The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 January 2024, 08:10 PM   #1
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Question for all 5-digit submariner owners

Would value the opinions here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I bought the current iteration BLRO in 2018. I wore it quite a lot in 2019 and 2020, but as they say, tastes change. I’ve always found the watch to be big, bulky, and certainly loud. A few years ago I didn’t mind that. But with the popularity of Rolex and all the hype it brings, I’m not sure I can do with the PCLs and ceramic bezels anymore. Just not my speed if that makes sense.

I’m considering swapping my BLRO for a NOS 5-digit green bezel submariner. I own a Tudor 79090 and love the way it wears. Compact, not bulky, and not nearly as bright as a BLRO. I was told 5-digit subs wear very close to the same.

On paper, it seems like the 5-digit green sub checks all boxes. Better case proportions, not as bright (albeit still green!), maxi plots, plus it was a significant anniversary model which is really cool to me.

Would anyone here mind to chime in? I value any and all opinions. Only thing I’m not overly keen on discussing is $$. I buy watches with the intention of holding and enjoying every day. Investments are with Vanguard.

Appreciate any perspectives on the matter.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 08:25 PM   #2
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I had a 16610 LV but didn't bond with it at all, just felt much more modern even than a 16610 90s tritium - I think it was the big plots, non lug holes, solid end links etc etc...If you like the 79090 feel I suspect your smitten with low centre of gravity of a plexi (over say a 79190 sapphire which feel slightly chunkier/different). Similar Rolex that have that low c.o.g. would be 16750, 5513 and 1680.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 08:29 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That’s such a tough call Mitchell. I can see the appeal of 5 digit references for sure.

Modern 6 digits wear so much different than the 5 digits though, so I’d recommend if you’re anywhere near a store to try on a 5 digit first.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 08:32 PM   #4
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
I had a 16610 LV but didn't bond with it at all, just felt much more modern even than a 16610 90s tritium - I think it was the big plots, non lug holes, solid end links etc etc...If you like the 79090 feel I suspect your smitten with low centre of gravity of a plexi (over say a 79190 sapphire which feel slightly chunkier/different). Similar Rolex that have that low c.o.g. would be 16750, 5513 and 1680.
Extremely helpful Paul, thanks for your input.

I’ve never heard the Tudor described as have a low CG, but that phrase is perfect for it. I love how flat it sits on the wrist. It really does feel like it’s fixed on my wrist. I felt the same about the prior Explorers, namely 14270 and 11 series.

I’ll take a look at the references you suggested. Thanks again.
Old 29 January 2024, 08:36 PM   #5
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s such a tough call Mitchell. I can see the appeal of 5 digit references for sure.

Modern 6 digits wear so much different than the 5 digits though, so I’d recommend if you’re anywhere near a store to try on a 5 digit first.
Good call Brian, thanks. My only baseline has been old Explorer 1’s and the Tudor. But even for those, the wearing experience had been so much more enjoyable. Personal preference of course. Not knocking those that love contemporary Rolex at all.

6-digit to me feels like a crafted machine, which is great. Amazing to look at. But 5 (and perhaps 4) feels more like art. Imperfect, sorta flimsy, but man I love it.

When I’m back in the states soon I’ll drop by a secondary dealer to see a few in person.
Old 29 January 2024, 08:43 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Good call Brian, thanks. My only baseline has been old Explorer 1’s and the Tudor. But even for those, the wearing experience had been so much more enjoyable. Personal preference of course. Not knocking those that love contemporary Rolex at all.

6-digit to me feels like a crafted machine, which is great. Amazing to look at. But 5 (and perhaps 4) feels more like art. Imperfect, sorta flimsy, but man I love it.

When I’m back in the states soon I’ll drop by a secondary dealer to see a few in person.
Great that you’ll have the opportunity to do this

I was looking to add a 16710 blro a while back, and had the opportunity to try one on at Bucherer during the holidays. I was wearing my 126710 so I had the two right there, side by side to compare.

Your description above is spot on

It all comes down to wearer preference
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 09:13 PM   #7
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600 & 9411
I had never thought about the CoG effect, as Paul says. Interesting observation. The high dome/top hats can make the 4-digit Subs seem bulkier than they are, whereas the 5-digit (e.g. 16610) always feels quite sleek to me.
Old 29 January 2024, 09:39 PM   #8
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom9 View Post
I had never thought about the CoG effect, as Paul says. Interesting observation. The high dome/top hats can make the 4-digit Subs seem bulkier than they are, whereas the 5-digit (e.g. 16610) always feels quite sleek to me.
Noted, I'll definitely have to try them in-person. I was under the impression that the Tudor 79090 wore similarly to 5-digit Rolex subs.

This is a perfect case of money burning a hole in my pocket. I'd rather not sell the BLRO outright, as I'm not in a need for the funds. Would rather move it into something I'll actually enjoy wearing.
Old 29 January 2024, 09:42 PM   #9
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Would value the opinions here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I bought the current iteration BLRO in 2018. I wore it quite a lot in 2019 and 2020, but as they say, tastes change. I’ve always found the watch to be big, bulky, and certainly loud. A few years ago I didn’t mind that. But with the popularity of Rolex and all the hype it brings, I’m not sure I can do with the PCLs and ceramic bezels anymore. Just not my speed if that makes sense.

I’m considering swapping my BLRO for a NOS 5-digit green bezel submariner. I own a Tudor 79090 and love the way it wears. Compact, not bulky, and not nearly as bright as a BLRO. I was told 5-digit subs wear very close to the same.

On paper, it seems like the 5-digit green sub checks all boxes. Better case proportions, not as bright (albeit still green!), maxi plots, plus it was a significant anniversary model which is really cool to me.

Would anyone here mind to chime in? I value any and all opinions. Only thing I’m not overly keen on discussing is $$. I buy watches with the intention of holding and enjoying every day. Investments are with Vanguard.

Appreciate any perspectives on the matter.
I would make that move. While I own and appreciate 6 digit references, the 5 digit proportions and non-ceramic aesthetic are pinnacle Rolex to me, as they need not be babied either.

I feel like you won’t be able to “unsee” what you’ve landed on with your BLRO, and the 16610LV is a wonderful reference. It will always remain collectible as the anniversary Submariner with Date, and the green aluminum bezel has an incredible look that ceramic can’t match.

NOS LV pricing should be comparable to your BLRO (assuming not a “Flat 4”), and you get benefit of know all marks and memories were yours.

An easy decision if it were up to me based on context provided. Sounds like you’ve also already made it when you say the LV already “checks all the boxes.”

Good luck!
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 10:15 PM   #10
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
I would make that move. While I own and appreciate 6 digit references, the 5 digit proportions and non-ceramic aesthetic are pinnacle Rolex to me, as they need not be babied either.

I feel like you won’t be able to “unsee” what you’ve landed on with your BLRO, and the 16610LV is a wonderful reference. It will always remain collectible as the anniversary Submariner with Date, and the green aluminum bezel has an incredible look that ceramic can’t match.

NOS LV pricing should be comparable to your BLRO (assuming not a “Flat 4”), and you get benefit of know all marks and memories were yours.

An easy decision if it were up to me based on context provided. Sounds like you’ve also already made it when you say the LV already “checks all the boxes.”

Good luck!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with both 5 and 6 digit Rolex. Every comment I’ve received so far is exactly why I posted it in this sub-forum instead of the main. I figured I’d get flamed for even considering the idea of selling the “Pepsi,” likely from people that haven’t owned 5-digit before. Talk about a breath of fresh air.

Your comment on the benefit of NOS is exactly why I’m considering it. How cool is it to essentially buy a time capsule? I never had the luxury of buying a brand new 5-digit sub, so this is as close as I’ll get.

From the advice of the group, I’m going to try a few different models out and decide. Once my mind is made up, I’ll then look for the absolute best example of that model that I can find. I love how 5-digit can still be seen as a good value compared the current current craze.

If anyone has any other models I should check, please let me know!
Old 29 January 2024, 10:49 PM   #11
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with both 5 and 6 digit Rolex. Every comment I’ve received so far is exactly why I posted it in this sub-forum instead of the main. I figured I’d get flamed for even considering the idea of selling the “Pepsi,” likely from people that haven’t owned 5-digit before. Talk about a breath of fresh air.

Your comment on the benefit of NOS is exactly why I’m considering it. How cool is it to essentially buy a time capsule? I never had the luxury of buying a brand new 5-digit sub, so this is as close as I’ll get.

From the advice of the group, I’m going to try a few different models out and decide. Once my mind is made up, I’ll then look for the absolute best example of that model that I can find. I love how 5-digit can still be seen as a good value compared the current current craze.

I have both and I say 5 digit all the way. I rarely wear my ceramics and think of moving them as well. I would try on a 16710 on jubilee if you can find one. Awesome watch!
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 11:19 PM   #12
77T

I am a fan of 5-digit models so admittedly biased.

If there is a way to swing a purchase without sacrificing your existing watch, I recommend that. Because it’d be a shame if you didn’t like the NOS LV and then wished you had your current watch back.

By doing a “bridging” deal for 90 days you can be certain without jeopardizing your own satisfaction. Just sell off the one you liked less.

Or, I predict, both will stay in the stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 11:35 PM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

1990s tritium 5-digits are ok for an occasional rainy day, but I much prefer the true vintage models.
Old 29 January 2024, 11:54 PM   #14
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
I have both and I say 5 digit all the way. I rarely wear my ceramics and think of moving them as well. I would try on a 16710 on jubilee if you can find one. Awesome watch!
Will take a look, thanks! I do like the GMT complication, as I travel frequently. But who are we all kidding; a little mental math isn't too hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I am a fan of 5-digit models so admittedly biased.

If there is a way to swing a purchase without sacrificing your existing watch, I recommend that. Because it’d be a shame if you didn’t like the NOS LV and then wished you had your current watch back.

By doing a “bridging” deal for 90 days you can be certain without jeopardizing your own satisfaction. Just sell off the one you liked less.

Or, I predict, both will stay in the stable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The idea of bridging a 90-day deal is a good one, albeit I don't think I'll look back on the BLRO... I hope I'm not sounding overly critical toward Rolex, but the only modern Rolex I enjoy in the catalogue is the Explorer 1. Solely because it's not far off from the 14270 and 11, which I loved. The rest of the catalogue, to me, feels like such a far cry from the predecessors. For example, I tried a modern submariner months ago, and the clasp was so large it was an immediate no. All that coupled with Rolex moving toward shiny ceramic inserts, and seemingly polishing every surface they can. Just not my style.

Personally, cash flow is good, investments are fine. I guess I could go without selling, but I just do not see myself wearing it anymore. This after ~2 years of almost 0 wear. It feels like money burning a hole in my pocket at this point. I'm afraid the only given is that the BLRO is boxed and ready to fly.
Old 29 January 2024, 11:59 PM   #15
physicist
"TRF" Member

I have a 79090 and a 16610 and, while they wear the same on the wrist, I prefer to wear the 16610 because of the more scratch resistant sapphire crystal.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 01:11 AM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I normally wear and prefer the GMT models, both the vintage 1675/16750 models and the sapphire 16710.

I also have a few vintage Submariners and couple sapphire Submariners to include the 14060, the 16610 and 16610LV. I have been wearing the sapphire Submariners more often recently and the 16610 seems to be getting much more wrist time than the GMTs.

The Submariner 16610LV is also a great model and in my opinion, it is probably the best value in the Rolex line from the past 20 years. It has appreciated substantially since its release during late 2003 and I see no reason why it won't continue to do so. If you are looking for the 16610LV, grab yourself a complete set and you won't regret it.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:30 AM   #17
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:

Another model to check out is the 16600 Sea-Dweller. A little beefier than the 16610 but wears nicely for me. NOS should be easier to find.

Couple more thoughts -- Have you considered swapping out your PCL oyster for the jubilee?? I would be tempted to do this and add a regular sub!

If you get the kermit, you could swap out the bezel for a black one and have a maxi dial 16610LN! Happy hunting for whatever you decide!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 02:57 AM   #18
Ketler
"TRF" Member

I tried the 6 digit Subs and SDs (Even though I knew deep down I wouldn't like them )
And in the end sold them all and went back to my 14060m and my 16600...
As far as I'm concerned, these are two of the best watches Rolex ever produced.
Much subtler then the 6 digit pieces...
Time tested workhorse movements...
Nicer case design...
More comfortable (At least for me)...
And prices on these have come down of late...Great time to buy...
I simply can't say enough about them...

IMG_1414.jpeg
Ketler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 03:14 AM   #19
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicist View Post
I have a 79090 and a 16610 and, while they wear the same on the wrist, I prefer to wear the 16610 because of the more scratch resistant sapphire crystal.
Awesome! Thanks for your confirmation. I thought I read somewhere that they wore similarly. Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I normally wear and prefer the GMT models, both the vintage 1675/16750 models and the sapphire 16710.

I also have a few vintage Submariners and couple sapphire Submariners to include the 14060, the 16610 and 16610LV. I have been wearing the sapphire Submariners more often recently and the 16610 seems to be getting much more wrist time than the GMTs.

The Submariner 16610LV is also a great model and in my opinion, it is probably the best value in the Rolex line from the past 20 years. It has appreciated substantially since its release during late 2003 and I see no reason why it won't continue to do so. If you are looking for the 16610LV, grab yourself a complete set and you won't regret it.
Appreciate it! That's the goal. I found a really nice, NOS full set version and it's certainly caught my eye. But as another noted, it's one of those things that once you go in on it, you're in. I will wear the living h#%^ out of the thing too, so won't be NOS for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
Another model to check out is the 16600 Sea-Dweller. A little beefier than the 16610 but wears nicely for me. NOS should be easier to find.

Couple more thoughts -- Have you considered swapping out your PCL oyster for the jubilee?? I would be tempted to do this and add a regular sub!

If you get the kermit, you could swap out the bezel for a black one and have a maxi dial 16610LN! Happy hunting for whatever you decide!
Good call on the SD. I've always been an admirer of the older versions, especially since they lacked a cyclops on the crystal. I'll do a deeper dive into them.

Re: the bracelets, I actually have both. I was lucky enough to get a BLRO brand new shortly after Baselworld 2018, and at the time only the jubilee was available. Then when the oyster was announced I called the same dealer and they got me a new one for ~$2k at the time. But honestly I feel like they're both just as noticeable on the wrist. I almost feel like I'm wearing a disco ball on my wrist. Every surface on the BLRO shines. I'd get rid of the full set for the next watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketler View Post
I tried the 6 digit Subs and SDs (Even though I knew deep down I wouldn't like them )
And in the end sold them all and went back to my 14060m and my 16600...
As far as I'm concerned, these are two of the best watches Rolex ever produced.
Much subtler then the 6 digit pieces...
Time tested workhorse movements...
Nicer case design...
More comfortable (At least for me)...
And prices on these have come down of late...Great time to buy...
I simply can't say enough about them...

Attachment 1416336
Awesome photo. See an image like this sings to me. Brushed, diminutive lugs, aluminum, and just plain awesome. Glad to know I'm not the only one that will go backwards from 6 to 5-digit Rolex.
Old 30 January 2024, 04:37 AM   #20
subx
"TRF" Member

I have Subs from 4,5, and 6 digit lines: All have their wrist time but:
considering you feel the 6 digit pepsi is bulky and loud:

the 16610LV is a great mix of 5 digit more classic less bulky proportions AND a 'Pop' of excitement (maxi markets, green bezel)

IF you don't need the 'Pop' : the 16600 is probably the most comfortable and perfect mix of classic meets modern: bit more interesting compared to 16610 (more technical, no bubble, escape valve, engraved back, dweller buckle etc) but still not bulky at all.

good luck !
Old 30 January 2024, 06:01 AM   #21
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
It's funny I stumbled on this thread. I recently had a fun exchange with someone at a bar who had a five digit sub, he tried on my six and I tried on his five.

I really fell in love with it. The common belief that Tudor is like a five digit sub is completely off. The aluminum bezel was very well done.

I would love to add a five digit myself as a sidekick to the six digit 41 date.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:24 AM   #22
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
For me the 5 digit references are perfect if you can do the trade then why not I say
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:31 AM   #23
physicist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
It's funny I stumbled on this thread. I recently had a fun exchange with someone at a bar who had a five digit sub, he tried on my six and I tried on his five.

I really fell in love with it. The common belief that Tudor is like a five digit sub is completely off. The aluminum bezel was very well done.

My black bay 58 is a much higher quality watch than my 16610, just in general every day terms. The bezel on the 16610 is terrible, comparatively. The BB feels much better, more solid and refined. Of course the 16610 is 34 years old, so that is part of it, I’m sure. My 79090 bezel is a disgrace to bezels, but I love the watch, as it was my first mechanical watch.
Old 30 January 2024, 06:49 AM   #24
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
The 6 digit pieces do absolutely NOTHING for me. The only modern 6 digit that ever caught my eye was the 116710LN… that piece, while chunky, is a real beaut!

Other than that, I’m strictly a 5 digit collector. I would say go for it! 5 digits >>>>>> 6 digits imo - the absolute pinnacle of Rolex!

I would say, owning both a 16610 LN and LV, that the LV isn’t particularly versatile. I wear mine almost exclusively in the summer months etc.

If I were you, I would consider picking up an LN insert as well! Many of us back in the day went to our ADs and asked to have our LV inserts swapped out for LNs.

That way you get the versatility and classic aesthetic of the submariner, while also being able to swap back to your Kermit whenever you like. It’s essentially like having 2 watches in 1. Plus it’s a cool look and very sharp!

Either way, I’m with you. Get rid of the 6 digit Pepsi, especially considering you aren’t enjoying it!

Cheers

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:34 AM   #25
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I think either way move on the GMT. I thought I wanted an LV until I tried it on. With five digit I prefer the 90s stuff. I would strongly recommend looking at a 16600 like mentioned above. Its a wonderful reference and easy to find in good condition at a fair price.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 07:47 AM   #26
physicist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I think either way move on the GMT. I thought I wanted an LV until I tried it on. With five digit I prefer the 90s stuff. I would strongly recommend looking at a 16600 like mentioned above. Its a wonderful reference and easy to find in good condition at a fair price.
I agree. The 5 digit sea dweller is a great watch.
Old 30 January 2024, 08:33 AM   #27
Helidoc
"TRF" Member

I’m very 5 digit focused, although I have been locked out of the 6 digits as I’m not the ADs preferred type of customer. For balance, I have been waiting for a BLRO since 2019, but that was to balance my 5 figure watches, 16610 from new, 14060M 4 liner, 16570, 14270 Swiss only.

I love the 5 digits, a time when Rolex made tool watches rather than ceramic shiny bling. The bracelets are often criticised, but I have never wanted for more, even with the hollow end linked 14060.

Not that I would send you down any kind of rabbit hole, but I love my Tudor 94010 most of all, and am giving some serious thought to a blue 79090 and a matte Maxi 5513.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Helidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 10:03 AM   #28
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I get it! tastes do change. I sold my 2018 BLRO and a few other six digit pieces in the last year or so. I've concluded I prefer 5 digit pieces more. Now have a 2011 14060M and an F serial 16710. Also enjoying an 06 Omega Seamaster and a 17 Planet Ocean. I did keep my DJ41. I'm not saying anything is wrong with them, I'm just personally over the Rolex six digit sports line after chasing them for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 04:57 PM   #29
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

nice watches and well said
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2024, 06:19 PM   #30
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

All- I'm sorry I've kept this thread alive likely longer than I should have. But just want to say that I appreciate all comments. Thank you. I'm creating a list of references to look into, and feel much more liberated with my decision. Months ago I wavered back and forth with this, given that the BLRO has my name on the warranty card, I've had it for almost 6 years, supposed to go to the kids eventually, etc. but what's the point of owning a watch that you can't enjoy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subx View Post
I have Subs from 4,5, and 6 digit lines: All have their wrist time but:
considering you feel the 6 digit pepsi is bulky and loud:

the 16610LV is a great mix of 5 digit more classic less bulky proportions AND a 'Pop' of excitement (maxi markets, green bezel)

IF you don't need the 'Pop' : the 16600 is probably the most comfortable and perfect mix of classic meets modern: bit more interesting compared to 16610 (more technical, no bubble, escape valve, engraved back, dweller buckle etc) but still not bulky at all.

good luck !
Your comments are spot on! I dig the 16610 green bezel because of its classic feel but pop of excitement. Well said. Also really appreciate that it was unique at the time. Just my opinion, but every green sub since then just doesn't have the same feeling. Especially the current one with the black dial. It feels so...expected. Considering the WG sub also went with a black dial it just doesn't have the same pizzazz. The 16610 green was truly unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post

Awesome! I hope you're able to get a good one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
For me the 5 digit references are perfect if you can do the trade then why not I say
Thanks for the support Marty! Exactly why I'm here

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicist View Post
My black bay 58 is a much higher quality watch than my 16610, just in general every day terms. The bezel on the 16610 is terrible, comparatively. The BB feels much better, more solid and refined. Of course the 16610 is 34 years old, so that is part of it, I’m sure. My 79090 bezel is a disgrace to bezels, but I love the watch, as it was my first mechanical watch.
I had a BB58. Kept it for a little while but sold it. I couldn't get over the coin-edge bezel. IDK, probably doesn't make sense to most but I appreciate the 'teeth' that Rolex bezels have. If the BB58 had that, I wouldn't have started this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
The 6 digit pieces do absolutely NOTHING for me. The only modern 6 digit that ever caught my eye was the 116710LN… that piece, while chunky, is a real beaut!

Other than that, I’m strictly a 5 digit collector. I would say go for it! 5 digits >>>>>> 6 digits imo - the absolute pinnacle of Rolex!

I would say, owning both a 16610 LN and LV, that the LV isn’t particularly versatile. I wear mine almost exclusively in the summer months etc.

If I were you, I would consider picking up an LN insert as well! Many of us back in the day went to our ADs and asked to have our LV inserts swapped out for LNs.

That way you get the versatility and classic aesthetic of the submariner, while also being able to swap back to your Kermit whenever you like. It’s essentially like having 2 watches in 1. Plus it’s a cool look and very sharp!

Either way, I’m with you. Get rid of the 6 digit Pepsi, especially considering you aren’t enjoying it!

Cheers
Good to know around versatility, as it's extremely important. I wear watches non-stop, and don't have a vast collection because I don't want them collecting dust. Everything I buy is intended to be thrown into my day-to-day. No plastic stickers here

Perhaps a black bezel would be more appropriate. Thanks for your insights on ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I think either way move on the GMT. I thought I wanted an LV until I tried it on. With five digit I prefer the 90s stuff. I would strongly recommend looking at a 16600 like mentioned above. It's a wonderful reference and easy to find in good condition at a fair price.
Thanks! Already on the hunt for a 16600. Found some really good options, and as you put it, seem to be fairly priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidoc View Post
I’m very 5 digit focused, although I have been locked out of the 6 digits as I’m not the ADs preferred type of customer. For balance, I have been waiting for a BLRO since 2019, but that was to balance my 5 figure watches, 16610 from new, 14060M 4 liner, 16570, 14270 Swiss only.

I love the 5 digits, a time when Rolex made tool watches rather than ceramic shiny bling. The bracelets are often criticised, but I have never wanted for more, even with the hollow end linked 14060.

Not that I would send you down any kind of rabbit hole, but I love my Tudor 94010 most of all, and am giving some serious thought to a blue 79090 and a matte Maxi 5513.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you should comment on the 9401/0 (or 94010?) I love that watch. I've been an admirer for quite some time. Problem is, I know what I know, and certainly don't know what I don't know. I'm in no position to be buying that type of vintage. I don't know what to look for, can't tell if things are authentic, etc. It's a minefield for me.

I hope you end up getting a BLRO. It's an awesome watch. I'm just at the point where I enjoy looking at it more than I enjoy wearing it. Nonsensical, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
I get it! tastes do change. I sold my 2018 BLRO and a few other six digit pieces in the last year or so. I've concluded I prefer 5 digit pieces more. Now have a 2011 14060M and an F serial 16710. Also enjoying an 06 Omega Seamaster and a 17 Planet Ocean. I did keep my DJ41. I'm not saying anything is wrong with them, I'm just personally over the Rolex six digit sports line after chasing them for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Awesome! Almost identical situation to mine. Again glad to know this is more common than I initially thought it would be. Modern Rolex commands an incredible premium, with the BLRO being no exception. I figured it's a good time to move on from something I don't wear to something I can throw in the mix with no hesitation.

How do you like the 14060m? Seems like a perfect watch, so I'm intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
nice watches and well said
Thanks!