The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2009, 10:10 PM   #91
Strut99GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-guy View Post
I find Rolex fascinating in terms of mechanics and design, but it's more than that - it's a result of a brilliant branding and marketing strategy. So, to me, it's not just a watch - it's a business model, a showcase of how to strategize and execute. Definitely worth it!
Agreed.

Although I couldn't disagree more with the "quality over quantity" comment in my case. I have a couple Omegas that are easily the same level of quality as Rolex. However, it's "not a Rolex," and as the poster above pointed out, the brand has executed itself well enough over the years, and the designs have stayed consistent enough, that I still must own one when I can afford it.
Strut99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2009, 11:24 PM   #92
fujisan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDDS
Once you are bitten by the Rolex Bug there may not be any turning back. Buying quality is enough peace of mind here champ.
fujisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 12:33 AM   #93
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
My Rolex's are worth more to me than the money they cost - simply because money in itself is worthless -

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 12:45 AM   #94
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Quality over quantity for me....
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 12:47 AM   #95
Thomas
Banned

I think it's hard to justify thousands of dollars for a wristwatch when one for
$25 will do, regardless of how much money a person has. I am fortunate to have 2 and my wife has one. I have others in my collection, mostly vintage pieces such as Girard-Perregaux, Omega, Hamilton, etc.. When I put one on, even for a day, it just doesn't "feel right" and about half way through the day
I develope "wearer's remorse" and wish I had put a Rolex on. The vntage Girard-Perregaux is a close second to my Rolex' and I actually do wear it often
but when I have it on I can certainly feel the difference.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 12:53 AM   #96
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
Thoughts?
Bama, with a White House?
You should get a US Army watch!
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 02:43 AM   #97
pz93c
"TRF" Member

I am a vintage kind of guy.

While old Omegas are generally cheaper and of equal or better quality, I currently own a 1968 DJ and no Omega.

The price was worth it to me but the history behind this particular piece is priceless.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 03:47 AM   #98
BlackpoolRolexCoaste

Watch: Blue sub & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
I wanted a Rolex for my 40th birthday and saved really hard so I could afford it. It now lives in my safe and when I want to feel special my Sub comes out.....fantastic !
However, I have since spent about a third of the money on an Omega and find that the cheaper watch has a better bracelet, better clasp, better lume and feels more comfortable on the wrist.
I wouldnt be without either, but I doubt I will be paying Rolex prices again.
Similar feelings. I have two Rolexes but will not buy another.

My next watch will be a two tone Constellation.

The Rolex marketing is superb but the product lags behind similar watches in terms of build quality.

The lume for instance, is pathetic on a watch of that price, regardless of model.

It's nice to say you've got / had a Rolex but for me it's "been there, done that".
BlackpoolRolexCoaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 04:13 AM   #99
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

I do find it fascinating reading all the different replies...I wonder how many of you would still rant about quality and it's not a brand thing if the name was changed to something like Timex or Casio. Would you all buy a new fangle ceramic gmt 3c if it was produced to the exact standards as a Rolex but with a Timex logo? I think not!
To some extent, it is a form of snobbery in all of us, it is just some of us try and make out we are not that type of materialistic person. If branding or material things didn't matter then Rolex wouldn't be in our lives. Because if we just wanted an accurate timepiece, we could pick up a quartz watch at the market that would keep better time than a mechanical Rolex.
I am not trying to kid anyone, I bought a Rolex because when I was a kid that was the watch to have, and for me it was only posh people that could have one, and I could never have one of those. And I finally got one when I could afford it. Its like a Rolls Royce, why would you want a Rolls when a Citroen does the same thing?
Bullyterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 04:45 AM   #100
surillious
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M / 16613
In response to the original question of whether a Rolex is always "worth" the price, my short answer is no. Most of the time a BNIB Rolex from an AD with no discount is not "worth" the price, in the same way that a new car purchased in similar fashion would not be worth the price.

If the hope is to break even or make money when sold, (whether it be cars, homes, or watches) knowing the market & what constitutes a good deal is key.

In the case of Rolex, I agree with the posters who recommended buying a 1-2 year old model. There are many good deals are out there, and a lot of the time these watches are nearly new! On top of that, since you're not paying the retail markup if you decide to flip the watch down the road, you will likely at worst break even.
surillious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 06:32 AM   #101
Zgar

Had an Omega SeaMaster Pro and sold it even though I liked it. it just didn't feel the same. I would not Trade My DSSD for 2 Omegas but I am pretty sure I will trade 2 Omegas for the DSSD
Zgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 11:28 AM   #102
rayt
"TRF" Member

Watch: must be rolex
you buy it coz you like it ,you can afford it and you are happy to have it.. thats my guiding principle.and yes rolex is worth it. ive tried other watches but the feeling i got from rolex is different,,i feel right about..more complete and sure with it..
rayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2009, 01:28 PM   #103
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I have 6, wife has 1. 2tone for xmas bought last night. 'nuf said
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2009, 03:29 PM   #104
Griever369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
its worth the price if you can afford it. if you have to get yourself into debt by getting a loan or on credit...then no.
I agree with you on that one Though it is pretty tempting to take a loan for it everytime you know there is gonna be a price increase.

Rolex Datejust 116231, Omega Deville GMT 4651.20.32, Rolex GMT 116713LN, Rolex GMT 16753, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Grand Seiko(LE) SBGM029, Rolex YM (Plat dial) 116622, Mont Blanc 107070, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV, Rolex Daytona(White dial) 116520, Black Shield (Red).
Griever369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2009, 09:22 PM   #105
j-geng
"TRF" Member

Dude honestly, its all in relation to personal preference and give or take, situation. What I mean is for the price of a SS submariner date, the alternative could be a Brietling Navitimer World, Omega PO Chrono each in their respect, is nice and would please anyone. Subjectively, and in hindsight having brought a PO 45mm first, then the SS Sub, I would have brought a Navitimer World instead...

Man, it all comes down to personal preference. If you think a SMP is a great substitute for XXXXX then go for it bro!!
j-geng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2009, 09:37 PM   #106
steelers
"TRF" Member

I really do not know if Rolex is worth the price. But the Sub sure make's me HAPPY!
steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2009, 10:08 PM   #107
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear View Post
Yeah, for working stiffs, Rolex is not a brand to be tossed around. I would not sell Rolex for another brand. We saved, and saved and saved for that submariner, SD, DJ....
THIS

I have had my GMT II Coke on layaway for nearly two months and will likely be a few more months before I can get it home. I will appreciate it that much more Im sure because of the waiting.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 12:16 AM   #108
K-R

For me, buying Rolex is just like buying Ferrari. I buy for the brand and quality.
Some much cheaper car like Nissan GTR can be faster than Ferrari. But, still, it is a Ferrari.
If there are Nissan GTR and Ferrari park together on a carpark, I am quiet sure people will
pay more attention to Ferrari rather than GTR, unless they are cars modificator.
This also applied to Rolex IMO
K-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 02:10 AM   #109
lexar
"TRF" Member

Its all in your mind... Quality is a perceived thing. Is quality accurate time? is quality complicated movement? is quality better materials? is quality the brand name?
A lot of watches fit in those categories.

I bought a Tag many years ago but in my mind thought a Rolex Sub would be "better" and although I could not put my finger on why I kept thinking that.
My friends bought Omega's and were perfectly satisfied with them but when I got my Sub they all said that they always wanted a Sub.

I think Rolex has mastered the "just enough quality" + Excellent Marketing + Association with Rich and Famous + Good pricing (higher then competition but low enough that it is still just in reach)

Although most people do not want to admit it very few care about the movement or the history so much to actually pay top dollar. I think the majority get a Rolex because it is instilled in them by Rolex that this is the watch that you should have if you want the best.
Whether that is true or not is another debate :)
lexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 02:21 AM   #110
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

n=3x+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post

Nail on head
Old 12 October 2009, 02:24 AM   #111
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

And, you won't

pay interest on the credit card.

Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
THIS

I have had my GMT II Coke on layaway for nearly two months and will likely be a few more months before I can get it home. I will appreciate it that much more Im sure because of the waiting.
Old 12 October 2009, 07:21 PM   #112
SubRem24
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-guy View Post
I find Rolex fascinating in terms of mechanics and design, but it's more than that - it's a result of a brilliant branding and marketing strategy. So, to me, it's not just a watch - it's a business model, a showcase of how to strategize and execute. Definitely worth it!
So right with that.
And as for the origin of Rolex, Wikepedia says that the name was simply made up.
SubRem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 10:59 PM   #113
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Everythiong we own out of basic necessities provide a different kind of worthiness. These days paople rarlwy use watches to know timwe becasue you have cell phone, tv boxes and almost everyhting has clock attached to it. So luxury watches is party of the luxury we enjoy. So whatever value we give it is its worthiness. Even the fakes contribute to it. Wehn you desire to wear a rolex and can't afford it you might buy a fake but as soon as you have enough money you will buy the real thing.
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 08:05 AM   #114
ahmadadnan
"TRF" Member

Very interesting read. I just want to say that I had not heard much about Rolex until recently. So when I needed a watch I was in the mindset that I want to buy what suits my lifestyle (classy tech), looks good on me and lastly was a good brand. I didn't have any childhood fantasies of buying a Rolex or had to prove to anyone that I own a Rolex. Most people around me don't even know what a Rolex costs or if it is any different than a Seiko.

After my watch search, the only watch that really looked good on me was the Rolex Sub. It just fit beautifully and looked elegant and classy without being too flashy. And I didnt need to worry about build quality or problems with Rolex. Even the other Rolexes didnt suit me as good as the Sub. But when I found out the price, I was shocked! It took me time some time to think about it. But I just knew it that any other watch would not look as good and make me happy.

Now I am a happy owner of a Sub and hope to enjoy it for a long time without any regrets. The worst feeling is buying something and then always regretting that you should have gotten the better one. Thankfully, I wont have to live with that! I think it is totally worth it!
ahmadadnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 08:10 AM   #115
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I'm with you on this one..

It was a stretch when I got my first Rolex.. I tried to wear others and keep that Sub nice and unspoiled in the box....but noting felt the same either physically or where it really counts...mentally.

Once you've had one on your wrist for a while the world around you is a different place..You feel like this is the right decision and an indicator of good things to come..

That was 4 decades ago, and I havn't been without one since...
Well said, Larry. I don't know if I could have articulated it that well.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 08:47 AM   #116
Double_J
"TRF" Member

Rolexes are definitely worth the spend if you can afford them without sacrificing important things elsewhere (e.g., house, food, etc.). Not worth it if you have to go into debt or will be constantly worrying about paying it off a CC balance.

If you've ever been worried about having to sell your watch because you need day-to-day cash you should not have a Rolex (major circumstances and habitual flippers not included in this last sentence).

Living within your means means that you can comfortably afford the things you buy. Just being able to get an AD to let you walk out of the store with the watch on your wrist does not mean you can afford it.
Double_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 08:48 AM   #117
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
No they probably arn't worth it, but neither is a Bently worth 10 times more than an ordinary family saloon car. It is perceived image and market branding and the exclusivity that you are wearing a watch that is instantly recognisable, that you probably have money and like the nice things in life. I, by the way do not have a lot of money am 60 and have loved Rolex watches since i was about 10. The love of my life. My wife is not a watch person but she said she would wear a Rolex as some of the doctors in the hospital wear them ! I will buy her one someday.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 08:55 AM   #118
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
I recently tried on an Omega Planet Ocean.

There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that one Submariner is physically & literally worth TWO P.O.'s.

BUT......!!

The feeling that I get when wearing a Rolex is worth more than FIVE Planet Oceans.

It's like that three-pointed star at the end of a Mercedes bonnet....

It's like a little reminder to me after even the sh*ttiest of days that
"Hey..... Today hasn't been so bad after all".

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:05 PM   #119
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Whatever happened to Bama?
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 02:12 PM   #120
Speed
"TRF" Member

My Rolex Sport watches are COMPLETELY worth what I paid - to me!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote