The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 March 2022, 06:23 PM   #1
S``
"TRF" Member

The Laureato is currently the biggest chancers' galore...

2 listings, the "42k" version is claimed to be sold...

I've seen some names on these threads that had multiple claims that Rolex, AP, PP to be "overhyped"... But... the Laureato which had only moved in the last month or so (since the TPG and Roman Sharf IWJG Miami pump videos) are the real deal????

I've never seen a big asking price spread than this example...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_151748.jpg (100.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220319_151943.jpg (274.4 KB, 271 views)
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 06:47 PM   #2
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

The Ap RO dropped in 1972. GPLin 75. Nautilus 76.

All born from quartz crisis days. Roman Sharf is a smart business man and TPG is an idiot but street smart. They’re betting you can’t get an RO so they’re pumping you BS to lure you toward an absolute garbage brand that is highly accessible, super cheap, and they can destroy it on margins.

You have to be born yesterday to not see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 07:10 PM   #3
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
The Ap RO dropped in 1972. GPLin 75. Nautilus 76.

All born from quartz crisis days. Roman Sharf is a smart business man and TPG is an idiot but street smart. They’re betting you can’t get an RO so they’re pumping you BS to lure you toward an absolute garbage brand that is highly accessible, super cheap, and they can destroy it on margins.

You have to be born yesterday to not see this.

Exactly! TPG and Roman are pushing GP because they are attempting to get first mover advantage - buy all the Laureato at low prices, pump it hard and make it huge profit. And Roman isn’t exactly a saint either with his RayBan issues. The big shame for me is that David K (from a UK grey dealer) actually had the guts to say that Roman is not wrong and we should keep supporting him. That was a disgrace! Supporting a person who sells counterfeit goods for profit without even taking responsibility. The audacity of grey dealers these days!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 07:35 PM   #4
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Guys, you have no idea…..

Old 19 March 2022, 10:31 PM   #5
Tongyk
"TRF" Member

Just take the Chopard alpine eagle and skip this “waiting list/time”

Tongyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 12:09 AM   #6
1rolexman
"TRF" Member

I tend to agree I would like to see some counter points. I am not saying it’s trash but also think it’s being hyped.

1rolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 01:09 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is getting really funny LOL! Personally not a GP fan, it's my personal feelings about the visually confused styling. But hey, that's just me. The movement looks nice enough.

Besides, anything TPG are pushing gets a punt due to my personal belief of ethics. I do realize this is a rare trait in 2022.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 07:05 AM   #8
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Personally not a GP fan, it's my personal feelings about the visually confused styling. But hey, that's just me.

Do tell - what is visually confused in the design of every watch GP make…you know, since you're not a fan of the entire brand.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 11:07 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Do tell - what is visually confused in the design of every watch GP make…you know, since you're not a fan of the entire brand.
No no, the one posted, not their entire product line since the dawn of Swiss time. The circle bit below the bezel does not visually belong imho. Looks awkward. This is where Bvlgari's Octo does it better, fashionably speaking, in my eyes.

Plus since TPG are pushing GP according to you guys since I pay absolutely zero attention to them unless its 'forced' upon me, I'm now convinced to avoid them. Hey, it's how I roll. I'm not a R Mille customer either, I don't see the value/pricing. Hey, that's me. Go buy a few GP and RM if you love them, cool by me.

I'll stand by my Bvlgari pick for innovation, value, and styling. But hey, that's me.

Party on.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 20 March 2022, 11:41 AM   #10
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Plus since TPG are pushing GP, I'm now convinced to avoid them.
Here's a trick - stop watching the YouTube watch "experts". They are less interested in the watches than they are in getting their view count revenue up.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 11:55 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Here's a trick - stop watching the YouTube watch "experts". They are less interested in the watches than they are in getting their view count revenue up.
Good point, yet there are some video guys who are good. I love what Czapek did with their multi-part video series about the movement. I do not watch TPG, but someone here said...

Yet yes, some video 'personalities' are what they are. It's not just in the watch hobby. Considering how much money companies spend on buying influencer time for perfume, clothing, shoes, automobiles, golf clubs... and even home lawn mowers and... it's quite the business.

Am trying to avoid the 'left turn' into a discussion about paid promotion versus honest enthusiasm. Color me an enthusiast for decades, and boy have things changed over the last few years.

╯︿╰

Old 20 March 2022, 02:05 AM   #12
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

The three Laureato fans worldwide explaining to you the brand heritage and value proposition.

Old 20 March 2022, 09:19 AM   #13
LVx2
Banned

Is the Laureato the newest hot/unobtainable piece?

It's gaining more attention. Will it hold that attention is the more pertinent question. If you like it the answer to either is pretty much irrelevant.
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 01:23 PM   #14
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
The 8010 bracelet has a PP nautilus feel about it.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 05:06 PM   #15
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Haters are going to hate, no matter what. As one of the previous posters replied, the Laureato came two years after the AP RO and before the Nautilius.

The design language is also very different, having been designed by a Milanese architect who too inspiration from the roof of the Duomo.

I picked up one recently. The blue dial absolutely pops and I got it close to 30% under retail. The finish is way superior to the Rolex GMT that I’ve been waiting for years for and the watch wears nicely on the wrist. I think it represents great value and the brand is doing pretty well in Asia, with good brand awareness and recognition.

Great history, excellent finish, in house movement, comfortable bracelet, value for money, no long wait periods - what’s not to like?

lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 06:20 PM   #16
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, with heritage and quality, that periodically buzzes in my head.
So far, for some reasons not well identified, it did not make the click in me, so I patiently wait for the right moment, if and when it arrives.

For the haters: never say never. Sometimes the position the mind decides to hold today may dramatically change in the future …

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcatcher View Post
Haters are going to hate, no matter what. As one of the previous posters replied, the Laureato came two years after the AP RO and before the Nautilius.

The design language is also very different, having been designed by a Milanese architect who too inspiration from the roof of the Duomo.

I picked up one recently. The blue dial absolutely pops and I got it close to 30% under retail. The finish is way superior to the Rolex GMT that I’ve been waiting for years for and the watch wears nicely on the wrist. I think it represents great value and the brand is doing pretty well in Asia, with good brand awareness and recognition.

Great history, excellent finish, in house movement, comfortable bracelet, value for money, no long wait periods - what’s not to like?

Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 08:49 PM   #17
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:

Good take. You mention that the finishing is better than the GMT, would you put it on the same level as the RO or somewhere in between?

charger_vital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 09:51 PM   #18
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Good take. You mention that the finishing is better than the GMT, would you put it on the same level as the RO or somewhere in between?

Half an hour before pulling the trigger on the GP, I had the opportunity to try on a black dial RO. While the bracelet was very comfortable, the watch just looked too industrial to me. There was a starkness to it that the case of the GP, with its softer lines just did not have. I would put the finishing of the GP right at par with the RO. The GP also has a certain “heft” to it.

Old 21 March 2022, 03:21 AM   #19
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Half an hour before pulling the trigger on the GP, I had the opportunity to try on a black dial RO. While the bracelet was very comfortable, the watch just looked too industrial to me. There was a starkness to it that the case of the GP, with its softer lines just did not have. I would put the finishing of the GP right at par with the RO. The GP also has a certain “heft” to it.

Haha, finishing of the GP on par with the Royal Oak, lol
Old 21 March 2022, 06:24 AM   #20
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Is the Laureato the newest hot/unobtainable piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
Haha, finishing of the GP on par with the Royal Oak, lol

That is nonsense. I tried on two versions of the blue Laureato at the trunk show. Was wearing my VC 4500V that day and I can assure you the GP finishing and dial was closer to Tissot than Trinity.

I really really wanted it to be amazing but it just wasn't.

If you can't tell the difference then by all means don't pay the difference, OP. I'm happy that you're happy.
Old 20 March 2022, 10:34 PM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Haters are going to hate, no matter what. As one of the previous posters replied, the Laureato came two years after the AP RO and before the Nautilius. The design language is also very different, having been designed by a Milanese architect who too inspiration from the roof of the Duomo. I picked up one recently. The blue dial absolutely pops and I got it close to 30% under retail....
Congrats! What matters is that you love it and wear it often. Who gives a flying f... what others, including me, thinks.

YOU are happy, and that's what matters.

Old 20 March 2022, 09:13 PM   #22
seastu
"TRF" Member

I agree. Great history, excellent finish, in house movement, comfortable bracelet, value for money. Now impossible to get at MSRP. I Recently sold my Overseas and kept the GP.
I find the bracelet nicer and the fit and finish on par.
I don't buy watches as investments. I buy what I want to wear and take profits or losses, when a watch no longer interests me. For now the GP is a keeper because I love wearing it,
not because it has risen in value.
If you want to be ahead of the curve take a hard look at that Parmagiani Tonda Gt 3 hand. For me it checks all the boxes.... its a keeper
seastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 09:54 PM   #23
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastu View Post
I agree. Great history, excellent finish, in house movement, comfortable bracelet, value for money. Now impossible to get at MSRP. I Recently sold my Overseas and kept the GP.
I don't buy watches as investments. I buy what I want to wear and take profits or losses, when a watch no longer interests me. For now the GP is a keeper because I love wearing it,
If you want to be ahead of the curve take a hard look at that Parmagiani Tonda Gt 3 hand. For me it checks all the boxes.... its a keeper

Very well said. Watches are not an investment and you need to wear and buy what you like. I traded in my 10 year old PAM 233 for the GP simply because I did not enjoy the 233 any longer. It felt too big, heavy and uncomfortable.

The Tonda is on my radar but it seems to wear quite large. Guess I’ll have to try it out to see :)

Old 21 March 2022, 05:59 AM   #24
Bug04
"TRF" Member

I would say however that also the PAM 233 is a great watch!

Quote:
Very well said. Watches are not an investment and you need to wear and buy what you like. I traded in my 10 year old PAM 233 for the GP simply because I did not enjoy the 233 any longer. It felt too big, heavy and uncomfortable.

The Tonda is on my radar but it seems to wear quite large. Guess I’ll have to try it out to see :)

Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:19 AM   #25
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastu View Post
Haha, impossible to get at msrp, lol
Old 21 March 2022, 03:22 AM   #26
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
Haha, impossible to get at msrp, lol
Are you aware of any for sale at MSRP right now? I’ve spoken to 3 x ADs and 1 x grey who all say they simply can’t get one.
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 03:42 AM   #27
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Are you aware of any for sale at MSRP right now? I’ve spoken to 3 x ADs and 1 x grey who all say they simply can’t get one.
Synonyms & Antonyms for impossible

Synonyms
hopeless, insoluble, insolvable, insuperable, unattainable, undoable, unrealizable, unsolvable

Antonyms
achievable, attainable, doable, feasible, possible, realizable, resolvable, soluble, work

I’m going with the antonyms on this one.
Old 21 March 2022, 03:21 AM   #28
smg8
Banned

Who/what is TPG that people keep referring to? Thanks
Old 21 March 2022, 04:34 AM   #29
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Who/what is TPG that people keep referring to? Thanks
"Time Piece Gentleman." A watch-lifestyle youtube channel. The main guy is an ex-convict turned grey-market watch dealer. They are controversial with some of their antics.
charger_vital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2022, 05:35 AM   #30
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
"Time Piece Gentleman." A watch-lifestyle youtube channel. The main guy is an ex-convict turned grey-market watch dealer. They are controversial with some of their antics.
Thank you very much