The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 October 2023, 04:32 AM   #1
anime27
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Need some info about this model

Hello,

I have a vintage Rolex women’s oyster precision. The movement in the back is 15 rubies.

The case had a model number 5005. Can anyone fill me in on what this model is supposed to look like? Is the movement correct or replaced? How do I find out if the dial was changed or not and if the bracelet was changed. Also what the size is the crown supposed to be?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anime27
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Picswatch.jpeg (283.5 KB, 130 views)
anime27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 05:39 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

A lot of research would be required to answer all of your questions with certainly, and you should probably take personal responsibility for doing that. Try using google images to search for other examples of the reference 5005 and keep good records of everything you find. With enough examples, you will probably figure out what is correct vs. incorrect. But just looking at the photos, I don't have any major concerns except possibly the crown/tube.

Regarding the crown, it's obviously not screwed down all the way, but I don't know if that's a problem (e.g. wrong crown and/or tube), or if someone just failed to screw it in before taking photos. If you can share the case serial number and a straight-on view of the crown (showing any logo and/or engraving), someone might be able to check the crown for you.
Old 24 October 2023, 05:56 AM   #3
CTech
"TRF" Member

As Dan said, it looks good at first glance. It is a fairly common late 1940s/early 1950s manual wind watch and so you will find quite a few photos of similar models from previous sales, etc for comparison.

Here is a link to a virtually identical watch with the same style of dial, hands, bezel and riveted bracelet, but unfortunately no photos of the inside of the case back or movement:

https://marketplace.watchcharts.com/...rivet-bracelet
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 07:32 AM   #4
anime27
"TRF" Member

Thank you

Thank you for your speedy reply! I really appreciate the input.
I browsed various search terms that may show similar models and I did find them however my major challenge is I cannot find any similar to this; the ones I have found have different dials, with oyster perpetual on the dial, Roman numberals on the dial, and bracelets are varied as well. So for this particular model, I am having difficulty finding a reference point.

Would you be knowing of any database where models are well documented with examples?

With regards to the crown, it is unscrewed at the moment; it screws in but after showing it to some experienced people, I have been told that the crown may not be for this particular model; it looks much bigger. The crown has on its face the Rolex crown and that is it.

I am contemplating whether it would be worth it to send this to Rolex for adding a crown and for some oiling, if the crown is incorrect. But it definitely needs some TLC. As it stands, sending it for this work may be about $600 or selling it as I have some interested buyers. Not sure what’s a good informed decision. Also how do I estimate a price point for it to determine whether or not I should send it to Rolex?

Thank you ,
Anime27
anime27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 08:15 AM   #5
CTech
"TRF" Member

The 5005 is a manual wind watch and so if you are finding examples with Perpetual on the dial then you can be sure they have an incorrect dial.

The correct dial should say Rolex Oyster at the top and Precision underneath, exactly as yours.

As far as I know, there is no database showing all the different movement, dial, hand and bezel combinations for this, or any other similar, model.

Dan's suggestion of looking at as many examples as you can find and making detailed notes of the important features is the best advice you will get about sorting out what is genuine and what might have been replaced.

All we know at the moment is that the case back is stamped 5005, but you might also find the model number stamped into the case between the lugs. Depending on the age of the watch, the serial number might also be stamped on the case between the opposite lugs. These numbers will confirm that we are looking at a 5005 model watch and will also give a rough manufacturing date.

The last thing that is relatively easy is to post detailed photos of the bracelet clasp markings including the inscription on the clasp blades, any date code, etc.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 10:08 AM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
If you look like you say you have you can literally find one like that in no time, Type in 5005 on Google. Maybe if you don’t want the hassle of servicing it just sell it only you can decide it’s value
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2023, 03:06 AM   #7
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

7 3/4 line 7 3/4 H calibre 410

Hand wind. Wrong crown. Likely a service dial. Rolex won't touch that watch. Don't bother.

Can you get the serial number from between the lugs?

Band is incorrect as well most likely. They wouldn't have used flush fit ends when that was made.

Ask any specific questions you like. I'll do my best to answer.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote