The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 December 2008, 02:39 AM   #1
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Triplock vs. Omega SMP Crown vs. Twinlock

I'm hoping to solicit some discussion on the subject of crowns. I love the heft and ease of using the Triplock crown on my Submariner, and we've seen the amazing security of its design by its use in not only the Submariner, but also in the SD and now the DS (is the design the same in the DS?). As such, it's definitely overkill in watches of lower depth ratings, including the Yachtmaster, Daytona and new GMT's.

The Twinlock is also a proven design, and while manipulating its crown may be more tedious for those of us with larger hands, we're rewarded with a far more comfortable crown that doesn't dig into our wrists (left hand wearers) the way the Triplock crown does. However, I find that the Twinlock crown on my Explorer II sometimes unscrews, which never happens on my Submariner's Triplock.

Which brings me to my Omega Seamaster Crown. Its size is between that of the Twinlock and Triplock making manipulation fairly easy, is obviously watertight to at LEAST 300m/1000ft (or more if we're talking the PO), and it is more comfortable on my wrist than the Triplock. While I've seen several diagrams showing the Triplock, and Twinlock crowns, I've never seen a cutaway or in depth description of the SMP crown, which I think would be the best balance for a watch like my Explorer II.

Talk amongst yourselves!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i too have had my twinlock work it's way untight - but then again, i don't wrench mine down.
screw-down crowns have become overkill for me, i prefer watches that don't have them. but i guess it's part and parcel of owning an oyster.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 03:28 AM   #3
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
i too have had my twinlock work it's way untight - but then again, i don't wrench mine down.
screw-down crowns have become overkill for me, i prefer watches that don't have them. but i guess it's part and parcel of owning an oyster.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 03:30 AM   #4
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
My Expy crown has never come open on its own.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 03:33 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for starting up this interesting thread, David.

Must admit, I love the TRIPLOCK feel, comfort and ease of grip and handling. Love also the additional waterproofing security that comes along with it.

I do find the TWINLOCK a bit fiddly with my large fingers; never had an issue with the SMP crown; but the TRIPLOCK is still the best.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 05:39 AM   #6
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Thanks for the replies guys - soliciting more!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I like the larger Triplock crown for ease of handling. But I don't find Twinlocks particularly hard to handle and I like the way that the crown fits snugly into the guards. I think the key factor is that they are both well engineered.

Cheers
Old 20 December 2008, 11:02 PM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
I like the larger Triplock crown for ease of handling. But I don't find Twinlocks particularly hard to handle and I like the way that the crown fits snugly into the guards. I think the key factor is that they are both well engineered.

Cheers
Well said. I've never had a problem with the twinlock, but I was extremely happy when Rolex went to the triplock on the GMT.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'm a big fan of the triplock. It's so comfortable to use and you get comfort from it's size. The SmP on my GMT is too small for a comfortable wind. I did a quick search but can't find a schematic of the SmP 300 crown. I'm sure it's perfectly fine but I never liked the wobble on the stem of a twinlock.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote