The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 May 2015, 10:43 PM   #31
minimerc
"TRF" Member

Usually a Red sub first, followed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilddyan View Post
And one last question- Red sub vs Gilt 5513? Would love to have both, and maybe one day. But would be great to hear thoughts...

Usually a Red sub first, followed By gilt later. Gilts are far less common than ff red sub
Old 28 May 2015, 12:14 AM   #32
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

One risk on the horizon is a well oiled fake watch industry. If fakes are made exceptionally good (and they will; it's just a matter of time) - the value of real vintage will come down due to uncertainty and number of people wanting to take the risk in buying will be reduced. IMHO.
Old 28 May 2015, 12:58 AM   #33
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
One risk on the horizon is a well oiled fake watch industry. If fakes are made exceptionally good (and they will; it's just a matter of time) - the value of real vintage will come down due to uncertainty and number of people wanting to take the risk in buying will be reduced. IMHO.
Louis Vuitton has not had any trouble in that regard.
Old 28 May 2015, 01:25 AM   #34
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
The fake industry targets a different market.

The people who wear fakes wear fakes because they can't afford genuine examples, not because they love wearing fakes.

There has been replica Rolex's for 20 + years. If the replica makers wanted to get it right, it's not hard... Just get a real product and produce it 1 : 1.

I honestly believe the replica market purposefully impedes it's own progress by purposefully making flaws to distinguish itself from genuine examples. If you've ever been on a replica forum, you'd find out that most of the members know much more about genuine watches than most genuine owners know about their watches.

Sometimes when I have questions about authenticity, I ask the WIS's on replica forums because they are most up to date on all the fakes coming out of Asia. It's good to have friends on both sides of the fence.

Old 28 May 2015, 12:21 PM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post
The fake industry targets a different market.

The people who wear fakes wear fakes because they can't afford genuine examples, not because they love wearing fakes.

There has been replica Rolex's for 20 + years. If the replica makers wanted to get it right, it's not hard... Just get a real product and produce it 1 : 1.

I honestly believe the replica market purposefully impedes it's own progress by purposefully making flaws to distinguish itself from genuine examples. If you've ever been on a replica forum, you'd find out that most of the members know much more about genuine watches than most genuine owners know about their watches.

Sometimes when I have questions about authenticity, I ask the WIS's on replica forums because they are most up to date on all the fakes coming out of Asia. It's good to have friends on both sides of the fence.
Thanks for the great commentary on replica watches...I didn't know this!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 29 May 2015, 10:01 AM   #36
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
the fakes are really good these days. especially vintage daytonas. one of the V72 based fake Daytonas even made it into an Antiquorum auction recently. there are guys building fake watches using real dials, real hands, real bezels, real pushers, genuine movement parts fitted on a valjoux 72 donor. the cases are fake but that isnt easy to tell. check these out...these arent even some of the super good fakes; the dials on the fugazis arent real in this example. one of these watches is real:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daytona1.jpg (78.9 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg daytona2.jpg (80.4 KB, 311 views)
Old 29 May 2015, 07:47 PM   #37
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Ibtl.
Old 29 May 2015, 08:30 PM   #38
steptoe
"TRF" Member

Buy the right watch and what seems expensive today will seem cheap in a couple of years and you'll wished you'd bought a couple more :D..
Old 29 May 2015, 08:41 PM   #39
redfred
"TRF" Member

Prices may fluctuate but I don't see them dropping anytime soon, what most people overlook is the fact that a Rolex vintage is far superior to its modern counterpart, in a nutshell they are quite beautiful and have a quality unmatched by any modern Rolex I have ever owned. So those worrying about their 'investments' unless Rolex can produce something that has the same qualities as a vintage which would be verging on the impossible then I think we can all sleep soundly!
Old 29 May 2015, 08:54 PM   #40
willang
"TRF" Member

Buy a watch that you like and not one that you think will appreciate in value. It will give you great joy and satisfaction and you will look forward to wearing it in the morning. At least that's been my experience
Old 1 June 2015, 05:00 AM   #41
hatidua
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotihead2001 View Post
...your run of the mill 5513 or 1675 (in great condition) can be expected to at VERY LEAST hold its value.
I wonder what "it's value" actually is. I purchased my 5513 brand new for $400 and have worn it for the past 33 years. It's certainly 'held it's value' but I'm curious where that moving target of value is currently pegged.
Old 1 June 2015, 05:59 AM   #42
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
the fakes are really good these days. especially vintage daytonas. one of the V72 based fake Daytonas even made it into an Antiquorum auction recently. there are guys building fake watches using real dials, real hands, real bezels, real pushers, genuine movement parts fitted on a valjoux 72 donor. the cases are fake but that isnt easy to tell. check these out...these arent even some of the super good fakes; the dials on the fugazis arent real in this example. one of these watches is real:
Wow...

So which is it?
Old 1 June 2015, 06:13 AM   #43
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

You guys have been here long enough to know that we don't talk about fakes. Come on...
Old 14 August 2015, 07:34 AM   #44
Ccjacapital
"TRF" Member

I agree with beelzy I don't see prices coming down I have been selling Highend watches for 15 years. Even when the real estate market crashed. I had no problem selling any of my Highend watches. Rolex does a pretty good job keeping there prices firm and not allowing ads to discount to much. I know numerous ad's and I do not get to much of a discount from them. And the watches your choosing should stay pretty solid .
Closed Thread