The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 August 2016, 05:42 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Modern Omas broad nibs. How are they??

I'm looking at a new style Paragon but it's a broad nib. I have a fine and medium Paragon right now. I think I could tolerate a little bigger line than the medium. I've read the Omas broad is supposed to be set at 1.2mm. Have you guys written with an Omas broad on a regular basis? Is it just obnoxiously wide for daily use? If it is actually 1.2mm I think it will be ok but I want to see if I can verify that line width.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I'm looking at a new style Paragon but it's a broad nib. I have a fine and medium Paragon right now. I think I could tolerate a little bigger line than the medium. I've read the Omas broad is supposed to be set at 1.2mm. Have you guys written with an Omas broad on a regular basis? Is it just obnoxiously wide for daily use? If it is actually 1.2mm I think it will be ok but I want to see if I can verify that line width.

You will not have any issues with an Omas broad nib. They are very accurate to the pen.

A 1.2 sounds right to me. But do remember after you acquire the pen with that nib think carefully about the ink! You could have the perfect nib and then consider it ruinous due to a slow drying ink or an inferior one.

Best of luck!

Richard
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
You will not have any issues with an Omas broad nib. They are very accurate to the pen.

A 1.2 sounds right to me. But do remember after you acquire the pen with that nib think carefully about the ink! You could have the perfect nib and then consider it ruinous due to a slow drying ink or an inferior one.

Best of luck!

Richard

What inks would you suggest for daily use, reasonably quick dry? I have a fair amount of ink including some montblanc royal blue. I have had some success using montegrappa black too. I've been using a lot of Diamine Sargasso Sea but it seems to be an alkaline mix and has a very strong smell. It also likes to leave a sheen on my Visconti celluloid so that kind of bothers me a little. I got a hold of some bookbinders red belly snake black from Australia but it dries out in the feed quick when uncapped. I received some Visconti blotter paper that I've been using at work so maybe that's the answer to this broad nib ink flow issue. Or should I say "issue" a week or so from now.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 15 August 2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
What inks would you suggest for daily use, reasonably quick dry? I have a fair amount of ink including some montblanc royal blue. I have had some success using montegrappa black too. I've been using a lot of Diamine Sargasso Sea but it seems to be an alkaline mix and has a very strong smell. It also likes to leave a sheen on my Visconti celluloid so that kind of bothers me a little. I got a hold of some bookbinders red belly snake black from Australia but it dries out in the feed quick when uncapped. I received some Visconti blotter paper that I've been using at work so maybe that's the answer to this broad nib ink flow issue. Or should I say "issue" a week or so from now.

I am very frustrated by ink companies that claim that their inks are fast drying.

Many of them even add "Fast Drying" to the label and then you will find that they do not dry any faster than any other inks.

My suggestion is that you do your research and buy some samples. Give them a try and then decide on your own good judgement.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...st-drying-ink/
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am very frustrated by ink companies that claim that their inks are fast drying.

Many of them even add "Fast Drying" to the label and then you will find that they do not dry any faster than any other inks.

My suggestion is that you do your research and buy some samples. Give them a try and then decide on your own good judgement.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...st-drying-ink/
I just put in an offer for the price the seller said they would sell for. We'll see what happens. I'll run through my current stock of ink and report back what I find. I only have cartridges of montegrappa black but I can pull some out with a syringe and put it in a sample vile to ink it up.
Old 28 August 2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best of luck!

Richard

I took a few measurements tonight of the Paragon Signature broad nib line. I found that a line with normal pressure yielded about .9mm. Fairly heavy pressure yielded about 1.15 to 1.2mm. This one was tuned at the factory by Omas though and does run much dryer than all of my other Omas pens. I've found that nibs not tuned where much wetter. I can easily get a 1.2mm line out of my fine nib milord rosewood. Those nibs are much more springy than the larger paragon nibs for some reason. If I put heavy pressure on the milord nib I would spring it for sure. The ink used for the test was Diamine night sky of which I've found to be pretty neutral in wetness.
Old 31 August 2016, 11:09 PM   #7
Rafael M
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 21670
If you want to compare inks, go to a pen show. There is always an area with loads of bottles of inks to try. I can't think of another way to try inks.
And ...modern Omas broad nibs are really smooth. If you write quickly, a broad nib is probably, IMHO, more "expressive".
Rafael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2016, 03:14 AM   #8
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael M View Post
If you want to compare inks, go to a pen show. There is always an area with loads of bottles of inks to try. I can't think of another way to try inks.
And ...modern Omas broad nibs are really smooth. If you write quickly, a broad nib is probably, IMHO, more "expressive".
I've been very happy with the broad nib on the Paragon so far. Really I have no complaints. It's been flawless.