The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2023, 03:11 AM   #61
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Might be time for you to pick up some scraps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahaha yes

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 03:30 AM   #62
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
This dude claims that he had to sell his white gold jumbo because of his nickname The RYG Man but phonetically The WRYG Man is the same so he’s either stupid or loose with the truth.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 03:46 AM   #63
kb866
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15416CE
Quote:
This dude claims that he had to sell his white gold jumbo because of his nickname The RYG Man but phonetically The WRYG Man is the same so he’s either stupid or loose with the truth.

Blame his stylist....
kb866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 04:15 AM   #64
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Mad how he didn’t even speak to his SA first
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 04:24 AM   #65
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
I understand his frustration, however he had to know what this was about all the time. And while they allocated some of the hottest pieces to him, he of course couldn't be bothered. He talks about his LOVE for AP while all there is on the table are Royal Oaks that everybody is longing for.

Also crying about having to pay for everything else beside flight and accomodation reg. that event in Japan is a little too much for me.
This. AP did the right thing.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 05:18 AM   #66
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Okay.... I am a little undecided after watching the video.
Few months ago, I did mention that AP were biased towards celebrities and that they get a free pass to all the good stuffs (all AP are good, just some are more equal).
Sunny isn't exactly a Taiwan A-lister celebrity (ask any Taiwanese), yet he got an 88 piece China LE QP.....
He started the video by mentioning that he's BLACKLISTED because he sold 2 WATCHES, and those 2 watches ARE SPECIAL WATCHES. WG Double balanced wheel and China LE QP.
Most of us here can only dream of those 2 allocations.
That's a positive sign that AP is taking the right steps to correct the perception of bias - that even though one is a celebrity, they are held to the same standards which is flip a watch and out you go! That's correct and should be commended!

On the other hand, if Sunny is blacklisted for selling a piece after 2 years for another AP (as he stated), what's is AP's rule for Mr Chu for running a wide open grey dealership?
So one is allowed to sell brand new watches like these: (https://wristcheck.com/buy/audemars-...reen-dial/1478) - note the rotor isn't a 50th anniversary, hence likely to be sold in 2023, and another guy can't sell a watch to spice up his collection?

So the prodigal son of AP can aid flipping and make a commission out of it, while others are regulated by rules and can’t act freely, even after passing the mandatory 2 year warranty period?

Austen chu seems like a cool guy and I like his IG but the fact that he is a grey dealer but also a VIP of AP seems a bit ridiculous but what can I say that’s the watch world for you

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 05:24 AM   #67
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
One truth is that brands are run by people and people sometimes act like semigods because situation right now is that they have the power to get or not to get allocation of luxury good that in reality no one needs... and we are all a little guilty for that...

On other hand, this collector who cries about having to pay to go to events, loosing a sleep etc looks like the thing he is bothered the most is that he is not getting signature Francoise Brokeback Mountain hugs from the back like some other collectors....

Lolololol brokeback Mountain hugs hahahhahaha

You are a legend sir

Old 21 June 2023, 05:29 AM   #68
edo
"TRF" Member

Austen is special guy to AP CEO so he can do whatever he wants. For Francoise he was the role model of new collectors and to be fair Austen brought a bunch of rich Asian kids with unlimited money to AP... unfortunately, some of them are just like a guy from the video...

And even before Austen brought anything to the table, AP allowed him to design the 88 limited Perpetual and host an even... ok, design... guy literally changed the color of the week hand....

And not long after that, he got piece unique Perpetual calendar. Full openwork in steel, the watch we still miss in a regular AP production and one that will be like one of the most popular 39mm perpetuals (openwork in steel, platinum and TT)
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 05:33 AM   #69
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Fact #1: The AP watches you buy are 100% yours to do whatever the flying fart you want.
Fact #2: AP can decide to to do whatever it wants to do with its watches. They can incorporate resale information into their decision making process.
Fact #3: Unless you talk to AP, you don't know and are unable to make decisions accordingly.
Fact #4: This is math. If you are buying 3-4 watches at an ASP of $100k and the required holding period is 3 years. Be prepared to be be holding $900k to $1.2M in capital tied up in watches even if you liquidate them on a first in and first out basis. If you are greedy and overextend yourself that is completely your fault. Slow down and don't give into the FOMO.
Opinion: Getting blacklisted could be the best thing to purge us of the addiction :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 05:44 AM   #70
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Austen chu seems like a cool guy and I like his IG but the fact that he is a grey dealer but also a VIP of AP seems a bit ridiculous but what can I say that’s the watch world for you

Nice to sit on both sides of the table
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 06:05 AM   #71
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think this is a very dangerous precedent that AP is setting - one rule for him and another set of rules for others. It was thought that Wristcheck would mainly dabble in discontinued pieces, but now as per the link given, barely 6 month old 15510ST green dial is appearing on the site. That’s a massive slap in the face to AP if they are serious in combating rampant flipping. A similar analogy I can think of is how Boris wanted everybody to stay at home and isolate during Covid, while he was having parties with his mates.

I foresee that some very rich and prolific AP collectors (like Sunny) are going to be pissed when they don’t get the “Horoloupe” treatment of being able to have the cake and eat it too, and the discontent would grow from there…. People would start to question - why is he special and why aren’t we? Especially when they have spent a lot of money too with AP.

Rules are great if they are enforce equally, or else we might as well just use the wheel of fortune to choose someone to penalise.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 06:09 AM   #72
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think this is a very dangerous precedent that AP is setting - one rule for him and another set of rules for others. It was thought that Wristcheck would mainly dabble in discontinued pieces, but now as per the link given, barely 6 month old 15510ST green dial is appearing on the site. That’s a massive slap in the face to AP if they are serious in combating rampant flipping. I foresee that some very rich and prolific AP collectors (like Sunny) are going to be pissed when they don’t get the “Horoloupe” treatment of being able to have the cake and eat it too, and the discontent would grow from there…. People would start to question - why is he special and why aren’t we? Especially when they have spent a lot of money too with AP.

Rules are great if they are enforce equally, or else we might as well just use the wheel of fortune to choose someone to penalise.
I don't really see why one should conflate the two issues. That Sunny dude sold his own allocations. Horoloupe sells pre-owned APs (including from our very own Conkers, IIRC). I agree that optics with Horoloupe isn't great, but I don't see "very rich and prolific AP collectors" asking why they can't become used watch dealers as well - they can, unless they start selling their own allocations.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 06:23 AM   #73
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Smh so these kinds of guys are getting allocations but actual enthusiasts like us aren’t? It’s frustrating as someone who is genuinely passionate about collecting/the brand and have nothing to show for it after 3 years of trying.

He definitely doesn’t leave a good impression, and airing this all out in public before having a proper sit down is not the right move imo.

Have no problem with AP banning flippers - how else can they put a damper on the backpack flippers? And it benefits those truly interested in watches. Now, the conflict comes when an SA pushes you toward a piece you don’t want to buy. But still, it looks like many people have been able to build an AP collection without buying unwanted pieces.

As far as Austen goes - I don’t know much about him apart from his socials that I’ve been following over the past few years. Seems like a cool, business-minded guy. Relationships are everything, and I’m sure he had FHBs blessing with wristcheck, or else they wouldn’t still be so tight/cohost the design competition.
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 06:36 AM   #74
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I don't really see why one should conflate the two issues. That Sunny dude sold his own allocations. Horoloupe sells pre-owned APs (including from our very own Conkers, IIRC). I agree that optics with Horoloupe isn't great, but I don't see "very rich and prolific AP collectors" asking why they can't become used watch dealers as well - they can, unless they start selling their own allocations.
If you rewatch the video posted by Sunny, in the beginning (minute 1:50 to 3:00 he stated he was given cold shoulder (no allocation) by AP for 1.5 years when he started Empire watch club and advertised a friend’s AP chronograph to help him sell it (without claiming any commission whatsoever if he’s to be believed….), so how is this any different to what Wristcheck and Horoloupe is doing? However, the outcome couldn’t be more different between the two.

I’m not saying Horoloupe can’t be involved in the secondary Watch market. But I think as an AP pseudo-ambassador/ poster boy, it would have been better if Wristcheck stayed out of AP, and focus on Rolex, PP and RM. Like you said, the optics are not great…. I get that it’s not his own allocation, but as AP gets stricter towards flippers, it’s really bad to see their VIP making a profit from other people flipping their AP when he should toe the AP line and encourage NO FLIPPING.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 07:34 AM   #75
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

LMAO
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 08:21 AM   #76
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
I’m positive there’s whole other side to this “story” and it’s probably far closer to the truth.

Despite his virtue signalling he still landed a 16202OR (allegedly) so boo hoo on the VIP in crowd let down.

And as for his douche bag comments on the AP invitation/trip that, shock horror, excluded his stylist (talk about an ego rub) that’s the icing on the cake here.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 08:37 AM   #77
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Yeah cringy to watch the whole video... but his YT titled asked should he sell his whole AP watch collection and it is probably a good idea to do so ��
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 08:51 AM   #78
dmash
"TRF" Member

Hold on, I missed the whole part about the stylist, I just heard about him and his wife. Wow, unreal
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 09:35 AM   #79
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Austen probably ran it by AP first. Its not a double standard to have a relationship with AP and actually talk and collaborate. Austen doesn't sell his pieces...

Eric Ku is a famous vintage dealer and I see him get a ton of nice APs..

Quote:
I think this is a very dangerous precedent that AP is setting - one rule for him and another set of rules for others. It was thought that Wristcheck would mainly dabble in discontinued pieces, but now as per the link given, barely 6 month old 15510ST green dial is appearing on the site. That’s a massive slap in the face to AP if they are serious in combating rampant flipping. A similar analogy I can think of is how Boris wanted everybody to stay at home and isolate during Covid, while he was having parties with his mates.

I foresee that some very rich and prolific AP collectors (like Sunny) are going to be pissed when they don’t get the “Horoloupe” treatment of being able to have the cake and eat it too, and the discontent would grow from there…. People would start to question - why is he special and why aren’t we? Especially when they have spent a lot of money too with AP.

Old 21 June 2023, 09:37 AM   #80
Armis
"TRF" Member

To Vogel’s previous point, I do wonder how much these types of issues will change with the new CEO, if at all. My initial thought is that a number of these policy-defined “relationships” with the brand will persist because they are protective of the brand. As far as FHB’s cult of personality (not a negative thing) and the relationships cultivated with select collectors, this is not something that automatically transfers over with new leadership. Do I expect CEO Resta to be hanging out with Chu? I honestly don’t know. She can certainly leverage Chu by doing an interview at some point in order to show she’s connected with the young hip generation of collectors. How about playing golf with Cheadle? Hmmm, not sure, maybe. Ultimately, it will be interesting and fun to watch…and learn.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 09:56 AM   #81
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol. I love it.
Kilometerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 10:21 AM   #82
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb866 View Post
Blame his stylist....
His media team let him say all of this?!!!
Old 21 June 2023, 10:26 AM   #83
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Long video which I listened to passively while doing other important stuff. Don’t recall at any point when I was on this ‘celebrity’s’ side. To sell that China edition perp calendar blows my mind, and I can totally understand AP’s frustration - limited edition pieces should be the jewel of anyone’s collection, and kept stubbornly. I don’t care how your tastes shift in the future, when a LE is allocated to you and you’d at yes, that timepiece is entrusted to you.

Ultimately, the owner has maximum freedom to do what they want with the timepiece, but similarly the Brand has maximum freedom to sell to whoever they want. The entitled behavior of wanting the best of both worlds makes me nauseated.

If modern day social media celebrities are that wealthy, just buy pieces instead of exchanging!! I mean you should be that wealthy enough if you aspire to be in the “inner circle”.

Also, to HMHM’s point, I’m glad celebs aren’t getting preferential treatment. It speaks a lot of AP’s morals. In fact, I would have been totally put off by AP if they let this one slide.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 10:35 AM   #84
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I have heard the holding period for these limited pieces is 3 years. Anyone can validate this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
Long video which I listened to passively while doing other important stuff. Don’t recall at any point when I was on this ‘celebrity’s’ side. To sell that China edition perp calendar blows my mind, and I can totally understand AP’s frustration - limited edition pieces should be the jewel of anyone’s collection, and kept stubbornly. I don’t care how your tastes shift in the future, when a LE is allocated to you and you’d at yes, that timepiece is entrusted to you.

Ultimately, the owner has maximum freedom to do what they want with the timepiece, but similarly the Brand has maximum freedom to sell to whoever they want. The entitled behavior of wanting the best of both worlds makes me nauseated.

If modern day social media celebrities are that wealthy, just buy pieces instead of exchanging!! I mean you should be that wealthy enough if you aspire to be in the “inner circle”.

Also, to HMHM’s point, I’m glad celebs aren’t getting preferential treatment. It speaks a lot of AP’s morals. In fact, I would have been totally put off by AP if they let this one slide.
Old 21 June 2023, 12:27 PM   #85
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Austen probably ran it by AP first. Its not a double standard to have a relationship with AP and actually talk and collaborate. Austen doesn't sell his pieces...

Eric Ku is a famous vintage dealer and I see him get a ton of nice APs..

Lol I see no problem here ;) lol lol

Big difference between vintage and the below if you ask me ;) but whatever

Old 21 June 2023, 01:05 PM   #86
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol I see no problem here ;) lol lol

Big difference between vintage and the below if you ask me ;) but whatever
LoupeThis (Eric Ku) auctioned a steel openworked RO in February and a ceramic perpetual calendar last November, and a few other recent ROs/ROCs. Not exactly what I'd call vintage either (although I have not seen freshly flipped watches on there).

I maintain there's a distinction between people who work with AP (Austin Chu, Ku or some of the TRF crowd) and those who try to play them (our friend Sunny).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 02:37 PM   #87
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Actually the Titanium PC was always destined to be sold due to how he forms his nickname The RYG man, let’s face it, who wants to be known as The TIT man.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 03:22 PM   #88
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually the Titanium PC was always destined to be sold due to how he forms his nickname The RYG man, let’s face it, who wants to be known as The TIT man.

DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 03:42 PM   #89
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Love it!
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2023, 07:23 PM   #90
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Taiwanese AP Collector got banned and sharing his story

As entitled as this idiot is, my guess is AP will extend an olive branch. Doing business in Taiwan is a little different than elsewhere. Pissing off the right (or wrong) family hurts business.

I don’t see AP prolonging this drama. This mofo is probly getting the next Green Lantern LE.
JettyOne is online now   Reply With Quote