The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2016, 12:03 AM   #1
flyinghell34
"TRF" Member

The obligatory (fill in the number) years ago today post....

For the few manned spaceflight mission fans, here this is the official obligatory July 20th post.

Landing on the Moon and Armstrong's heart rate only get to 150. He's one cool cat along with Buzz!

Hands down the best compilation of audio and video of the final few minutes before the first Moon landing. Grab a drink and enjoy.

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com

flyinghell34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 12:43 AM   #2
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

That was great. First time that I have heard all of the transmissions. I think my heart rate was higher than Armstrong's.

Thanks for posting.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 02:43 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
"Fantastic!"

I remember that night very well.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 02:51 AM   #4
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
"Fantastic!"

I remember that night very well.
I thought it was afternoon... Funny what the mind does after 40 something years.

Our family sat in front of the TV and hung on every word. I can still remember the RCA TV, the fuzzy pictures, and Walter starting to bubble over.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:02 AM   #5
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I thought it was afternoon... Funny what the mind does after 40 something years.

Our family sat in front of the TV and hung on every word. I can still remember the RCA TV, the fuzzy pictures, and Walter starting to bubble over.
It may have been afternoon. (The landing was at night: see below)

I was at Camp Lejeune, just back from convalescence leave, and was off-duty.

A buddy and I were drinking beer and driving around eastern North Carolina between Jacksonville and Atlantic Beach, stopping in at various bars to watch the action on TV.

I'm pretty sure we were at the barracks when the Eagle landed. (As it turns out, we were.)

Anyway, when we left the day room, we took off down the metal back stairs and I caught my heel on one of the steps and tore off a patch of skin. At that time it was dark.

I didn't care, though. We were off for more beer.

Here ya go:
At 10:56 p.m. EDT Armstrong is ready to plant the first human foot on another world. With more than half a billion people watching on television, he climbs down the ladder and proclaims: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (› Play Audio)

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11.html

Old 21 July 2016, 03:04 AM   #6
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
that was cool
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:27 AM   #7
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
On the evening July 20, 1969, I stood outside staring at the heavens as the three bravest men in the world did what was thought to be impossible. With less computer power than in our smart phones, two of them landed on the moon while the third orbited that celestial body and waited for his teammates’ return.

Even if the technology existed in those days, it’s doubtful that these three people would have boasted about their accomplishment in 140 character soliloquies. Such is the measure of true heroes.

Thank you Neil, rest in peace; thank you Buzz and Michael and the NASA crew for showing the world that America really is the greatest place on earth. Even if you had to go to the moon to prove it.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:35 AM   #8
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
a true mile stone in history.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 03:45 AM   #9
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
On the evening July 20, 1969, I stood outside staring at the heavens as the three bravest men in the world did what was thought to be impossible. With less computer power than in our smart phones, two of them landed on the moon while the third orbited that celestial body and waited for his teammates’ return.

Even if the technology existed in those days, it’s doubtful that these three people would have boasted about their accomplishment in 140 character soliloquies. Such is the measure of true heroes.

Thank you Neil, rest in peace; thank you Buzz and Michael and the NASA crew for showing the world that America really is the greatest place on earth. Even if you had to go to the moon to prove it.
Possibly true, but surely someone at NASA would have been twittering away.

https://twitter.com/NASA?ref_src=tws...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

They were all truly the apotheosis of heroism, a term that has be so abused by the media over the years that it has lost any real meaning.

Despite that, though, when people see true heroism, they know the difference between that and simple notoriety.

Old 21 July 2016, 04:12 AM   #10
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
The other day, when I noticed this anniversary was coming up, I looked up to see how many of the 12 men who walked on the moon are still with us. Turns out, five of the men have passed, and the other seven are all in their 80's.

Seems strange that something that was once so important to so many, is little more than a footnote, today. Didn't even see a mention of it in the newspapers I read every morning.

It was so much fun growing up in that time of outward and upward exploration but alas, I feel that spirit, at least temporarily, has left mankind.
Old 21 July 2016, 04:29 AM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

I watched the documentary, 'The last man on the moon' today. Always liked reading and watching things about the lunar missions.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote