The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Closed Thread

Old 16 April 2011, 01:50 AM   #1
gasman94
"TRF" Member

Beware Faingator not a great seller

I just purchased a Rolex GMT II from Richard Fain (Faingator / Bengals31). While the watch was not quite as cosmetically nice has he described, the biggest issue was the watch is running fast at 23+ sec/day. He stated the watch was running +2 sec/day. When I contacted him less than 24 hrs after ownership with my concerns, he was dismissive. I informed him I would like to return the watch (I would pay return shipping) and have him refund my money. He has refused. He stated that I must get a Rolex Service Center to state in writing that the watch is "not mechanically sound" and "not mechanically working properly" before he would allow me to return the watch. The watch was not as described and he refuses to refund my money without having me jump through a series of hoops.

I went off of all the good reports on this site before buying. He packages well, ships promptly and was very responsive until we had a problem. If you don't have any hiccups, I guess he may be a good seller. Good luck if you have any issues with your watch after it arrives. I am happy to forward his email responses to anyone who is thinking about buying from him.

Gasman
Old 16 April 2011, 06:58 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Did the for sale advert warrant that the watch was keeping good time?

The seller possibly should have stated his "returns policy" if he intended the agreement to put onerous obligations upon the buyer.

Anyway let's hear from the seller.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 16 April 2011, 07:02 AM   #3
MonBK
Banned

If the watch is to your liking besides the 23 sec. fast, have it regulated and ask him to pay for it??
Old 16 April 2011, 08:35 AM   #4
gasman94
"TRF" Member

To respond to some of the comments/questions:
1. The ad stated the watch was "Keeping time well within COSC accuracy standards". When specifically asked via email, his response was "Keeping time at +2 seconds per day". When I brought up the poor time keeping to him, he stated ""If 10 different people time it I believe they get 10 different opinions on time." Now, I am certainly no expert, but I can set a watch to an atomic clock and look back later to see if it is almost half a minute ahead.

2. There is no mention of all sales final in his ad. However, to be fair, there is also no mention of a 3 day evaluation and return if unsatisfied either. I do agree, if his return policy is to require the seller to ship the watch to RSC for evaluation prior to him taking the watch back, he should let the buyer know.

3. The watch was not as described on a number of levels. I realize I am buying a used watch and expect there to be a few scuffs etc. However, when I specifically asked about the crystal, case and bezel, his response was "Bezel, crystal, case are perfect. Bracelet is in 95% condition." If you describe it as perfect, I would expect it to be blemish free. There was a small ding on one lug, a pinpoint ding in the bezel at the 12 marker and a small scratch on the bezel. If he had disclosed that, I would have been fine with it. However, he did not. The bigger issue was the watch running 23+ sec fast per day. That combined with the above, soured me to the seller as a whole. The watch was not in the condition he described.

4. I was actually going to suggest to Richard that we split the cost of regulation as I could deal with the imperfections since they were minor. However, his responses were such that I had honestly lost faith in the seller and simply wanted my money back. When I requested to return the watch. His response was "I will accept the GMT back only if in writting the rolex service center states the GMT is not mechanically working properly. A regulation or watch service recommendation does not mean the watch isn't mechanically sound. I have already stated I stand by my intial assessment of the GMT."

The quotes above have been pulled from his ad on TZ and his emails to me. I don't think I have pulled anything out of context, however I would be happy to forward the entire email exchange to anyone interested.
Old 16 April 2011, 12:01 PM   #5
mjm800
"TRF" Member

gasman94 I had the something like this happen to me. I bought a watch it was described as running perfectly, turns out it needed a complete service from an RSC. It began to run fast almost as soon as I got it, I took it in to an AD the guy did a bench test came back and said something is seriously wrong with this watch. (I can laugh now)

I did not say anything to the seller and decided to let it slide as I was able to get the price down a bit thinking I might have to have it serviced since the watch was over 10 years old. In the end I figured that I bought it, it was not brand new, so it's a gamble. Now the watch is running great, polished and looks brand new.

I hope it works out for you I feel like I should have said something I'm glad you did.
Old 16 April 2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
It's hard to know, maybe the watch got magnetized during shipping somehow. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Sorry to hear about the issues though, I hope things get resolved.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Old 16 April 2011, 12:05 PM   #7
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
gasman94 .. I hope everything works out for you .. Sorry to hear about you're bad experience
Old 16 April 2011, 12:34 PM   #8
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
OP, I understand where you are coming from, and it may be that the seller leaves something to be desired. Hopefully it's just a simple and inexpensive matter of regulating the watch.
Old 16 April 2011, 01:04 PM   #9
MonBK
Banned

Now where is the sellers response?

So far and by just hearing one side of the story my symphaty lies with the buyer.
Old 16 April 2011, 01:09 PM   #10
AlexGmail
Banned

next time buy it from a real dealer..how hard's that?

Last edited by sleddog; 16 April 2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Unhelpful & rude!
Old 16 April 2011, 01:11 PM   #11
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGmail View Post
next time buy it from a real dealer..how hard's that?
Now what kind of reply is that.
Old 16 April 2011, 01:14 PM   #12
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Waiting to hear response from seller. If true, I would not be pleased to get a watch that was not as described, running way fast, and then receive it with blemishes. I've bought two watches on here and they came to me in even better condition than described in the ad (from mastermixer). That's the way it should be.
Old 16 April 2011, 01:15 PM   #13
AlexGmail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Now what kind of reply is that.
hey..it is what it is..like it or not...
Old 16 April 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
I don't like it at all.

That's not the way to help a member in trouble.
Old 16 April 2011, 01:22 PM   #15
AlexGmail
Banned

Quote:
I don't like it at all.
no problem...it doesn't make me mad..don't worry
Old 16 April 2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Posting rude replies to a warning/heads up post is uncalled for and not what the forum is about.
How about being helpful or just not posting at all in the thread?
To the OP, I hope it works out for you.

十人十色
Old 16 April 2011, 01:35 PM   #17
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I am very sorry to hear of this situation and I as well would like to hear from the seller. TRF is such a great place and there is no room for this.

Again, it is likely just a regulation HOWEVER being that it was stated it was running within COSC specs and it clearly is NOT, this is UNACCEPTABLE IMO. If the seller offered to split the regulation, apologized or the like then I could understand however this does not appear to be the case

I have purchased and sold about 20-30 Rolex watches here on the forum back and forth between 2 VERY WELL KNOWN (Tony/Oscar) sellers here on TRF and NEVER had an issue. In fact one of these sellers even shipped me a watch to try for a few days WITHOUT payment (THANKS OSCAR)(mind you this is after dozens of successful deals so dont get the wrong idea here). There are great people here and news like this is very disturbing.

I would like to hear from the seller rather quickly here as stating you need a letter stating the watch is not functioning properly is rediculous especially from a RSC... come on

Hope this gets worked out for you, I would want it remedied very soon
Old 16 April 2011, 01:35 PM   #18
AlexGmail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I just purchased a Rolex GMT II from Richard Fain (Faingator / Bengals31). While the watch was not quite as cosmetically nice has he described, the biggest issue was the watch is running fast at 23+ sec/day. He stated the watch was running +2 sec/day. When I contacted him less than 24 hrs after ownership with my concerns, he was dismissive. I informed him I would like to return the watch (I would pay return shipping) and have him refund my money. He has refused. He stated that I must get a Rolex Service Center to state in writing that the watch is "not mechanically sound" and "not mechanically working properly" before he would allow me to return the watch. The watch was not as described and he refuses to refund my money without having me jump through a series of hoops.

I went off of all the good reports on this site before buying. He packages well, ships promptly and was very responsive until we had a problem. If you don't have any hiccups, I guess he may be a good seller. Good luck if you have any issues with your watch after it arrives. I am happy to forward his email responses to anyone who is thinking about buying from him.

Gasman
Gasman..you did good posting here about that bad experience. It will be heads up for other buyers from that guy..that is good..

I am sorry you're going through this trouble, with the watch you liked and sorry you are going through so much trouble to get your hard earned money..

I hope you can resolve this and get the money back..maybe you can get into an agreement with him, and suggest to him that going through all the loops he wants you to go may cost money..which you will be requiring him to pay upon confirmation that watch is indeed not working properly?

Hope this helps, and hope you resolve the issue..I too hate bad deals and people with no honor...the World is full of them

Alex
Old 16 April 2011, 01:40 PM   #19
AlexGmail
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Posting rude replies to a warning/heads up post is uncalled for and not what the forum is about.
How about being helpful or just not posting at all in the thread?
To the OP, I hope it works out for you.
now that I have helped the OP as much as I could in my humble possibilities..why are you posting this to me??

are you and the other member the post police? A forum is for sharing opinions..simple..you don't agree you say so..don't have to like it or not..

My reply was not rude..the gent "warning" me was rude before me..posting that dummy moving thingy hammering heady thingy..

now I took offense to your post...that is not what the forum is about either..(note absence of emoticons on purpose)
Old 16 April 2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
now that I have helped the OP as much as I could in my humble possibilities..why are you posting this to me??

are you and the other member the post police? A forum is for sharing opinions..simple..you don't agree you say so..don't have to like it or not..

My reply was not rude..the gent "warning" me was rude before me..posting that dummy moving thingy hammering heady thingy..

now I took offense to your post...that is not what the forum is about either..(note absence of emoticons on purpose)
My post occurred several minutes before your recent change of heart post, in reply to your earlier unhelpful, and IMHO, disrespectful post.
I'm not a mod, but I will feel free to point out the increasing number of unkind posts that are occurring on this forum. Do you really think that telling the OP to "
next time buy it from a real dealer..how hard's that?" is helpful?
Seems like a kick while he is down, something that another member already pointed out to you.
Feel free to be offended by my pointing this out to you. This forum will only be better with the membership policing itself and drawing attention to disrespectful posts.

十人十色
Old 16 April 2011, 01:59 PM   #21
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.brian View Post
my post occurred several minutes before your recent change of heart post, in reply to your earlier unhelpful, and imho, disrespectful post.
I'm not a mod, but i will feel free to point out the increasing number of unkind posts that are occurring on this forum. Do you really think that telling the op to "
seems like a kick while he is down, something that another member already pointed out to you.
Feel free to be offended by my pointing this out to you. This forum will only be better with the membership policing itself and drawing attention to disrespectful posts.

x2

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
Old 16 April 2011, 02:00 PM   #22
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
My post occurred several minutes before your recent change of heart post, in reply to your earlier unhelpful, and IMHO, disrespectful post.
I'm not a mod, but I will feel free to point out the increasing number of unkind posts that are occurring on this forum. Do you really think that telling the OP to "
Seems like a kick while he is down, something that another member already pointed out to you.

U are right Doc! The newbie has an attitude and needed to be adjusted.

John
Old 16 April 2011, 02:04 PM   #23
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareemthedream33 View Post
Waiting to hear response from seller. If true, I would not be pleased to get a watch that was not as described, running way fast, and then receive it with blemishes. I've bought two watches on here and they came to me in even better condition than described in the ad (from mastermixer). That's the way it should be.
Old 16 April 2011, 02:07 PM   #24
Damage Inc.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mechanical!!
I sent Rich a note (email) alerting him to this thread...hopefully that will prompt him to give his side of the story.
I hope that this can be resolved to the satisfaction of all involved.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/watches/club/gmtoc.jpg
Z-serial GMT IIc
2.92M serial 1675 Pepsi
V-serial 16610LV
Old 16 April 2011, 02:09 PM   #25
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
I sent Rich a note (email) alerting him to this thread...hopefully that will prompt him to give his side of the story.
I hope that this can be resolved to the satisfaction of all involved.
Excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2011, 03:29 PM   #26
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to seeing a resolution being mutually reached.
Old 16 April 2011, 04:10 PM   #27
paulshih
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP5711 BLUE
Gasman, thanks for the post.

It definitely helps prospective buyers get the low-down on how each seller deals with after-sales issues!

Definitely hope for the best!!
Old 16 April 2011, 04:28 PM   #28
gold canyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Quote:
If the watch is to your liking besides the 23 sec. fast, have it regulated and ask him to pay for it??
Agree. What does it typically cost to have a Rolex regulated?
Old 16 April 2011, 08:26 PM   #29
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold canyon View Post
Agree. What does it typically cost to have a Rolex regulated?
Probably not much, but usually there are factors in play why the watch is running out of spec, which might result in a expensive service...

On this forum, it's great that selling/buying isn't a gamble like ebay.
Old 16 April 2011, 08:32 PM   #30
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
From my observations on this forum I always had Faingator down as a good seller with many good feedbacks.? Be good to see his response. I would certainly deal with him and trust him up to now from what I've seen.
Closed Thread