The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 May 2015, 09:41 PM   #1
DubaiWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Servicing my rolex myself

Ive always been interested in taking things apart and this summer I would love to learn how to take apart and put back together my sub c. Could you guys point out what tools I would need? Im going to start with my old tag and maybe order a clone 3135 movement.

I was considering ordering this tool kit by bergeon and a water proof tester. I figured I could also save a few bucks servicing it myself over the years and the equipment would pay for itself. Is there anything else I need? different oils ?

http://www.ofrei.com/page1228.html

http://www.ofrei.com/page260.html

thanks guys !
DubaiWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2015, 09:46 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Good luck.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2015, 10:03 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiWatchGuy View Post
Ive always been interested in taking things apart and this summer I would love to learn how to take apart and put back together my sub c. Could you guys point out what tools I would need? Im going to start with my old tag and maybe order a clone 3135 movement.

I was considering ordering this tool kit by bergeon and a water proof tester. I figured I could also save a few bucks servicing it myself over the years and the equipment would pay for itself. Is there anything else I need? different oils ?

thanks guys !
Take my advice leave well alone,or enroll in a watchmaking school and after a few years gaining those skills.Only then and only then if you have gained the skills should you attempt to service any watch movement.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 02:48 AM   #4
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:

thanks guys !
Those two items are $2,200 and that just the start... You'll need a movement cleaner (approx $4,000), and a timing machine (cheapest $300) besides all the other tools you need!! You're looking at a minimum $10k-$15k if you want the basic necessities.
(The minimum investment to start up a decent workshop is around $50k to $70K)
Not to mention the cost to fix what you break or lose. Do you really think you'll save over the years?
I'm just saying....

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 11:10 AM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

crazy idea imho
Old 6 May 2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Shopguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Submariner
That's like saying "I'm going to become a machinist. I'll just buy a lathe, and a milling machine, and some attachments and I'm all set". It is actually somewhat condescending, considering that becoming a machinist or a watchmaker entails a complicated and strict process of apprenticeship, training, and experience, and every stage is examined and evaluated before certification.
Do what you are good at to earn money to pay those who are good at watchmaking provide the service you need. You can't do everything. Unless you're a polymath. And I've never met one of those.
If you do attempt the service at least video it for us.
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Normally I wouldn't be against someone wanting to do something like this is they are willing to risk destroying their watch.

That being said, listen to the people above me. You don't seem to have any idea what you are doing.

Anyone who wants to service a watch should already know exactly what tools they need and how to use them. You shouldn't have to ask people for such basic information.

Leave the servicing to the professionals who have the proper training. That's not to say you don't have the potential to learn, but that's the first step.
Old 6 May 2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Those two items are $2,200 and that just the start... You'll need a movement cleaner (approx $4,000), and a timing machine (cheapest $300) besides all the other tools you need!! You're looking at a minimum $10k-$15k if you want the basic necessities.
(The minimum investment to start up a decent workshop is around $50k to $70K)
Not to mention the cost to fix what you break or lose. Do you really think you'll save over the years?
I'm just saying....
Come on Vanessa it's just a spring , some screws and wheels . . .

Pretty sure he can do it ;-)

We'll I want to become a pilot

So I am just gonna buy a plane . . .

Don't see the need why they have schools for both professions . . . .
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2015, 03:41 PM   #9
sweepsecond
"TRF" Member

Many have crossed this line before, but I only know personally one person who has disassembled and reassembled an automatic mechanical movement successfully on the first try. Still, you would not have paid for a job like that.

I tend to think of DIY like this: how much would I have paid myself for this quality of work I just completed? My feeling is the ROI is not there in this equation at this time.

Learn some more and then maybe you can take it on. Rolex movements are marvelous in their simplicity, actually.
sweepsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 05:36 AM   #10
wrightbrain
"TRF" Member

Buy a GoPro first so we can watch.
wrightbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 05:45 AM   #11
DubaiWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the imput guys good to hear from an actual trained professional such a vanessa. I know you guys are saying im crazy but dont forget that im starting on a 100 dollar clone movement and cheap watches. Im hardly going to go and open my rolex at the very start. I was considering taking a course or learning from a mentor I was just interested in initial invest for tools etc.
Old 7 May 2015, 05:47 AM   #12
DubaiWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post

Pretty sure he can do it ;-)

We'll I want to become a pilot

So I am just gonna buy a plane . . .

Don't see the need why they have schools for both professions . . . .
Bit of a difference between putting lives at risk and a watch now...
Old 8 May 2015, 07:50 PM   #13
evn137
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the imput guys good to hear from an actual trained professional such a vanessa. I know you guys are saying im crazy but dont forget that im starting on a 100 dollar clone movement and cheap watches. Im hardly going to go and open my rolex at the very start. I was considering taking a course or learning from a mentor I was just interested in initial invest for tools etc.

Suggest learning from an online watch course. Start out with a pocket watch
( big movement ). Some of the courses avail of professional help via forum
For students. This way, you start correct diminishing the risk of developing bad habits/technique. You proceed/learn at your own pace. These courses also have a set of tools offered appropriate for the job you will do and then some. You can add on the tools as you progress to higher course.
You referred to Otto Frei. IIRC there is a watch school there.

People in this forum do not want to see you start out on the wrong path.
It'll lead to frustrations and needless expense.
Enjoy you Rolex but work on a clone or other piece as in a watch class.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
evn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 10:20 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If you have to ask?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2015, 12:01 AM   #15
Watchcollectables
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thanks guys !

Its not too difficult as long as you remember where which parts go where when you go to put them back .
Any chance you can video the entire process when you do it , Id love to see it :-P
Watchcollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 02:46 PM   #16
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Folks, ease up on the sarcasm. I think its nice that someone wants to learn the art of watchmaking. Its fair to say as some already have that anyone who take up this endeavor should be cautious about the potential pitfalls and difficulties, but with that said, if this is something that interests you, you should not be deterred from trying to learn! My suggestion is to buy a text called the watch repairers manual by Hendry Fried. My understanding is that its the gold standard text. A quick run through in the first chapter was almost enough to deter me. Though there are watch schools online and other avenues to learn the art of watchmaking as well. I second those above who suggested getting cheap movements to work on way before you ever touch a rolex movement :)

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 07:09 AM   #17
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Even if someone was to go down this road and invest the relevant finance, would they still not experience difficulty in sourcing the unique Rolex tools in addition to actual Rolex replacement parts?. I though that the latter in particular were virtually impossible to source unless via a Rolex parts account?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 07:38 AM   #18
Aramis9
Banned

Don't be put off .... it's not as difficult as many may think. I started out on my kitchen table with some junk pocket watches and some basic tools.

The book I used was Donald De Carle's, and I started with some basic tools. Be prepared to make many mistakes and be patient. After some time I was able to take apart any movement, up to triple date 3 register chronographs, clean and oil them then put them successfully together.

There is however a BIG difference between a watchMAKER and a watch repairer. I was happy just to clean and oil my own watches to save myself the costs and because I was fascinated by them.

Eventually I was able to replace broken balance staffs, poise a balance and manipulate a bad hairspring. Most swiss lever watches are the same... a good clean, new mainspring and correct oiling is usually all they need. Case opening higher end watches can be a challenge. I learned my way pre-internet and taught myself, it's very satisfying.

There are old parts catalogs out there which show compatibility of some parts, useful when cannibalizing for spares. There are also old books out there that identify movements that are not marked by the manufacturer. It's also useful to learn how to re-lume hands as this can make a big difference to the finished watch, with trial and error you can colour lume to look aged and so match the lumed indexes/numbers.

Personally I've not got to the stage where I'd tackle a newer Rolex, though I've had a few vintage without issues.

Putting them back together isn't difficult either, its almost impossible to put a part in the wrong place, with the exception of the screws but you soon learn this.

If you really want to have a go do it, be prepared to be fascinated, frustrated but ultimately satisfied when you bring an old ticker back to life. Good luck.
Aramis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 07:58 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by monbk View Post
good luck.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 03:35 PM   #20
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
Don't be put off .... it's not as difficult as many may think. I started out on my kitchen table with some junk pocket watches and some basic tools.

The book I used was Donald De Carle's, and I started with some basic tools. Be prepared to make many mistakes and be patient. After some time I was able to take apart any movement, up to triple date 3 register chronographs, clean and oil them then put them successfully together.

There is however a BIG difference between a watchMAKER and a watch repairer. I was happy just to clean and oil my own watches to save myself the costs and because I was fascinated by them.

Eventually I was able to replace broken balance staffs, poise a balance and manipulate a bad hairspring. Most swiss lever watches are the same... a good clean, new mainspring and correct oiling is usually all they need. Case opening higher end watches can be a challenge. I learned my way pre-internet and taught myself, it's very satisfying.

There are old parts catalogs out there which show compatibility of some parts, useful when cannibalizing for spares. There are also old books out there that identify movements that are not marked by the manufacturer. It's also useful to learn how to re-lume hands as this can make a big difference to the finished watch, with trial and error you can colour lume to look aged and so match the lumed indexes/numbers.

Personally I've not got to the stage where I'd tackle a newer Rolex, though I've had a few vintage without issues.

Putting them back together isn't difficult either, its almost impossible to put a part in the wrong place, with the exception of the screws but you soon learn this.

If you really want to have a go do it, be prepared to be fascinated, frustrated but ultimately satisfied when you bring an old ticker back to life. Good luck.

Wow awesome info! Thanks for sharing!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
like Arimis9 said, I too wanted to learn to clean and repair watches about 2-3 years ago. I started out small with a few basic tools and then started buying vintage tools on Ebay, expect to completely destroy the first 10-20 watches you work on. Myself I only destroyed about 1/2 dozen before I learned a few techniques that helped. Pocket watches are easier, pick up some used movements from eBay.
Viewing youtube video's also helped a great deal.

You can also do it fairly cheap if you get vintage tools, but there are a few I recommend getting new because frankly you can find used ones cheaper but without having experience with the tools you might get some that are worn out and you will end up having to buy others, the first have of this list I would highly recommend getting new tools only, you won't save that much by getting used on these anyway.
Keep your expectations in reality, you will not be a watchmaker without special training, but you can learn to do a basic service fairly easy and have fun doing it, I don't call myself a watchmaker, I say 'I repair watches for a hobby/fun'
Myself I love tools, so I enjoy finding tools on Ebay, including some really rare tools that I will most likely never use, but its fun to have them anyway.

I also found a vintage watchmakers desk at an antique store, the one I have now is made of pine and a bit crappy but works, I do have a lead on a vintage solid oak desk for $300.00 that I hope to pick up in the next few weeks.

Lastly, I am not sure if you live in a large city or small, but there are tons of jewelry stores in every small town, in some cases they only change batteries now. The small town I live in of 25k people has 5 jewelry stores, 3 of them are owned by gentleman close to retirement, they have passed the business down to their kids who do not work on watches, I have became friends with a few of them and love talking watch repair and sharing advice. Your mileage may vary.

Here are a few of the tools I use, this should get you started, although I probably forgot a few things, this was just a quick list I did in a few minutes.

List of new tools, either from www.Ofrei.com or www.Esslinger.com

1. Good set of French made screwdrivers. I got this set for about $70 and they work great.
http://www.ofrei.com/page1362.html
2. Timing machine. this is a must don't waste your time on trying to use iPhone apps or such. this one works great for $250.00
OF-1000-TIMER

http://www.ofrei.com/page256.html
3. Mobius oil kit $162 scroll down its near the bottom, don't buy used oil from Ebay as it does have a shelf live
Mobius kit includes 9010, 9020, 941, 8200, D-5, 8030, 8040 you can buy individually but why do that when this kit includes the ones you need to get started.
http://www.ofrei.com/page246.html
4. Oilers 10.95
http://www.ofrei.com/page248.html
5. Movement holder $23.00
http://www.ofrei.com/page244.html
6. Dumont tweezers - 3C carbon steel $30.00 first, then a #7, #5 DON'T SKIMP only buy a Dumont, Bergeon, Hortec, don't buy vintage as its probably worn out and DON'T buy china/Indian made you will waste your time and money, this is the most important tool you can get.
http://www.ofrei.com/Dumont-Style-3c-Tweezers.html
7. Case openers - Too many options to list depending on what you want to do, there are several types depending on the watch, you will eventually need several of these for each type. expect to spend 200-400 total. I am still buying used ones on Ebay and started out with cheap India made versions, slowly I am getting higher quality versions
http://www.ofrei.com/page557.html

8. Demagnatizer - start off with this cheap 'China blue' then try to find a vintage one- once your ready for the real one you will know what you need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watchmaker-S...item19ff6d3777

The below items from the link below.
Rodico - used to clean the watches and tools. I always have some out when working on a watch.
9. Bergeon 6033 Rodico (Two bars) Used to clean jewels and such - sharpen like a pencil

10. Bergeon Supplied Bundle of Peg Wood 3mm - used to clean gears and pinions and such

11. Bag of pithwood buttons (assorted sizes)

12. Covered Parts and Movement Tray - get a couple of these

13. One Dip Hairspring Cleaner, One half-pint (8 oz) - Very toxic cleaner used for hairsprings - evaporates fast

14. Poly stick - comes in handy - Bergeon Polystyrene Red Stick

Link to the above items >>> http://www.ofrei.com/page_223.html <<<

15 Dust blower - new or used from eBay
http://www.ofrei.com/page242.html

Watchmakers Loupe - This is all in what you like, I use the cheap Chinese ones all the time and they work fine, I plan to spend more and get some nice ones someday.
You need at least three 3X - 5X & 7X
http://www.ofrei.com/page354.html

Case cushions - I went with a hockey puck and placed padded leather on top. works great, or get one already made.
http://www.ofrei.com/page1015.html

Cleaning solutions - Don't waste your time trying to find a cheaper alternative, I spent countless hours trying to google vintage methods or cheap stuff I could find around town, it was a complete waste and I finally broke down and got the good stuff and very glad. Either L&R or Zenith, I went with L&R but the Zenith is easy to figure out which one because they have fewer choices.
Zenith Formula 67 Cleaning Solution $39.95
Zenith Drizebrite Rinsing Solution - $39.95

http://www.ofrei.com/page_224.html

Tools you can pick up used on Ebay with links to examples.

1. watch hand pullers, get vintage one or brand new Bergeon, don't buy a cheap one or you WILL regret it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WATC...item259402a5dd

and this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-POCK...item1a0055a6d6

2. Vintage L&R watch cleaning machine - also find an ultra sonic cleaner
Here is a good deal on a combo unit ready to go, I have the exact one but without the ultrasonic option, works great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-R-Vintage-...item541f6b8a6d

Ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon, I started out with a cheaper unit and eventually picked up a vintage L&R model that has vacuum tubes, its awesome and works much better than the cheap ones, not to mention I can repair it myself by changing a tube if it breaks
http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Commerc...asonic+cleaner

Crystal Press - Way to many options here to list. I have an old vintage one that works just fine.
http://www.ofrei.com/page236.html

Vintage crystal lift tool. Get a new one or a vintage like the link below. Don't get the China made version it sucks 'I know"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Crys...item1e9f1832cd

Mainspring winders - These get expensive and there are many different ones, I am still adding to my collection from Ebay. here is just one example of a kit that will get you started.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Main...item3f4d5b65fb

Assorted items off the top of my head - no links
Lint free watch paper
Lint free cloth
Oil cup holders
Rubber gloves
Rubber finger cots
Small needle nose pliers and assorted pliers - used from Ebay

Next start visiting Garage sales, flea markets, goodwill, etc and buy every mechanical watch you can find, use these to start out with because you will most likely destroy them. Don't work on your own watches until you can do it in your sleep. :) In about 3-4 years you should be ready to do a basic service on your Rolex after you buy some specific tools not included in this list.
I have a friend who repairs clocks, he bought out an old watchmaker and has about every tool and tons of parts, Some tools I got from him, also join a local clock repair group and become friends with them, they might have some tools they will sell, I live in Oklahoma and even we have a state wide group.

NOTE: I still do NOT work on my own Rolex, I will continue to pay someone else to do that, perhaps in another 2-3 years I might brave a basic service, but I doubt it.
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 07:26 AM   #22
kanikune
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP '58
.. and finally, you got to post similar: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=361690

Good luck. Very feasible.
kanikune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 07:26 AM   #23
kanikune
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP '58

Last edited by kanikune; 29 May 2015 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Double post
kanikune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 10:50 AM   #24
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanikune View Post
.. and finally, you got to post similar: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=361690

Good luck. Very feasible.
Nice post, I am still not comfortable with servicing my Rolex, in theory it will be easier than some of the other watches I have worked on, such as a chronograph, those are always fun.
Old 29 May 2015, 11:04 AM   #25
vitix
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I like servicing my watches, you just missing the oil and the rubbers, don't know how to say it in English but are the protective rubber band that goes in the back, I always change it when I service the watches ever 5 to 7 years

Rolex Submariner Date 16610 Z series / DSSD / GMT MII BNLR / Daytona 116500LN
Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 / Formula 1 Orange dial

Panerai Luminor Power Reserve / PAM49
vitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 12:02 PM   #26
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitix View Post
I like servicing my watches, you just missing the oil and the rubbers, don't know how to say it in English but are the protective rubber band that goes in the back, I always change it when I service the watches ever 5 to 7 years

Gasket = rubber band that goes in the back.
Old 8 August 2015, 07:59 PM   #27
perpetual92
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thanks guys !
old thread but felt compelled to comment.

2 things.

Do a ton of research on this movement and all the tools, oils, parts that you may need and how to employ the tools you will need. Knowing how to properly clean, what part uses what oil or grease (and where), knowing how to properly Epilame the pallet stone faces/escape wheel teeth/jewel caps, reversing wheels, etc), etc....knowing how to safely remove the hands while protecting the dial, etc.......

The biggest issue with servicing one's own Rolex (beyond the obvious) is the risk of breaking or losing a part or needing to replace that worn rotor axle.

Without a Rolex parts account your are left swimming in the nude when the tide rolls out.
perpetual92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2015, 05:55 AM   #28
mnbookman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Well, a technical director for one of the major brands says "wheels, springs, and levers." And then we all laugh and get down to business.

And while he is correct, the reason we all laugh is the oversimplification. I apprenticed for three years with a watchmaker who had 65 years of experience. And then I figured out there were going to be gaps in my training, so I went to watchmaking school.

I *hate* it when a trade turns "snobby," but you can barely teach someone to be in a watchmaker with them to watchmaking school year round for two years.

I think we would all be happy to answer specific questions, but...
mnbookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2015, 06:23 AM   #29
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Is it in Dubai they say: You have more money than sense?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2015, 06:11 PM   #30
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Start on your Sub... by your 9th or 10th attempt I expect you to be working on a tourbillon movement!
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote