The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2024, 01:00 PM   #1
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Icon5 Considering first Omega.

Considering buying my first Omega. Looking at the black dial Moonwatch on bracelet.

Overall, is the sapphire version or hesalite version more desirable? I understand the sapphire has the display clear back, and the hesalite has the solid back with the text. In that area, I believe I like both equally.

Is one version easier to get than the other?
Lightsped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 01:54 PM   #2
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Sapphire all the way for me. Hesalite scratches too easily and it would annoy me.
Old 27 May 2024, 04:36 PM   #3
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
Sapphire all the way for me. Hesalite scratches too easily and it would annoy me.
I agree with you. Sapphire all the way
Old 27 May 2024, 04:05 PM   #4
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Hesalite for me all day. Prefer the purity of it as well as the all-brushed bracelet.

Both easy to find at a discount.

Don’t pay MSRP!!!

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 04:05 PM   #5
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Both are a great watches and neither are hard to get. Cant go wrong! I prefer the sapphire variant

Consider the new white one as well, but then you will need to wait a little longer.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 04:24 PM   #6
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Some differences with the bracelet as well OP. Sapphire has some inboard polishing and looks a little fancier.

If you are drawn to the watch because of it’s history, go with the hesalite and save some money. If it’s just looks, I think most would prefer the Sapphire because of the open case back, raised dial logo, anf the aforementioned bracelet.

Also, I would look at reputable pre owned sellers at the moment. Rumor has it a lot of black dial Speedy owners are selling to finance the new white dial latest and greatest.

I would guess you could buy a like new sapphire black dial with plenty of warranty for a little over 5K. That beats the RRP of 8K plus tax by a long shot.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 08:51 PM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Many threads here and on other fora have discussed this, but they're not the easiest threads to find using the search functions. I'll save you the trouble: preferences of enthusiasts like us land ~50/50 on the Sapphire vs Hesalite debate.

Hesalite enthusiasts point to the way light plays through the crystal and onto the dial. Those who choose the sapphire version, well, I don't know what they're thinking

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 10:00 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Either/or is the way to go. Personal preference. I would buy the 3861 model on the bracelet for the upgraded movement and the bracelet. If you want to save a little then look at the 1861/1863 models. Good luck and let us know what you decide. I own the 1861 and the black and white dial 3861.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240318_114358 (002).jpg (67.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20240330_120827 (002).jpg (72.7 KB, 171 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 11:02 PM   #9
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
No wrong choice. I prefer the sapphire to admire the movement and way more scratch resistant than a hesalite crystal.
Good luck!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 11:54 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
No wrong choice. I prefer the sapphire to admire the movement and way more scratch resistant than a hesalite crystal.
Good luck!
Sapphire camp here as well
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 11:11 PM   #11
Gregdaytona997
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Either one, get the one you want. You want a bit of a more vintage feel, get the hesalite, if you don’t want to worry about scratches, get the sapphire.
Gregdaytona997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM   #12
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I have the hesalite, but am in the “either/or” camp. The flatness of the crystal and the subtle pop of the applied Omega symbol look great on the ‘sapphire sandwich’.

(The hesalite crystal itself is not so delicate, and any scratches are easily polished out at home with a bit of ‘polyWatch’ on a cloth.)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #13
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
Considering buying my first Omega. Looking at the black dial Moonwatch on bracelet.

Overall, is the sapphire version or hesalite version more desirable? I understand the sapphire has the display clear back, and the hesalite has the solid back with the text. In that area, I believe I like both equally.

Is one version easier to get than the other?
Don't worry about "easier to get". Buy what you like firstly. However, for Omega everything is available at the AD. Expect the Silver Snoopy or the Calibre 321.

From my time with the Moonwatch at the AD. I would go for the sapphire sandwich due to the polish bracelet centre links, durability and the see through caseback. I also really like the way it looks on the nylon strap.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #14
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Get a sapphire now, and you’ll eventually want a vintage one, which will be a hesalite.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Get a sapphire now, and you’ll eventually want a vintage one, which will be a hesalite.
Interesting viewpoint. I like this approach
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #16
Cru Jones

The modern Speedmaster closest to the version that went on the moon is the 321 not the 3861 models, so, personally, I don’t think the “romanticism” of the 3861’s hesalite being “more vintage” holds much water. Even if it’s true that a hesalite crystal went on the moon, not sapphire.

Also, given the ease of removing crystal scratches using polywatch, I don’t durability of the crystal is an issue for either model. And remember: the hesalite crystal is the one that into space, so it’s plenty durable.

So, when thinking about hesalite vs. sapphire for the black 3861, I tend to consider which elements I like best: the hesalite’s all-brushed bracelet, warmer feel of the crystal and absence of milky ring, or the sapphire’s polished bits on the bracelet, view of the movement and raised dial logo. In addition to all that, I simply think about which version I think looks best.

For me, after all that , it’s the sapphire version. But no wrong choice of course.

Good luck with your choice!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #17
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i got the one of the last 1863. i am very satisfied with it. i went with this one over the 3861 because it was the generation of the moonwatch.

i consider the modern one as a different watch. besides it has been around since 1999 and worked fine all these years
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote