The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2017, 11:44 AM   #1
nibbl3s
Banned

Missing item from hotel room. No sign of management. Advice

Hello all,

I need some advice. As a consultant, I spend a lot of time on the road, and something like this has never occurred. Occurred at a Starwood Element hotel.

Long story short, I left a pair of Bluetooth work out head phones (Jay birds) on a desk in my room while I was on site at the client. I have done this numerous times with out issue. (I tend to hide my iPad in my suitcase just because). They were gone when I returned. iPad still there

I 100% left them on the desk on the desk, as I had used them working out the night before and took a call returning to my room.no doubt in my mind. I only use these head phones to work out, and always leave them in my room during the day. I don't used them casually. I tore apart the room three times. Nothing. I reported it to the front desk staff that night, and he said his manager would contact me tomorrow.

Next day I checkout, work, and head to the airport. By three I have not heard a peep. I call the front desk, and a woman curtly answers. She informs me that she passed my, and some one else who had , as she put it "similar concern to mine" to her manager that morning and would be hearing something soon. She referred to them as "misplaced items" which angered me.

As of tonight, nothing. It's not the end of the world ($170) but I am disappointed and angered at this situation, and the subsequent response. My firm has spent tens of thousands of dollars at this location and I hold status(for what little it is worth).

What do I do now? Am I being unreasonable? How should I elevate this?

Thanks for your time.
nibbl3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:00 PM   #2
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Call back and demand to speak with the manager. Call customer service and file a complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:46 PM   #3
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I hope you get them back or at the least reach some point of resolution with the hotel. On another note this is a perfect example of why I always sleep with my Rolex on my wrist when traveling
rod727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:50 PM   #4
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

I would become the biggest " Squeaky Wheel" on the planet !!!!

Sorry for you trouble
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Starwood, not cool.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:22 PM   #6
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I would have been kicking dust and taking names and phone numbers of upper management (above manager) before I left.
If it were me I would have asked before leaving who was on camera coming into and going from the room. Maybe there was more than the room maid?
I would have asked the manager to review tape and ask questions of his staff. And get back to me with his findings.
I would also have contacted head office, president - someone with more authority.
Would it be to your benefit to inform your company of your misfortune since if it has spent as much money as you say - they may have had other employees who you don't know have the same problem?
Out of principle, I would not let it pass. I cannot tolerate this type of behavior.
I hope you get resolution, sir. Good Luck.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Try posting something to twitter or Facebook. Nowadays, that seems to be the easiest way to get the attention of any company.
Old 20 January 2017, 02:25 PM   #8
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Missing item from hotel room. No sign of management. Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
Try posting something to twitter or Facebook. Nowadays, that seems to be the easiest way to get the attention of any company.

Reluctantly agree. Exhaust the options with the manager at that location then head on over to twitter and contact their corporate team. If no response, follow them and start posting comments on their posts. I have a very large corporation that would not rerun an email or a call. Started commenting on twitter posts and boom, they respond and my issue is resolved.

There is zero part of this that is acceptable. That is why I always leave the dnd tag on the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:42 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Bummer. I would have left a review on TripAdvisor, yelp etc

That or steal an entire cleaning cart on the way out and shampoo for free for a few years
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 02:59 PM   #10
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Tweet at corporate.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:23 PM   #11
Brainh18
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR, Sub
Any chance you would disclose the facility? I too travel frequently and had prescription meds taken out of my suitcase. Not cool.
Brainh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 03:55 PM   #12
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
I would have been kicking dust and taking names and phone numbers of upper management (above manager) before I left.
If it were me I would have asked before leaving who was on camera coming into and going from the room. Maybe there was more than the room maid?
I would have asked the manager to review tape and ask questions of his staff. And get back to me with his findings.
I would also have contacted head office, president - someone with more authority.
Would it be to your benefit to inform your company of your misfortune since if it has spent as much money as you say - they may have had other employees who you don't know have the same problem?
Out of principle, I would not let it pass. I cannot tolerate this type of behavior.
I hope you get resolution, sir. Good Luck.
OP
Tell them you are contacting Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce. Town Tourism office - but best to know what manager or company is going to do first. I would demand it be replaced or monetarily reimbursed, regardless of their policy of leaving items in the room. It will be cheaper for them to do this than all the business you are going discourage from staying there.

Is there any recourse with how you paid - complain to credit card company - but you would only know if appropriate;

Even if you think item is small, still report to police. Get case number, at least it will be documented that can be referred to when you talk to President of Company, etc.

Just thoughts for you above - some people find investigating a loss like this to be too time consuming, and end up dropping it as a bad experience - that's what the culprits want! and they will continue doing it to others.
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 05:02 PM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
forget the hotel to help - especially if its a licensee property.

i'd file a claim with my $350 single lost item provision on my cc as lost item during my trip. if you travel a lot on biz, you must have this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:19 PM   #14
THC

Watch: 16610M
plenty of great advice, CJ is spot on with both his points... good luck OP
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:27 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
There's a chance that they are still looking into it. With employees that work shifts etc., it may take a few days for them to talk to their staff.

Nevertheless I'd want to be dealing with hotel management at this point.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 11:06 PM   #16
nibbl3s
Banned

Thank you for the advice. I reached out to SPG on the Twitter so we will wait and see. I understand that it may take a while to investigate, but to not even hear from management in my mind is unacceptable. Only thing they have told me is that they are looking into a series of "missplaced" items by guests. Insulting.
Old 21 January 2017, 07:12 AM   #17
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
You might also put in a word with the hotel's sales department. If you and others were there on business; a word to them that your company is considering using another hotel in the future might light a fire from a different direction.

Most sales people depend on the commissions that high volume sales deliver. People tend to want to help out when their financial livelihoods are threatened.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 09:04 AM   #18
nibbl3s
Banned

TRF,

Am I taking the crazy pills here? Is this acceptable? As of 5 I have yet to hear from anyone other than this twitter bot. Posting the conversation staring with the response to my story Please forgive the sentence structure. Typing from my iPad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3837.jpg (36.8 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3835.jpg (54.9 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3839.jpg (61.2 KB, 346 views)
Old 21 January 2017, 09:28 AM   #19
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbl3s View Post
TRF,

Am I taking the crazy pills here? Is this acceptable? As of 5 I have yet to hear from anyone other than this twitter bot. Posting the conversation staring with the response to my story Please forgive the sentence structure. Typing from my iPad
you're doing better than most but seriously, what's your time worth? they're $170 and the iPad is safe. file a claim and make more $$$$$ on the clock. after all, would you want them back in your ears after someones had them a few days???
Old 21 January 2017, 09:34 AM   #20
nibbl3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
you're doing better than most but seriously, what's your time worth? they're $170 and the iPad is safe. file a claim and make more $$$$$ on the clock. after all, would you want them back in your ears after someones had them a few days???
I really have no where to file a claim. I use a corporate card for travel and I don't remember what card I even bought them with. They might have even been a gift

I get that they are $170 and it's not my watch, but I have been brooding about it now and it's more about the principle than anything. And I would much rather spend that money on a dinner with my girlfriend than having to repurchase something that was stolen from me.

I mean, if you were stolen from, out of your hotel room, I think you would feel the same, no?
Old 21 January 2017, 09:42 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
I really have no where to file a claim. I use a corporate card for travel and I don't remember what card I even bought them with. They might have even been a gift

I get that they are $170 and it's not my watch, but I have been brooding about it now and it's more about the principle than anything. And I would much rather spend that money on a dinner with my girlfriend than having to repurchase something that was stolen from me.

I mean, if you were stolen from, out of your hotel room, I think you would feel the same, no?
i've been a victim of theft -- i get your point.

good luck.
Old 21 January 2017, 09:47 AM   #22
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Forget twitter, and just call head office/corporate.

I'd also be annoyed, yes, but if I hadn't heard directly from management of the hotel, it's time to move up the ladder. Not media devices.

I'd also be aware that they are now gone (and would have the moment I realized I no longer had them), so my goal would be to make head office aware of my issue, my unhappiness with the lack of respect and response, and that my business will be moving elsewhere.. Aside from that, I'd be using my time worrying about what's 'really' importanant.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:08 AM   #23
swils8610

Terrible. Can't believe no response yet.

Old 21 January 2017, 10:22 AM   #24
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Well if you didn't lose them then they were stolen. Where I am, specifically, it is a petit larceny. If the person didn't have a legal right to be in that building it would possibly be a burglary. Just because it happened in a hotel doesn't mean you don't have the same rights as any other crime victim; you should be dealing with the police not management. You seem to be working under the suspicion that it is hotel staff. Obviously that's a likely possibility but there is also a chance it was another guest who gained access to you room or even a non-guest or possibly even an employee working with an outsider passing on room keys. What appears, to this point, to be a highly incompetent management team would be very unlikely to do anything if it is was a former guest or outside party. Even if it is an employee they are only going to take administrative action. What is your desired outcome? Because if your hoping the thief is charged criminally I certainly wouldn't leave that up to management. Ultimately it's up to you what you want to see happen here but me I'm always for pressing charges against thieves. And yes $170 is worth the effort because I'm willing to bet this isn't their first time.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:30 AM   #25
nibbl3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Forget twitter, and just call head office/corporate.

I'd also be annoyed, yes, but if I hadn't heard directly from management of the hotel, it's time to move up the ladder. Not media devices.

I'd also be aware that they are now gone (and would have the moment I realized I no longer had them), so my goal would be to make head office aware of my issue, my unhappiness with the lack of respect and response, and that my business will be moving elsewhere.. Aside from that, I'd be using my time worrying about what's 'really' importanant.
I appreciate the advice. This isn't all consuming, but I have just been flabbergasted at the lack response. I guess I try to hold others to a high standard as fluid and proper communication is vital to my employment.

I will be calling home office Monday and sending out a to whom it may concern letter to the exec emails regardless of mgmt action now.
Old 21 January 2017, 10:32 AM   #26
nibbl3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
Well if you didn't lose them then they were stolen. Where I am, specifically, it is a petit larceny. If the person didn't have a legal right to be in that building it would possibly be a burglary. Just because it happened in a hotel doesn't mean you don't have the same rights as any other crime victim; you should be dealing with the police not management. You seem to be working under the suspicion that it is hotel staff. Obviously that's a likely possibility but there is also a chance it was another guest who gained access to you room or even a non-guest or possibly even an employee working with an outsider passing on room keys. What appears, to this point, to be a highly incompetent management team would be very unlikely to do anything if it is was a former guest or outside party. Even if it is an employee they are only going to take administrative action. What is your desired outcome? Because if your hoping the thief is charged criminally I certainly wouldn't leave that up to management. Ultimately it's up to you what you want to see happen here but me I'm always for pressing charges against thieves. And yes $170 is worth the effort because I'm willing to bet this isn't their first time.
I just want compensation. I believe mgmt, now after this service failure, needs to be held accountable. I just don't know how the corporate structure of Starwood works or how much controls they have over individual franchises
Old 21 January 2017, 10:44 AM   #27
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
I just want compensation. I believe mgmt, now after this service failure, needs to be held accountable. I just don't know how the corporate structure of Starwood works or how much controls they have over individual franchises
Fair enough. Good luck
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:36 AM   #28
swils8610

No response from management is totally unacceptable.

Old 21 January 2017, 11:46 AM   #29
nibbl3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
No response from management is totally unacceptable.

I agree. I call and they are either away or will be back soon. It is time for corporate office
Old 21 January 2017, 05:19 PM   #30
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I understand the pain.
The $170 is peanuts, getting screwed hurts.

Call the head manager of the hotel, and if no resolution go to corporate. Best cast scenario they apologize and compensate. Worst case scenario they ignore you.

If it's worst case scenario, just take a deep breath and just remember it's only $170. Give them a bad yelp review and get on with your life.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote