The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 28 April 2009, 05:28 AM   #1
Doublered55

My Rolex 5513 ?.....What is it? Year? Value?

I have an old Rolex, been in the family since 1970's and was second hand then. I was wanting to get it cleaned up and the face polished as the face is scratched, the bezel is stiff, the little nobble on the top of the bezel is missing, and the strap is a bit loose.

What do you guys think?

Old 28 April 2009, 05:40 AM   #2
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
That's worth a pretty penny!

I'd send it into Rolex for a lube and polish. Wow!
Old 28 April 2009, 05:51 AM   #3
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I am going to guess that is from 1966-1969, its a meters first which looks to have the original crystal! Take bracelet off and tell us the serial #. Whatever you do, do not change the dial & hands, it will kill the value. Some simple toothpaste will polish up that crystal.
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 28 April 2009, 05:53 AM   #4
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Any pictures??
I have an old Tudor that needed alot of work done and its a really cool thing refurbishing an old gem (not that I did it myself but its still fun).
Old 28 April 2009, 05:58 AM   #5
bran319

Man that is so beautiful!
Old 28 April 2009, 06:08 AM   #6
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Don't send it to Rolex for service. Have one of the watchmakers recommended on this site perform a service on the watch (e.g., Dalton, Ridley, etc.).

That's quite a beauty!

FcB
Old 28 April 2009, 06:15 AM   #7
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
as to value approx £3-3.5k if you are considering selling do nothing at all to the watch collectors much prefer to buy watches like this as is.

good luck

sean
Old 28 April 2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Doublered55

Rolex 5513?

The Dial needs a good polish, the strap is jingly, the whole thing is scratched, the dial looks original and matte, with the yellow tritium stuff all looking the same colour, maybe the minute hand is starting to go a little more yellowish at the centre. The bezel is very tight and full of gunk too, but the thing that scares me is the bezels black ring is scratched too......what do u do about that?

What would it cost to trade in for a new one do you think?

Old 28 April 2009, 06:22 AM   #9
Doublered55

Old 28 April 2009, 06:28 AM   #10
Doublered55

Old 28 April 2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Doublered55

I would love to know more about the watch, and who bought it originally!
Old 28 April 2009, 06:41 AM   #12
abr68
Banned

Watch: view my signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublered55 View Post
I would love to know more about the watch, and who bought it originally!
Hi,
What else do you want to know.
Scott already told you that the watch should be dd. between 66 to 69 since it has a meters 1st dial on it. To be sure, just remove the bracelet and make some pics. between the lugs. You will find the serial 5513 on "12" and the serial which belongs to the time produced on "6".
It is in pretty much used condition, but a great watch and nothing which is a real big issue
You should either go to an AD or a fellow member here in TRF to get it polished and checked (movement etc.....).
Do you habe also any papers to the watch (warranty, service papers, any repair recepts......)?
Also some pics. of the inside of the back would bring some clarification because many watchmaker leave a "signature or sign" when they did a service.
As said before also it bears a fully original tropic #19 which is scratched but might been polished as well if the scratches are not too deep.
The dial looks stunning as well as the hands.
Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask more if you want so
Best
Axel
Old 28 April 2009, 06:43 AM   #13
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Make sure that the crown is well screwed.
Place it overnight in some warm water with some dish washing liquid.
In the morning, the bezel shall turn easily,all grit undrneath will be disolved.

Put a bit of tooth paste on a piece of cotton and rub the ( acrylic) crystal. All scratches will be off. The crystal will clear and shine.

You can do the same polishing ( tooth paste ) to the case and bracelet to have a clean shining watch.

For the movement, you need a good technician to clean, lubricate and adjust.

You are lucky to have such a watch !

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
Old 28 April 2009, 07:04 AM   #14
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
Make sure that the crown is well screwed.
Place it overnight in some warm water with some dish washing liquid.
In the morning, the bezel shall turn easily,all grit underneath will be dissolved.
NO, DO NOT DO THIS
You have no idea when this watch was last pressure checked and if it is the original crystal, there may be cracks created by the way this crystal is pressure fitted to the watch case which cause water to get inside the case and ruin the dial and damage the watch. The crown has been replaced during a service, but still the gaskets may have dried out causing another possible entry point for water. As I mentioned earlier, some simple toothpaste or polywatch will polish that crystal up nicely. Leave the case to a watchmaker.
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 28 April 2009, 07:14 AM   #15
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
NO, DO NOT DO THIS
You have no idea when this watch was last pressure checked and if it is the original crystal, there may be cracks created by the way this crystal is pressure fitted to the watch case which cause water to get inside the case and ruin the dial and damage the watch. The crown has been replaced during a service, but still the gaskets may have dried out causing another possible entry point for water. As I mentioned earlier, some simple toothpaste or polywatch will polish that crystal up nicely. Leave the case to a watchmaker.
~Scott

Scott, this is a domed crystal, no way that water can get in, even if a truck passed over the watch !!

I had this same watch for years, it does not "break" whatever the torture.

And we are talking about zero pressure, no water penetration even if all the seals are ruined by temperature and age.

But still, I have to respect your view, the best way would be to get the watch FULLY serviced, but this would get his bank account back by E 350-500. Is he prepared for that ?

Next best thing would be to "dry" clean with a dump cloth

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
Old 28 April 2009, 07:35 AM   #16
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
Scott, this is a domed crystal, no way that water can get in, even if a truck passed over the watch !!

I had this same watch for years, it does not "break" whatever the torture.

And we are talking about zero pressure, no water penetration even if all the seals are ruined by temperature and age.

But still, I have to respect your view, the best way would be to get the watch FULLY serviced, but this would get his bank account back by E 350-500. Is he prepared for that ?

Next best thing would be to "dry" clean with a dump cloth
GG
The cracks that I am talking about are microscopic and can usually seen with a loupe. The problem is over time the acrylic crystals become more brittle, and due to the fact they are under pressure they are more prone to fail over time, that is why Rolex insists on changing acrylic crystals every time they are serviced.
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 28 April 2009, 07:26 AM   #17
willo

Watch: make it vintage
Quote:
NO, DO NOT DO THIS
~Scott
+1

last thing you want to wake up to is some bubbles forming underneath the crystal!
Old 28 April 2009, 09:01 AM   #18
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Quote:
NO, DO NOT DO THIS
~Scott
Exactly don’t screw around with it until you have a good understanding of its condition. Don’t screw around with it afterwards either.
Rolex's aren’t cheap to fix average overhaul will cost you 500-600 at Rolex dealer, getting your crown replaced probably 100, getting the crystal replaced probably another 100-200, the bezel (I had a watchmaker quote me 400 recently that’s bezel and insert but insert only 80-90 bucks), and the bracelet probably another few hundred then the polishing....
Also if you need any internal parts replaced that’s another couple of bucks depending on the parts.
But believe me its worth every penny and you will have a sense of satisfaction knowing it looked the way it did and you got it fixed up in tip top condition.
Old 28 April 2009, 07:12 AM   #19
Doublered55

I was thinking that putting the watch in a glass of warm water may be a recipe for disater as i dont know that it is still waterproof!

What would happen to the value of the watch if I bought a new bezel ring? (Black Ring with the numbers on it on the outside) Is it better to leave it alone?
Old 28 April 2009, 07:24 AM   #20
Doublered55

So there is no way the water will get in if i leave it in a glass of water overnight that is warm and has some fairy liquid in the water?
Old 28 April 2009, 07:30 AM   #21
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
dont do anything with the watch your self, take the watch directly to rolex Bexley heath and give the watch to graham the service technician.

let them do it and advise you correctly, tell them you want to keep everything as original as possible.

hope this helps
Old 28 April 2009, 07:40 AM   #22
Doublered55

So can i get it serviced and ask them to leave the Domed acrillic glass, aswell as the face, hands and strap. Will they just adjust the loose strap, polish the glass and clean the insides up?
Old 28 April 2009, 07:42 AM   #23
SLS
"TRF" Member

They will replace the crystal, replace the tube & crown, service the movement, polish the case & bracelet and probably recommend that you change the dial & hands...which you will politely refuse!
~Scott

Member No. 922
Old 28 April 2009, 07:44 AM   #24
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Your user-name is Doublered... I think you know more than you're letting on
Old 28 April 2009, 09:41 AM   #25
willo

Watch: make it vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
Your user-name is Doublered... I think you know more than you're letting on
so cynical, but i agree.
Old 28 April 2009, 07:44 AM   #26
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Plus if the seals are bad...water will get in there. Doesn't need to be at depth for water intrusion, water finds a path of least resistance. Anytime something is submerged in water, there is pressure on it...whether microscopic or enormous. Please do not submerge that watch, let a pro do the service and you can work on the crystal. As for the bezel, leave it as is, you can replace the sapphire 12 oclock marker if you wish but I wouldn't. I would just get it serviced and ready to wear, it gorgeous allready!

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
Old 28 April 2009, 07:52 AM   #27
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Marke you hit the nail on the head with your response!
Old 28 April 2009, 08:01 AM   #28
abr68
Banned

Watch: view my signature
Hi again,

In terms of servicing go to an AD or leave the work up to the good guys here
Scott is right that a tropic (even the domed one) can have minor hair cuts and absorbe water (had it myself on some ). Also the back side and crown as well as glas holder edges can absorbe water as well if the gaskets are destroyed!
In terms of parts you can get almost all of them either by Rolex or an RSC or also from fellow members here
You asked for a bezel + tropic etc.....
Just send me a PM or ask for other ones such as Steve and we will help you to get your 5513 "project" finished

Best
Axel
Old 28 April 2009, 08:22 AM   #29
fusebuddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMTII
Absolutely beautiful. I hope to pass my GMT to my son some day. Your story reminded me.. Good luck with this treasure.
Old 28 April 2009, 08:23 AM   #30
mike
"TRF" Member

First of all welcome.

I'm a bit late to this one, but I'll echo what Marke and Scott have said.
As you're in the UK you might have better luck with an RSC service than we do in the states. They would be the best to service your watch and get paperwork for it.

As stated it appears to be a mid-late 60s example by the meters first dial. To me it appears it, at some point, receiced some kind of service as the triplock crown has three dots and the bracelet appears to be a later replacement from what it might have had in the begining. I'd guess it started with a riveted bracelet that was the norm back then.

Perhaps it's the photo, but the case lugs seem to have been rounded (perhaps a bit of over polishing) again a good reason to try an RSC there first. I'm guessing they can bring the lugs back to a beveled edge.

The crystal, if original, has seen it's better day and as Scott mentioned is at risk for failure if exposed to water. Acryllic develops stress cracks over time. It's the main reason Rolex replaces them at service. I'd guess the seals have seen there better day as well.

The insert will be replaced with a new luminova insert. If you want you can source a period correct tritium insert, but that would be your call.

Expect the bracelet to be replaced. An alternative is to have the bracelet rehabed, but Rolex won't do this.

With service and new bracelet you'll have about $1300 USD invested in the watch. A lot of money, but you will have a watch that speaks to the golden era of Rolex tool watches and is a sought after piece by collectors (especially with Rolex service paper).

Good luck.
Closed Thread