The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 7 October 2023, 04:09 AM   #1
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

Watch: '17 Subb 116610LN
“wristonly” just ripped me off for $11,500!

I so very foolishly wired the money to him after I checked his references, but now I realize he had fake emails and sent references from those fake emails. I feel like such an idiot. Is my money gone forever? I wired it to him, to a “Susan Ann Townley.” Says his name is :

Justice Townley

Has anyone *real* had * real * dealings w him?
ajshiner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 05:26 AM   #2
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Sorry to hear, hate to read these posts. Im sure you'll be more cautious in the future. Scumbags everywhere nowadays.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 05:34 AM   #3
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

I let FOMO blind me to the red flags.
This utter scumbag even made innocuous posts herefrom two years ago, probably setting himself up to look legit. And I fell for it!
Old 7 October 2023, 06:10 AM   #4
dimitris77
"TRF" Member

Dude you need to:

1. Call your bank ask for a recall
2. Call his bank and ask to put the wire on hold
3. Call your police department
4. Open a case with FBI IC3

I fell for this last week and just got my money back. You need to act before the account is drained.
dimitris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 06:39 AM   #5
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I only deal with 5-7 known amazing undeniably great sellers. Oh, and the occasional AD. That’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 07:07 AM   #6
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

“wristonly” just ripped me off for $11,500!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshiner69 View Post
I so very foolishly wired the money to him after I checked his references, but now I realize he had fake emails and sent references from those fake emails. I feel like such an idiot. Is my money gone forever? I wired it to him, to a “Susan Ann Townley.” Says his name is :

Justice Townley

Call bank immediately to see if you can stop/reverse the wire due to fraud. You may have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 07:09 AM   #7
ajshiner69
"TRF" Member

Wire transfer was done on 9/29/23, and I listened to his BS about getting watch ready for shipment yada yada yada. I wonder if I still have a chance.
Old 7 October 2023, 07:41 PM   #8
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wire transfer was done on 9/29/23, and I listened to his BS about getting watch ready for shipment yada yada yada. I wonder if I still have a chance.
The longer you wait to contact your bank the less chance you have of getting your money back. Stop typing and pick up the phone.
digitalcrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 10:11 PM   #9
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I’m sorry to hear. These scammers are getting more and more elaborate - They “sit” on profiles and are even starting to point to references that belong to other people such as “look here with X username”

If you’ve wired the money, it is gone.
Old 7 October 2023, 10:13 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry to hear. Hope you somehow are made whole.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2023, 05:27 PM   #11
tike71
"TRF" Member

I would find out how to get a hold of Susan Ann Townley. She could be a victim of a romance scam and maybe forwarding that money to her "lover."
Old 11 October 2023, 02:35 AM   #12
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Sorry to hear this.
I can’t believe how many people wire money to complete strangers in a different location with their fingers crossed hoping to buy private watches.
I will only buy private using a platform like PayPal invoice (not friends & family), eBay, or even face to face at a secure location.
I’d rather miss out on a deal because I’m trying to do my homework instead of the worst case.
Ultimately, if I can’t have some level of protection I don’t need to do a deal.
Hope things work out for you OP!
Old 11 October 2023, 03:17 AM   #13
twinturb089
"TRF" Member

Watch: day date 40
A fool and his money have been parted. I also cannot believe people still fall for this shit. I sold a older g wagon and a lamborghini gallardo on ebay and both buyers wired me the money, no questions asked! I even tried calling them on the cell phones they were texting me from and neither buyer would pick up. ( texted me back instant that they were in a meeting or in a plane......) Lucky for them i am a legit seller and they got what they paid for. But cannot understand the lack of assurance when wiring large funds. A plane ticket is cheap nowadays. Before i wire joe blow 40g, i ll fly there look at it in person and pay cash or go to the bank and wire it. crazy times for sure
twinturb089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2023, 04:17 AM   #14
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturb089 View Post
A fool and his money have been parted. I also cannot believe people still fall for this shit. I sold a older g wagon and a lamborghini gallardo on ebay and both buyers wired me the money, no questions asked! I even tried calling them on the cell phones they were texting me from and neither buyer would pick up. ( texted me back instant that they were in a meeting or in a plane......) Lucky for them i am a legit seller and they got what they paid for. But cannot understand the lack of assurance when wiring large funds. A plane ticket is cheap nowadays. Before i wire joe blow 40g, i ll fly there look at it in person and pay cash or go to the bank and wire it. crazy times for sure
People do this all the time nowadays, and the vast majority of transactions go smoothly. I have sold and bought watches this way well into 5 figure territory but I agree, one should do some background checks before proceeding. My point is that it's quite normal and these types of transactions happen every day.
Sorry OP, I hope you will get your money back.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 07:35 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I agree with a lot above. Most watch transactions go very smoothly. You just hit a bad egg. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 02:24 PM   #16
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
sorry to hear it. happened to me as well, albeit with a different scumbag thief, almost a year ago. i still can't believe i allowed myself to be had in such a fashion, i'm sure you can relate.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 06:48 PM   #17
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Justice Townley

i have not but Can you post more details here about this person? What city was he in? what is the bank info? Etc?
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2023, 02:58 PM   #18
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

If a sender legitimately sends a bank wire, it cannot be reversed once it has been processed and sent. Otherwise, anyone could go into a bank and make up some story about this or that and reverse a bank wire.

Use your heads people.

Pretty much the only circumstances where a bank wire may be reversed once processed is if the owner of the account did not initiate the wire - the account was compromised, taken over and some fraudster initiated the wire. In that case the owner of the account reports that an unauthorized transaction has taken place, one he did not make.

People are confusing this bank wire situation with say, a forged check or lost / stolen cashier's check that is deposited into other than the payee's account - in those situations the bank will trace the funds and get them back if possible, but this reversal is based on a complete forgery, or forged or missing endorsement, not "check writer's remorse."

You may not reverse a check you wrote and signed once it has been processed and paid to the intended payee any more than you may reverse a bank wire you initiated as long as it lands where you intended to send it.

Even if it were possible, and there were a mechanism to reverse a check or wire after being processed, think about what would be involved just to try to prove to the bank that something was amiss - a mere police report might be a start, but it really doesn't prove anything, at least not right away, in these circumstances.

Banks don't get involved with that sort of thing. Once you've sent the funds and the wire has been processed it's up to law enforcement to take action and even then, they don't have the power to force the bank to recover the funds immediately either. In these situations if anything may be done, it's up to law enforcement to try to direct the seizure freezing reversal of funds.

Bottom line: before you finalize that wire, make sure you're all right with the fact that it is essentially irrevocable.
Modiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 07:56 AM   #19
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiferous View Post
If a sender legitimately sends a bank wire, it cannot be reversed once it has been processed and sent. Otherwise, anyone could go into a bank and make up some story about this or that and reverse a bank wire.

Use your heads people.

Pretty much the only circumstances where a bank wire may be reversed once processed is if the owner of the account did not initiate the wire - the account was compromised, taken over and some fraudster initiated the wire. In that case the owner of the account reports that an unauthorized transaction has taken place, one he did not make.

People are confusing this bank wire situation with say, a forged check or lost / stolen cashier's check that is deposited into other than the payee's account - in those situations the bank will trace the funds and get them back if possible, but this reversal is based on a complete forgery, or forged or missing endorsement, not "check writer's remorse."

You may not reverse a check you wrote and signed once it has been processed and paid to the intended payee any more than you may reverse a bank wire you initiated as long as it lands where you intended to send it.

Even if it were possible, and there were a mechanism to reverse a check or wire after being processed, think about what would be involved just to try to prove to the bank that something was amiss - a mere police report might be a start, but it really doesn't prove anything, at least not right away, in these circumstances.

Banks don't get involved with that sort of thing. Once you've sent the funds and the wire has been processed it's up to law enforcement to take action and even then, they don't have the power to force the bank to recover the funds immediately either. In these situations if anything may be done, it's up to law enforcement to try to direct the seizure freezing reversal of funds.

Bottom line: before you finalize that wire, make sure you're all right with the fact that it is essentially irrevocable.
A poster in this thread just said he had his wire reversed, so it can happen. Highly unlikely but it can happen. I feel for people who do this, I too almost fell to a couple of these scams, spidey senses kicked in and fortunately I avoided disaster.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 08:49 AM   #20
Yomada
2024 Pledge Member

Man, this sucks. If a seller don't accept paypal or credit card, no deal. Even legit sellers can have their accounts hacked.
Yomada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2023, 09:38 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyf View Post
Man, this sucks. If a seller don't accept paypal or credit card, no deal. Even legit sellers can have their accounts hacked.

I disagree on the last part as anyone who is legit here has 2FA active. Nobody is taking over my account or anyone else with 2FA.
Old 6 December 2023, 01:13 AM   #22
Yomada
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I disagree on the last part as anyone who is legit here has 2FA active. Nobody is taking over my account or anyone else with 2FA.
True, didn't think of 2FA.
Yomada is offline   Reply With Quote