The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 August 2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Omega Serial Number Chart..

It is difficult to date an early Omega. Until recently when Omega started to put the serial number on the lugs, the serial number is usually found on the movement so it requires that the caseback be opened or the movement taken out..

Never the less, if you have the number here is a chart for dating your Omega...

http://watches.ryanrooney.com/omegasn.html

Old 12 October 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
jmsrolls
Banned

Here's the problem with using Ryan's chart (or any chart for that matter):

Every Speedy Pro has a unique number on the escape wheel bridge. (On later model Speedy Pros, this number is also engraved on the back of the 7:00 lug.) Most refer to this as the movement number but more accurately, this number should be called the "escape wheel bridge" number. As they are machined and engraved, these individually numbered bridges are collectively placed in parts bins awaiting assembly into the movements.

During the assembly process, these numbered bridges are randomly selected from the bins and installed along with the other parts. No one takes the time to remove them from the bins in order; i.e., first in, first out. Note that this selection process might permit a bridge to sit in a bin for years before being used.

Once assembled, the movements are "put on the shelf" for later installation in the cases. Again these movements are randomly pulled for installation in the cases. No one takes the time or the effort to insure "first in, first out". It may be some time (even years) before an assembled movement is installed in a case.

Obviously, the parts bin may contain a mixture of bridges produced over the years a particular movement was produced. For example, the cal. 1863 has been in production since the mid-1990s. The parts bin could conceivably contain bridges manufactured and numbered in 1996, or any year since, creating the possibility that a movement assembled in 2008 might have a bridge number dating from 1996. Likewise, a movement assembled in 1996 could sit on the shelf for years until being installed in a case in 2008.

I'm not a mathematician but the probability of the movement/bridge numbers providing any useful (i.e., accurate) information regarding date of manufacture is negligible in my opinion.

And how do we really date a Speedy Pro? Is it the date the bridge was machined and engraved, the date the movement was assembled, the date the watch was assembled, the date the watch left Bienne, or the date it was sold at retail?

If you buy a new Speedy Pro (which I have never done and do not recommend anyone to do), just use the date on your receipt and enjoy.

If you buy pre-owned, don't even worry about dating your Speedy. Your "precious" will give you years of reliable service regardless of its age. (My 105.012 Speedy just returned from its first repair, a "mainspring transplant", after 40+ years of enjoyment.)

Note that some use the date engraved inside the caseback of vintage Speedies (i.e., 105.012-65) as the watch's year of manufacture. Again, the "part's bin" factor could result in a "65" caseback being used in the assembly of a watch in 1969.

For an interesting discussion relating to this issue, check out this thread regarding cal. 321 moments:

(Being relatively new to TRF, I trust it is OK to link to other forums so long as the thread is informative rather than controversial.)

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2010, 06:26 AM   #3
olehandro
"TRF" Member

need some help with my omega 321

Hello John
im looking some info about my watch its Omega 321
Serial number is 24002932
Thanks
olehandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I think the link may have changed - here's the one that I found from that site.

http://ialreadyhaveawatch.com/watch-...mbers-by-year/
Old 14 June 2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Ditch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
Here's the problem with using Ryan's chart (or any chart for that matter):

Every Speedy Pro has a unique number on the escape wheel bridge. (On later model Speedy Pros, this number is also engraved on the back of the 7:00 lug.) Most refer to this as the movement number but more accurately, this number should be called the "escape wheel bridge" number. As they are machined and engraved, these individually numbered bridges are collectively placed in parts bins awaiting assembly into the movements.

During the assembly process, these numbered bridges are randomly selected from the bins and installed along with the other parts. No one takes the time to remove them from the bins in order; i.e., first in, first out. Note that this selection process might permit a bridge to sit in a bin for years before being used.

Once assembled, the movements are "put on the shelf" for later installation in the cases. Again these movements are randomly pulled for installation in the cases. No one takes the time or the effort to insure "first in, first out". It may be some time (even years) before an assembled movement is installed in a case.

Obviously, the parts bin may contain a mixture of bridges produced over the years a particular movement was produced. For example, the cal. 1863 has been in production since the mid-1990s. The parts bin could conceivably contain bridges manufactured and numbered in 1996, or any year since, creating the possibility that a movement assembled in 2008 might have a bridge number dating from 1996. Likewise, a movement assembled in 1996 could sit on the shelf for years until being installed in a case in 2008.

I'm not a mathematician but the probability of the movement/bridge numbers providing any useful (i.e., accurate) information regarding date of manufacture is negligible in my opinion.

And how do we really date a Speedy Pro? Is it the date the bridge was machined and engraved, the date the movement was assembled, the date the watch was assembled, the date the watch left Bienne, or the date it was sold at retail?

If you buy a new Speedy Pro (which I have never done and do not recommend anyone to do), just use the date on your receipt and enjoy.

If you buy pre-owned, don't even worry about dating your Speedy. Your "precious" will give you years of reliable service regardless of its age. (My 105.012 Speedy just returned from its first repair, a "mainspring transplant", after 40+ years of enjoyment.)

Note that some use the date engraved inside the caseback of vintage Speedies (i.e., 105.012-65) as the watch's year of manufacture. Again, the "part's bin" factor could result in a "65" caseback being used in the assembly of a watch in 1969.

For an interesting discussion relating to this issue, check out this thread regarding cal. 321 moments:

(Being relatively new to TRF, I trust it is OK to link to other forums so long as the thread is informative rather than controversial.)

Fr. John+
Very interesting. I've been trying to acquire a 321 105.003. Of the four or five I've checked out, so far not one has lined up correctly with this chart.

http://chronomaddox.com/romans.html

Maybe I should stop being concerned by that?
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2009, 09:33 AM   #6
rdrzman
"TRF" Member

Knowing John R. Diethelm well and having communicated with him many times, I can say he is verry knolageable in most cases. But I also know he has been wrong many times in the past (sorry John please do not hate me my friend) mostly due to the bad record keeping by Omega prior to being sold to the Swatch group and the fact that they have not made an in-house case of movement after the 80's.

The statement that Omega did not make a 321 movement after 1960 is not correct at all, and in fact they assembled them from existing repair parts right up to mid 1968.

That said, Omega did purchase and produce movements in batches especially chronometer grades. The serial numbers will not indicate a actual date of production but will get you close + or- a year.

Most of the 432 movements were supplied pre assembled including the stem but not the dial. Omega simply added the dail and hands and installed the movement into the case.

Omega never sold a replacement serial numbered bridge for repair, if needed they would supply a complete movement but this was done VERY RARELY.
Farel
rdrzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2009, 08:53 PM   #7
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrzman View Post
Omega never sold a replacement serial numbered bridge for repair, if needed they would supply a complete movement but this was done VERY RARELY.
Farel
As they say, "Never say never."

In two instances over the years I have had occasion to replace escape wheel bridges in cal. 186# movements. Both replacements came complete with movement numbers. Perhaps these were isolated incidents but I have had other watchmakers report replacement bridges with numbers. I have yet to confirm a replacement bridge without a number.

As for the cal. 321 movement, Omega may have assembled movements from repair parts through 1969 but it is my understanding that all assembled movements provided to Omega by Lemania ceased in 1960.

As for John Diethelm, it was this email which erroneously reported the model of the Speedmasters worn on the moon.

Quote:
Dave S. posted, on 1 August, 2000 in the (TZ) Omega Forum, an email from Omega PR (John R. Diethelm) regarding the ST 145.0120-67 model:

Dear Sir,

further to your above inquiry, we have compared your information and have therefore the following available details:

* mvt N° xxxxxxxxxx * manual winding chronograph movement of Calibre 321 - 17 jewels * case reference: ST 145.012 - stainless steel * manufactured and delivered to our Agents in Danemark on October 25, 1968.

It is confirmed that the OMEGA Speedmaster chronographs that went to the " Moon " were of identical reference as your above watch.

best regards

John R. Diethelm / Public relations
Mr. Diethelm was not in a position to have actual knowledge of the watches issued to the Apollo astronauts by NASA and worn on the moon. As confirmed by NASA records, most wore the 105.012 and perhaps a 105.003. It is doubtful that a 145.012 made it to the surface although we know that Collins wore one on the Apollo XI command module.

Ah, the history and mystery of the Omega Speedmaster Professional.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
ciclisto

where can i look upnumbers of a sppedmaster racing???
ciclisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 09:55 AM   #9
ciclisto

anyone familliar with dallas watch store
ciclisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 05:08 AM   #10
J.M.K
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 2531.8
I didn't found any newer serial numbers to Omega watches than year 1998. So here is another link to Omega serial numbers. You can find Rolex and Panerai serials there also.
J.M.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Dug
"TRF" Member

Ranchero scam?

I found the below listed watch on line. What should I be aware of before I buy?
"If you are a watch collector you know how rare this watch is. It was only made by Omega a few years in the early 1950's and they sell for $2000 plus in running condition. This particular MINT (professionaly restored) watch has a beautifully re-finished perfect dial, newer OMEGA case and hands, Omega signed crown ,crystal and Railmaster caseback. It has the Omega
cal. 267 17 jewel manual wind movement that keeps very good time. To me the best thing about this Omega Ranchero is its housed in a 39mm case instead of your typical classic watches of that time (30-34mm) which are too small, this size is more like a Rolex submariner. I'm asking $1000 obo (not going to give it away) cash or a possible trade for another OMEGA, Rolex, TAG, or Brietling in MINT condtion. Will send pics of the back (pink gold Omega movement) for serious buyers, must see to appreciate... Go to ebay and type in Omega Ranchero to get an idea of its rarity and value"
Dug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 08:14 AM   #12
watch watcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintages
The links mentioned in this thread appear to now be spam, or a shopping directory of some sort. Here's a good link:

http://chronomaddox.com/omega_serial_numbers.html
watch watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2011, 03:48 AM   #13
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
I can`t find my Seamaster in those charts.Its serial number starts with 6036xxxx.
mitadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2011, 10:59 AM   #14
stdenev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
May be there is some problem with you serial in this case ;)
stdenev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 11:40 PM   #15
maerysleep
"TRF" Member

I can`t discover my Seamaster in those index charts.Its sequential variety begins with 6036xxxx.
maerysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2012, 10:00 PM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Both charts suffer from interpolation errors due to small sample sizes. There were 60xxxxxx SMPs sold in 1998 as well as other Speedy SNs in same range sold in 2000's...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2013, 03:44 PM   #17
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Excellent response jmsrolls! Love my OSP I am assuming the same assembly goes hand in hand for my watch? Needless to say for me I bought my watch and my wife's match omega because I wanted them.

Aloha from Kauai.

Tom
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2014, 05:52 PM   #18
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

I went to the Omega store in the mall and had them look up the date for me. But mine wasn't that old.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2016, 05:42 AM   #19
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

The Speedmaster chart is 12+ years out. I saw a nice Speedy Pro for sale a few weeks ago with an extract from the archives exactly dating it's production to late 1979. It's serial/movement number dated it about 12+ years later on the chronomaddox chart.

Edit - Here you go - http://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/spee...-id4345304.htm
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 06:41 PM   #20
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

store recommendations in Atlanta anyone
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 02:24 PM   #21
Lester
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for sharing
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 05:30 AM   #22
mattmc1973
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Hi all,
All the charts I've seen stop in 2008 with "84---". What year would an Aqua Terra starting with 87--- be from?
mattmc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 01:29 AM   #23
Trustmeimanengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmc1973 View Post
Hi all,
All the charts I've seen stop in 2008 with "84---". What year would an Aqua Terra starting with 87--- be from?
MY 8900 Planet Ocean has 87--- sn and is stamped 03/2018 in AD...and I think 8900 planet ocean debuted in 2016. Though stamping date not necessarily means manufacture date, Maybe 87--- are 86 after, assuming incremental order?
Trustmeimanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:25 PM   #24
Mo-UniqueMen
"TRF" Member

Is there a chart that provides the Omega serial #s?
Mo-UniqueMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 06:50 AM   #25
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

My Seamaster serial is 5000xxxx. No way it was made in 1986?

Correction, looking at wrong number
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 03:41 AM   #26
m92110
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
You must know that.
m92110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 03:42 AM   #27
m92110
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513