The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 December 2016, 12:25 AM   #1
blue16613
Banned

USMC93 Has Fallen Off The Grid

Last weekend I asked if any of you had any communication with USMC93 (Brent Atkinson) or knowledge of his whereabouts recently. This is because I recently completed a transaction with him and he suddenly became incommunicado. More than 425 of you have read that post and not a single reply.

USMC93 qualifies as a trusted seller by anyone's account. He has loads of positive feedback both here and on WatchUSeek. I, myself, was set to add to the accolades until this occurred. He was terrific in every way.

He has his money and I have my watch. It was a very good transaction and we are both happy campers in that regard. But there were some small remaining matters that needed resolution and he suddenly vanished into thin air. I have tried e-mailing and texting him for more than a month with no response.

It seems he does have a history of this. Here is a thread from WatchUSeek reporting the same behavior:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/neg...ghlight=USMC93

As you can see, he finally replied to the negative feedback by saying he had been deployed...which is certainly a possibility once again now....but one would think he would have some back-up means of communicating with his sellers especially since he does sell some very high end pieces. It seems he didn't learn from that experience which earned him some negative feedback.

The point I am trying to make is this is one of the considerations when going with an Trusted Seller as opposed to an AD. The AD WILL be there for you with after sales service. With anyone else, you do assume some risk.

Let me close by saying that I still think USMC93 is a legitimate Trusted Seller. And a really nice guy. He qualifies because you can count on him to sell you exactly what he offers promptly, as described and with no shenanigans. I am just very disappointed to have been left with some loose ends and radio silence from his end as I have tried to get them addressed.

Caveat emptor!!
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 01:00 AM   #2
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Wow. Interesting. I have not had contact with him but have looked at a lot of his for sale ads in both forums.

Wonder if he is in a unit where it is "pack your stuff and there will be a car out front in 5 minutes"???

But very odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 01:47 AM   #3
blue16613
Banned

He well might be in such a position. Regardless whether this is the case or not now we are all grateful for his history of service to our Country and appreciate his patriotism. Absolutely, definitely, 100%

What puzzles me is website states that he and his wife are partners in their watch business. It just seems odd that she does not reply to customers when he is otherwise unavailable. Especially since it "earned" him some very negative feedback in the past.

It pains me to write anything negative about Brent because he was terrific to deal with..... but this is unacceptable and those asking about the pros & cons of an AD vs. Trusted Seller need to be aware. Whether it influences their decision or not is up to them but on a forum like this they deserve all the facts they can garner.
Old 11 December 2016, 03:15 AM   #4
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
He well might be in such a position. Regardless whether this is the case or not now we are all grateful for his history of service to our Country and appreciate his patriotism. Absolutely, definitely, 100%

What puzzles me is website states that he and his wife are partners in their watch business. It just seems odd that she does not reply to customers when he is otherwise unavailable. Especially since it "earned" him some very negative feedback in the past.

It pains me to write anything negative about Brent because he was terrific to deal with..... but this is unacceptable and those asking about the pros & cons of an AD vs. Trusted seller need to be aware. Whether it influences their decision or not is up to them but on a forum like this they deserve all the facts they can garner.
Let's not throw everyone into this category. There are many, many people who sell and have sold that are very attentive and will bend over backwards for you. And on the other side of the conversation there are many A.D.'s that have treated customers horrible, as per the many threads started about "my horrible AD experience" on TRF...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 03:23 AM   #5
blue16613
Banned

You are right and I am sorry if I left the impression I was throwing everyone into this category. I certainly did not intend to do so.

Thanks.
Old 11 December 2016, 04:36 AM   #6
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Quote:
You are right and I am sorry if I left the impression I was throwing everyone into this category. I certainly did not intend to do so.

Thanks.
Things can happen, maybe a death in family or some kind of health emergency
Its happened to me before and I got banned from another forum by the administrator whom I was buying a watch from, and he couldnt wait an extra day for me to send payment.

Strange things happen and people react strangely sometimes

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 04:50 AM   #7
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Old 11 December 2016, 10:14 AM   #8
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
something might have taken up his time that's all. I was just dealing with a very rude seller who does have plenty of solid feedback here, did not announce he was away. Actually paypal is refusing to let the sale through anyway, but Ill be damned if im gonna wire money to some one like that.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 10:26 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Let's not throw everyone into this category. There are many, many people who sell and have sold that are very attentive and will bend over backwards for you. And on the other side of the conversation there are many A.D.'s that have treated customers horrible, as per the many threads started about "my horrible AD experience" on TRF...
I agree with your comments. As far as the OPs comments, he is contradictory in his post and I would like to know what is his issue with the seller - especially since he felt the need to post this thread here.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 10:50 AM   #10
blue16613
Banned

Sorry if i was not clear in describing my "issue."

My issue is that the seller ceased communicating with me before the entirety of the transaction was completed.

I think what you perceive to be "contradictory" was my effort to assure that everyone realized that contrary to some of the stories told here, I got the watch promptly after wiring my funds and the watch arrived in the condition the seller described. It would be wrong for me to leave anyone with the impression that the seller was remiss in this regard.

I also wanted to point out that this has occurred before with this seller. And, the last time, it was because he was suddenly deployed.

I thought this all might be of value to someone who used this site as a means of determining how to make a purchase...... and from who.
Old 11 December 2016, 10:56 AM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
When I used to buy and sell pocket knives as a hobby, I heard every excuse in the books, usually health emergencies, deployments, wife is sick, etc. They sure are healthy enough to take your money, but then the excuses come in and then radio silence.

Have seen it so often the stress was affecting me so I stopped that hobby. Just can't trust most people anymore, regardless of reputation. In MY experience.

And statements about "we all support our troops" are not an excuse for shoddy business practices. I spent 21 years in the Army and many years in the Government and would NEVER USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE.

If people cannot send a freakin' email or make a single telephone call they have no business selling. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
Things can happen, maybe a death in family or some kind of health emergency
Its happened to me before and I got banned from another forum by the administrator whom I was buying a watch from, and he couldnt wait an extra day for me to send payment.

Strange things happen and people react strangely sometimes
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 11:02 AM   #12
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry if i was not clear in describing my "issue."

My issue is that the seller ceased communicating with me before the entirety of the transaction was completed.

I think what you perceive to be "contradictory" was my effort to assure that everyone realized that contrary to some of the stories told here, I got the watch promptly after wiring my funds and the watch arrived in the condition the seller described. It would be wrong for me to leave anyone with the impression that the seller was remiss in this regard.

I also wanted to point out that this has occurred before with this seller. And, the last time, it was because he was suddenly deployed.

I thought this all might be of value to someone who used this site as a means of determining how to make a purchase...... and from who.
so out of interest what are the small remaining matters?
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I want to know what remains after the money and watch have been received.

Ugh...like said above
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2016, 12:33 PM   #14
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
so out of interest what are the small remaining matters?
I would be frustrated too if a seller wasn't responding.

X3 Though What are the questions/loose ends that you want tied up?? You said the watch arrived exactly as described.
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2016, 01:54 PM   #15
TAKUYA
⭐⭐⭐⭐2024 DATE-JUST41 sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Brent from Alabama is good friend. We've done many deals before. He working for US Government and US Marine Corps.

https://www.facebook.com/brent.atkinson.54

from the last chats which was like a month or 2 months ago, he was in Afghanistan & Pakistan & countries in middle east. and from what i know he usually goes to there and always have limited to access to internet..... So i think he can not see your emails or texts etc.. until he can be able to access to internet...

Instagram @takuyawatches
TAKUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2016, 10:23 PM   #16
blue16613
Banned

Thanks for your insightful post. As I mentioned up top, I know he was suddenly deployed once before and suspected this might be the case. But one would think he could leave something, even if only an auto-reply e-mail, indicating he was not available. Sensitive details would not be necessary. Or, he could have someone else pick up his e-mails for him.
Maybe I'm wrong, but total prolonged dead silence is not a good business practice when one is in a customer service profession.
Old 14 December 2016, 12:18 AM   #17
JBJorlando
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 217
Overseas deployment can happen fast. Lets pray for his safety and quick return home first
I am sure he will get back with you as soon as he's able
Semper Fi brother Brent
JBJorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2016, 04:37 AM   #18
Fearesq
"TRF" Member

He's a great guy.. overseas most likely. He's a pilot, so not sure how often he can get back to responses.
Fearesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2016, 05:48 AM   #19
blue16613
Banned

In my very first post I acknowledged and praised his service to his Country. I want to reaffirm that........thank you Brent.

I have also repeatedly characterized him as a really nice guy. I stand by that which is why I have taken some of my replies to posters off line.

But shouldn't he disclose to his customers, in advance, that he might suddenly disappear and be incommunicado for weeks, if not months? For some, it might be a significant consideration when choosing where to make their purchase.
Old 14 December 2016, 05:53 AM   #20
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
In my very first post I acknowledged and praised his service to his Country. I want to reaffirm that........thank you Brent.

I have also repeatedly characterized him as a really nice guy. I stand by that which is why I have taken some of my replies to posters off line.

But shouldn't he disclose to his customers, in advance, that he might suddenly disappear and be incommunicado for weeks, if not months? For some, it might be a significant consideration when choosing where to make their purchase.
I don't get this post?

You say he's an excellent seller, duly shipped the watch and it arrived in perfectly described condition yet you start this thread for some trivia question you won't disclose and of utmost importance (to you) that you can't wait for him to come back?

PS. Please don't send me a PM, if it's so secret that you can't reveal it here I don't want to know.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2016, 06:36 AM   #21
blue16613
Banned

You hit the nail squarely on the head. You don't understand the post.
And no worries, no PM will be sent.
Have a nice day!
Old 14 December 2016, 07:13 AM   #22
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79090 blue
It's hard to pass judgment on this situation without knowing the issues left unresolved... imo anyway
RKTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2016, 09:35 AM   #23
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
When I used to buy and sell pocket knives as a hobby, I heard every excuse in the books, usually health emergencies, deployments, wife is sick, etc. They sure are healthy enough to take your money, but then the excuses come in and then radio silence.

Have seen it so often the stress was affecting me so I stopped that hobby. Just can't trust most people anymore, regardless of reputation. In MY experience.

And statements about "we all support our troops" are not an excuse for shoddy business practices. I spent 21 years in the Army and many years in the Government and would NEVER USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE.

If people cannot send a freakin' email or make a single telephone call they have no business selling. Period.
Wow, I never realized selling and buying pocket knives was so stressful. Thanks for the headsup. I think your rant is a little harsh, not knowing all the facts. JMHO...
Old 14 December 2016, 10:49 AM   #24
grnbean
2024 Pledge Member

I know it's been said before but just wanted to add that I've done a few transactions with USMC93 aka Brent and his wife Rachel. I know he works for the government and spends a good amount of his time overseas. He was overseas for one of my transactions and his wife Rachel took care of the process from start to finish. Every transaction was seamless and he and Rachel went above and beyond to make sure each transaction concluded smoothly.
grnbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2016, 02:13 AM   #25
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, he's protecting our freedoms, and our way of life, in one of the most dangerous places on the planet, and at great personal sacrifice & risk to himself and his family. That's all I need to know about Brent's character!
Rick_Nashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2017, 02:26 AM   #26
usmc93
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/Black Daytona
Thanks all for your feedback and support. I was indeed deployed to multiple locations in the Middle East for which I left on a relatively short notice. I addressed all loose ends with my customer base prior to leaving. While I was gone, I did have access to email, however it was very sporadic and obviously my family was my primary concern but I did address anything pressing. That said, blue 16613 sent a lot of emails before during and after the sale, and I tried to go through them all when time permitted while I was deployed, he was always happy before leaving so I likely missed or overlooked any issue you had while I was away. In the past my wife had assisted me in these rare cases, but this time due to other family obligations, I shut down the business temporarily, and again, addressed any ongoing deals, issues that I was aware of prior to doing so. I sold the watch referenced in this discussion in Sept of last year and he was very happy and no issues left unaddressed through October when I left. I have just returned and am ramping my watch business back up. I will reach out to you, blue16613. I am not an AD obviously, but I think my record speaks for itself and I always treat everyone with respect and honesty. I do this half for the hobby and relationships with fellow watch lovers and half for a little side watch $. Again, thank you VERY much those who supported me in this thread and in my business in the past, the forums are full of great watch folks.

--Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 116710LN BLNR, Bremont MBII, Rolex 216570, Omega Speedmaster 3572.50, Zenith Class Elite 680, 1993 Tag Heuer 2000 Chrono--
usmc93 is offline   Reply With Quote