The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 31 December 2010, 01:28 PM   #1
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

-- Rolex Explorer I (39mm version) Review --

Hi everyone. I purchased a 39mm Explorer 1 a few days ago and wanted to share a few pictures. Unlike many of you on this forum, I don't know or care much about technical specs so unfortunately I can’t speak to the time differential or mechanics of the watch. I’ve read a few of the comments floating around the net criticizing the explorer 1 (39mm version) because the hour hand is too short (apparently taken from the explorer 1 36mm version), etc.

However, despite the negative comments I’ve seen so far, and despite having paid full retail value (plus tax….painful), I have to say that I am very happy with the watch. I wear a suit most days to work and usually meet with clients or superiors who tend to be rather conservative. As a consequence, I wanted something that looked elegant enough to wear with dress clothes and this watch definitely fits the bill. I’ve received a number of compliments at work this week. I tried on a date submariner and a GMT II at the authorized dealer and I just didn’t feel I could wear any of these to work. I feel like this watch is one that will keep me company on international travel for work and at the same time look great at any cocktail or dinner.

The watch wears very nicely. I owned a 42mm non-rolex watch before and I felt it was rather uncomfortable to wear. As a consequence I didn’t keep it for more than 6 months. The 39mm Explorer is very comfortable (not too bulky), but big enough to feel good about it. It weighs 135 grams including all links. Again, overall I’m very happy with the watch. My fiancé also loves the watch. Yesterday we went back to the store where I bought the watch and she tried on a few DJ models and now she wants one (although before she wanted a Cartier… what have I done!!!)!!

However, I feel like the best situation, would be to own a second sport model watch (something like a submariner, GMT or Daytona) and wear that on casual Friday’s and/or on the weekends. Nevertheless I think it‘s nice to have the Explorer 1 for Mondays-Thursdays. Anyway, I don’t have much else to say at this point, so instead I’m posting a few pictures I took tonight. All comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 7977 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (35.6 KB, 7867 views)
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (45.4 KB, 7831 views)
File Type: jpg 44.jpg (56.8 KB, 7831 views)
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (88.7 KB, 7843 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (54.8 KB, 7803 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (63.5 KB, 7809 views)
thomaspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2011, 08:52 AM   #2
COOLSWEEP

Nice. Thanks for posting. What accuracy she running at?
COOLSWEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
Hour hand glaringly short.
Clasp fat and bulky - too excessive in comparison to the balance of the rest of the watch.
Pleased you are happy with it.
Enjoy it!
Sixxgrand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2011, 11:53 AM   #4
SCD
"TRF" Member

It's as classy as a watch can ever be. Great choice!
SCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2011, 01:03 PM   #5
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Wow, very nice! Congrats!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2011, 01:26 PM   #6
wheelnut
"TRF" Member

ears are too big

nice watch though
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2011, 02:01 AM   #7
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Congratulations and thank you for the write-up. I had this watch on my wrist last week and thought it was spectacular. Enjoy it!
Old 2 January 2011, 03:10 AM   #8
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I like the 39mm Explorer, a beautiful and durable watch. Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Hi everyone. I purchased a 39mm Explorer 1 a few days ago and wanted to share a few pictures. Unlike many of you on this forum, I don't know or care much about technical specs so unfortunately I can’t speak to the time differential or mechanics of the watch. I’ve read a few of the comments floating around the net criticizing the explorer 1 (39mm version) because the hour hand is too short (apparently taken from the explorer 1 36mm version), etc.

However, despite the negative comments I’ve seen so far, and despite having paid full retail value (plus tax….painful), I have to say that I am very happy with the watch. I wear a suit most days to work and usually meet with clients or superiors who tend to be rather conservative. As a consequence, I wanted something that looked elegant enough to wear with dress clothes and this watch definitely fits the bill. I’ve received a number of compliments at work this week. I tried on a date submariner and a GMT II at the authorized dealer and I just didn’t feel I could wear any of these to work. I feel like this watch is one that will keep me company on international travel for work and at the same time look great at any cocktail or dinner.

The watch wears very nicely. I owned a 42mm non-rolex watch before and I felt it was rather uncomfortable to wear. As a consequence I didn’t keep it for more than 6 months. The 39mm Explorer is very comfortable (not too bulky), but big enough to feel good about it. It weighs 135 grams including all links. Again, overall I’m very happy with the watch. My fiancé also loves the watch. Yesterday we went back to the store where I bought the watch and she tried on a few DJ models and now she wants one (although before she wanted a Cartier… what have I done!!!)!!

However, I feel like the best situation, would be to own a second sport model watch (something like a submariner, GMT or Daytona) and wear that on casual Friday’s and/or on the weekends. Nevertheless I think it‘s nice to have the Explorer 1 for Mondays-Thursdays. Anyway, I don’t have much else to say at this point, so instead I’m posting a few pictures I took tonight. All comments are welcome.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2011, 04:21 AM   #9
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Very nice watch. Very discreet and classic.
Old 2 January 2011, 05:47 AM   #10
Starbuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxgrand1 View Post
Clasp fat and bulky - too excessive in comparison to the balance of the rest of the watch.
Enjoy it!
The hour hand is the same as found on the GMT and Submariner models and I believe the steel bracelet is also the same. The clasp looks good and too scale on my wrist. The Explorer is a fantastic looking watch with a cleaner less clutter appearance to other "sport" models.
http://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/dummy.gif
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2011, 10:37 AM   #11
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
I LOVE mine!! you LOVE yours!!
That is all that matters.
Old 2 January 2011, 02:14 PM   #12
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on getting the REX ThomasPP

Nice photo's and fair comment. This model will suit many who do not wish to have a larger sporty model on their wrists.

I have a 19cm wrist (7.5 inches) and it looks lost on me. I do however hanker after the REX II with the 'Polar dial'

Wear it in good health!
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 01:15 PM   #13
AE67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP 116000
My upcoming purchase is a decision between the explorer and O.P 116000 with silver dial. However, everytime I see a picture of the explorer, it begins to sway my decision even more. Enjoy it!
AE67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 01:31 PM   #14
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Congratulations

I tried on the exp recently .. and have to say I was very impressed. I agree with many of your comments. It's a very simple, clean & elegant watch

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Maxtor
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
I have the smaller original Explorer 1 and it is a wear it anywhere watch.

Looks great with a suit (and would work with a tux) and looks great with jeans.

Enjoy your new watch!
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 01:29 AM   #16
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, I was struggled with this one a few months ago!
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2011, 03:38 AM   #17
synth19
"TRF" Member

OP, if your fiance ends up getting something.. you better get some sort of discount. :) Where you able to compare the "matte" black dial on the Explorer vs the true black on other Rolex's?
synth19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 08:43 AM   #18
LostInTime
"TRF" Member

Synth, I own the 39mm and did closely compare the dial with other watches. The matte dial looks great and is much more of a black color that the brownish-tinted dials of the Milgaus. In bright light, including most jeweler showrooms, the dial will not look as black as the Sub as the Explorer takes on a dark charcoal appearance which looks fantastic. In normal lighting situations, the dial looks as black as anything else.

Others complain about it, but for me the matte dial is what makes this watch special.
LostInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2011, 04:35 AM   #19
fastskater

Watch: Submariner 5512
Thomas, I agree entirely with what you said along with Lost In Time. My wife bought me the new 399mm Explorer for Christmas and I absolutely love it, rarely leaves my wrist. All these barbs from others are nonsense.

I also own a 5513 Submariner and a Datejust 2 which I purchased about a year ago. That's it for me, no more, but again I have to say I am especially pleased with the Explorer in every way. The Explorer is my Mon-Fri wearer generally speaking with the Sub on weekends. The DJ2 comes out when I'm in the mood or when I want to dress things up a bit.

By the way, for your fiance, have her try the 31mm mid-size or the 34mm Air King models...women like the size/weight of these and they look hot.

Glad to have you in the club mate.
fastskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 12:45 AM   #20
Boadicea
Banned

Quote:
I feel like the best situation, would be to own a second sport model watch (something like a submariner, GMT or Daytona) and wear that on casual Friday’s and/or on the weekends.
If you like the comfort of the explorer, you can't go wrong with either the Daytona or the Explorer 2 as your next step. For weekend wear, I would lean towards the Daytona more as it is slightly easier to set once it has run down (ie: no date).

As an owner and fan of 36mm DJ and Explorer, I found that the Sub/GMT range just felt obstructive and top heavy to me. The Daytona however, is perfectly balanced and sits flat on the wrist.
Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2011, 01:04 PM   #21
A Jewel Thief

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Some people are saying the hour hands are too small, I think they look fine. Beautiful watch! I have the 36mm and I love it.
A Jewel Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 03:50 AM   #22
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Icon7

Good choice. I'm loving mine and can't pick fault. great size, very versatile and nothing wrong with the hands. Strap is also amazing. can't keep my eyes off it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00212-20110126-1912.jpg (80.6 KB, 6964 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00211-20110126-1911.jpg (71.6 KB, 6937 views)
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2011, 04:05 AM   #23
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Quote:
hi everyone. I purchased a 39mm explorer 1 a few days ago and wanted to share a few pictures. Unlike many of you on this forum, i don't know or care much about technical specs so unfortunately i can’t speak to the time differential or mechanics of the watch. I’ve read a few of the comments floating around the net criticizing the explorer 1 (39mm version) because the hour hand is too short (apparently taken from the explorer 1 36mm version), etc.

However, despite the negative comments i’ve seen so far, and despite having paid full retail value (plus tax….painful), i have to say that i am very happy with the watch. I wear a suit most days to work and usually meet with clients or superiors who tend to be rather conservative. As a consequence, i wanted something that looked elegant enough to wear with dress clothes and this watch definitely fits the bill. I’ve received a number of compliments at work this week. I tried on a date submariner and a gmt ii at the authorized dealer and i just didn’t feel i could wear any of these to work. I feel like this watch is one that will keep me company on international travel for work and at the same time look great at any cocktail or dinner.

The watch wears very nicely. I owned a 42mm non-rolex watch before and i felt it was rather uncomfortable to wear. As a consequence i didn’t keep it for more than 6 months. The 39mm explorer is very comfortable (not too bulky), but big enough to feel good about it. It weighs 135 grams including all links. Again, overall i’m very happy with the watch. My fiancé also loves the watch. Yesterday we went back to the store where i bought the watch and she tried on a few dj models and now she wants one (although before she wanted a cartier… what have i done!!!)!!

However, i feel like the best situation, would be to own a second sport model watch (something like a submariner, gmt or daytona) and wear that on casual friday’s and/or on the weekends. Nevertheless i think it‘s nice to have the explorer 1 for mondays-thursdays. Anyway, i don’t have much else to say at this point, so instead i’m posting a few pictures i took tonight. All comments are welcome.
my thoughts exactly too btw...
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2011, 05:22 AM   #24
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxgrand1 View Post
Enjoy it!
As some say.... It's better to say nothing at all unless you have something nice to say....

GREAT WATCH!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2011, 09:56 PM   #25
RoliSubMan
Banned

Lovely watch, happy you like it. The 36mm model is more my cup tea. The hour hand major flaw. Just too short.
RoliSubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2011, 10:43 AM   #26
watchnut.com
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15400ST
Beautiful watch! I think Rolex hit the proverbial "home run" taking the Explorer to 39mm, adding the new style bracelet, and leaving the classic dial fairly unaltered. The Explorer I dial has always been one of my favorite dial designs ever.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - William Shakespeare

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit
watchnut.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2011, 02:41 AM   #27
Rocat
"TRF" Member

It looks great, enjoy it...lovely dog, too!
Rocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 02:07 PM   #28
mensun518

longing for it long time ago.
mensun518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2011, 02:12 PM   #29
synth19
"TRF" Member

One of the most comfortable watches that you can wear IMO.
Old 1 March 2011, 01:23 PM   #30
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Dare I say it's the perfect Rolex? I am leaning that way.........
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote