The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 December 2023, 08:27 PM   #91
shafran
"TRF" Member

I had the same experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchcollectornyc View Post
I've been reluctant to talk about my time spent with the New York City boutique, but I believe it's worth sharing. My story began when I was living near the Madison Avenue boutique, prior to their relocation. Every so often, I'd pop in for a quick visit.

Summer 2020 marked a significant turning point. Just before the wave of that season's auctions that threw a spotlight on the brand, I decided it was the right moment to make my first purchase. My enthusiasm for the brand had been kindled over years of visiting their boutiques, making the purchase an especially exciting moment for me. I was fortunate enough to find the exact watch I had my eye on in stock, and so, I made my purchase.

Unlike the experiences shared by others, there were no gifts or tokens of appreciation (wine, whiskey, accessories, etc) . In any case, I shrugged this off as insignificant. Also, due to the COVID pandemic, all monthly events had been suspended. In the meantime, I maintained contact with my Sales Associate and visited the store every couple of months. We had already started discussing other watches on my wishlist (RQ, CO, etc.), and the boutique seemed optimistic about acquiring them over the next couple of years. I was asked several times about my wishlist with me having in writing them suggesting an RQ was a realistic watch to be delivered the next year.

In due time, in-person events were reinstated, and I eagerly attended any that I was invited to. These occasions allowed me to network with like-minded individuals, many of whom I am still in touch with today. About a year later, I was thrilled to receive an invitation to a Madison boutique event, where the man behind the brand, FP himself, was set to make an appearance.

However, upon my arrival, I discovered that there had been an exclusive event the previous evening. This had been the occasion to inaugurate their new Soho location, a groundbreaking celebration, attended by VIPs, esteemed clients, and other friends of the brand. The event I was attending, on the other hand, appeared to be more for those on the interest list - a fact that many in this thread have pointed out. Although puzzled, I decided to enjoy the evening without dwelling on it.

Then, the invitations abruptly stopped. Later, I discovered that my SA had left the boutique and, oddly, no one had taken over my account. After reaching out to the boutique manager, who I'd met on a few occasions, we had a pleasant phone conversation about an updated watch I was interested in. To my surprise, he told me it would take a few more years to get it, even though it had already been two years since my first purchase, and several of the watches I was queued for had yet to materialize. It was as though he was treating me as a new customer instead of an existing one, and my previous purchase was made directly with him. We agreed to keep in touch and ended the call.

A few months later, an invitation for the grand opening of the Soho boutique arrived in my inbox. I promptly RSVPed, only to receive a disappointing response two days later informing me that they were at capacity and could not accommodate me. A friend of mine received the same email, leaving us both somewhat annoyed.

Since then, I've come to the realization that they no longer value me as a customer. This prompted my shift towards Patek Philippe, where I have since amassed a collection I'm thrilled with and acquired all the watches I've ever desired. I'm still puzzled by the treatment I received from FPJ, especially considering that I was a local customer who had supported and bought from the brand prior to their rise in popularity. It's unfortunate that after my SA left, I felt excluded and sidelined. In the end, this situation pushed me towards PP - a journey that has proved incredibly rewarding.

As of now, I've stopped visiting FPJ boutiques. It's become clear that they are seeking a specific kind of collector or perhaps investor. I often wonder if others have had similar treatment from this boutique. I know the staff has been turned over quite extensively over the past year or two.
Actually, I was at that same event and found out ablut the private event that night. Met FP, he wasn't the friendliest. I wore my cs but that was not enough at the time. Since then my invites stopped and whatever interest they had in me disapeared.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 08:29 PM   #92
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
This isn’t Patek, kids. They want patience. Engagement. Community. Real conversation. It’s old school—a real club of sorts.
I remember the crono bleu selling BNIB from greys for 18-20k usd and they weren't popular at all. Watches were easily available from the boutiques as well.

So how come all of a sudden a brand expects engagement and all the other requirements you just listed? If you work for Journe that kind of stuff has to be so so so so tiresome so keep track of. I also can't imagine anyone reading a whole essay, who has time or the brainpower for that? They are toying with people.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 09:14 PM   #93
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I think people have to stop taking it so personally. They didn’t suddenly lose interest In YOu. There’s just more people spending more money that are ahead of the que. That’s not a new concept is it? It’s a luxury time piece we’re talking about and not something we all are entitled to. It’s just the way the world works, surely people understand that.

And before people think I’m being a d*** I’ve spent about 350k UsD at Journe and have never ever been invited to a single event, never met FPj either. Never received a discount nor any special deals. I ust turn up, buy the watch and leave. I couldn’t care less if Journe is an unfriendly tw*t. I just like his watches that’s it.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2023, 11:24 PM   #94
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

FP Journe Waitlist

They manufacture 800 units per year.

Let that sink in.

Supply versus demand.

I don’t think the amount of money you spend with Journe matters as much as your intent and time spent. The buying experience is different than all the majors. They control the means of distribution and the supply.

When I see stories like the one that was out recently in YT about François-Paul’s behavior at a dinner party I kind of chuckle to myself. Like this brand has enough clout to start a rumor mill.

Last edited by jessiethe3rd; 22 December 2023 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Add more detail
jessiethe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 01:57 AM   #95
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Patek production is over 55k per year, according to several people in the industry I've spoken to.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 01:57 AM   #96
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
If you were new to Patek, how come those watches did come easily?
Bundling?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 04:53 AM   #97
vliberman
"TRF" Member

It is a feature of every independent these days. Having money is not enough. Nothing wrong with that. Times will change, that would be opportunity for these who could not get watches this cycle. Most people who go for Journe have plenty of watches to enjoy, do that in the meantime…
vliberman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 05:08 AM   #98
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
It is a feature of every independent these days. Having money is not enough. Nothing wrong with that. Times will change, that would be opportunity for these who could not get watches this cycle. Most people who go for Journe have plenty of watches to enjoy, do that in the meantime…
So true. Tried to chase a Simon Brette or Rexhepi and it seems like it is 100x more difficult. Most of us will need a very good referral and be able to meet the watch maker in person. It is probably a lot harder to visit Geneva regularly for most of us in the US. At least visiting a "local" FPJ boutique is a lot easier.

Agree with another member that Voutilainen is more straight forward to deal with. But extreme patience is needed. :-)
Old 23 December 2023, 05:41 AM   #99
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That’s the problem with Journe they don’t want my money they want my time and that’s far more valuable.

Regardless I allocated myself two FPJ this year without the help of the boutique staff lol I’ll keep my time thanks.
Old 23 December 2023, 05:45 AM   #100
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
That’s the problem with Journe they don’t want my money they want my time and that’s far more valuable.

Regardless I allocated myself two FPJ this year without the help of the boutique staff lol I’ll keep my time thanks.
What magic did you perform to get two allocations without the boutique staff?
Old 23 December 2023, 07:09 AM   #101
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I bought them on secondary. I did not say I had two allocations but rather I allocated two Journes to myself
Old 23 December 2023, 07:09 AM   #102
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
I think he's inferring to buy in the second hand market. I agree with this as well and did the same as my time is far more valuable than trying to buy my way into the family.
Old 23 December 2023, 07:12 AM   #103
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I bought them on secondary. I did not say I had two allocations but rather I allocated two Journes to myself

The magic of $$$

I personally actually enjoy the trip to the boutique every 1-2 month even though it involves a plane trip. It was fun to chat watches and most of the time I would run into some whale class collectors. They always have some amazing pieces to show.
Old 23 December 2023, 04:27 PM   #104
dakkonmc
"TRF" Member

Reading all these posts really makes me appreciate getting an allocation within 18 months.

The probability of getting a CO anytime in the near future is extremely unlikely based on all the stories. I think it may be easier to get one in the secondary market. About 6 months ago, I was offered a 40 mm older Co in Platinum for 15K over MSRP from a reputable seller.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
dakkonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2023, 08:55 PM   #105
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The magic of $$$

I personally actually enjoy the trip to the boutique every 1-2 month even though it involves a plane trip. It was fun to chat watches and most of the time I would run into some whale class collectors. They always have some amazing pieces to show.

I feel the same way about the experience. You meet fantastic collectors and see extraordinary watches. Maybe you pick up a book. You learn something new. Pick up a new strap at the boutique. Share a glass of wine with another collector. Enjoy learning about others' journeys. Get to know some of the
boutique team. Maybe François-Paul himself, if you are lucky. One’s journey with FP Journe.

I acquired my CB from the boutique because of my budget, and at the time, retail was what I could afford. Now, yes, with the CO, I can buy it on the secondary market. But would I appreciate the watch? Would I learn as much as I have by waiting? Will I love the piece as much?

Yes, there’s some human nature at play here in the pursuit of an FP Journe piece. I am enjoying the process. The opportunity to learn from others. The humility of desire. It's a process
that may be less accessible for many. Attention is not cheap. In this age of YouTube and Instagram, many grow frustrated with FP Journe. Many may be just too poor to pay the attention necessary. That’s fine. I’d prefer they didn’t clog the allotment. Prices on the secondary drive up the value of the brand.

Indeed, cash is king and time is truly divine.
Old 23 December 2023, 09:09 PM   #106
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post
I feel the same way about the experience. You meet fantastic collectors and see extraordinary watches. Maybe you pick up a book. You learn something new. Pick up a new strap at the boutique. Share a glass of wine with another collector. Enjoy learning about others' journeys. Get to know some of the
boutique team. Maybe François-Paul himself, if you are lucky. One’s journey with FP Journe.

I acquired my CB from the boutique because of my budget, and at the time, retail was what I could afford. Now, yes, with the CO, I can buy it on the secondary market. But would I appreciate the watch? Would I learn as much as I have by waiting? Will I love the piece as much?

Yes, there’s some human nature at play here in the pursuit of an FP Journe piece. I am enjoying the process. The opportunity to learn from others. The humility of desire. It's a process
that may be less accessible for many. Attention is not cheap. In this age of YouTube and Instagram, many grow frustrated with FP Journe. Many may be just too poor to pay the attention necessary. That’s fine. I’d prefer they didn’t clog the allotment. Prices on the secondary drive up the value of the brand.

Indeed, cash is king and time is truly divine.
100% Well said!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:08 AM   #107
akazzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBHR View Post
The Dubai mall boutique refused to take my name for anything, even when I said I will pay deposit, not sure why they have a boutique then. He said they have 3,000 plus on there list.
Dubai Mall SA made it clear they aren't taking any more names for CB. But they requested me to put my name down for a Havana if I was interested.

This was in Mar 2024.
akazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:10 AM   #108
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akazzz View Post
Dubai Mall SA made it clear they aren't taking any more names for CB. But they requested me to put my name down for a Havana if I was interested.

This was in Mar 2024.

Let me tell you. Im on the list for the elegante for 4 years. Nothing. Let alone thr havana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 03:18 AM   #109
arolexguy
"TRF" Member

Waiting for a DN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arolexguy is online now   Reply With Quote