The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 June 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
dp2007

Watch: Speedmaster
Speedmaster Professional Accuracy?

I've recently purchased a Speedmaster Professional and I've got a question on the accuracy. It's gained 4 minutes in roughly 14 days? I know some machanicals gain or loose a certain amount but what is acceptable? Probably more to the point is it worth sending back to AD, would they adjust it or send back to Omega.

How would this compare with a Rolex GMT or Sub?
dp2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 01:39 AM   #2
JoeSiR
"TRF" Member

Do you wind it once a day at the same moment?? Thsi is the best way to keep accurancy!
JoeSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp2007 View Post
I've recently purchased a Speedmaster Professional and I've got a question on the accuracy. It's gained 4 minutes in roughly 14 days? I know some machanicals gain or loose a certain amount but what is acceptable? Probably more to the point is it worth sending back to AD, would they adjust it or send back to Omega.

How would this compare with a Rolex GMT or Sub?
That's +17. Way high. Get it regulated, either at a good watch shop, or Omega.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 03:23 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's difficult to compare a Speedy to a GMT or a Sub.. Those are COSC time-pieces, and the Speedy is not. They also operate at 28,800 BPH and the Speedy is around 19,000 BPH.

That said, I have never had a recent Speedy that is as far off as yours..

I presently have a Speedmaster with the Lemania 1861 movement, and it performs within a couple of seconds per 24 hrs, and also, since it is a slightly slower beat than the Rolex, it is more responsive to position adjustments at night, and I can easily keep it within a second or two per day...

Most modern movements are capable of operating within the COSC standard, not because there is a standard, but because most people demand it from an expensive time-piece. Any recent Speedy should be able to be regulated to stay within a few seconds daily..
Old 18 June 2009, 05:18 AM   #5
dp2007

Thanks for replies. The watch is fully wound at the same time every morning, the watch is laid on its back overnight. This is the second speedy I've had and I don't think I had any issues with timekeeping accuracy on the first. It's still in warranty so it's going back to omega.
Old 18 June 2009, 01:32 PM   #6
14060man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for replies. The watch is fully wound at the same time every morning, the watch is laid on its back overnight. This is the second speedy I've had and I don't think I had any issues with timekeeping accuracy on the first. It's still in warranty so it's going back to omega.
bummer. i think omega's accepted tolerance for the speedy is +10. yours it way outside of that. what a hassle to buy a $3k timepiece and then have to send it back to omega. omega is notorious for having poor repair service.
14060man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 01:53 PM   #7
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
My watches have kept time at different rates after each service.

If a watch consistently gains or loses then I see it as a simple matter of regulation, and most watchmakers specializing in a particular brand should have no difficulty regulating a watch and having it back to you in a week.

I haven't had a manual watch with a clutch, to my knowledge, and so with experience I have learned the number of "winds" it takes to keep a given watch running reliably.

I wind my grandfather's 1940 Hamilton 992B 21 times, right when I wake up, and it gains exactly 4 seconds a day, every day, without fail.
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
tomovich

Watch: Not enough room...
My Speedmaster manual wind moon watch is almost a year old. I use the chronograph occasionally. It originally ran spot on but now it's about 20 ~ 30 seconds slow in about a weeks time.
tomovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2009, 08:46 PM   #9
dp2007

Speedmaster quality control?

I've contacted the AD about the accuracy issue and the said they would need to send it back to Omega to test the accuracy.

A company of this calibre with quality control in place should already have tested the watch for accuracy before issue. Sending the watch back to have it regulated tends to indicate they are not tested before issue. no wonder there are complaints about Omega on this forum. Obviously they won't replace the watch as it needs to be tested. Looks like a long wait to get any result on this.
Old 19 June 2009, 04:13 PM   #10
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp2007
I've contacted the AD about the accuracy issue and the said they would need to send it back to Omega to test the accuracy.
That doesn't make sense to me.

Check out these watch-testing machines at TZ Tool Shop:

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page164.html
Old 20 June 2009, 03:00 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

A company of this calibre with quality control in place should already have tested the watch for accuracy before issue. Sending the watch back to have it regulated tends to indicate they are not tested before issue. no wonder there are complaints about Omega on this forum. Obviously they won't replace the watch as it needs to be tested. Looks like a long wait to get any result on this.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here......... Do you expect Omega to replace your watch because it is running faster than you think it should ?

There are many reasons why a watch may run differently after shipping and handling than it did when first assembled..

...However, if the watch is still under warranty...and you want warranty adjustments; the Dealer is unlikely to open the case and will send it back to the factory...this is pretty standard.

But, look at the Omega Service Center Sticky...there are plenty of Authorized Service Centers around, perhaps one close by, that will regulate under warranty for you... it's not that difficult.
Old 20 June 2009, 03:03 AM   #12
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:

Is there a Rolex trained watchmaker in your neighborhood? This may be a faster option for you, but you will have to pay for them to time your Speedy out and then regulate it. It may even be magnatized, who knows though until a watchmaker looks at it. It sounds as if your AD doesn't have a watchmaker that can check it on site, thats too bad.

I would do the same thing as you in this situation, sending it straight to Omega. Best of luck.

#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2009, 07:18 AM   #13
dp2007

Speedy Accuracy

Thanks for the replies and the comments. Firstly I believe the watch should be timed correctly from the factory, if there is an issue of possible alteration, for whatever reason, to the accuracy of the watch Omega should correct it, that is what quality control is about.

There are a number of AD who have watchmenders on site but I certainly would not go down this route, and never have, the watch goes straight back to manufacturer for correction. The repair or correction can then be recorded by the manufacturer on that watch. From forum postings Omega are not quick in responding to issues, I hope they prove me wrong.

Not many people buy a consumer item that has to be 'corrected' after purchase.
Old 20 June 2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Omega and Rolex now make many more precision watches per year than anyone would have ever guessed possible 30 years ago.

Human hands play a very small part in the making of these watches, and not every watch gets tested for time-keeping.

This sounds like a simple regulation issue, and if the watch gains or loses the same amount of time every day, regulation should fix the problem.

Personally, if I had a genuine Speedmaster Professional that kept consistent time, meaning, it gained or lost consistently, I would rather have it regulated by a competent watchmaker than not have it for a few months while Omega or Omega's representative regulated it and then sent it back to me.

Now, if the watch gained or lost a DIFFERENT amount of time every day, that would upset me, and I would send that watch back to Omega and, frankly, ask for a REPLACEMENT watch.

An inconsistent Omega would depress me to no end.
Old 23 June 2009, 01:36 PM   #15
bazzopaul

I sent my speedy to omega for service few weeks ago 'cause it like -12 sec/day. The first day that I got it back it was +6 sec/day. But right after the first day it started to slow like 9 to 10 sec. per day. I know I know. Dial face up at night to gain a few sec. Check with the same source at the same time consistanly. I'll wait for another week to see if it corrects itself, otherwise back to service. I had a midsize auto seamaster that I ended up selling cause 2 trips to service and never got fixed with the slowing problem. Currently own a planet ocean beside the speedy for the omega brand. The PO is the most accurate among all my auto watches. Only +2/day
bazzopaul is offline   Reply With Quote