The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 August 2016, 03:06 AM   #1
Amiricanmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
26178ok rgrc

THE BUG has HIT ME! I

'm looking into picking up a RGRC & wanted to get some photos/input from current/previous owners. I wanted to know how the watch holds up over time. I would be looking to pickup the updated/last model year but wanted to see how the watch looks with daily wear. I've seen some that are in MINT condition with a great bezel and some with a shiny cheap plastic looking bezel. In general i want to know how the watch ages and how often i would need to replace the bezel to keep it looking MINT. I'm super OCD and with the RGRC i love how it looks new and hate how it looks with a shiny bezel.

PS: i know everyone is going to say to get the RG44. Although i LOVE that watch it's not an option as the 44 is too big for my wrist.
Amiricanmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 06:05 AM   #2
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
This is my rgrc which I bought new on Christmas Eve 2012 so it's 3 years 8 months old. I had the rubber bezel replaced in May this year and although the bezel only costs a relatively small amount it has to be done as part of a service so the total cost was £1300. As the bezel is solid gold covered by thin rubber AP have a complicated method of charging for replacing the rubber - it works out to be around £500.

I wear my watch 3 - 4 times a week and for me I think the bezel really needs changing every 2 years. A pal of mine also had this same style and he managed to take a couple of chunks out of the rubber by knocking it badly. I've never had this problem but I suppose you need to be careful.

Bear in mind that if you find one that is 3, 4 or 5 years old then the previous owner will have paid at least £36,000 before discount, at the point that I took mine the retail was £40,000 so current values make it look like a bargain. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (142.7 KB, 589 views)
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 06:11 AM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

By the way, AP will now replace the rubber bezel for ceramic, from the L.E Buemi. To do this they charge £1700 but retain the rubber/gold bezel.

Not sure how this 'upgrade would affect resale as it would no longer be a rubber clad.
Old 25 August 2016, 07:54 AM   #4
Amiricanmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
By the way, AP will now replace the rubber bezel for ceramic, from the L.E Buemi. To do this they charge £1700 but retain the rubber/gold bezel.

Not sure how this 'upgrade would affect resale as it would no longer be a rubber clad.
First thank you for the input. Second, i am stunned that they swap it out for a ceramic bezel. That is literally the combo i love. Is there any photos of that setup? When the 26470 was originally announced i was hoping they did a new RG/Ceramic.
Amiricanmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 10:48 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
As AshAP says you might have to change the bezel every 2/3 years however the prices now are £17K here so are great value for so much watch so it wouldn't put me off.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 02:40 PM   #6
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Here is the requested photo, this is not my watch - I've taken this from the Internet, it was originally posted on Watchprosite.

The details about the ceramic bezel are not here say, AP have confirmed directly to me that they are happy to do this and cost etc. They also confirmed that it is only the ceramic bezel that they would swap to - they would not allow a swap to Cermet for example even though they make a 42mm bezel for the Trulli L.E.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (121.7 KB, 534 views)
Old 25 August 2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Here is the requested photo, this is not my watch - I've taken this from the Internet, it was originally posted on Watchprosite.

The details about the ceramic bezel are not here say, AP have confirmed directly to me that they are happy to do this and cost etc. They also confirmed that it is only the ceramic bezel that they would swap to - they would not allow a swap to Cermet for example even though they make a 42mm bezel for the Trulli L.E.
Looks good

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 03:31 PM   #8
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Posted twice!
Old 25 August 2016, 11:10 PM   #9
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Looks really good!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 05:43 AM   #10
Jp28
"TRF" Member

Wow ! Am stunned.
Have been waiting years for the 42mm RG with ceramic bezel to come out and to find that they do it already is amazing, I certainly never imagined AP would do such a swap. Great that they do though. Not cheap but then any trade of my RC to a ceramic version if it came out would cost me more anyway.
May well be doing this when my RC goes for a service.
AshAP you are a star !
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 05:47 AM   #11
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Very nice.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 08:37 AM   #12
GUICAMPA
"TRF" Member

Personally I don't like the ceramic bezel in the RC... The pushers and the crown are rubber covered... I don't think they match...
GUICAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 03:30 PM   #13
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomanoKu View Post
Personally I don't like the ceramic bezel in the RC... The pushers and the crown are rubber covered... I don't think they match...

So are the Bumblebee's pushers/crown. So are the Ginza's... ;)
(They have ceramic bezels)
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2016, 06:31 PM   #14
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Good info regarding the Rubber bezel. I've always wondered how and will they replace it. Good to know, it's not needed to replace the gold beneath it!

The ceramic bezel sure looks good on this watch (I have the same watch) how much would it be?
Old 27 August 2016, 12:44 AM   #15
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
I've never gotten why not just remove the rubber and let the gold bezel do its thing.

Yes it will get scratched but then again, that's what polishing is for.

I've seen it without the rubber and think it looks great!
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 01:56 AM   #16
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
I've never gotten why not just remove the rubber and let the gold bezel do its thing.

Yes it will get scratched but then again, that's what polishing is for.

I've seen it without the rubber and think it looks great!
But wasn't there a version prior to the Rubberclad that was without the rubber?
And is the bezel beneath the rubber finished like an AP should be?
Old 27 August 2016, 02:37 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The ones I have seen were finished nicely.

http://www.beverlyhillswatch.com/aud...01-8fu1rz.html
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 03:13 AM   #18
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
I have to say there's something with that black and gold contrast. The rubber just works as does the ceramic
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2016, 05:49 AM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I have to say there's something with that black and gold contrast. The rubber just works as does the ceramic
Yeah, since the actual bezel is gold, it would just be "silly" to remove the gold and add Ceramics IMHO.
Old 27 August 2016, 05:50 AM   #20
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The ones I have seen were finished nicely.

http://www.beverlyhillswatch.com/aud...01-8fu1rz.html
I actually prefer this look. Damn. Another first world problem...

Anyone removed their Rubber?
Old 27 August 2016, 11:18 AM   #21
VICI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post

No rubber is preferred
Old 28 August 2016, 05:23 AM   #22
Jp28
"TRF" Member

If rubber is removed I believe the main 'issue' is that the screws/bolts are a little bit higher than the bezel (by the amount of the thickness of the rubber obviously).
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 06:25 AM   #23
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
If rubber is removed I believe the main 'issue' is that the screws/bolts are a little bit higher than the bezel (by the amount of the thickness of the rubber obviously).
I was thinking of that too. Oh well. I think it's best to leave it as AP thought it should look like.
Old 31 August 2016, 11:42 PM   #24
VICI
"TRF" Member

Found a pic online..

Old 1 September 2016, 12:03 AM   #25
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiricanmade View Post
THE BUG has HIT ME! I

'm looking into picking up a RGRC & wanted to get some photos/input from current/previous owners. I wanted to know how the watch holds up over time. I would be looking to pickup the updated/last model year but wanted to see how the watch looks with daily wear. I've seen some that are in MINT condition with a great bezel and some with a shiny cheap plastic looking bezel. In general i want to know how the watch ages and how often i would need to replace the bezel to keep it looking MINT. I'm super OCD and with the RGRC i love how it looks new and hate how it looks with a shiny bezel.

PS: i know everyone is going to say to get the RG44. Although i LOVE that watch it's not an option as the 44 is too big for my wrist.
Very timely for this special explanation of the different Rubberclads. Check the article.

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....f-rubber-by-ap

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2016, 12:04 AM   #26
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
Read here:

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....f-rubber-by-ap

Old 1 September 2016, 12:04 AM   #27
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post

You'll find pics of the rubber removed right here: http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....f-rubber-by-ap

Old 1 September 2016, 12:08 AM   #28
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quite interesting because the only modifications that AP would do are only if the modification doesn't alter the essence of the watch based on its reference number. With that being said, they won't even allow to install the dial of the 25940OK.OO.D002CA.02 on the previous generation 25940OK.OO.D002CA.01.

Old 1 September 2016, 12:37 AM   #29
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Quite interesting because the only modifications that AP would do are only if the modification doesn't alter the essence of the watch based on its reference number. With that being said, they won't even allow to install the dial of the 25940OK.OO.D002CA.02 on the previous generation 25940OK.OO.D002CA.01.

I own a gold rubberclad, this is an upgrade that AP have directly offered me so it is not something that I've just overheard and then repeated on this forum.

I think the reasoning behind it is similar to that of the carbon GP where the carbon bezel can now be changed to ceremic. AP have acknowledged that certain materials don't last as long as initially intended and therefore in this situation they approve an alternative, in this case the ceramic bezel. This last sentence was the explanation given directly to me on the AP museum tour in Le Brassus - on the floor where they exhibit every Royal Oak in cabinets there is a GP with a ceramic bezel, when I asked about it this was the explanation given.

Thanks for the article regarding the rubberclad, it's very informative and very well researched.
Old 1 September 2016, 12:50 AM   #30
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I own a gold rubberclad, this is an upgrade that AP have directly offered me so it is not something that I've just overheard and then repeated on this forum.

I think the reasoning behind it is similar to that of the carbon GP where the carbon bezel can now be changed to ceremic. AP have acknowledged that certain materials don't last as long as initially intended and therefore in this situation they approve an alternative, in this case the ceramic bezel. This last sentence was the explanation given directly to me on the AP museum tour in Le Brassus - on the floor where they exhibit every Royal Oak in cabinets there is a GP with a ceramic bezel, when I asked about it this was the explanation given.

Thanks for the article regarding the rubberclad, it's very informative and very well researched.
Interesting to hear they told you that. I also own a RGRC and APSC in Clearwater has been very clear with me about not doing certain modifications. Perhaps the APSC where you are is less strict. Good to know. Glad you liked the article.