The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 September 2021, 01:27 PM   #1
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Watch: m116506
Thinking of getting an AP

Is AP more exclusive than Rolex?

How are their ADs in general? If they are like most Rolex ADs it's a turn off.

Based on their photos, the Perpetual Calendar Code 1159 catches my eyes.
2nd pick is the blue dial or purple dial Chronograph one, but it looks too much like my Daytonas
Old 30 September 2021, 02:19 PM   #2
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3800, AP 14800
AP watches are great, especially the RO. I wear my RO everyday since the first day I bought it and could never let it go.

For the AD, i think if we’re talking about AP, Patek, Rolex, they would be all similar these days… huge wait list, long waiting time and they have no stock.

However, if your target is the code, I think some ADs might have it. It is a beautiful watch, but not as sought-after as the ROs… for the blue dial chronograph, I think unless you purchase it grey, there’s no chance of getting one assuming you have no relations/purchase history..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2021, 02:43 PM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Normally I would say even harder to get, but the boutiques are more polite about the various ways they say no.

HOWEVER, since you are walking in looking for a CODE, you should expect a very warm reception. Lots of Codes available when I last passed through in the summer, but could be different by now.

I don't consider AP to be like an Aston Martin, but I would say likelihood of seeing a Rolex is like seeing a Porsche on the Road versus an Aston Martin on the road. Liklihood of seeing a CODE....can't say I've ever seen one in the wild other than my own.
Old 30 September 2021, 03:31 PM   #4
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
AP ADs have been a good experience for me in terms of brand education, them wanting to understand your interests, and attempting to vet you more professionally than some Rolex ADs. With that said availability is just as difficult as most Rolex lines. As some have mentioned, outside of your Code 1159s you’ll be in it for the long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2021, 08:44 PM   #5
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Very special boutique experience. With no prior history got a ROO diver and a RO within one year Boutiques are a real class act.
Old 30 September 2021, 10:35 PM   #6
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

Go to a boutique if possible. You are in a good position to start a relationship with them of these are your initial preferences. AP looks after its clients really well.
Old 30 September 2021, 10:48 PM   #7
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJH1977 View Post
Go to a boutique if possible. You are in a good position to start a relationship with them of these are your initial preferences. AP looks after its clients really well.
Totally agreed ! The customer experience is fantastic.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2021, 11:05 PM   #8
Saijin
"TRF" Member

So they won’t say garbage like “buy a diamond or other watches first” like those Patek and Rolex ADs?

I’d be pissed if I fly over out of state only to be told this. There are few AP boutiques in USA
Old 1 October 2021, 12:10 AM   #9
spryken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin View Post
So they won’t say garbage like “buy a diamond or other watches first” like those Patek and Rolex ADs?

I’d be pissed if I fly over out of state only to be told this. There are few AP boutiques in USA

I can assure you that it will not happen .
Good luck and can’t wait to welcome you to AP family
Old 1 October 2021, 12:30 AM   #10
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Never. Go to a corporate boutique (NYC or Bao Harbour) and you’ll get a very professional welcome - no bundling and no push for BS diamonds since it’s a dedicated AP store
Old 1 October 2021, 01:19 AM   #11
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Since I’m out of state do they do tax free?
Old 1 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As Reign suggested, go to corporate owned boutique. Since you are looking for Code chrono, welcome should be even warmer then normal.

Obviously there are no diamonds to buy, at best dummy movement table display or cufflinks. When they say no, typically they say something like 'please be patient and develop your overall profile'. But again, typically that is what they say to someone wanting a RO and nudging them towards the Code.

Finally, I will confess that the purple dial is much more attractive then I would have imagined from photos. And I'm not even a purple kind of person!
Old 1 October 2021, 02:10 AM   #13
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since I’m out of state do they do tax free?
No way
Old 1 October 2021, 02:16 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Think if you live/ship to Montana, no sales tax. Must be why Green Lantern is there tending to bison.
Old 1 October 2021, 02:25 AM   #15
Saijin
"TRF" Member

I called what I thought was a boutique but it’s a jewelry store in CA.
The person on the phone “we don’t have stock, bye”
Pissed me off.

But I ended up calling the Las Vegas store. Seems nice on the phone.

Montana? I have an office there :D
Old 1 October 2021, 02:26 AM   #16
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Btw, I was looking at the code on chrino24.

They cost less than retail?? What’s the point going all the way to their boutique then wait a year compared to just getting from chrono?
Old 1 October 2021, 02:41 AM   #17
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Quote:
Btw, I was looking at the code on chrino24.

They cost less than retail?? What’s the point going all the way to their boutique then wait a year compared to just getting from chrono?
Codes don't have the same desirability versus the Royal Oak line (yet), hence, why you are seeing prices below retail.

If you are absolutely certain that this will be your one and only AP, just buy from a grey dealer. However, there is probably a decent chance you will one day want something else that is not easy to get (ie. RO), and having a Code in your purchase history from the boutique will go a long way in being able to acquire the difficult pieces.
Old 1 October 2021, 05:24 AM   #18
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Codes don't have the same desirability versus the Royal Oak line (yet), hence, why you are seeing prices below retail.

If you are absolutely certain that this will be your one and only AP, just buy from a grey dealer. However, there is probably a decent chance you will one day want something else that is not easy to get (ie. RO), and having a Code in your purchase history from the boutique will go a long way in being able to acquire the difficult pieces.
You read my thoughts... right now I just want that 1159 Perpetual.
Royal oaks and the rest just don't speak to me.

But I may change my mind in the future if they come out with a modern Royal Oak design.
Old 1 October 2021, 05:28 AM   #19
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Oh, if I buy the code from a boutique in Las Vegas, do I need to keep buying from that location since my history is with that particular store?

Which means if I go to another store they won't have my history?
Old 1 October 2021, 05:35 AM   #20
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Uh…NY or Bal Harbor only please.

And yes, no history transfers between stores.

But if only wanting the code perpetual, might save the headache and find a good secondary market deal and be done with it.
Old 1 October 2021, 05:46 AM   #21
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Uh…NY or Bal Harbor only please.

And yes, no history transfers between stores.

But if only wanting the code perpetual, might save the headache and find a good secondary market deal and be done with it.

Why NY or Bal Harbor only ?
Old 1 October 2021, 05:59 AM   #22
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why NY or Bal Harbor only ?
Completely owned by AP as opposed to many others which are joint ventures with other retailers (Westime, Material Good). Also those two boutiques have good reputations of coming through for customers, and welcoming new clients so long as you put in some effort.
Old 1 October 2021, 06:08 AM   #23
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Completely owned by AP as opposed to many others which are joint ventures with other retailers (Westime, Material Good). Also those two boutiques have good reputations of coming through for customers, and welcoming new clients so long as you put in some effort.
That's really good to know. Man... I kinda feel bad about the rep in Las vegas who was so nice to me, but I'll contact NY AP today.

What do you mean by "so long you put in some efforts" ?
Old 1 October 2021, 06:12 AM   #24
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Oh my... I'm looking at the photos of the NY store on googlemaps and that's just beautiful inside.

I'm definitely going to visit them soon.

So is it like Rolex? You visit them, and once you decide, you tell them what you want, then wait for the piece and pay once they have it?
or is it more like you pay a % in advance to hold the piece and the rest when it arrives?
Old 1 October 2021, 06:30 AM   #25
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's really good to know. Man... I kinda feel bad about the rep in Las vegas who was so nice to me, but I'll contact NY AP today.

What do you mean by "so long you put in some efforts" ?
Showing up in person and being able to explain why one is interested in a particular model is a good start. Bonus points if the object of desire is something for which they don't receive a hundred requests per day.
Old 1 October 2021, 06:50 AM   #26
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Showing up in person and being able to explain why one is interested in a particular model is a good start. Bonus points if the object of desire is something for which they don't receive a hundred requests per day.
This. Most importantly, they need to feel you are passionate about their brand, and not looking to make a quick buck by flipping.

You pretty much register an interest, but if you request something very hard to get like any 15202, or a blue dial RO, they may give you a reality check. Other than that, tell them what you want and every so often, stay in touch to remind them of your continued interest.

The fact that you want a Code over a RO may work in your favor.
Old 1 October 2021, 07:35 AM   #27
Saijin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This. Most importantly, they need to feel you are passionate about their brand, and not looking to make a quick buck by flipping.

You pretty much register an interest, but if you request something very hard to get like any 15202, or a blue dial RO, they may give you a reality check. Other than that, tell them what you want and every so often, stay in touch to remind them of your continued interest.

The fact that you want a Code over a RO may work in your favor.
you're right, just spoke with the manager and he wants to invite me to visit and sit down with a rep for a day or 2.

I'm looking at the RO, sure they look good but I don't understand why they are the most popular.
I still prefer that code perpetual. It looks unique and pretty.

I call people when it's time... I don't call them to "stay in touch", don't have the energy for that. But I know what you mean.
Old 1 October 2021, 09:21 AM   #28
OH2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Las Vegas and Beverly Hills boutiques are getting bought out by AP corporate
Old 1 October 2021, 11:25 AM   #29
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you're right, just spoke with the manager and he wants to invite me to visit and sit down with a rep for a day or 2.

I'm looking at the RO, sure they look good but I don't understand why they are the most popular.
I still prefer that code perpetual. It looks unique and pretty.

I call people when it's time... I don't call them to "stay in touch", don't have the energy for that. But I know what you mean.
ROs need to be seen in person. they photograph very poorly. try to check them out in the boutique if possible and if not then go to 47th street and they'll have every model you can think of (assuming you're going to the nyc boutique)
Old 1 October 2021, 11:40 AM   #30
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH2004 View Post
Las Vegas and Beverly Hills boutiques are getting bought out by AP corporate
Interesting. Looks like they are going all in on the boutiques. Hope it works out.
Closed Thread