The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2016, 12:26 AM   #1
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Giving away watches

So I only want/need 2-3 watches at a time, but I love 'experiencing' many different watches. As such I have started to give away my older watches as I get nicer ones. I don't need the money and I love giving gifts. But now I am at a cross roads:

When does a nice watch become a burden for the recipient?

Example: I have given away multiple Tissots, Victorinox, Militare (Panerai nock off) Seiko, and Suntos. When they stop working just throw them away. But now I am at the nicer end (but still low end) of watches. I am going to give a very influential person in my life my loved Sinn. I am going to get is serviced and regulated before I give it to him, but he is not a watch guy. He spent a lot of time in Germany growing up and I know he will like the watch, but the 5-10 year service window scares me that he will see it as a curse instead of a great gift.

Also I want to continue this trend but my next two purchases are a Nomos and a Rolex. The Nomos should be easy to gift since no one has ever heard of them. But a Rolex would be hard and that is one reason I don't want to buy it. Simply because I think a Rolex as a gift is "too much" and the recipient may believe they owe me something which they won't. I will probably keep the Rolex to give to my kids since I really want the ND or Hulk Sub.

General thoughts? Or, has anyone else given away nice watches to non family members and can give experienced advice?
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 12:28 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I don't think it's too much to gift.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 02:43 AM   #3
Toony
"TRF" Member

I recently gave a friend a Rolex. I rarely used it and knew he would appreciate it. We've been friends since we were 6 years old. When I gave it to him he didn't know what to say or do. I told him it's not his watch, he was just wearing it until his son got old enough to appreciate it. He smiled and just said thank you.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 03:02 AM   #4
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post
I recently gave a friend a Rolex. I rarely used it and knew he would appreciate it. We've been friends since we were 6 years old. When I gave it to him he didn't know what to say or do. I told him it's not his watch, he was just wearing it until his son got old enough to appreciate it. He smiled and just said thank you.
Old 17 July 2016, 04:30 AM   #5
ChrisM
Banned

Watch: Tudor/Tusal/Tag..?
Bloody nice gift but I think keeping it for your kids is better.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 05:38 AM   #6
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
if one cannot commit to the responsibility & expense of properly maintaining a quality timepiece, then perhaps it shouldn't be given to them.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 10:30 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I think it's great to be passing this tradition along among friends. These days it seems as if less people are giving mechanical watches the time of day.

Alhough I haven't gifted any watches to friends just yet there's a lot I'll one day pay forward. On two occasions I've been gifted watches from a good friend. A Seiko Monster and a vintage Seamaster (1963).

Tony says it best above in my opinion. We're simply holding onto them for the next generation or owner!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 10:31 PM   #8
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
I think it's great to be passing this tradition along among friends. These days it seems as if less people are giving mechanical watches the time of day.
I do want to share my passion for craftsmanship and art and good watches are both. Rolex is just an interesting brand in that they are art, craftsmanship and status. I just have to be careful of who can 'handle' the status if I gift a Rolex. On most other brands I will safe.
Old 17 July 2016, 10:35 PM   #9
m1911a1
Banned

Watch: 42mm Explorer-II's
I gave away a Submariner and Explorer-II to my twin daughters....
m1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 10:44 PM   #10
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911a1 View Post
I gave away a Submariner and Explorer-II to my twin daughters....
That is bad ass. How did you decide who got what?

And yea, unless I get way to many Rolex/PP/AP/ect (and I can only hope that is my future) I will just keep those for family. All of my other midtier can go to friends.
Old 18 July 2016, 01:19 AM   #11
m1911a1
Banned

Watch: 42mm Explorer-II's
Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingtaco View Post
That is bad ass. How did you decide who got what?

And yea, unless I get way to many Rolex/PP/AP/ect (and I can only hope that is my future) I will just keep those for family. All of my other midtier can go to friends.
One girl wanted the black dial, the other wanted the white dial.....
I wore these watches for 30 and 20 years.....
I offered to buy them new watches, but they said they wanted mine specifically.

I sent them in for complete Rolex Service last fall and gave them to them when I saw them at the holidays.
m1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 06:26 AM   #12
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911a1 View Post
One girl wanted the black dial, the other wanted the white dial.....
I wore these watches for 30 and 20 years.....
I offered to buy them new watches, but they said they wanted mine specifically.

I sent them in for complete Rolex Service last fall and gave them to them when I saw them at the holidays.
I really like that. I think I will own and wear my higher end for the kids and keep a sub $3k watch in the stable for non family. Like Sinn, Nomos, junghans max, and others I value brands I have yet to know that still contribute something to the horological world.
Old 18 July 2016, 07:47 AM   #13
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

I think I would only give away watches to my family members. That's just a personal take though.

I can totally understand why someone would want to give gifts like that to close friends. I wouldn't because I don't want to place a dollar value on my friendships. I think thoughtful gifts of low dollar value are the best kind to give and receive.
masyv6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 08:04 AM   #14
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post

I can totally understand why someone would want to give gifts like that to close friends. I wouldn't because I don't want to place a dollar value on my friendships. I think thoughtful gifts of low dollar value are the best kind to give and receive.
I understand that. As long as I am wise I think I can get away with it. That was my hisitance about Rolex. But for other brands that a non-WIS would never have heard of I can give it for my sake and not worry about the $$.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:29 AM   #15
Haksta
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Kindness of humans restored

Quote:
So I only want/need 2-3 watches at a time, but I love 'experiencing' many different watches. As such I have started to give away my older watches as I get nicer ones. I don't need the money and I love giving gifts. But now I am at a cross roads:

Example: I have given away multiple Tissots, Victorinox, Militare (Panerai nock off) Seiko, and Suntos. When they stop working just throw them away. But now I am at the nicer end (but still low end) of watches. I am going to give a very influential person in my life my loved Sinn. I am going to get is serviced and regulated before I give it to him, but he is not a watch guy. He spent a lot of time in Germany growing up and I know he will like the watch, but the 5-10 year service window scares me that he will see it as a curse instead of a great gift.

Also I want to continue this trend but my next two purchases are a Nomos and a Rolex. The Nomos should be easy to gift since no one has ever heard of them. But a Rolex would be hard and that is one reason I don't want to buy it. Simply because I think a Rolex as a gift is "too much" and the recipient may believe they owe me something which they won't. I will probably keep the Rolex to give to my kids since I really want the ND or Hulk Sub.

General thoughts? Or, has anyone else given away nice watches to non family members and can give experienced advice?
Honestly, if this is genuine and your actually the type of person to share your good fortune with others, then there really needs to be more like you in this world. I literally joined this site out of pure admiration of the craftsmenship of a Rolex watch. I myself do not have the privilege of owning one, but salute you that you'd let others relish in owning such a heirloom that could then be passed on down through their families from something that began as a heart felt kind gesture. Wish I had a friend like that, so honestly whoever you do decide to pass it on to I can guarantee will appreciate the gesture just as much as they appreciate the watch. Ed :)
Haksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 11:35 AM   #16
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Im 60+ and terminally ill and have no family members to give watches away to. Ive sold some of my more expensive watches because my wife would not know were are what to ask for it. I gave one (Tissot) to her grandson to see if would take care of it and just as i thought .....he tore it up within a year. Ive made friends with a young kid....well young to me at Mustang club of Houston that just had a kid and helped me with my Mustangs.....he had always made comments on my Omega AT 150. I never wore it much and when i gave it to him he almost fainted last month. I told him my medical situation is not looking good so dont worry about it. I also gave him a MB Le Grande BP. Im sure he will take care of the Omega and MB for years after im gone. I still have lots to give away....
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 11:41 AM   #17
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
I gifted Rolex's to my mom and dad and Tissot's to my inlaws. Good people always appreciate a good gift. In your place, I wouldn't hesitate to gift a Rolex to someone influential in my life.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 05:17 PM   #18
fiddyg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Panerai
Haven’t thought about giving away any watches to friends. I’m planning on giving them to my 2 boys. Which watch or watches, I don’t know yet. I feel blessed and fortunate enough to be able to afford timepieces that I can give as heirlooms to my sons.
fiddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 05:27 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i would have a hard time giving something away the recipient might not care that much about or have any interest in maintaining.

Even with my kids, if they end up hating watches, they will not then be getting them when im gone. They can have something else they actually like to remember me by.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 06:05 PM   #20
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
You already want to give away a watch you haven’t even bought yet? I think you may change your mind once you put it on :)

I say you buy the Rolex and wear it until you want to give it to your kids. With any luck they will have picked up an appreciation of watches and the necessary care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 06:15 PM   #21
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
A bit Cheeky....?

Errrmmm, if anyone has a 5517, any Rolex Submariner Or Tudor Black Bay or similar, that their looking to give away..... PM Me first
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 12:26 AM   #22
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I give my Seiko/Luminox/Swiss Army level watches to my brothers and nephews and nieces.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 12:37 AM   #23
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
You already want to give away a watch you haven’t even bought yet?
Not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:55 AM   #24
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think you have to be selective.

Giving watches in the thousands of dollars to people who don't "get it" is kind of foolish. I think there has to be a relationship established where they like, understand and appreciate horology before it is a real gift.

I can see the clearing out of cheaper brands to people who just may want a watch but for the more expensive stuff, there needs to be a horological kindred spirit.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 04:18 AM   #25
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Gifted lots of watches over the years. Mostly family, but a couple of good friends. People that I am close to and still connected to I have helped service them when needed. Gave Dad a 116610 a few years back and somehow he jammed up the glidelock. So I got him a new one and installed it for him. Still unsure how he did it LOL.

I will say I am pretty selective about who I would give a decent watch to.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:21 AM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
No I think it's fine to give away a nice watch...

I'll PM you my address
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:16 AM   #27
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

I'll take a Rolex, and I won't feel like I owe you anything. Rest assured I will have it serviced when needed, it won't be a burden.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 08:23 AM   #28
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Im 60+ and terminally ill and have no family members to give watches away to. Ive sold some of my more expensive watches because my wife would not know were are what to ask for it. I gave one (Tissot) to her grandson to see if would take care of it and just as i thought .....he tore it up within a year. Ive made friends with a young kid....well young to me at Mustang club of Houston that just had a kid and helped me with my Mustangs.....he had always made comments on my Omega AT 150. I never wore it much and when i gave it to him he almost fainted last month. I told him my medical situation is not looking good so dont worry about it. I also gave him a MB Le Grande BP. Im sure he will take care of the Omega and MB for years after im gone. I still have lots to give away....
Very generous of you Greg regardless of your medical condition.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 08:29 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
A watch given as a gift specifically to someone who can appreciate it, is ok by me.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 08:47 AM   #30
Wools
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
That’s incredibly kind of you, I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis too.

Although I love this forum and the knowledge it’s given me as I save for my first Rolex, I must admit that the showy & flashy nature of some people here leaves a lot to be desired. We need more people like you in this world.

Although being given an life ending diagnosis is terrible, at least it allows you to focus on what matters in life and you’re generously giving some of your possessions out to some people who will appreciate them.

More power to you mate! :)
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote