The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2010, 02:33 PM   #121
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
While the Rolex is certainly expensive, other quality watches have gone up in price. Even Tag has watches in the 5-6,000 range. The key factor is Rolex quality- there really is a difference. I find accuracy, legibility, comfort, balance, and style superior to any other watch I own. I was just looking at a 5,000 IWC and was not impressed with the weight and feel. Plus, there was no micro-adjustment available on the bracelet.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:53 PM   #122
URDOC

Watch: TT Sub Serti Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadadnan View Post
Very interesting read. I just want to say that I had not heard much about Rolex until recently. So when I needed a watch I was in the mindset that I want to buy what suits my lifestyle (classy tech), looks good on me and lastly was a good brand. I didn't have any childhood fantasies of buying a Rolex or had to prove to anyone that I own a Rolex. Most people around me don't even know what a Rolex costs or if it is any different than a Seiko.

After my watch search, the only watch that really looked good on me was the Rolex Sub. It just fit beautifully and looked elegant and classy without being too flashy. And I didnt need to worry about build quality or problems with Rolex. Even the other Rolexes didnt suit me as good as the Sub. But when I found out the price, I was shocked! It took me time some time to think about it. But I just knew it that any other watch would not look as good and make me happy.

Now I am a happy owner of a Sub and hope to enjoy it for a long time without any regrets. The worst feeling is buying something and then always regretting that you should have gotten the better one. Thankfully, I wont have to live with that! I think it is totally worth it!
X2: great post!
URDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:58 PM   #123
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
I tried the whole quantity over quality thing and it DOES NOT work for me.

As long as it's not too out of reach, they are worth it to me.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:14 PM   #124
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

If your mind is set on a Rolex, nothing else will do and it's worth it.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:15 PM   #125
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
If your mind is set on a Rolex, nothing else will do and it's worth it.
+1 Dude
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:38 PM   #126
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
All depends on your priorities. For me, it is the biggest luxury I have. I rent modest accommodation, I don't have - nor want - a vehicle, don't make a lot of money, and some of the money for my watches comes out of my pension fund. Some say that I should keep the whole fund till I retire, but I like my work, so that may never happen.
I don't know what put me off getting a Rolex for so long. Until a few months ago, I knew very little about them. When the Milgauss came out in 2007, that did intrigue me, though. Now I own one. I have had numerous Breitlings, and have four Omegas. I still crave the Rolex when I am wearing the others. There is just something about the feel, the texture, the build quality, and the total luxurious feeling that you have to try for yourself to see. Not to mention the mechanical innovations in the watch. The price of many of the models is about the same - and sometimes less - than other brands like Breitling and Omega charge for their new inhouse movements. Remember, all of Rolex movements are inhouse.
Value for a classic and quality watch that refuses to be trendy.
Cheers,
Carl
Old 12 January 2010, 04:32 PM   #127
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Yes, si, oui, ja......& as the Beatles sang....yeah, yeah, yeah.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 10:21 PM   #128
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
About 5 years ago I too debated the value of the Rolex, and sold a 16610 Sub to fund the purchase of a few Omega watches. Well, I ended up selling all the Omegas and getting back the 16610. Now I have three Rollies in the stable. I have never purchased a Rolex new, and have always done very well on purchase price and resale. IMO buying new doesn't make sense unless money is falling out of your pockets.

I guess for me the pre-owned Rolex is where the value is. I paid $3500 for a LNIB Sub Date back in 2005 and could probably sell it for $3500 today. If I had bought new, well we all know how that story goes.

1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 12:01 AM   #129
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

If you want and can, then do.
If you want and can't, then don't.
If you don't want and can, you won't.
If you don't want and can't, it will never cross your mind!
I do not offer or provide any Rolex investment advice or opinion regarding the nature, potential, value, suitability or profitability of any particular watch, collections of watches, transaction or investment watch collecting strategy, and you shall be fully responsible for any watch decisions you make, and such decisions will be based solely on your evaluation of your financial circumstances, watch objectives, risk tolerance, and what looks good in yoru opinion on your wrist.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 12:03 AM   #130
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
They are worth every penny!!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 12:14 AM   #131
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I would rather have one or two very nice things than a bunch of lesser quality stuff. I am more of a quality vs. quantity kind of guy.
THIS
I would rather have one or two Rolex watches than 30 or 100 lesser quality watches.

I apply this to all I do in life. I would rather pay more up front for a better item, be it a television, or a firearm and have the best there is and enjoy it. I have never regretted buying the very best of anything that I could afford in my life.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 04:46 AM   #132
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
THIS
I would rather have one or two Rolex watches than 30 or 100 lesser quality watches.

I apply this to all I do in life. I would rather pay more up front for a better item, be it a television, or a firearm and have the best there is and enjoy it. I have never regretted buying the very best of anything that I could afford in my life.
Amen!

1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 06:04 AM   #133
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPete View Post
Amen!
& so say I too Brothers!!

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 06:11 AM   #134
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
THIS

JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 06:29 AM   #135
rmcarlton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
its worth the price if you can afford it. if you have to get yourself into debt by getting a loan or on credit...then no.
rmcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 03:53 PM   #136
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
After reading this thread I am quite amused.

Of course it is all what is worth to YOU.

However, I keep seeing people saying "quality over quantity" in regards to why Rolex is superior, to aformentioned brands such as Omega and Breitling.

Have these members actually read the quality specifications for the original Omega Speedmaster?

Here is some of NASA's criteria to refresh some of the forum members' memories to eliminate some of the ignorance in this thread.

1. Vacuum testing
The chronograph shall be subjected to a vacuum of 1x10^-6 Torr or better for a total of 72 hours. During the first 10 hours of testing the temperature of the items shall be increased to 160 (+/-10) degrees F. The temperature shall then be returned to 78 (+/-10) degrees F for the remainder of the test.

2. Oxygen Atmosphere/Temperature Test
The test items shall be placed in atmosphere of 95 +/-5 percent oxygen at a pressure of 5+/-0.1 psia and a temperature of 155 +/-5 degrees F for 72 hours. Gas samples extracted from the chamber area shall be analyzed for organic and CO content per test number 6 of D-NA-0002.

3. Low Temperature
The test items shall be lowered to 0 +/- 5 degrees F. This temperature shall be maintained for 10 +/-0.5 hours. The test items shall be allowed to return to ambient before functional testing.

4. Acceleration
The test items shall be subjected to 20's +/- 2 g's in each direction of the three (3) perpendicular axes.

5. Random Vibration
The test items shall be installed in a fixture and submitted to 7.8 g's RMS for 5 +/-0.1 minutes, as defined in figure 2 in each of 3 axes. The test fixture with the test items shall then be submitted to 3.2 g's for 12 +/-0.1 minutes as defined in figure 1, in each of the 3 axes [Eds. Note: Figures not provided].

6. EMI Test
The test items shall be subjected to all applicable requirements of Mil-STD-461A, if an electromechanical movement is employed.

7. Humidity Testing
The test items shall be submitted to a humidity test per MIL-STD-810B, Method 507, Procedure I, except minimum temperature shall be 68 deg F and maximum temperature shall be 120 deg F.

Rolex's submission to NASA failed btw.

And if quality and desiring "the best" was TRULEY their motive, not the brand name and marketing, than these members would be saving for a Jaeger.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 04:10 PM   #137
Raven

Although I wouldn't dispute that Rolex is worth every penny, I agree with the last poster where you shouldn't consider Breitling and Omega less quality brands. Not to mention others like IWC, Patek, AP, Hublot, etc
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 04:20 PM   #138
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I have a friend who for the past 25 years repairs watches and clocks, and is employed by the Rolex AD in the city he lives in. He has told me that in his view, Rolex is definitely worth the price if you look purely at the intellectual capital that has been invested in the quality of the case and robustness of the movement.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 04:22 PM   #139
2005rivers

Watch: GMT Master IIc
When you buy a Rolex you pay for prestige, it is a status symbol. They are well made watches but you are not buying a watch you are buying a Rolex, well worth it to me.
2005rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 07:41 AM   #140
els4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wimbledon DJ
I guess it's "worth it" if the individual owner thinks it is. I think my 16610 that I purchased new in 1997 is worth the money I spent on it (it will go to my son very soon). I also think the Speedmaster Pro I just purchased 2 weeks ago is worth the money I spent on it. Having said that, I do think I got more for my money with the Speedmaster.
els4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 08:57 AM   #141
WJGESQ
Banned

Your spot on. 7k is far too much for these stainless steel.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 11:00 AM   #142
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-R View Post
For me, buying Rolex is just like buying Ferrari. I buy for the brand and quality.
Some much cheaper car like Nissan GTR can be faster than Ferrari. But, still, it is a Ferrari.
If there are Nissan GTR and Ferrari park together on a carpark, I am quiet sure people will
pay more attention to Ferrari rather than GTR, unless they are cars modificator.
This also applied to Rolex IMO
x2
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 02:17 PM   #143
aleiberman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Like others, I started with Omega's, Tags, Seiko's, etc, but was never satisfied until I started buying Rolex. I now wish I never wasted my money on anything but. However, I also think having other luxury watches prior to owning a Rolex, helps somoene appreciate them even more.
aleiberman is offline   Reply With Quote