The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2009, 12:03 AM   #1
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
DateJust 41mm - the perfect dress/sports blend? - your views...

Guys, now that a couple of months have passed since Basel, I would be interested to hear your (respected and valued ) opinions on the updated DateJust 41mm.

As I am sure that any of you who have read my posts on here are more than aware, I am indeed a fan and have put myself down for one when they reach AD's around September time (dont let this influence your posts, please)

In my opinon (and I am relatively new, so read into this however you wish) I feel that the larger, redesigned 41mm DJ is the perfect (well, 'perfect' is a strong word) blend of use in a casual (sport) and formal (dress) environment - especially with the black stick dial and oyster as per the image above...

Okay, so not so literally in terms of features and functionality (i.e. chrono, bezel, gmt hand etc) but you get what I am trying to say - it is a good sports/dress blend IMO. The Daytona looks great both sports and dress, but would you wear a chrono with a dinner suit in particular? Equally, the milgauss - the second hand ruins this for wear with a dinner suit IMO, and there is no date window for everyday or 'sports' functionality (e.g. Subs, GMT's etc)

I dont intend this to be a 'what looks best with a Tux' thread, or a comparison between Daytona's/Millies/other models (after all, it is personal taste) so please come forward with your views on the DJII and its cross-environment suitability!

CHEEEEERS guys
jameshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:11 AM   #2
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

41mm is in the right direction for sure...... the 36mm is just too small for a man... im looking forward to seeing the 41mm in person...
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
swatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
I need to see the ratio between the dial size and the bezel in person.
I feel they have not increased the dial size enough.
swatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:16 AM   #4
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I must admit I wasnt sold on the Day DATE II when I tried it on - although both times it was in YG with a white arabic or roman dial (cant remember which) - it really wasnt my 'cup of tea' - I think the colour combo moreso than anything. I am 20 after all, so a solid gold watch with a white face (think it 'washes out' the YG) really doesnt suit anyhow... The YG DD 36mm on the other hand I think I could make an exception for!

Anyhow, in stainless, with an oyster band (non concealed clasp unlike president etc) I think the case will feel a lot more balanced. In addition, the stick dials will suit it more (filling the elongated space) and the black dial will also make it appear a little smaller (white makes things seem 'bigger' apparently)...

Oh, and I would have gone for a Roman, but not on the current oyster option in addition to the fact that there is a baton at 9 for some reason, and the arabic '55' '50' '45' band arond the outside of the indicators conflicts with it IMO
Old 9 May 2009, 12:18 AM   #5
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatch View Post
Yeah, this could be very interesting... worst case, if i dont like it when it arrives, I am not committed to this model (thanks to the kindly AD) and I will go for an original 36mm DJ in the same colours (with a jubilee aftermarket to interchange with the oyster)
Old 9 May 2009, 12:18 AM   #6
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

hopefully by the summer we will know!!!
Old 9 May 2009, 12:19 AM   #7
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I have my name down for a call (no deposit/commitment) for July or later, and then September/October or later at another AD, so may come through in the summer
Old 9 May 2009, 12:28 AM   #8
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Back toward the topic, what do you think about my view that it is a good blend of sports and classic dress elegance (as the 36mm was always renowned for)?
Old 9 May 2009, 12:36 AM   #9
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatch View Post
My feelings as well. It just looks disperportionate, but it may grow in me. I mean, when I first saw the GMT IIc, it did nothing for me. NOW it's my favorite in my collection! Only time will tell for me.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:38 AM   #10
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

i would want the 41mm on a jub. bracelet... so i would have to wait at least another year....
Old 9 May 2009, 12:38 AM   #11
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
My feelings as well. It just looks disperportionate, but it may grow in me. I mean, when I first saw the GMT IIc, it did nothing for me. NOW it's my favorite in my collection! Only time will tell for me.
V. Interesting DR! I cannot imagine a time when the GMT IIc was 'controversial'... It certainly isnt now, thats for sure
Old 9 May 2009, 12:40 AM   #12
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
i would want the 41mm on a jub. bracelet... so i would have to wait at least another year....
Yeah that is correct, although I will look into it when it arrives as to whether it is a 20mm or 21mm lug. I am a little intrigued as to whether a 'finer' bracelet may emphasise the chunkier case even further... as with many of these things, time will tell i guess
Old 9 May 2009, 12:51 AM   #13
KKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC
I hope I hate it.

I just bought my DJ and don't want to like the new one and then not like my original one anymore.

The thicker bezel gives it a more aggressive look and makes it look a little more sporty and less dressy. I have to see it on my wrist.
Old 9 May 2009, 12:54 AM   #14
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKB View Post
I hope I hate it.

I just bought my DJ and don't want to like the new one and then not like my original one anymore.

The thicker bezel gives it a more aggressive look and makes it look a little more sporty and less dressy. I have to see it on my wrist.
Very honest! Keep it coming!

Although, I think (despite them both being DJ's) they are almost like different models entirely (more of a 'milgauss date' IMO)
Old 9 May 2009, 01:03 AM   #15
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post

Although, I think (despite them both being DJ's) they are almost like different models entirely (more of a 'milgauss date' IMO)
different watches for sure..... the 36mm is going to look like a mid-size next to the 41mm datejust...
Old 9 May 2009, 01:13 AM   #16
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Sorry pal, but if its anything like the DDII, it's very disproportionate. I haven't seen a DJII in person yet, but I have seen the DDII. And the dial doesn't seem proportionate to the case; nor does the bezel either. The bezel is just too thick... I don't know. The milgauss has a nice bezel:case ratio... why can't they fix that on the DDII and possibly the DJII? I'm going to have to pass on this one..
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 01:16 AM   #17
KKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshelliwell View Post

I have a feeling this watch may be a great success, especially if it becomes available with lots of dial choices like the DJ. It fills a large niche for people who enjoy a sports watch's size and proportions, but want or need a dress watch.
Old 9 May 2009, 02:50 AM   #18
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
I must admit I like the DJII MUCH more than the DDII (or maybe just the one you pictured?). I don't know why

I tried on both a YG and Platinum DDII, and... yuck, the gigantic domed bezel on the Platinum made me especially nauseous! For your age (I'm only a couple of years older than you and already acting like an old man, yikes... ) it is suitable for anything, but then again, some people think a Submariner and running shoes are fit for formal wear, so it is all personal taste in the end.
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 03:12 AM   #19
arkwhaler

Watch: 114270
Quote:
41mm is in the right direction for sure...... the 36mm is just too small for a man... im looking forward to seeing the 41mm in person...
oh boy here we go again. . .

a man needs at least a 45 or 46mm watch if women are wearing 40mm.
why not go for 50mm?
arkwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 03:31 AM   #20
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkwhaler View Post
oh boy here we go again. . .

a man needs at least a 45 or 46mm watch if women are wearing 40mm.
why not go for 50mm?

Rolex Watches in 2025:

Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:22 AM   #21
AJF

Watch: 15223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post

Rolex Watches in 2025:

AJF
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:23 AM   #22
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

Rolex Watches in 2025:

Heh! That one just might satisfy rolexgiants.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:26 AM   #23
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Oh no...is it really??????

Old 9 May 2009, 04:27 AM   #24
AJF

Watch: 15223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Heh! That one just might satisfy rolexgiants.
I think two links need to come out of the bracelet in order for it to fit

AJF
AJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:36 AM   #25
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I must admit I like the DJII MUCH more than the DDII (or maybe just the one you pictured?). I don't know why

I tried on both a YG and Platinum DDII, and... yuck, the gigantic domed bezel on the Platinum made me especially nauseous! For your age (I'm only a couple of years older than you and already acting like an old man, yikes... ) it is suitable for anything, but then again, some people think a Submariner and running shoes are fit for formal wear, so it is all personal taste in the end.
Hey Yume-sama, cool post and very helpful indeed

By the way, that Platty DD you have in your avatar is iconic... it makes you somewhat of an icon on this forum! So therefore, your opinion and insight is particularly valued by me

And hey, congratulations on acheiving the collection you have and being only a couple of years ahead of me... if I am in the position you are when I am 22 then ought to be very proud .
Old 9 May 2009, 04:41 AM   #26
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I don't think that any 41mm watch is going to slip into the "dress" category very easily.... So, I would say the New DJ II is not a cross over, but a casual, business, to semi dress watch..

For those of you who like to wear pie-tins strapped on your wrists when you "dress up" for an evening out at the Taco Bell, then perhaps...

But for the rest of us who actually do know the difference between white tie, black tie and business attire.........it's a no-brainer...

Old 9 May 2009, 04:48 AM   #27
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

But for the rest of us who actually do know the difference between white tie, black tie and business attire.........it's a no-brainer...

Well said!
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:48 AM   #28
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I don't think that any 41mm watch is going to slip into the "dress" category very easily.... So, I would say the New DJ II is not a cross over, but a casual, business, to semi dress watch..

For those of you who like to wear pie-tins strapped on your wrists when you "dress up" for an evening out at the Taco Bell, then perhaps...

well said...and yes..it does feel like groundhog day
Old 9 May 2009, 04:52 AM   #29
vambeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXROLEXROLEXROLEXR
Hi James,

Its funny i was just going to start a new thread named " 36mm for a dress watch, 40mm for sport watch, opinions please" I consider the DJ 36mm to be a dress watch or a watch that looks good with a shirt and suit. The 40mm such as a gmt or sub is a sports watch a watch for more casual wear. I have a sub lv that i love and a oyster that is 36mm with a fluted bezel which i love also but certainly looks better with a shirt. Just my opinion, Iam sure loads will disagree!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17042009212.jpg (60.9 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg 25042009236.jpg (61.1 KB, 476 views)
vambeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 05:05 AM   #30
arkwhaler

Watch: 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by vambeck View Post
Hi James,

Its funny i was just going to start a new thread named " 36mm for a dress watch, 40mm for sport watch, opinions please" I consider the DJ 36mm to be a dress watch or a watch that looks good with a shirt and suit. The 40mm such as a gmt or sub is a sports watch a watch for more casual wear. I have a sub lv that i love and a oyster that is 36mm with a fluted bezel which i love also but certainly looks better with a shirt. Just my opinion, Iam sure loads will disagree!!
No I agree fully. I bought the exp to try to do both, but I'm sure a 40mm is in my future somewhere.
arkwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote