The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 16 May 2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Watch: 67' Zodiac Seawolf
Eterna Kon Tiki Date

ETERNA KON TIKI DATE

Reference:
Case: Polished and brushed stainless steel
Dial: Black with embossed Raroia atoll structure
Hour markers:White luminous on rhodium-plated index
Strap: Polished and brushed stainless steel
Clasp: Folding clasp
Movement: Sellita Calibre SW 200

Movement Type: Self-winding
Displays: h, min, s and date
Power Reserve: 38 h

Frequency: 28,800 v.p.h.
Jewels: 26
Ball Bearing: 1
Case Diameter: 42 mm
Case Height: 12.35 mm
Water Resistance: 200 m
Crystal: Scratch-resistant, anti-reflective sapphire crystal

Case Back: Screw-fitted with KonTiki medallion
Crown: Screw-down

Purchased the watch from Iguana Sell over the net. They are an Eterna AD.

1st Impressions, I was pleasantly surprised that the bracelet was long enough to fit my 8” wrist, in fact I had to take it to my jeweler to have a couple of links removed. The screw in links are a bitch!

The watch now fits my wrist perfectly. The watch came in a solid wood presentation box (Impressive!) enclosed with warranty card and book, and instruction manual.

Fit and finish is right up their with my 16610 Sub, and the solid link bracelet is superior in every way to the 16610. The clasp is cut from a solid block of stainless steel and it almost as sturdy and solid as the Rolex clasps on their new subs, only lacking the glide-lock micro adjustment feature.

At 42mm the watch looks to be all dial when compared to my 42mm Steinhart, since it has no timing bezel.

The dial is clear, clean and crisp, although the center impressed depiction of the Raroia reef is observable only at certain angles and lighting., but that’s ok, the overall look is outstanding,

The watch is super comfortable and looks sporty and classy all at the same time, sort of in an Aqua Terra manner. I was interested in the Aqua Terra a year or so back,, specifically the Skyfall model, but found the case was too thick with the 8500 movement and I took a pass. This one fits perfect.

The lume is impressive, the triangle 12, 3, 6 and 9 markers light up to back light the rhodium Arabic numerals.

Case back is an impressive engraving of Thor Heyerdahl’s Kon Tiki raft.

Being as sharp a looker, super comfortable and 200m WR, this watch will get a lot more wrist time then the Sinn U1 I flipped for it. This watch has the build quality of higher end watches, the only thing that holds it back from being higher class then it is, is the pedestrian movement., a Selllita SW200-1

Now if it runs as good as it looks, I will be a happy geezer.

Charles Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2015, 11:04 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Nice one Charles.
Was interested in that version myself, initially, but because of the date window, I now prefer the 4-hand version.
Bracelet looks to be top notch, and practically identical to that fitted on the more expensive Ulysee Nardin Max Marines.
Don't fret about the Sellitta, it's every bit as good/reliable as the ETA it's cloned from, albeit with an extra jewel.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2015, 06:35 AM   #3
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Nice one Charles.
Was interested in that version myself, initially, but because of the date window, I now prefer the 4-hand version.
Bracelet looks to be top notch, and practically identical to that fitted on the more expensive Ulysee Nardin Max Marines.
Don't fret about the Sellitta, it's every bit as good/reliable as the ETA it's cloned from, albeit with an extra jewel.
I'm not fretting about the Sellita, after owning several 2824-2s and several Sellitas, I find the Sellita to be a more accurate movement, probably due to the thicker, more robust proprietary mainspring they use over the ETAs.

As for the date window, I think they managed to do the impossible, place a date window on the watch, that is unobtrusive, yet still easy to read.

I need date windows on my watches, it is a must for me, I would have purchased a Rolex Explorer 39mm years ago, except for it's lack of a date window, love that watch but for that.

I too was interested in the Kon Tiki 4 hand, but couldn't find the 42mm cased one, all they have that I could find are the Xl models with the 44mm case, that's too big for my tastes, but it is a sweet looking watch, love the hands and vintage looking light green lume.
Old 17 May 2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Charles Ford
"TRF" Member

UPDATE: Had the watch now for almost 24 hrs. It is running so far at +4 out of the box, so I am a happy camper!

I did last night something I never do, I wore the watch to bed with me. Went to bed at 11:pm, woke up to roll over right around 5:am and checked the time, the lume was glowing like they were chemical "Light Sticks", very impressive indeed!

The reason I wore the watch to bed was the bracelet is so comfortable, I thought I would give it a try.

The clasp (a solid block of Stainless steel) on the bracelet is a thing of beauty and the main reason for the comfort. Most folding clasps have some sort of overhang where the fold is located. This clasp managed to eliminate that completely.

I am still amazed at the fit and finish of this watch, it is comparable to watches costing $4k to $7K, and this watch cost me just short of $1,600.

This brand is a well kept secret. Iguanasell.com where I purchased the watch, is a solid Eterna AD and a breeze to deal with. They also are the ADs for several other brands, including Glycine.

Old 18 May 2015, 08:39 PM   #5
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Nice review. I agree about the date window-- nicely done.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 03:27 AM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Nice looking watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2016, 11:40 AM   #7
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Great watch with history. I don't think you could go wrong with it. I am looking for one myself
Old 20 May 2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice, congrats
Old 24 May 2016, 10:16 PM   #9
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Eterna is a lovely watch and a famous brand but yes odd that it's fitted with a Selitta rather than an ETA given the brand history, but not a big deal either.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote