The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 December 2012, 05:35 AM   #31
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbSteve View Post
I'd vote to get her the MK she wants. If it is something that the others at school are wearing then getting her something that would make her stand "outside" of that circle will only invite conflict. She may end up not wearing the "better" watch simply because it sets her apart from her friends at school.
I second this advice. If that's what she wants, there is no sense getting her anything else.
Old 17 December 2012, 05:36 AM   #32
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
It's cheap considering the expenses on the way. Just get her what she wants. She will be happy.
What more could you want?

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 05:44 AM   #33
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
I'd get her what she wants, but damned if I'd get it from Nordstroms. They are available at Macy's and Dillards here in the NE, but also online.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 07:10 AM   #34
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post

Is my impression wrong about MK watches?
Yes. Unfortunately similar thing can be said for Rolex.

It is all about personal preference.

I'd happily to put my name on a watch if it sells....
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 08:14 AM   #35
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
They are made by Fossil. Fossil also makes Michele, an even more expensive fashion line. It's good enough quality for that price range.

She could get the same look by buying a Fossil version of it for 1/3 the price, but bear in mind it's all about brand for her...if the cool kids have Kors she wants Kors.
For what its worth, Fossil may own Michele but they do not make them. Fossil acquired Michele in '04 but they have been around since the '40s.
My wife worked at Neimans which prior to Fossil obtaining them and putting them in Macy's and Dillard's was one of the only places you could buy them. We bought a few of them when they were offering one of their quarterly 50/30 sales and while I am not sure what movement they have in them (they are stamped Swiss Made) the fit and finish is 100x better than any MK or Fossil.
Chopped54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 09:37 AM   #36
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKunani View Post
It is not junk. It is not high quality either. It is reliable and a fashion statement for the ladies. If your daughter likes it, I would get her one.
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 11:11 AM   #37
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Some teenagers I know wouldn't want to wear a Rolex because "it's a watch for old people" !!

So long as your daughter appreciates it, I would get her what she wants.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 11:45 AM   #38
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
The old saying is "If momma ain't happy then no one is happy". Same applies for your daughter. Make her happy and get her what she wants. At least she wants a watch and not just use her iPhone

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 11:50 AM   #39
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

get her what she wants imho
Old 17 December 2012, 02:14 PM   #40
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
My daughter did try on my wife's midsize Yachtmaster and she was hooked .... she won't take it off .... So she asked my wife "mom, I want to wear that to highschool" .... my wife said "I do not think so honey .... " and then she turned to me and said "dad, can I wear you DEEPSEA to school?" and I said "ofcourse honey" and she said with her mouth open "really dad??" and I said "yes, really .... after I am dead! HA HA HA !!!"

Yes, watchmaking/horlogy wise, Mkors is not even in the pic, but bling wise, they do a pretty good job ...

So I am teaching my daughter about quartz vs mechanical and the difderences and the benefits of each .... she seems quite interested in watches ... which is good...
Hahah...

Get her the Kors... Life is too short
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2012, 09:24 PM   #41
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Junk? No. Fashionable? apparently so...

My wife almost bought one when she was in the MK store in Vegas...I had to bribe her not to buy it, by buying her an MK bag instead....phew that was a close call!
Old 17 December 2012, 10:00 PM   #42
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Yes, you can find it online cheaper I'd bet. Retail on these types of fashion watches is
usually very high.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2012, 02:32 AM   #43
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I know a few adults that owns MK watches and can see why they are popular these days. However, just like any fashion watch, trends come and go. I would buy it for my own daughter provided she comes up with the grades to deserve it. I am pretty sure you can buy these on the net for a lot cheaper then full retail as well.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2012, 04:25 AM   #44
conrail
"TRF" Member

I mean...sure, they are "junk" in the sense that its a cheap, mass-produced asian quartz watch, and the "gold" plating on the case and bracelet will probably fade. But who knows - and for your daughter its more about the fashion statement than the watch, so just get it :)
Old 18 December 2012, 04:35 AM   #45
superscot69
Banned

I bought a MK a while back and have to say it keeps perfect time ! nothing to complain about from myself ....even keeps far better time than the Sub on my wrist ...just get her one and keep her happy
superscot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2012, 05:13 AM   #46
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
You are right. I am little old fashioned type of a person. I do not believe in handing over to my kids the best there is. I supply them enough to get their job done and some but not get extravagant about it. If she wants a Rolex, she needs to get it once she has a job and finished college and has her basic needs taken care of.
She wants a fancy car because of her driver's license she is about to get, I told her you will be driving our 10yr old honda accord. Be thankful at least that you are getting a car. She wanted a mini cooper. I can easily afford to give it to her, but it is a matter of principle. Make use of what we have in our family and keep your dreams as an incentive to complete college --- Rolex, cars, house, it will all come in due time once she has matured enough and is on her own.

I understand these teenage impluses ... I had them too but I was thankful to my parents to whtever they could provide and I knew my time would come if I had a good carrer
andworked hard and saved my pennies....so I want her to experience that.
Exactly.
That s what i call education Sir ,we don t want some little Paris Hiltons around us ,do we ?

-at least not ones who are callo g us daddy ;-)-

Best
George

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2012, 08:40 AM   #47
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
To reiterate what people have said, do not pay retail for one. Heck, Sam's club carries them at a hefty discount. Go online and you can find them for faaaaaar less.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:20 AM   #48
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
It's a fashion watch. Get her what will make her happy, in the short term. For $300 you'll be doing fine.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:27 AM   #49
eman1200
"TRF" Member

I see tons of ladies wearing MK watches. it has been a great conversation starter for me ;)
eman1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:34 AM   #50
jmusser3r
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't call it junk. IMO it is simply a fashion watch. Trying to compare even a Seiko to a MK doesn't really work because Seiko is a real watch brand where MK simply designs good looking watches and throws a quartz movement in it. Like many people have said already, just the fact that she wants a watch is great and you've got to start somewhere. I say MK is the way to go
jmusser3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:36 AM   #51
drchuck72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116520
I see many women wearing MK Watches. They have done a great job of marketing. The people that I know that are wearing them, I know they could afford better watches. Their husbands all wear Rolexes, Panerais, one even wears a RM. And no, it's not a case of the husband wearing what he wants and giving the wife the inferior because there is nothing left. I'm sure some of these women even have their own Rolexes etc but they choose to wear the MK because of the fashion statement. In some cases, they have multiple MK watches to go with different outfits, jewellery etc.

Bottom line, be thankful that your daughter is not asking for a Rolex, JLC etc. I've learned that you should try to get people watch they want, not what you want for them.

DrC.
Old 21 December 2012, 03:25 AM   #52
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I got my wife a MK "rose gold" chrono when we were in Cancun a few years ago before I got her a DJ.

I cringed from it, but for $200 after discount she wore it for about a year and got a ton of compliments (oddly enough!)

Now it sits in a drawer faded and likely with a dead battery.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 04:53 AM   #53
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG Rolex
My wife asked for a Michael Kors for Christmas.

Except it wasn't a watch.

gulfstream69xr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 05:14 AM   #54
nolawis
Banned

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
I see many women wearing MK Watches. They have done a great job of marketing. The people that I know that are wearing them, I know they could afford better watches. Their husbands all wear Rolexes, Panerais, one even wears a RM. And no, it's not a case of the husband wearing what he wants and giving the wife the inferior because there is nothing left. I'm sure some of these women even have their own Rolexes etc but they choose to wear the MK because of the fashion statement. In some cases, they have multiple MK watches to go with different outfits, jewellery etc.

Bottom line, be thankful that your daughter is not asking for a Rolex, JLC etc. I've learned that you should try to get people watch they want, not what you want for them.

DrC.
My wife wears her fashion watches far more often than she wears her Datejust.

Her choice.

Nw
nolawis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 05:31 AM   #55
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
I am so glad I have a son (he is only 4) but when he grows up a litttle he will be starting off with a Seiko Diver Automatic then depending on a few things, his birth year GMTc will come into play. Unfortunately with young ladies its Bling first and history and engineering a distant second.

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 05:38 AM   #56
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unfortunately with young ladies its Bling first and history and engineering a distant second.
You've obviously never met my daughter.

Political Science/World History Major and can build an air cooled four by hand. Her idea of bling is a Swatch or a Fossil.
Old 21 December 2012, 05:55 AM   #57
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream69xr7 View Post
You've obviously never met my daughter.

Political Science/World History Major and can build an air cooled four by hand. Her idea of bling is a Swatch or a Fossil.
My apologies for the sweeping statement. My point was more driven by my recent visit to Selfridges during the london GTG in Nov. Dan AKA Spuds was in a similar position to the OP and was looking for a watch for his daughter. So we all left the Rolex, AP, JLC sales hall and popped into the lower priced sales hall to get some ideas. OMG it was all gold and Diamonds and a total Blingfest or some terrible lookalikes. It was difficult to appraise a watch when u cant really tell what it is with all that "stuff" fixed on it. These were between £100 and £500!!! And none of them looked like they could last more than a few years.

Give me a Swatch any day

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 06:50 AM   #58
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My apologies for the sweeping statement.
No offense taken

Quote:
OMG it was all gold and Diamonds and a total Blingfest or some terrible lookalikes. It was difficult to appraise a watch when u cant really tell what it is with all that "stuff" fixed on it.
Not surprised at all. I was in the Kors store earlier this week watching a young couple oogle the watches. I'm standing there with my DJ on wondering what the fascination was. They looked like cheap blinged up copies of a Rolex Daytona. Ugh!

Quote:
These were between £100 and £500!!! And none of them looked like they could last more than a few years.
Holy cow! I paid less than that for the Seiko my 21 year old son wears.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that my wife and daughter are not into cheap blingy watches.

Quote:
Give me a Swatch any day
Daughter wears a swatch casual, and a fossil dress watch. My wife wear a Wittnauer dress watch and a very conservative TAG daily beater.

Shoes on the other hand, that is an entirely different story.
Old 21 December 2012, 08:28 AM   #59
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I saw MK watches when browsing quality watches at Paris CDG the other day. They come with both oyster and jubilee look a like bracelets.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 10:03 AM   #60
Genesis

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I would consider myself lucky that her friends don't have more expensive watches and buy it....
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote