The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 December 2008, 04:36 AM   #1
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Proper method to wind a Rolex?

I was at an AD the other day and the sales associate took out a watch to show a customer and proceeded to wind it. She unlocked the crown and spun the sucker as fast as possible. I was thinking to myself that can't be the best for the spring but in truth, I didn't know the answer?

I tend to err on the side of conservative winding. Not too fast, not too slow and I only wind about 40-50 turns. I know many newer watches have safety features built in so you can't over wind the spring but out of old habit, I still stop.

So any opinions as to what is the proper means/methods to wind a Rolex?

Does anyone think the sales clerk was damaging the watch by winding it at such as pace?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 07:23 AM   #2
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit

I surely think she was torturing the watch , since it was sold and also it didnt belong to her nor did she own the store. Proper method or not all i would say god damit be 'gentle'! with the movement...I hate this attitude of people being careless specially coming from a watch saleslady! Dont think I would tolerate it!!!
rajurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 09:21 AM   #3
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Where's all the master watch repair guys when you need them!!

Jocke? Oh Jocke!!!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Old 29 December 2008, 10:53 AM   #4
onkyo
Banned

David,

I don't know the answer to your question but I can't imagine that would be good for the mov't.

I have seen many sales associates act harshly with Rolex's. Once, I asked to see a watch towards the front of the case and as she was haphazardly removing it, it banged into other watches and the actual case itself. I was thinking 'there is no way I am going to buy that'..... and after I inspected it closely there were a bunch of small scratches on it probably from going in and out of the case over and over again. I pointed that out to the sales associate and she said "oh, we can buff those out for you". There was no way I would purchase a buffed watch (even lightly) and pay full price.

Its unbelievable to me that sales associates would do this even if not harmful to the watch, especially in front of potential customers.

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 10:57 AM   #5
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
even though something may be over-engineered, i still try and treat it with courtesy.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Felly Jr.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
even though something may be over-engineered, i still try and treat it with courtesy.
Felly Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 12:27 PM   #7
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody p View Post
and don't wind underwater.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 12:31 PM   #8
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
the sales guy did that with my DDII when I bought it... He is a nice guy but he is always ruff on watches.. I have said something to him before but he just doesnt know any better and he has been there for 20 years.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowboy99 View Post
Ahhh Yeah! or you'll be

Old 29 December 2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Felly Jr.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/GV
Quote:
and don't BREAK wind underwater either.......
Felly Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Since they're kinetic winders, wouldn't best simply be to wear it?
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 01:36 PM   #12
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
David,

I don't know the answer to your question but I can't imagine that would be good for the mov't.

I have seen many sales associates act harshly with Rolex's. Once, I asked to see a watch towards the front of the case and as she was haphazardly removing it, it banged into other watches and the actual case itself. I was thinking 'there is no way I am going to buy that'..... and after I inspected it closely there were a bunch of small scratches on it probably from going in and out of the case over and over again. I pointed that out to the sales associate and she said "oh, we can buff those out for you". There was no way I would purchase a buffed watch (even lightly) and pay full price.

Its unbelievable to me that sales associates would do this even if not harmful to the watch, especially in front of potential customers.

Agree. If it had been my watch, I would have said something and been pissed!

Old 29 December 2008, 01:44 PM   #13
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post

I surely think she was torturing the watch , since it was sold and also it didnt belong to her nor did she own the store. Proper method or not all i would say god damit be 'gentle'! with the movement...I hate this attitude of people being careless specially coming from a watch saleslady! Dont think I would tolerate it!!!
I agree! I know it probably would be overkill, but would'nt it be cool to have a salesperson treat the watch like it was something special. I mean, white gloves, wiping off the small fingerprints, etc when handling the watch. Would probably add to the experience and make you want it even more. If I ever was to get a sales job, it would be nice to sell something you loved and had a real interest in. How the he** can you expect to sell golf clubs if you've never set foot on a course and know zilch about the game?
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Blimms

Watch: Rolex/Breitling/BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
David,

After reading these posts, I'm glad I'm not crazy !! I feel the same way - I've seen some salespersons drop the watches when moving to fast !! they show the watch and place it back in the case.
Blimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 02:59 PM   #15
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

Let your mother wind your watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puutimg watch om.jpg (135.6 KB, 284 views)
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 08:32 PM   #16
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Are you sure the sales associate wasn't setting the time, I mean how much faster can one person wind a watch than someone else unless you're doing the old Lily Tomlin routine, one windy windy...................two windy windy............. I hate to see anything nice get mishandled, but it's just product to most people working in AD's. I have had experience with both kinds but it seems for the most part the associates I've dealt with are fairly careful.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2008, 08:55 PM   #17
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxmoore View Post
Since they're kinetic winders, wouldn't best simply be to wear it?
Not unless you plan to spend the first few hours in an aerobics class. The auto-winding systems is designed to "maintain" much better than "generate" power reserve. If you're active, you can certainly wear it all day and rest it at night for long periods, but TRF is full of threads where after two or three days the sedentary wearer has diminished the power reserve and the watch has stopped. I think the mot common thing to do with a stopped watch is to reset it, wind it 40 turns and enjoy until it needs resetting for one reason or another. I have had fully wound watches lose lots of time in a winder after a few weeks when the tpm setting was wrong.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 02:40 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Simple rule of thumb I've been following for over 30 years as far as automatic watches are concerned:

I NEVER shake a STOPPED watch!!

The whole idea is to FIRST get it going....and the BEST way to do that is a gentle "brandy like swirl" in a plane parallel to the floor - so you get the auto rotor moving round and round, thus starting up the watch.

THEN.....you give it around 40 turns of the crown and you're all ready to go!!

Can it get easier than that?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 02:56 AM   #19
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let your mother wind your watches.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 07:08 PM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
I was at an AD the other day and the sales associate took out a watch to show a customer and proceeded to wind it. She unlocked the crown and spun the sucker as fast as possible. I was thinking to myself that can't be the best for the spring but in truth, I didn't know the answer?

I tend to err on the side of conservative winding. Not too fast, not too slow and I only wind about 40-50 turns. I know many newer watches have safety features built in so you can't over wind the spring but out of old habit, I still stop.

So any opinions as to what is the proper means/methods to wind a Rolex?

Does anyone think the sales clerk was damaging the watch by winding it at such as pace?
Well when Rolex sends there bare movements for COSC testing the
winding rotor is removed.Simply because the machine that turns the special for the test winding crown,it winds that fast it would damage the highly geared auto winding mechanism.So I am 100% sure a human being could not harm a watch or spring in any way by winding it fast.

Rolex has a special machine at the COSC to test its extremely vast quantities of movements that are tested annually. These are just bare movements they are loaded into magazines like bullets in a machine gun. The programed machine extracts the movement, reads the time, winds it very fast and returns it to the magazine.This goes on for the full 15 days test.And some of you guys worry about winding your watches,because they are automatic.

Remember a automatic watch is only a manual wind watch with a automatic mechanism fitted.And reading the many posts on this forum Rolex watches today sure do get a very pampered life.Rolex watches are made to take quite a lot of punishment. And to work in many very harsh environments a lot harder that the average Rolex wearer today ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post

Its a good job you cannot see how the movements are tested you would have a shock.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 07:15 PM   #21
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well when Rolex sends there bare movements for COSC testing the
winding rotor is removed.Simply because the machine that turns the special for the test winding crown,it winds that fast it would damage the highly geared auto winding mechanism.So I am 100% sure a human being could not harm a watch or spring in any way by winding it fast.

Rolex has a special machine at the COSC to test its extremely vast quantities of movements that are tested annually. These are just bare movements they are loaded into magazines like bullets in a machine gun. The programed machine extracts the movement, reads the time, winds it very fast and returns it to the magazine.This goes on for the full 15 days test.And some of you guys worry about winding your watches,because they are automatic.

Remember a automatic watch is only a manual wind watch with a automatic mechanism fitted.And reading the many posts on this forum Rolex watches today sure do get a very pampered life.Rolex watches are made to take quite a lot of punishment. And to work in many very harsh environments a lot harder that the average Rolex wearer today ever will.

As usual Padi56 brings some sanity to a thread that badly needs it. These watches have a history of being tough and rugged and able to take most anything man and nature can throw at it. I cannot imagine anyone's winding style hurting them.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2008, 07:48 PM   #22
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felly Jr. View Post
and don't BREAK wind underwater either.......
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2008, 12:33 AM   #23
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
Rental Car Mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
the sales guy did that with my DDII when I bought it... He is a nice guy but he is always ruff on watches.. I have said something to him before but he just doesnt know any better and he has been there for 20 years.
The same phenomenon occurs, for some, when driving a rental car. You do things to them that you would not to your own car even though you know they can take it because there is no sense of consequence.
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2008, 09:05 AM   #24
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

So it would seem the general consensus is a person can't possibly wind the watch fast enough to cause damage. Good to know however I will still take my time. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the responses.