The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 March 2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Pete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/216570
Found Tudor in Family... attempting rescue!

Hey guys,

Recently at a family function my cousin mentions that he has my Uncle's (unfortunately passed away in 2000) Rolex. Immediately my ears perk up and I probe him for more. He doesn't know much, just that it doesn't run, has no paperwork, and has no bracelet. I say "Ok well send me some pictures and ill take a look".

This is what he sends me:

As per 007Sub (thanks again!) it appears to be a Tudor 7928 Sub. Looks like its been through a bit in its life. Here is the problem. He thinks it will be $1000 + to get it running and he doesn't have the cash to do it. Obviously there is sentimental value associated to it and it pains me to imagine it just sitting in a drawer somewhere and not on someone's wrist! It may not take as much to get her going but I haven't physically seen it yet.

From seeing the pics, should I pursue trying to get my hands on it (and maybe wrist) so it can at least get a new lease on life? I am hoping to see it in person and get more pics... unfortunately we live far apart and don't see each other often. Sorry for the long winded post... looking for some advice from the vintage gods!

Pete
Member #745
RIP JJ "Always in our hearts, and on our wrists"
"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul"

Last edited by Pete; 8 March 2014 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: changed model # of Tudor Sub
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 12:36 AM   #2
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Looks like a mid 60's Tudor 7928 gilt rail dial with pointed crown guards. The case looks fairly nice and it looks to be all original. The hands look like they are gilt too... This is quite a valuable watch and is certainly worth the money to get it running again!! As a watch enthusiast, I would encourage you to try and get this to wear if thats a possibility!!!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 12:41 AM   #3
Pete
"TRF" Member

Thanks 007Sub. I think so too. I would definitely wear it if I had it!! Trying to figure out now how to possibly get my hands on it lol. Like I said, its his dads and he doesn't want to part with it. I definitely get that and that may be the biggest obstacle!! I just want to see it running somewhere you know? Im just not into repairing it to give it back.. am I selfish? lol im not an a**hole and wouldn't want to come off that way. He doesn't care so much about getting it going. Maybe im barking up the wrong tree here and will keep my eyes open for another one to pop up in the family!! Better start checking wrists!

Pete
Member #745
Old 8 March 2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Frogman4me
Banned

Hard to tell from the one pic but my guess is a 63' 7928 with gilt, CCR, PCG. I say 63 because it might be an exclamation point dial. If real, it would be an amazing watch to get running again and own. Nice "long 5" insert as well. Best wishes
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 01:44 AM   #5
Pete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Hard to tell from the one pic but my guess is a 63' 7928 with gilt, CCR, PCG. I say 63 because it might be an exclamation point dial. If real, it would be an amazing watch to get running again and own. Nice "long 5" insert as well. Best wishes
Thanks Frogman. 007Sub has been assisting me with ideas on how to acquire it! Believe me, if I do, you guys will know about it. What is the exclamation point dial? Does it have to do with the 6 marker and the bolder tick below it on the outer ring (above swiss)? I don't know much about Tudor but am thinking I am going to have to become versed quickly if I get my hands on this beauty!

Pete
Member #745
Old 8 March 2014, 01:47 AM   #6
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Nice find indeed - looks great. Only small issue I can see, off the bat, is a little loss of lume in the hour hand. Lovely gilt hands with large disc on the second hand. Nice sharp case, great PCG, and excl. point chapter-ring dial. Sweet, I love it!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:00 AM   #7
shane0mack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 (1981)
Does he have a birthday coming up? Maybe you can pay for a portion of the service to get it up and running. It'd be a real shame for it to go unworn.
shane0mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:08 AM   #8
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
from the sounds of it based off what you have stated he doesn't really care whether or not its running...I think once he finds out how much its going to cost to service it properly etc. he will be just fine with it NOT running....the sentimental value of such an heirloom trumps functionality in this particular case...I would move on personally...
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:34 AM   #9
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
This could be a GREAT FIND! Well worth fixing up.
Old 8 March 2014, 05:02 AM   #10
Pete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
from the sounds of it based off what you have stated he doesn't really care whether or not its running...I think once he finds out how much its going to cost to service it properly etc. he will be just fine with it NOT running....the sentimental value of such an heirloom trumps functionality in this particular case...I would move on personally...
I have emailed him to probe into what he wants to do. Last thing I want to do is push him into a sale he doesn't want. I didn't even know about the existence of this watch before a week or so ago so life can definitely go on without it. Just seemed serendipitous as I was thinking about a vintage sub to add to the collection and this guy popped up. I am going to try to at least help him find out what it will take to get her going. It needs to be worn!

Thanks guys for all of the input. Will let you know!
Member #745
Old 8 March 2014, 05:24 AM   #11
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Yeah I think a frank honest discussion with him is in order, just so you can let him know that it has value as a collectors piece and that it would be worth fixing. If he pushes back at all and is not interested in the expense of fixing it, or interested in selling it then you have your answer. Simple then you both can move on, but he did bring it up and it seems he's curious, but potentially only as a side story because it seems he may just want this as a memento of his father.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 05:27 AM   #12
Paul
"TRF" Member

Have you considered using a donor watch ?

Nice 7928 PCG you've shown there - could perhaps be very nice once that scratched crystal's gone.

If it turns out that big work is needed to get it running, a donor watch could be viable.
The 390 movement was used in several Tudor dress watches, and ugly ones occasionally trade on eBay as low as about $500.
The donor option would also mean your old movement could be used for spares in the future.

Remember though ..... if you go the donor watch way, you need a rhodium (silver) finished movement.
Many of the 390's are copper finished - not aesthetically correct for your watch.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 05:30 AM   #13
Pete
"TRF" Member

Thanks Paul appreciate the info.

wantonebad - I think this is right. Might as well lay it on the line. love the Ron Swanson avatar by the way.. oh and I love bacon lol!

Pete
Member #745
Old 8 March 2014, 05:32 AM   #14
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
I mean, unless there is water in the case, it is not getting much worse sitting there doing nothing. I would put it in a box with desicant and let it be.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 06:15 AM   #15
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
What a great find. I have to admit I would be bugging the hell out of him for it. Tell him you will pay for a nice tribute tattoo for his father memory....maybe that would help with letting the watch go

Chapter ring dials...PCG....=
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 07:26 AM   #16
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
oh its absolutely worth fixing up in OUR eyes...guys...were not most people....this particular watch is gorgeous but lets be honest....its going to be fairly expensive to get the watch running...spending north of 1k to get a watch to just run and keep good time is pure insanity to most people...us on the other hand...not so much..I mean yea I would probably still pursue it or at least try and recommend a good watch maker to get it to...
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Cortezthekiller
"TRF" Member

How about offer to pay to fix watch. He can pay you back over time, but you get to wear in meantime. Once he pays you back, you give him restored watch back. Everyone wins.
Cortezthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2014, 02:42 PM   #18
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
offer to trade him your 16610 for it.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2014, 02:56 AM   #19
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great find!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2014, 04:54 AM   #20
Pete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortezthekiller View Post
How about offer to pay to fix watch. He can pay you back over time, but you get to wear in meantime. Once he pays you back, you give him restored watch back. Everyone wins.
This sounds like setting up a heartbreak in the future!!

Could offer the 16610... interesting idea.

The sentimental aspect is priceless on this one whether it runs or not. Its more than just a financial treasure to him. It would be great to keep it in the family though and pay it some respect. I can't imagine where it is sitting now just rotting away. Will keep up the pursuit!

Pete
Member #745
Old 9 March 2014, 07:03 AM   #21
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Don't give up. That beauty deserves to be running nice a d sitting on a wrist.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2014, 08:54 AM   #22
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Considering the age, it is in good shape. The crystal says nothing. Even my 5513 scratches in 5 minutes after I wear it. From the looks of the bezel and the case, it seems that the watch was not tortured, so, unless there was a water leak inside, restarting shall not be that difficult.

If he lives close, go by and polish the crystal, or even better have the back removed and check.

Its worth trying anyway

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote