June 2020, 04:41 AM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

Seals can be changed, as can the crown and plexiglas.

Something to look out for with older watches is that case/case back pitting can occur. That can be the kiss of death for water resistance.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:08 AM   #4
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Seals can be replaced as stated above. Watchmakers have pressure testing equipment to validate water resistance, and can identify compromised points such as pitted base backs.

However, be wary who you take your watch to. If you value originality, know that official Rolex service centers can and will readily discard the original parts as they see fit, regardless of your requests. For an extreme example: I know of at least one Paul Newman Daytona sent to Rolex, but after it was serviced, it was no longer a Paul Newman! Rolex felt the dial was no longer in an acceptable state and replaced it.

If you want to maintain originality and merely replace your seals, a reputable independent watchmaker that you can communicate these needs to up front is best.

One final consideration if you’re going to be taking your piece into the water is that you should get your seals tested annually, and that compromised water resistance can still occur despite your best efforts. If you have a vintage piece and it does get water in it, it may be a bummer to have to replace the parts. I have a vintage 145.022 in the shop because its seals eroded after <5 years, and just months ago it passed a pressure test just fine. However, it’s just a normal Speedy to me, so it’s not a problem that it’s getting some new parts. If it was a special vintage watch to me, I would have been disappointed to lose the original parts.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:16 AM   #5
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
...However, be wary who you take your watch to. If you value originality, know that official Rolex service centers can and will readily discard the original parts as they see fit, regardless of your requests. For an extreme example: I know of at least one Paul Newman Daytona sent to Rolex, but after it was serviced, it was no longer a Paul Newman! Rolex felt the dial was no longer in an acceptable state and replaced it.
I’d love to see the evidence supporting this claim.

Outside of genuine misunderstandings/miscommunications or accidental damage while being repaired, I can categorically state that service centres are not in the habit of doing anything you don’t approve of and pay for.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:29 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Agree that Rolex doesn’t change anything on your watch without prior approval if the part has a price attached to it.

I’m sure some owners get new parts that can reduce a vintage watch’s value - but they were likely unaware of the value of originality over functionality. So when RSC calls to change a radius dial or bezel, the owner gives approval.

As for vintage watches and water resistance, the safe thing to say is stay away from the water. That’s a general theory based on owner propensity to not pressure test their watches and the higher value attributed to the vintage models.

In fact, a vintage watch with good surfaces can be returned to original depth rating with proper replacement of seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:44 AM   #7
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I’d love to see the evidence supporting this claim.

Outside of genuine misunderstandings/miscommunications or accidental damage while being repaired, I can categorically state that service centres are not in the habit of doing anything you don’t approve of and pay for.
Indeed, wish I had the evidence to share, as it is not the norm. Although the individual who shared this story was scathing as if it was RSC’s fault, there are two sides to every story, and it may have very well been a miscommunication.

Either way, given OP’s questions, it illustrates the importance of communicating these needs up front if originality is important!

Cheers.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 05:56 AM   #8
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Why risk it ?
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 06:42 AM   #9
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Just don't think I would ever be relaxed enough to risk vintage in water..... not when there is a more modern and safer alternative.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 06:44 AM   #10
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Just don't think I would ever be relaxed enough to risk vintage in water..... not when there is a more modern and safer alternative.
I couldn’t agree more.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 06:59 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

lol
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 07:19 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggierolex View Post
I’ve recently had older oyster perpetuals and precisions on my mind. I’m wondering about how waterproof they would be. I know most say not to swim in vintage watches because the seals are most likely gone, but can they be replaced? I know I would have to look into the service history (if available) for the particular watch. Thanks!
. Who are "most say"?

. The seals in any watch, not just vintage, should be replaced periodically.

. Yes, of course they can be replaced.

. If you are concerned you don't look into the service history; you have it serviced yourself so that you know!

Any vintage watch can be made as waterproof as it was when new. The main issue, outside of the replaceable seals and gaskets, is if there is corrosion at the sealing surfaces. These sealing surfaces need to be maintained as well as the seals.

The real issue with vintage is risk. Do you feel OK with the possibility of water damage on a potentially non-replaceable/valuable dial and movement? Any watch can fail - it doesn't need to be vintage.
Old 16 June 2020, 01:25 PM   #13
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Pepsi GMT
I swim in my 1675 regularly. Get it checked out every year or so, and it has a fresh crystal, etc. It’s my daily wear watch, never plan to sell it, and I love it so I use it.
vcnyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2020, 10:00 PM   #14
gentb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Perfect answer
gentb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2020, 12:39 AM   #15
aggierolex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Interested in that Paul Newman story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aggierolex is offline   Reply With Quote