The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 June 2008, 08:26 AM   #1
neilgader
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680 Red Sub
Vintage Matte dial lume changes

Why is it that some vintage matte dial tritium lume markers tend to yellow while others look nearly original and bright. My 1680 3.3mil is almost as white as the day it was puurchased new in 1974 (by me, btw)
neilgader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 08:48 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Neil, This is a question that collectors have debated back and forth for a long time and I'm not sure anyone has come up with an answer that satisfies all.

What you're refering to is called "patina"--the markers and hands turning color to a pale ivory in some cases to a coffee color to a darkened brown in some cases.

Let's look at the common explanations and ..."explore".

There are those that feel it's exposure over the years to UV radiation (sun light).
However, this does not explain why some watches that have had heavy exposure over the years maintain white markers while others (as has been reported) that have been kept in darkened conditions--collections in bank vaults seen to feature some darkening of the markers.

Another explanation has been lack of service--allowing moisture in causing the indices to "turn" (as well as discoloration of the dial in some cases.

I think in some cases there's a bit of merit to this one.

Some feel it's the natural drying of the bonding agent that holds the tritium and phosphors together in the markers. The bonding agent accounts for about 90% of what we see.

I'm getting more and more comfortable with this one as it's known that over the years Rolex has played with the mixture used on their dials.

I do think preservation is related to maintance as I've seen some pretty ragged examples that were simply abused over the years, but mixture has got to be a factor also.

Having said that I reserve the right, like my wife, to change my opinion with little or no notice.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 09:04 AM   #3
neilgader
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680 Red Sub
Interesting Mike and thanks for the possible explanations. I will say that mine has lived it's life in So. Cal where it typically remains pretty dry. Servcing was sporadic. the first visit to RSC in 1978- the next in the 90s and finally this year for the most recent. In any case it looks pretty much like the day I bought it.
neilgader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 12:11 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Excellent post, Mike!

Thanks for sharing!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 12:43 AM   #5
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
You're the man, Mike!!!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2008, 03:34 AM   #6
Antonio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 16030
Hello,

The reason of that 'yellow' or patina is because of the oxidation/damage of the Zinc Sulphide over the years because of the damage done by the tritium/radium and the oxygen (its more common to see it in radium watches, like a more yellow), as you can see in almost any old or vintage watch. The ZnS turns yellow when it has been oxidized, and is white like the snow while it is 'fresh'.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote