The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Mhurbi
"TRF" Member

Do I have a Rolex lemon? Any advice?

I have had my Datejust in silver and gold since purchasing new in 1999 and I'm really not very happy with it considering it is a pretty expensive watch. My experience so far is detailed below. Should I consider this normal or do I have a Rolex lemon? Opinions? Advice?

In 2004 it stopped working - had an overhaul done by Rolex in Singapore

In 2006 it stopped working again. Back in the US now and it was sent to Rolex NY who fixed it for free since it was so soon after the last overhaul.

In 2010 it stopped working. Did an overhaul again locally by the Rolex authorized service center.

In 2011 the magnifier fell off the crystal for no apparent reason. Had to have the entire crystal replaced.

Now in 2013 it has stopped completely again. Local Rolex triage says the winding mechanism is worn so an overhaul is once again recommended.

It's not like this watch sees rough duty. I am retired and do normal retiree stuff.
Mhurbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
I wouldn't spend anymore money on it. Buy a new one IMO.

Nidal
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I would get it serviced or trade it in for a new DJ if the piece isn't hugely sentimental. I don't think you got a lemon. Just a finicky one.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I'd be tired of that. Buy a new one. They shouldn't require that much attention.
Old 27 November 2013, 03:51 AM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

get it fixed and sell it!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Roarry
Banned

Watch: your step
If this was any product, not just a Rolex, I would consider it a "lemon". Fix & sell I say. Sorry for your bad luck.
Roarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 03:57 AM   #7
joe100
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Fix it and sell it. I came here thinking that maybe you'd been upset by a single fault or two over the past 14 years or so but that is a laundry list of problems. Rolex almost never have issues like that so close together but with any mass-produced piece of equipment one slips through the cracks once in a while. For as expensive as these things are, I'd expect more too.
Old 27 November 2013, 03:58 AM   #8
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexitis View Post
i'd be tired of that. Buy a new one. They shouldn't require that much attention.
x2
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 04:37 AM   #9
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your problems, Its almost like chasing a car, first you repair the brakes, then the exhaust, then new ball joints, next the transmission lets go, etc. etc. etc.

Might be time to trade this puppy in.

Good Luck to ya.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 04:41 AM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Welcome to RF
Hmmmm... if you are willing to part with it. I agree with other's suggestions to fix and sell. Good luck with whatever you decide.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhurbi View Post
I have had my Datejust in silver and gold since purchasing new in 1999 and I'm really not very happy with it considering it is a pretty expensive watch. My experience so far is detailed below. Should I consider this normal or do I have a Rolex lemon? Opinions? Advice?

In 2004 it stopped working - had an overhaul done by Rolex in Singapore

In 2006 it stopped working again. Back in the US now and it was sent to Rolex NY who fixed it for free since it was so soon after the last overhaul.

In 2010 it stopped working. Did an overhaul again locally by the Rolex authorized service center.

In 2011 the magnifier fell off the crystal for no apparent reason. Had to have the entire crystal replaced.

Now in 2013 it has stopped completely again. Local Rolex triage says the winding mechanism is worn so an overhaul is once again recommended.

It's not like this watch sees rough duty. I am retired and do normal retiree stuff.
If my first Rolex (many moons ago) acted that way, I would have walked away from the brand; however, knowing what I know today, the right move is to persevere ~ yes it seems you got the unlikely lemon. I concur to stop feeding this watch parts/service and pick out a new one. Good luck.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 05:05 AM   #12
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 November 2013, 05:42 AM   #13
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Lemon, I'd be done with that. I have two Rolex's that are going on 10 years without a service and the keep nearly perfect time...
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 05:45 AM   #14
katana
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub.1680/ Datejust
YES .... fix it and sell to buy again ..... It's too much trouble with the clock for some strange reason.
Old 27 November 2013, 06:17 AM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
The problem with fixing it and re selling it is that someone else will Inherit the same problem. Rolex knows for sure this is a problem watch because all the work they have done on it. I would work my way of the ladder in Rolex and go all the way to the CEO if necessary and explain whats been going on. It wouldn't surprise me that someone that takes pride in there product (and has the ability to do so) would swap you out for a new one for all the problems you have had in its short life. Totally unacceptable IMO for a Rolex.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 06:26 AM   #16
nick c
Banned

Sell
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 07:01 AM   #17
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Time for a new watch.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 07:30 AM   #18
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Your watch should have been serviced once or twice in that time frame, my 1968 5501 air king hasn't been serviced since 04 and it wasn't serviced since 85 before that. And still was accurate within 5 seconds a day.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 08:44 AM   #19
Mhurbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
The problem with fixing it and re selling it is that someone else will Inherit the same problem. Rolex knows for sure this is a problem watch because all the work they have done on it. I would work my way of the ladder in Rolex and go all the way to the CEO if necessary and explain whats been going on. It wouldn't surprise me that someone that takes pride in there product (and has the ability to do so) would swap you out for a new one for all the problems you have had in its short life. Totally unacceptable IMO for a Rolex.
Should I work through my local dealer or go straight to Rolex? The watch is still at the local dealer but I haven't told them what to do yet. I was thinking the local dealer might have a good contact at Rolex and could argue my case if they agree my experience has been substandard.
Mhurbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 09:12 AM   #20
anilzat
Banned

Watch: GMT
Interesting quandary your in, I've owned Rolex for decades without any problems.
anilzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 09:18 AM   #21
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Fix it and sell it. I came here thinking that maybe you'd been upset by a single fault or two over the past 14 years or so but that is a laundry list of problems. Rolex almost never have issues like that so close together but with any mass-produced piece of equipment one slips through the cracks once in a while. For as expensive as these things are, I'd expect more too.
X2. I went 14 years before I had my first Rolex service.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Fix it, sell or flip it and get a new relationship started.
Old 27 November 2013, 09:27 AM   #23
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
x2
Old 27 November 2013, 09:29 AM   #24
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

What was the accuracy like during it's lifetime? Wondering if it was sporadic and was showing signs of a bad overhaul job maybe
tommyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 09:31 AM   #25
U5512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should I work through my local dealer or go straight to Rolex? The watch is still at the local dealer but I haven't told them what to do yet. I was thinking the local dealer might have a good contact at Rolex and could argue my case if they agree my experience has been substandard.
Rolex is not going to do anything for you since your watch is already 14 years old. If your watch has issues right away within the first year of ownership, or during the warranty period, they might replace it with a new watch. Don't waste your time with Rolex but fix and sell. or sell as is, or trade in as is for a new watch.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 09:33 AM   #26
exxondus
"TRF" Member

Its a money churning machine rolled out by rolex! You have to
Ay for 'maintenance' every now and then

Jokes aside, i am beginning to wonder if its the QC fr the technicians that repaired the watch.
exxondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 10:15 AM   #27
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
I don't know that answer. It just seems that your watch hasn't been working correctly from the get go. I would call, email and politely pester anyone that would listen to me. I am very resourceful and use every method possible. In today's day and age it isn't hard to do.

You may also want to get the Better Business Bureau involved if you dont get the correct answer from your AD. Companies hate this and do every thing possible to make sure they don't have bad reputations publicly listed.

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/bus...ew-york-ny-393

Look at how long they have been a A+ rating. Look at how little there complaints are with Millions of watches sold. They do care and want Happy customers. They will make it right!

Rolex is known for its supposedly Superior watch. It seems you have less than a superior watch and something very out of the ordinary regarding Rolex. Seems being retired you have plenty of time.

I don't make bogus write ups but if I think I am in the right I do file BBB reports and I have been made Happy with all 3 that I have filed so far. Have accurate facts and receipts to back it up. Trust me this will go all the way over to Switzerland and they wont like any negative press. Squeaky Wheel gets the grease............ Best of luck.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Amer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 116619LB
I would push and escalate to someone at Rolex regardless of the age of the watch. Once you get someone you should provide them all the service work as proof. With the exception of the cyclops falling off you could have a design flaw that is causing some of these problems.

See if your AD can put you in touch with a Rolex Rep.

Worst case, get it fixed and trade it for something else.....At least then you know you tried to remedy the issue in good conscious on your part.

Good luck

/Amer
Amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 10:22 AM   #29
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
You have had some pretty bad luck it seems. I agree with everyone and say sell it. I would love to see a pic of this "cursed" watch though.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2013, 10:34 AM   #30
viper9669
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Fiesty Rolex, maybe trade it in and acquire a new one. Hope it all works out for you.
viper9669 is offline   Reply With Quote