The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2017, 03:47 AM   #1
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
The D-blue is a lot of money to sink into one SS Rolex!

I love the D-blue and along with my 116520 it is probably one of the only Rolex watches that I slightly miss owning. However, it is hard to justify dropping 12k on the D-blue when you could have your pick of almost any other TWO SS Rolex models. For that amount of money you could buy a GMT + explorer 2, a milgauss + a SUB, a datejust + a SUB, etc etc. The more I think about it the more I realize that it is a lot of money to sink into one watch especially in a small collection. I believe that the Daytona remains the only SS Rolex that I would spend that kind of coin on. What do you guys think? Quality over quantity....variety is the spice of life....buy what you like and can afford... All good opinions

Today I feel like variety is the spice of life. Tomorrow I buy another PM Rolex.

Have a nice day guys.

Josh
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:51 AM   #2
weeone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 37.5
Buy what you like and what you can afford. I'm a one watch girl so if the D-Blue was "the one", I would do it. Just my $.02.
weeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:58 PM   #3
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeone View Post
buy what you like and what you can afford. I'm a one watch girl so if the d-blue was "the one", i would do it. Just my $.02.
+1!

I'm still perfectly happy to wear my original release Deepsea. The new dial looks nice to be sure altho imho not worth the additional 3-4 grand.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:41 PM   #4
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgator View Post
+1!

I'm still perfectly happy to wear my original release Deepsea. The new dial looks nice to be sure altho imho not worth the additional 3-4 grand.
The premium between MSRP is only GBP250 or USD300, so I really don't understand where these claims of three to four grand premiums for the D-Blue come from. Even paying MSRP for the D-Blue and scoring a discount on the original doesn't equate to that much of a difference.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:41 AM   #5
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Even paying MSRP for the D-Blue and scoring a discount on the original doesn't equate to that much of a difference.
At $12k USD, with 20% off - do-able even from an AD - is $2400 for the black. Add the $300 additional MSRP for the blue, and the difference becomes $2700 assuming the AD won't discount the blue.

And that's new from AD. For the black, it's a steel model that with the right relationship that 20% discount can go up. And then the difference becomes even more on secondary market for LNIB or mint pieces where the blue hold value much closer to MSRP and the black drops even further from it's discounted price..

So from what I've seen (and I've owned 3 black and 2 blue over the years), that gap exists, at least in the US.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:51 AM   #6
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
At $12k USD, with 20% off - do-able even from an AD - is $2400 for the black. Add the $300 additional MSRP for the blue, and the difference becomes $2700 assuming the AD won't discount the blue.

And that's new from AD. For the black, it's a steel model that with the right relationship that 20% discount can go up. And then the difference becomes even more on secondary market for LNIB or mint pieces where the blue hold value much closer to MSRP and the black drops even further from it's discounted price..

So from what I've seen (and I've owned 3 black and 2 blue over the years), that gap exists, at least in the US.
This is exactly what I was saying and the only difference is a colored dial, not limited, not special and numbered, no jewels etc. just looks better IMO but tough to swallow a $2k to $3k difference in color.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:53 AM   #7
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Josh, in your realm of watches, you would not be happy with even 4 regular SS pieces... (i mean you would but, deep down inside...lol) You like special things and the D blue is one of those things...

Would you like 2 regular cars or 1 911 991.2 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Targa%20interior.jpg (107.4 KB, 1519 views)

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:55 AM   #8
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Josh, in your realm of watches, you would not be happy with even 4 regular SS pieces... (i mean you would but, deep down inside...lol) You like special things and the D blue is one of those things...

It depends. Do i get a good discount on the 911 . I do like special things you are quite right.
Old 19 January 2017, 04:28 AM   #9
sctp39
"TRF" Member

Quote:

991.2 GT3 with 3 pedals please!
sctp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:55 AM   #10
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctp39 View Post
Check. Coming and will be announced at Geneva auto show.
Old 19 January 2017, 04:59 AM   #11
japenney
"TRF" Member

Great responses guys. Hijacking my own thread. MILGUSS GV Z-blue SPOTTED ON "this hour has 22 minutes" (pause at 3:20)?? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_1NUXe-5as.
Old 19 January 2017, 11:48 AM   #12
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yup!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 12:21 PM   #13
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
It depends. Do i get a good discount on the 911 . I do like special things you are quite right.
Me too.. My 991 cabriolet has 3 pedals!
Quote:

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:21 AM   #14
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:

I agree with this...the math doesn't make sense unless you like them equally. You could buy 120 G-Shocks that are probably more accurate....not sure what that has to do with anything.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:55 AM   #15
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
What do you think about the ceramic Daytona??

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 03:56 AM   #16
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traf View Post
What do you think about the ceramic Daytona??

I think its hard to find one to buy.
Old 19 January 2017, 03:58 AM   #17
traf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think its hard to find one to buy.

But is it worthy of 2-3 sport rolex?

Old 19 January 2017, 03:59 AM   #18
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traf View Post
But is it worthy of 2-3 sport rolex?

Yes because if I don't like it I can flip it and buy 3-4 sport rolex. 😁😁😁

Sent by my pet Gekko
Old 19 January 2017, 04:02 AM   #19
traf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes because if I don't like it I can flip it and buy 3-4 sport rolex.

Sent by my pet Gekko

Or another PM

Old 19 January 2017, 03:58 AM   #20
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I think all luxury watches cost way too much. To answer your question, yes I would rather have two than one, if the two were models I loved..
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:02 AM   #21
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
I think you and I are probably too alike...positions change with the direction of the wind

I've gone from a lot of steel Rolex, to some PM watches, to AP, Patek, etc. My first AP "cost" me 3 Rolex I think.

Rolex was a good "gateway" in that I could accumulate them, then liquidate a few to buy a higher priced watch. At the time, dropping AP or Patek money straight out of the bank was beyond me. So it was a "creep" into that level of spend.

I've been all over the place over the years, and fortunately have settled on a bunch of steel...Rolex and Patek for the most part. Had the Platona, enjoyed it, but not $40-50k enjoyed, so out it went. Money better deployed elsewhere, for me.

I definitely have done the math you propose above, usually with PM in mind, or a more expensive brand. Well, do I want a Nautilus or 3-4 steel Rolex that are similar in total market cost?

Finally getting to a "settled" point where I planned to get down to 5 watches...but it may land at 6...7 if a steel coke is released...

And so it goes...but I want to be at a place where I love each one I have, not just "like" and wear each regularly. Even if money isn't a factor, I still think I land with a lot of steel in my collection over PM....could be blasphemy, but I wasn't joking when I said the 116500 (black) killed the Platona for me and made that decision to move out of the Platona fairly easy.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:02 AM   #22
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
D-Blue is going to be a special watch 30 years from now. I personally cant wear it as its to big but if you can do it. GO for it.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:23 AM   #23
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
My philosophy for a perfect world is all or nothing.
When I was younger, variety is the name of the game. It's natural to want everything like in a sandwich, on watches it's more to do with budget, PM is simply out of range.

I can do with one eventually, but it's has to be the top bling like the platona or 116618LB / 116718LN, something that needs to be spotted from a mile out and wear the hell out of it, the back up watch will be not wearing a watch. I enjoy asking for time in different languages.

But before I'm at that stage, I'm playing the field. Therefore not being one watch loyal is limited to my financial ability of the moment.

On an earlier post, I'm for a 911GTS (any colour not black) one car with backup an Uber.
Old 19 January 2017, 04:33 AM   #24
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
My philosophy for a perfect world is all or nothing.
When I was younger, variety is the name of the game. It's natural to want everything like in a sandwich, on watches it's more to do with budget, PM is simply out of range.

I can do with one eventually, but it's has to be the top bling like the platona or 116618LB / 116718LN, something that needs to be spotted from a mile out and wear the hell out of it, the back up watch will be not wearing a watch. I enjoy asking for time in different languages.

But before I'm at that stage, I'm playing the field. Therefore not being one watch loyal is limited to my financial ability of the moment.

On an earlier post, I'm for a 911GTS (any colour not black) one car with backup an Uber.
I did much the same, played the field, but now I would consolidate down to quality and have a few that I really love as opposed to many I like.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:26 AM   #25
Goin2drt
Banned

It is bigger and has more metal. Well worth the premium
Old 19 January 2017, 04:29 AM   #26
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
Quote:
I love the D-blue and along with my 116520 it is probably one of the only Rolex watches that I slightly miss owning. However, it is hard to justify dropping 12k on the D-blue when you could have your pick of almost any other TWO SS Rolex models. For that amount of money you could buy a GMT + explorer 2, a milgauss + a SUB, a datejust + a SUB, etc etc. The more I think about it the more I realize that it is a lot of money to sink into one watch especially in a small collection. I believe that the Daytona remains the only SS Rolex that I would spend that kind of coin on. What do you guys think? Quality over quantity....variety is the spice of life....buy what you like and can afford... All good opinions

Today I feel like variety is the spice of life. Tomorrow I buy another PM Rolex.

Have a nice day guys.

Josh
Josh, you answer your own question when you reason that you would spend that kind of money on a SS Daytona.
I could of started a thread on 'how can you spend so much money on a SS Daytona, etc, and then tell you I would only spend that kind of money on a D-blue. Bottom line, its whatever you like,
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:30 AM   #27
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Just be glad you're not in UK, they are very hard to find and all used ones are priced at least at a £1K premium.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 04:42 AM   #28
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:

Have a nice day guys.

Josh
I was looking at the deep blue a few weeks ago, great looking watch but at almost 12k I just don't see it to be honest for the same price I can get a AP 15710 diver new with 20% discount and to be honest I just couldn't bring myself to pay 12k for any current ss Rolex sports watch
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 05:37 AM   #29
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGMT View Post
I was looking at the deep blue a few weeks ago, great looking watch but at almost 12k I just don't see it to be honest for the same price I can get a AP 15710 diver new with 20% discount and to be honest I just couldn't bring myself to pay 12k for any current ss Rolex sports watch
really? whats the msrp of an AP diver in scotland???

in the USA and Canada its not even close even after the 20% discount....scotland must have special low AP prices
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 07:09 PM   #30
MrGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
really? whats the msrp of an AP diver in scotland???

in the USA and Canada its not even close even after the 20% discount....scotland must have special low AP prices
£15400 few sellers on chrono24 have them for £12000 and the deep blue is £11500 £12000 in uk and I really don't see that watch being worth double the other ss sports rolexs in 10-20 years it only a small portion of Rolex owners who actually like them, so when the hype dies down in a few years time there going south fast IMO
MrGMT is offline   Reply With Quote